The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

It’s interesting to see that during the 2016 WHL Bantam draft it was Peyton Krebs  that was drafted #1 ahead of Dach, Byram and Cozens !

He is very highly regarded and I would not be at all disappointed if he was the Canucks first pick !

He has skill, talent and heart........reasons for his being picked # 1 with the WHL draft in the first place !

He plays a lot under all kinds of circumstances on a very poor team so his - 50 and 19 goals wouldn’t be a concern !

Lol.....I have followed the Canucks draft fortunes since our very first pick of Dale Tallon back in 1970 and its very very rare that the team would draft whom we all would like to see them draft !

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Kaliyev is interesting. Scores a ton of goals. A real offensive threat. I'm partial to Boldy myself, as I think he's exactly the type of player we need to play alongside Petey and Boes, but Kaliyev does have more offensive potential. I just wonder how well he would mesh with Petey and Boes. From the highlights I've seen, he scores quite a few of his goals from the same place that Petey scores, and I've read that he's rather one dimensional.

Still, and intriguing player. 

I would slightly prefer Boldy as well.  A lot of these guys look like they will be great players but for whatever reason there’s always guys in the top 10 that don’t work out should be interesting.

wouldn’t be completely against trading the pick for a proven player just to avoid that risk. 

Edited by brian42

6 minutes ago, nergish said:

This is going to be a real tough one...

Depends entirely on how the chips fall on draft day.

Major question in my mind: How good is Alex Newhook, really?

On our radar should be...

Turcotte (not likely to be available, but I would be thrilled to land him)

Boldy

Zegras

Broberg

Soderstrom

Caufield

I think somebody's going to fall though.

Maybe it's Podkolzin due to Russian factor? Maybe we draft him and he proves everybody wrong? Maybe he and Pettersson become a dream duo?

Maybe we won today? ::D

Or maybe we go full crazy and draft  brink.

Nolan Foote?  6'3 and 190lbs... will probably gain another 15 pounds of so in a few more years.... the pedigree is there.  

Then there's Alex Vlasic (no relations to Vlasic in SJS from what I can tell)... 6'6 and 200lbs, left shooting defenseman.  

No idea on their actual style of play... just players that kind of stuck out when looking at the rankings.  Both are late 1st or 2nd rounders though.  

Maybe the Canucks can trade down for more assets.... since it seems the team are able to find gems later in the draft.  

Any more info on Moritz Seider?  #6 European skater... so around the time when the Canucks will be drafting.  6'4, 183lbs (almost 200lbs on his wiki) RHD and playing in the DEL with Mannheim.  Quoted as the best German defenseman since Christian Ehrhoff.  18 years old and already playing top-4 minutes and on the PP for his team against men.  Supposed to be mobile and with good instinct... whatever that actually means.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Nolan Foote?  6'3 and 190lbs... will probably gain another 15 pounds of so in a few more years.... the pedigree is there.  

Then there's Alex Vlasic (no relations to Vlasic in SJS from what I can tell)... 6'6 and 200lbs, left shooting defenseman.  

No idea on their actual style of play... just players that kind of stuck out when looking at the rankings.  Both are late 1st or 2nd rounders though.  

Maybe the Canucks can trade down for more assets.... since it seems the team are able to find gems later in the draft.  

Any more info on Moritz Seider?  #6 European skater... so around the time when the Canucks will be drafting.  6'4, 183lbs (almost 200lbs on his wiki) RHD and playing in the DEL with Mannheim.  Quoted as the best German defenseman since Christian Ehrhoff.  18 years old and already playing top-4 minutes and on the PP for his team against men.  Supposed to be mobile and with good instinct... whatever that actually means.  

Foote's footspeed is lacking and vlasic is actually a cousin of marc eduard vlasic.  Vlasic is big, but lacks alot in many depts. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

I'd be pretty happy with soderstrom as the top ranked RD but I've also never seen so much as a highlight package from him and this opinion is 100% based on him being the top ranked RD.

Like the Boqvist comparison.

Don't like what I read about this dman class.

So I'm kind of against drafting Caulfield, as his size scares the crap out of me. 

That being said, the skill is undeniable and I'm willing to bet he's one of Benning's prime targets. If we were to draft him, I imagine he'd eventually be playing on Horvat's right side?

• Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So I'm kind of against drafting Caulfield, as his size scares the crap out of me. 

That being said, the skill is undeniable and I'm willing to bet he's one of Benning's prime targets. If we were to draft him, I imagine he'd eventually be playing on Horvat's right side?

Yeah for sure, but i can also see zegras because of his versatility of playing all three forward positions.

3 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

So it is pretty much guaranteed one of Boldy, Krebs or Soderstrom is available at 10 ::D not the end of the world to be honest. Picks 3-12 are very close and might even be interchangeable (Turcotte and Byram might have an edge).

A top 3 pick would have been awesome, that said the top 12 look solid and there will be a good player and a team need available when we pick.  

Glad the Lanche didnt get the 1st OA and neither did Edmonton.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sinbin19 said:

It’s interesting to see that during the 2016 WHL Bantam draft it was Peyton Krebs  that was drafted #1 ahead of Dach, Byram and Cozens !

He is very highly regarded and I would not be at all disappointed if he was the Canucks first pick !

He has skill, talent and heart........reasons for his being picked # 1 with the WHL draft in the first place !

He plays a lot under all kinds of circumstances on a very poor team so his - 50 and 19 goals wouldn’t be a concern !

Lol.....I have followed the Canucks draft fortunes since our very first pick of Dale Tallon back in 1970 and its very very rare that the team would draft whom we all would like to see them draft !

Not to take a shot at Krebs, but Virtanen & Pouliot were also #1 picks in the bantam draft. Doesn't necessarily mean alot.