The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

• 3 weeks later...

Utunen is #21 on Nucks Misconduct’s top 25 under 25:

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/9/9/22664483/2021-vancouver-canucks-top-25-under-25-21-toni-utunen

Of note, this preseason has seen Utunen shift to the right side, which can only help his odds, if he can prove himself a capable RHD option, given the organization being thinner on that side.

I guess for many of our young European prospects, our camp comes at an inconvenient time as their seasons have already started.   If they are not signed, with a chance to play in Abbotsford if not making the big team, it's a huge chunk of time out of their schedules

• 1 month later...

Looks good

On 9/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Googlie said:

I guess for many of our young European prospects, our camp comes at an inconvenient time as their seasons have already started.   If they are not signed, with a chance to play in Abbotsford if not making the big team, it's a huge chunk of time out of their schedules

On 9/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Utunen is #21 on Nucks Misconduct’s top 25 under 25:

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/9/9/22664483/2021-vancouver-canucks-top-25-under-25-21-toni-utunen

Of note, this preseason has seen Utunen shift to the right side, which can only help his odds, if he can prove himself a capable RHD option, given the organization being thinner on that side.

Green doesn’t seem to care for using D on their offside, I think because of difficulty getting up the boards on your backhand. This is the best list of NHLers I could find that mostly play opposite side. Courtesy of DoctorBreakfast:

1. Nate Schmidt
2. Niklas Hjalmarsson
3. Ivan Provorov
4. Mikhail Sergachev
5. Erik Gustafsson
6. T.J. Brodie
7. Jordie Benn
8. Alec Martinez
9. Trevor Daley
10. Kris Russell

It doesn’t compare too well with the list that could be presented of D playing on their natural side. 

• 1 month later...

And now, ofc, we have a dearth of left hand defencemen.  We sure could use Fantenberg right about now. ... was a mistake not keeping him - he's thriving in the KHL.... +19 last season and +5 this.

Wonder if Utunen will come to camp next year?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why?  Very small D (left shot) who brings no offence.  

Could be someone that we could use down on the farm at least. Hope this kid still has a shot with us in the organization or just another mid-late pick that never materialized. We need young blood on the farm. Maybe Toni can still be an effective defensive defenceman. Or maybe I’m just starving for someone anyone in the pipeline to rise up and be a part of our D corps be it eventually on the big club or depth on the farm.

Edited by EP Phone Home

8 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Could be someone that we could use down on the farm at least. Hope this kid still has a shot with us in the organization or just another mid-late pick that never materialized. We need young blood on the farm. Maybe Toni can still be an effective defensive defenceman. Or maybe I’m just starving for someone anyone in the pipeline to rise up and be a part of our D corps be it eventually on the big club or depth on the farm.

He’s tiny and brings no offence.  Hunt is (always has been) a far superior player.  Little D who bring no offence have no chance here.  They are pretty much a wasted pick.  A guy like Rathbone has huge offence.  Hughes is a phenom with the puck.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He’s tiny and brings no offence.  Hunt is (always has been) a far superior player.  Little D who bring no offence have no chance here.  They are pretty much a wasted pick.  A guy like Rathbone has huge offence.  Hughes is a phenom with the puck.  

Well one way to enjoy success is to reduce the goals against and the PK

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well one way to enjoy success is to reduce the goals against and the PK

Utonen wont help with that.  We saw Hughes was great at the PK.

Persson in Kamloops is a bigger guy (6’2 and 200 pounds) and he’s very good defensively.  I see him doing really well in Abbotsford next year.