The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jett Woo's 2nd game on the left side tonight despite being a right handed shooter.

Its been a rocky game for him, has had several bad reads defensively and hasn't been very conscientious with the puck.  He fumbles a lot with it, almost looks like he is too nervous to handle it. He seems a tad step behind in his skating. 

One thing I do like about him is he isn't afraid to be aggressive skating up, but the transition to pro hockey is showing a bit as he tonight had some trouble gauging when to be aggressive and when to make a safe play.

He is the youngest D, so maybe Cull thought he was perhaps more adaptable.  Or maybe he has played some left D in Junior af some time.  Or maybe he volunteered.  But I agree.  We are not so rich in RHDs that we can potentially stall the development of one by experimenting on his other side.

I assume Eliot didn't play.  He was a reliable right shooting LHD for some games last season, and I think he played LHD after assignment to the ECHL, but I'm not sure on that

Edited by Googlie
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks, but you know, Woo is our future, you would think he is the priority

and to develop him as a RHD

Well, we could demote Rathbone off the taxi and Uber him to Utica. Rathbone is not playing and Chatfield, Hamonic, Brisebois, and Sautner are probably ahead of him.

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks, but you know, Woo is our future, you would think he is the priority

and to develop him as a RHD

Ideally but playing on the offside is also better than the pressbox.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ideally but playing on the offside is also better than the pressbox.

Not to mention that the versatility to be able to play different positions increases the value of almost any player.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Not to mention that the versatility to be able to play different positions increases the value of almost any player.

Yeah, ha, it might help with the way our D is put together. Woo, Hughes, Schmidt, Tryamkin, Benn ... pick a side any side will do. :lol:

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Right now I like the Jett Woo, Rathbone pairing.

Let them build the chemistry in Utica and bring them up as a pair next season (or later this one for a few games if, as rumored, there is no AHL playoffs)