The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 hours ago, ftmN said:

anyone have anything of note about jett's game today? Unfortunately I missed the game

He played solid, I was impressed by his mobility.  Unfortunately Calgary iced such a $&!# roster there wasn't much of a chance to see how he defends against quality NHL players to get a gauge on where he is at. Hopefully they give him a chance to play against better competition as we have a glaring hole on the right side with the potential of Hamonic not playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jett Woo | Ready to Take Flight in Abby:

The Abbotsford Canucks are fortunate to have multiple top prospects suiting up for them this season, but one of the most intriguing names in that group has to be Jett Woo. The Winnipeg, MB product has drawn comparisons to Kevin Bieksa and appears to be on the fast track to Vancouver. However, before he gets a chance to play at Rogers Arena, he will be giving the home crowd at Abbotsford Centre something to cheer about with Johnny Canuck across his chest.

Woo spent his offseason back home in Winnipeg. He was able to get some work in on the ice while also taking some time to visit with family. The life of a hockey player in this country can at times feel lonely and stressful, so taking advantage of every opportunity afforded to you to be around family and friends is vital.

“My offseason went well,” said Woo after practice on Wednesday. “I was able to start skating mid-summer and it was nice to be healthy this offseason. I was able to get up to the lake a few times and it was just nice to be training at home for me.”

The Vancouver Canucks selected Jett Woo in the second round of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. The 21-year-old was a star in juniors, lighting up the Western Hockey League as a member of the Moose Jaw Warriors and the Calgary Hitmen. Woo showed the promise of a two-way defender in the WHL, tallying 33 goals, 127 assists and 230 penalty minutes, while registering a whopping +63 through 242 games. He also netted a pair of goals and assisted on six others through 30 playoff games.

Woo made the difficult transition to professional hockey last season with the Utica Comets, and unsurprisingly, he held his own. He scored two goals and added three assists through 28 contests in the Covid shortened season. Most impressive of all, Woo registered a +7 during his rookie campaign.

“Jett’s got a lot of fire,” says fellow Canucks d-man, Ashton Sautner. “He’s a guy who is hard to play against and he plays a lot bigger than his size. I’m excited to work with him and hopefully we can do great things together this season.”

Billed as an all-around defender, there is little Jett Woo isn’t capable of on the ice. However, he is self-aware and knows he must polish his game if he plans on making a lasting impact with the Vancouver Canucks in the future. It’s exciting to see a young player who understands what he needs to do to better himself and the team.

“I have standards for myself that I want to accomplish,” said Woo on how he judges his game. “My goal is to be a player who can play in any situation, so that’s what I am going to be focusing on this year. It’ll be great to be part of this organization for another season so I can learn the systems to hopefully make that leap to the next level.”

Fans in Abbotsford will have the treat of watching Jett Woo develop this season. He represents a key piece to the future of the Canucks organization while also playing a critical role in the success of the Abbotsford Canucks in 2021.22. If you’re a Vancouver Canucks’ fan, you’ll want to keep a close eye on how the kids on the farm out in the Fraser Valley are developing this season.

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/news/jett-woo-ready-to-take-flight-in-abby

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, Coconuts said:

Promising, we really need him to work out 

Not much depth at RD as far as prospects go

Yah, it would be great if he works out and is able to be an elite shutdown defenseman like Tanev was.  Luckily for us though even if he still doesn't work out, defensive D are easier to find on the open market than offensive D and we have that locked down for the next 6 years.  Our right side depth actually looks better at this point than our left side depth though.  It's a huge dropoff after Hughes and OEL, while Burroughs has proven to be a very capable D on the right side, then we have Schenn, and Bowey also looked good in the preseason.  It would be great if we were able to have a shutdown D on our left side so a guy like Schenn doesn't have to play his off side.  After OEL and Hughes we have Rathbone (who needs some refinement on his defensive game), and the Hunt who doesn't belong in the NHL.  I think if anything, that might be something we look to get before the trade deadline.  Also, do we really have any prospects besides Rathbone who is a LD?

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yah, it would be great if he works out and is able to be an elite shutdown defenseman like Tanev was.  Luckily for us though even if he still doesn't work out, defensive D are easier to find on the open market than offensive D and we have that locked down for the next 6 years.  Our right side depth actually looks better at this point than our left side depth though.  It's a huge dropoff after Hughes and OEL, while Burroughs has proven to be a very capable D on the right side, then we have Schenn, and Bowey also looked good in the preseason.  It would be great if we were able to have a shutdown D on our left side so a guy like Schenn doesn't have to play his off side.  After OEL and Hughes we have Rathbone (who needs some refinement on his defensive game), and the Hunt who doesn't belong in the NHL.  I think if anything, that might be something we look to get before the trade deadline.  Also, do we really have any prospects besides Rathbone who is a LD?

