The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Isn't he too much of a puck handler to play with Pettersson?

I'm not going to claim to know too much about him, other than what I've read and seen of him in the last 15 or so minutes, but I can't fathom that having too many guys that can handle the puck well on a line is a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Isn't he too much of a puck handler to play with Pettersson?

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

My initial hope is that we land Boldy. He''d look real good playing with Pettersson and Boeser.

This is where I'm at too. Could still change for me, but Boldy does alot of things well & I think he could have 30+ g 60+ pt upside playing with a good center. While bringing size, compete & a 200ft game. Travis talks about wanting guys we can "win with", Boldy could fit right in. 

As far as being a puckhandler. He seems good at retrieving pucks & battling. He's good handling the puck but I've never got the sense he's selfish or needs to have the puck all the time, or anything like that. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Grape said:

It should always be best player available. Just kind of sucks that there's not really a player that I think we necessarily need.

We have EP and BB, but then we need a winger for Horvat. Horvat's already kind of a power forward at centre ice, and so I would've liked someone on the wing who is skilled and shifty. Outside of BB and Baer, we really don't have any "skilled" wingers, and that's a problem. I feel like drafting a Boldy of type player is sort of redundant.

But again, it should always be BPA, so whoever is there take em.

Means the pick gets traded.... I hear Winnipeg has some right handed defensemen and doesn't have a 1st rounder this year :bigblush:

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is where I'm at too. Could still change for me, but Boldy does alot of things well & I think he could have 30+ g 60+ pt upside playing with a good center. While bringing size, compete & a 200ft game. Travis talks about wanting guys we can "win with", Boldy could fit right in. 

As far as being a puckhandler. He seems good at retrieving pucks & battling. He's good handling the puck but I've never got the sense he's selfish or needs to have the puck all the time, or anything like that. 

I've being seeing a few Mark Stone comparisons. Sounds like exactly what we need to play with Petey and Boes.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Finesse players? We've got that in Baertschi. 

IMO, Boldy is what this team needs on the left side. 6'2 will fill out to be 200lbs+, that plays a Selke kind of game. Think Mark Stone. 

My only problem is that I honestly don't know if Boldy is the BPA. This is why I really hate the fact that we've fallen to 10th. Like who do we chose, lmao. No clear cut favourite, lots of boom or bust type players from the 7th-12th range

Really sucks.

Baertschi won't be playing much longer at the rate of his concussions. One more and he's done for. Best to plan as if we won't have him and if he's still around and not clogging up the lineup when he's here, it's a bonus.

I think these rankings which came out today from Sam on Sportsnet are excellent rankings:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-april/

interestingly enough the one spot I don’t really agree with is #10 as I don’t really want Krebs. However chances are at least one of those top 9 will be available which would be excellent. If not I’d be happy with #11 kaliyev and his 51 goals and 102 points.  Wouldn’t mind a Swedish D-man either. 

• Upvote 1

Well, now we know where we're picking. Everyone can bear down & focus on the guys potentially available. U18's right around the corner, alot of these guys in our range are going to be there.

@ItalianCanuck1 I think the 4 names you listed are the ones I'm most interested in, can't wait to see them at U18's.

Atleast this annual day of disappointment is over & the playoffs are starting tommorrow.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I was sure I read that he was committed to Michigan already next year unless of course, he plays in the NHL. Unfortunately, I can't find it right now so it's very possible that I am wrong and could be miss remembering. 

I think that’s the youngest boy, Logan, who has committed to Michigan.  

7 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I think these rankings which came out today from Sam on Sportsnet are excellent rankings:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-april/

interestingly enough the one spot I don’t really agree with is #10 as I don’t really want Krebs. However chances are at least one of those top 9 will be available which would be excellent. If not I’d be happy with #11 kaliyev and his 51 goals and 102 points.  Wouldn’t mind a Swedish D-man either. 

Interesting.. After seeing Krebs play a couple times, I would even rank him higher than tenth. He's shown great vision and IQ, similar to a Barzal/Point/Marner in terms of just playmaking to go with his high motor. I would be happy if he was available at 10th, however Soderstrom also peaks my interest at 10th.

