The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

19 minutes ago, Plum said:

And? It depends if you want to see the same culture as the post-Bertuzzi era or a new culture that resembles a hockey team. A penalty in a single regular season game is not a big deal, it's not like we won the game anyways against Toronto. We lost and got beat up. At least the Sedins punished teams on the PP sometimes.

This. Win or lose, I want opposing teams leaving the arena unhappy. Play hard, finish your checks, walk that fine line. It keeps other teams honest and on their toes.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Do you have some sort of medical degree, that makes you think you can diagnose my "problem"?

I'm tired of watching the team get pushed around-Yes.

but I'm more tired of watching them get penalized for stuff other teams get away with.

hard to win if you are shorthanded more than the other guys, true story.

• Vintage 1
Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

This. Win or lose, I want opposing teams leaving the arena unhappy. Play hard, finish your checks, walk that fine line. It keeps other teams honest and on their toes.

And you have to play like that in the playoffs. The regular season games is where you build the chemistry, clean up mistakes so you can master the playing style when you have to play in a 7 game series. It's a process obviously, you can't flick a switch and become a great team. It'll take a disappointing season, some learning experiences (like Edler), but the team should talk about how they plan on reacting after physical altercations. 

3 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Get ready to watch the loses really pile up.

Till the league gives this team the same treatment as other teams, we will continue to be in the box more and at worse times, if we try try to "fight back".

I don't know if it is because:

they have never forgiven the Roger Nielson statue

they have never forgotten the bad press they got from the Bertuzzi fiasco

they have never forgotten Burrows and Augier

maybe still pissed at the orginization for bending the rules with loungo's deal.

Whatever it is, if we play rough we get penalized.

• Hydration 1
15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Get ready to watch the loses really pile up.

Till the league gives this team the same treatment as other teams, we will continue to be in the box more and at worse times, if we try try to "fight back".

I don't know if it is because:

they have never forgiven the Roger Nielson statue

they have never forgotten the bad press they got from the Bertuzzi fiasco

they have never forgotten Burrows and Augier

maybe still pissed at the orginization for bending the rules with loungo's deal.

Whatever it is, if we play rough we get penalized.

I get what you’re saying, but I think wins and losses sort of even themselves out when you play games this way. Some games the penalties end up burning you, other games the other team ends up playing on their toes and we get to control the pace. I don’t want a team of goons, I want a team that plays hard. And this current lineup doesn’t fit that description. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Make the entire team watch Chris Pronger videos !

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

Maybe not quite that far, Pronger couldn’t go 3 games without getting suspended if he played now haha. 

Pronger would be able adjust and play on that edge. Very smart player.

I don’t worship at the altar of Pronger though. I’d prefer a league where his kind of ass-foolery wouldn’t be necessary. But I’ve been watching this game for a long time and the type of tail-between-their-legs approach of this team is too much to take sometimes. Way, way, way too soft in my mind with little fire and little indication that they have any idea how to impose their will on a game. 

• Hydration 3

Some interesting stats (not Woo related) .....

This season, so far, we rank 20th in penalties called against us, and 29th in Powerplay Opportunuties

2019-20 we ranked 10th most shorthanded, and 2nd in PP opportunities

Previous year we were 7th shorthanded and 8th in opportunities

2017-18 we were 3rd most shorthanded and 16th in PP opportunities 

2016-17 we were 23rd (tied) shorthanded (only 4 teams with fewer) and 28th in PP opportunities

Doesn't seem to be much factual evidence to support the notion that the NHL and the refs are "out to get us"

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, Googlie said:

This season, so far, we rank 20th in penalties called against us, and 29th in Powerplay Opportunuties

2016-17 we were 23rd (tied) shorthanded (only 4 teams with fewer) and 28th in PP opportunities

Doesn't seem to be much factual evidence to support the notion that the NHL and the refs are "out to get us"

Unfortunately this bogeyman is alive and well in this town and some corners of these forums. I don’t know how much the victim’s mentality pervades the actions of the players on the ice and it’s really presumptuous to judge the boys during their present travails, but I’ve felt for a long time that we have a team that often is not able to deal effectively with adversity. Way too soft and fragile despite appearances during last year’s bubble that they were growing their adult teeth.

Edited by zimmy

What do people think are the odds of Woo playing in the big league next season? With Tryamkin out of the picture now, the defense needs a shot-in-the-arm of toughness. I’d think that gives Woo an advantage. He’s still young, but it might be his time to shine in October.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, Slegr said:

What do people think are the odds of Woo playing in the big league next season? With Tryamkin out of the picture now, the defense needs a shot-in-the-arm of toughness. I’d think that gives Woo an advantage. He’s still young, but it might be his time to shine in October.

Still needs another year IMO, with injury call ups.

I think a more comfortable Schmidt, another year more experienced Juolevi and adding Rathbone will be enough for now.

Biggest question IMO is who partners Hughes? Hamonic is a solid option, as are Savard or Larsson.

Hughes, Hamonic/Savard/Larsson

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

... Is a solid D core.

• Upvote 2

Before season's end I'd like to see a handful of games with Rafferty partnering Hughes.  We assume that the ideal partner would be a defensively minded, tough, yet somewhat mobile player, but what if the ideal is actually another top flight puck moving defenseman?  Forecheckers couldn't double team either for fear that the other would quickly initiate a counter attack.  Worth a look anyway.  And Rafferty does have good wheels.

(A bit dated now, given that he's played 1 game in 12 months or so, but still a good read ...........)

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-farmhouse-brogan-rafferty-is-killing-it-with-the-utica-comets-2078423

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Slegr said:

Sorry who is Tryamkin ?

Sounds like a big lump o’ chump.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Sorry who is Tryamkin ?

Sounds like a big lump o’ chump.

Similar ( but better ) to Eric Gudbranson and we spent $4 mill per season for him on a three year contract

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Similar ( but better ) to Eric Gudbranson and we spent $4 mill per season for him on a three year contract

I can't imagine Woo hitting the Canucks roster after 1 year in the AHL ( Partial season ) pretty fast for a second round defenseman. Chatfield may make it though 

Edited by Fred65
On 4/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, Googlie said:

Until you actually analyze the infractions. Canucks get called for way higher a percentage of the infractions they do than our opposition in games we play