Our right side looks alright with Hamonic back, but when you look towards the future things look more uncertain. Myers and Hamonic are both 31 with Myers turning 32 in February, and Poolman is 28. It's a lot cheaper to integrate prospects than compete with every other team for UFA D. Woo and Persson are our only RD prospects of note, and Woo's a lot closer. Though we've got Myrenburg now too. At 24 I'm not sure I'd consider Juulson a prospect, he's closer to a finished product at this point. He can always improve, but he largely is what he is. We should be fine for 2-3 years, but we absolutely need more D prospects in the system. 

As for LD, there's Jurmo, Utunen, Truscott, and Gabrielsson. Jurmo's got some great physical tools and Utunen's probably slept on. But yeah, nothing that really screams blue chip. 

This is why I'm such a strong advocate of keeping or acquiring picks, most of our top end guys have graduated to the bigs and we should really continue to focus on building quality prospect depth. Hopefully this coming draft we find a way to draft more D, though BPA is the way to go. 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Our right side looks alright with Hamonic back, but when you look towards the future things look more uncertain. Myers and Hamonic are both 31 with Myers turning 32 in February, and Poolman is 28. It's a lot cheaper to integrate prospects than compete with every other team for UFA D. Woo and Persson are our only RD prospects of note, and Woo's a lot closer. Though we've got Myrenburg now too. At 24 I'm not sure I'd consider Juulson a prospect, he's closer to a finished product at this point. He can always improve, but he largely is what he is. We should be fine for 2-3 years, but we absolutely need more D prospects in the system. 

As for LD, there's Jurmo, Utunen, Truscott, and Gabrielsson. Jurmo's got some great physical tools and Utunen's probably slept on. But yeah, nothing that really screams blue chip. 

This is why I'm such a strong advocate of keeping or acquiring picks, most of our top end guys have graduated to the bigs and we should really continue to focus on building quality prospect depth. Hopefully this coming draft we find a way to draft more D, though BPA is the way to go. 

I think this draft is the draft to make as many picks for RHD as much as possible.

Obviously, take the BPA in the first round, but after that, assuming we hold on to all of our picks, to pick the best RHD when we choose. 

On 11/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, Coconuts said:

Promising, we really need him to work out 

Not much depth at RD as far as prospects go

I think Woo could be a good third pairing defenseman in the NHL. 

15-17 min kind of player for the Canucks?

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think this draft is the draft to make as many picks for RHD as much as possible.

Obviously, take the BPA in the first round, but after that, assuming we hold on to all of our picks, to pick the best RHD when we choose. 

I'd def like to see emphasis on grabbing some skill on D, and RD would be preferable yeah. I don't see us using our first on a D but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the player belongs where we're picking or higher.  

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Woo could be a good third pairing defenseman in the NHL. 

15-17 min kind of player for the Canucks?

I don't see why he couldn't be a top 4 guy, he's got a good skill set and reasonable size. He plays with some sandpaper and has demonstrated the ability to put up points at the junior level. Can that translate? Will it? Hard to say, but not all top 4 guys are big points guys. I don't see why he couldn't grow into a 3 or 4? Could def see him being a solid bottom pairing guy.

He's only 21, I don't wanna try and put a limit on what he can do. He's a good prospect though, no doubt. With two years left til we've got to re-up him there's a lot of learning and growth to be had between now and then. 

Edited by Coconuts

21 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd def like to see emphasis on grabbing some skill on D, and RD would be preferable yeah. I don't see us using our first on a D but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the player belongs where we're picking or higher.  

I don't see why he couldn't be a top 4 guy, he's got a good skill set and reasonable size. He plays with some sandpaper and has demonstrated the ability to put up points at the junior level. Can that translate? Will it? Hard to say, but not all top 4 guys are big points guys. I don't see why he couldn't grow into a 3 or 4? Could def see him being a solid bottom pairing guy.

He's only 21, I don't wanna try and put a limit on what he can do. He's a good prospect though, no doubt. With two years left til we've got to re-up him there's a lot of learning and growth to be had between now and then. 

I mean, I'm hopeful that he can become a top four defenseman. I see him more as a bottom pairing guy. Like you say, though, he's only 21 years old, so I don't really want to put a limit as to what he can or cannot do. I hope he gets a few calls up this year for him to experience NHL hockey and players and he'll know what he needs to work on. 

• Upvote 1