The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe look at trading the pick now that we are 10th.

What if the Jets were to make Jacob Trouba available

Now yer talkin'.  More would have to be added, but Trouba would be a true #1 and rhd too boot.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like the idea, I'd rather trade down a spot or three and acquire an extra pick or two or trade the pick as part of a package for a D like Trouba. D needs work and I'm not really sold on the big names in this ufa group when it comes to D.

56 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

So it is pretty much guaranteed one of Boldy, Krebs or Soderstrom is available at 10 ::D not the end of the world to be honest. Picks 3-12 are very close and might even be interchangeable (Turcotte and Byram might have an edge).

I would just add Zegras.

we should get one of Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Soderstrom 

id be happy with any of them tbh.

lets just hope whoever we pick turns out better than who Chicago picks at 3.

that would be a big win! :)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I would just add Zegras.

we should get one of Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Soderstrom 

id be happy with any of them tbh.

lets just hope whoever we pick turns out better than who Chicago picks at 3.

that would be a big win! :)

Yes, I would hope Zegras is available too.

• Upvote 1

I personally like Harley and Newhook.  Both ranked lower than 10.  But Newhook is a tank and committed to developing in college.  While Harley is both big and talented but is cursed to us by being another LHD.  

I haven't been able to find any highlight videos of Harley. Broberg looks good in his highlight video but when I watched him live in Victoria he didn't wow me. Branstrom was by far the best Swedish defence man and Sandin was second. When I read scouting reports about Soderstrom it reminds me of Rasmus Sandin. 

Boldy I think would be a good LW with Horvat.(Some people say Mark Stone but the scouting reports also remind me of Boeser)  Newhook has better skating than Boldy but taking him might be risky. Caufield and Kaliyev are the two of the best scorers in this draft. If we are looking for another Pettersson like upset it will most likely be with one of these two guys or Boldy. 

Another thought might be to see if we can trade up to #7 or #8  (we could pick a different caliber of player in this range)

3 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Zegras, Broberg, Soderstrom and Boldy should be there at 10, my choices in that order.. Too bad Broberg isn't a RD, otherwise I'd have him as my first choice but with is elite speed and hockey IQ he could be taught to play the right side as a lefty as many Dmen do...

Broberg hockey IQ? First time I’ve read that. Have you watched him play any Swedish games jc? I haven’t 

As I think about the upcoming draft I have been thinking about who to draft at 10th, I will start with 2 players that if they were to drop a few spots I would love to get is Dylan Cozens & Kirby Dach.  Both seem to be good strong players that can play with an edge and are from the "W" ( I am partial to Western Canadian guys).  I have always felt that the teams from the WHL are players that play a heavier more aggressive game and those are the kind of players I think we nee to draft to complement our smaller skilled forwards.

If these guys don't slip to 10th I also like Matthew Boldy or Ryan Suzuki.  Both shoot left and can play wing or center as we could use left side scoring.  As far as the best dman around our position, I would be interested in Victor Soderstrom.  I am a little unclear but I do believe he is a right shot dman.

Lastly, a player that has caught my eye is Raphael Lavoie.  I know he is ranked between 14 and 17 by many.  He is 6' 4" and weighs around 192 lb. and can skate real well.  He also seems to have a good shot and is good on the puck down low, scoring in close.  I would be curious about what you think of all these guys but especially Raphael Lavoie. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There’s no way Trouba will be available from the Jets with Myers going into FA and Byfuglien getting older.

Edited by shiznak

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

As I think about the upcoming draft I have been thinking about who to draft at 10th, I will start with 2 players that if they were to drop a few spots I would love to get is Dylan Cozens & Kirby Dach.  Both seem to be good strong players that can play with an edge and are from the "W" ( I am partial to Western Canadian guys).  I have always felt that the teams from the WHL are players that play a heavier more aggressive game and those are the kind of players I think we nee to draft to complement our smaller skilled forwards.

If these guys don't slip to 10th I also like Matthew Boldy or Ryan Suzuki.  Both shoot left and can play wing or center as we could use left side scoring.  As far as the best dman around our position, I would be interested in Victor Soderstrom.  I am a little unclear but I do believe he is a right shot dman.

Lastly, a player that has caught my eye is Raphael Lavoie.  I know he is ranked between 14 and 17 by many.  He is 6' 4" and weighs around 192 lb. and can skate real well.  He also seems to have a good shot and is good on the puck down low, scoring in close.  I would be curious about what you think of all these guys but especially Raphael Lavoie. 

I think there is zero chance that both fall to + 10. I expect that both are gone at #5. Colorado and L.A.  might be the lucky teams getting real good centre in Dach & Cozens.

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Nolan Foote?  6'3 and 190lbs... will probably gain another 15 pounds of so in a few more years.... the pedigree is there.  

Then there's Alex Vlasic (no relations to Vlasic in SJS from what I can tell)... 6'6 and 200lbs, left shooting defenseman.  

No idea on their actual style of play... just players that kind of stuck out when looking at the rankings.  Both are late 1st or 2nd rounders though.  

Maybe the Canucks can trade down for more assets.... since it seems the team are able to find gems later in the draft.  

Any more info on Moritz Seider?  #6 European skater... so around the time when the Canucks will be drafting.  6'4, 183lbs (almost 200lbs on his wiki) RHD and playing in the DEL with Mannheim.  Quoted as the best German defenseman since Christian Ehrhoff.  18 years old and already playing top-4 minutes and on the PP for his team against men.  Supposed to be mobile and with good instinct... whatever that actually means.  

1. physical presence: has already a NHL frame with 6.4, 200 lbs, plays a physical game, can absorb hits from opponents easily, shuts the door at the walls effectively.

2. excellent skating  : real good skating technique, highly mobile for a 6.4., 200lbs player, real good straight line speed

3. excellent vision :    sees the ice very well

4. passing is another strength: accurate outlet passes on the tape of the teammate, real good first pass to initiate the transition.

5. was recently named rookie of the year in Germany's top league, the DEL,  

6. plays in all situations: on the PP, PK, 5 vs.5

7. real good balance on his skates

8. has played extremely well in the playoffs so far, team has advanced to the national championship final (sweep against the Cologne sharks 4:0)

9. is expected to be NHL ready at the start of the season 2019/2020.

10. only adjustments to be made to play in the NHL is the smaller rink and the faster game.

11. two way defenceman: loves to join the rush

12. several NHL scouts made the way to Germany to watch his game in the playoffs.

I expect that he is going to be ranked in the range # 10-15 once the final draft rankings are published on April 15, 2019. He definitely will rise from the end of the first round to this range because the Scouts have seen him play in the playoffs and have a much better feel for him as a player than they had at the time the mid term rankings were released. 

One OHL GM said about him (can't quote because his statement was translated into German language, so I can only re-translate): Seider can become a better D-Man than Seidenberg and Ehrhoff ,the best German D-Man since many, many years.

Seidenberg played on the top pairing with Chara. This pairing was arguably the best shutdown pairing in the season 2010/2011 when the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Both were fundamental in winning the Cup.

Would he be a reach at #10? No, for sure not.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

Selanne’s ears are burning.

time to break the canucks 10th overall curse: Bourdon/Hodgson

we are going to get a solid player I’m not worried. More upset about Chicago and NJ.

Jim Bennings statement: “We’re going to get a good player at No. 10 and I’m confident of that. And we’ve drafted well. We really know the players in this year’s draft.”::D::D::D

Wording has changed compared to the previous two drafts. He used the words "real good player" when asked about the player they are going to get in the 2017 & 2018 draft.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Haha 1