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Finesse players? We've got that in Baertschi. 

IMO, Boldy is what this team needs on the left side. 6'2 will fill out to be 200lbs+, that plays a Selke kind of game. Think Mark Stone. 

My only problem is that I honestly don't know if Boldy is the BPA. This is why I really hate the fact that we've fallen to 10th. Like who do we chose, lmao. No clear cut favourite, lots of boom or bust type players from the 7th-12th range

Really sucks.

Love Baer but he's nowhere close to being a guy that can be a major factor on a cup winning team. I think if he's your most skilled winger then there's a problem.

We don't have that much of a dynamic factor on the wing. Right now it's just guys that can shoot the puck like BB and JV, or average 2nd liners like Pearson or Baer. I really want to see play drivers with speed and skill blazing down the wing to match up with our talent at centre ice right now. Boeser is sick but he's not that type of player, Baertschi is a fringe top 6 guy on a competitive team, and Virtanen doesn't have enough skill and "IQ" to be that guy. 

And it's not like our centre ice is full of playmakers. We have EP who is the best version of that, but Bo is more of a power forward at centre ice and Gaudette is too early to tell. Just my honest opinion. I'd really like to see someone on the wing who can control the puck with speed and take over.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Kaliyev is interesting. Scores a ton of goals. A real offensive threat. I'm partial to Boldy myself, as I think he's exactly the type of player we need to play alongside Petey and Boes, but Kaliyev does have more offensive potential. I just wonder how well he would mesh with Petey and Boes. From the highlights I've seen, he scores quite a few of his goals from the same place that Petey scores, and I've read that he's rather one dimensional.

Still, and intriguing player. 

This is going to be a real tough one...

Depends entirely on how the chips fall on draft day.

Major question in my mind: How good is Alex Newhook, really?

On our radar should be...

Turcotte (not likely to be available, but I would be thrilled to land him)

Boldy

Zegras

Broberg

Soderstrom

Caufield

I think somebody's going to fall though.

Maybe it's Podkolzin due to Russian factor? Maybe we draft him and he proves everybody wrong? Maybe he and Pettersson become a dream duo?

Maybe we won today? ::D

5 minutes ago, Grape said:

Love Baer but he's nowhere close to being a guy that can be a major factor on a cup winning team. I think if he's your most skilled winger then there's a problem.

We don't have that much of a dynamic factor on the wing. Right now it's just guys that can shoot the puck like BB and JV, or average 2nd liners like Pearson or Baer. I really want to see play drivers with speed and skill blazing down the wing to match up with our talent at centre ice right now. Boeser is sick but he's not that type of player, Baertschi is a fringe top 6 guy on a competitive team, and Virtanen doesn't have enough skill and "IQ" to be that guy. 

And it's not like our centre ice is full of playmakers. We have EP who is the best version of that, but Bo is more of a power forward at centre ice and Gaudette is too early to tell. Just my honest opinion. I'd really like to see someone on the wing who can control the puck with speed and take over.

Caufield?

35 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Oh come on, either you completely can't see emotions on someone's face or you didn't watch his interview after. I thought it was fairly obvious.

Nah. That's really just blatantly assuming. You don't know the kid and his temperament, so you can't just blatantly assume emotions. Everyone carries themselves differently.

I think you were expecting him to be upset because NJD got 1st overall, and you're just matching your expectations with his expressions. I know I'm being hypocritical by assuming what you were thinking now :P, but it's just a guess

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

Interesting.. After seeing Krebs play a couple times, I would even rank him higher than tenth. He's shown great vision and IQ, similar to a Barzal/Point/Marner in terms of just playmaking to go with his high motor. I would be happy if he was available at 10th, however Soderstrom also peaks my interest at 10th.

Kreb’s is tough to judge because his team has been so bad but I just feel if you are truly an elite level player at the CHL level you should dominate almost regardless of your team but of course having good players around you would make at least a little difference.