The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

5 minutes ago, logic said:

Picks like these are what makes a GM like Benning very valuable, people gotta remember Vancouver was his first full time gig and he definitely had a learning curve and made some questionable moves now I think JB is starting to figure it out.

Cant get much more value for a 5th than this guy, could be another Gaudette for us

Yup, really like this pick, and this whole JB draft - again.  It's like JB finds players under rocks!

Considering JB's success at the draft, and the obvious high ceiling of his rebuild, I hope we keep him longer than just the three years on his contract.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, really like this pick, and this whole JB draft - again.  It's like JB finds players under rocks!

Considering JB's success at the draft, and the obvious high ceiling of his rebuild, I hope we keep him longer than just the three years on his contract.

nah jb is just a lucky guy

cuz i hear he spends a lot of his time searching under rocks

for guardian

and certain players just happen to be uncovered at the same time

:P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, pretty much.

I mean, I like the Utunen pick well enough, but you need to seriously tweak his stats to make him any kind of historical standout.

And is it really doing Utunen any favours to use filters to make his U18 scoring appear comparable to guys like Laine?

It’s like with Matt Thiessen (another pick I like). If you want, you can make his numbers look pretty amazing.

Among all U18 goaltenders drafted from the MJHL, Thiessen’s 0.923 Sv% in 2017-18 ranks 1st all-time!

Of course, Thiessen is also the only goalie to ever get drafted out of that league.

Elite Prospects’ filters are really handy and can be a lot of fun. But they can also create some pretty misleading results.

They do say out of posters who make such cautionary statements, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME is first all time.

• Haha 2

On 2018-06-27 at 11:54 AM, coastal.view said:

i think this is all part of the canucks current austerity program

they are hoping to save money on clothing materials costs

smaller size.. less fabric required.. hence money saved

i heard management is no longer permitted to draft or sign anyone over 6 feet tall

next up is skate size... . size 10 or less..... updated reports will be forthcoming as warranted

they also likely eat less.. overall this trend is a good financial move

Yep, the Canucks want to start buying skates by the pound and sticks by the foot.

On 2018-06-24 at 8:41 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Utunen and Madden could both pan out down the road a bit ...there is some upside too both ...I just hope one of these Left shooting D. men can play the right side....

We could have 4 guys from this draft make it...you never know...even Atom Man has a chance....

Pretty sure Hughes could play center if he wanted too... 

The mighty Quinn legend continues to grow. Larger than life. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2018 at 11:54 AM, coastal.view said:

i think this is all part of the canucks current austerity program

they are hoping to save money on clothing materials costs

smaller size.. less fabric required.. hence money saved

i heard management is no longer permitted to draft or sign anyone over 6 feet tall

next up is skate size... . size 10 or less..... updated reports will be forthcoming as warranted

they also likely eat less.. overall this trend is a good financial move

...and think of the savings in broken sticks.

57 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Pretty sure Hughes could play center if he wanted too... 

The mighty Quinn legend continues to grow. Larger than life. 

Poor Hughes, on this team he can't use either of the numbers that really mean something to him, 6 or 16, and he can't even go by the name "the Mighty Quinn", because that name is attached to the big Irishman who was pretty much revered in this city. The team shrink may have some work to do on the poor kid's identity issues.

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Channeling his inner Keith Ballard at 2:40 and again at 2:52 against a slovak

Edited by Odd.

He looks like Hughes light in the highlight pkg....solid on the puck, skates well and pinpoint passing as well as the same ability Hughes has to strip pucks away...

In one swell foop our whole D. has been transformed and with 4 D in the AHL looking like at least one of them will make it (Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner and McEneny)...it seems we just need brother Jack to come our way and the Cups should start rolling in by 2020...!

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Poor Hughes, on this team he can't use either of the numbers that really mean something to him, 6 or 16, and he can't even go by the name "the Mighty Quinn", because that name is attached to the big Irishman who was pretty much revered in this city. The team shrink may have some work to do on the poor kid's identity issues.

He played #43 in college, so maybe he takes that.  Also...

https://streamable.com/l1wv7

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

He played #43 in college, so maybe he takes that.  Also...

https://streamable.com/l1wv7

I like the Hughes-roadrunner clip, and it alleviates the worries many have over his size/durability. The coyote is much bigger than the roadrunner and determined to eat him, but how much did that ever benefit him? Pretty hard to catch/hit someone who is smarter, faster and more agile.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He could go by ‘Mr Fabulous.” 

The ‘Midget Quinn’

But I don’t think Pat Quinn would mind a namesake that uses the moniker ‘Mighty Quinn’. The Canucks need a Quinn around.