The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I dont think Hughes will bust but he could be Clayton Keller rather than Patrick Kane.

He alot better skater than Keller though.

Being in Boston I actually watched a lot of BU games and watched Keller play plenty in his draft year. I called it when I said he's going to be drafted lower than he deserves and will compete for the Calder the year after. 

With that being said, J. Hugues is going to be a lot closer to Kane than Keller. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, suitup said:

Being in Boston I actually watched a lot of BU games and watched Keller play plenty in his draft year. I called it when I said he's going to be drafted lower than he deserves and will compete for the Calder the year after. 

With that being said, J. Hugues is going to be a lot closer to Kane than Keller. 

Yeah didn't mean that as a knock on Keller. He's a great player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Completely sold on Soderstrom.

Defensively responsible, physically engaged at all times, and possesses the skillset to complement our fast, talented forwards. Not to mention he fills an organization need.

How far away do you think he is?  3 years minimum?  I am not adverse to taking a d man, but this year at ten I hope either Krebs or Vegras falls.  Whomever is there at ten is going to be at least 2 years away.  

Soderstrom does have a good two way game and is already playing in the SHL so ge should translate.  This draft I think that there is one or two forwards that will fall out of the top 9 that have more upside.  

Gotta think that Edmonton is looking hard at him too.  He could be gone before ten.  

Good depth is never a bad thing, but if a deal can be made with our first to get better sooner, I would think that JB would trade our pick.  JB doesn't have any clock left.  

JB knows that he has to make some moves this summer to get this team competitive.  That RHD need is urgent.  

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Depending on where Benning hears Boldy's going/if he thinks he'd dropped to us, I'd be perfectly fine if he thinks moving up 2'ish spots lands him vs not landing him...if the price isn't too out to lunch.

Not that some of the other options at 10 won't also be solid picks but I think Boldy's a damn good player and fit.

So no, not stupid.

Sorry I could have phrased that better.

The idea of trading up 2 spots from 10th overall is not stupid.

Anyone believing that actually happens in the real world with a rebuilding team giving up copious assets to make it happen is stupid. ::D

23 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

How far away do you think he is?  3 years minimum?  I am not adverse to taking a d man, but this year at ten I hope either Krebs or Vegras falls.  Whomever is there at ten is going to be at least 2 years away.  

Soderstrom does have a good two way game and is already playing in the SHL so ge should translate.  This draft I think that there is one or two forwards that will fall out of the top 9 that have more upside.  

Gotta think that Edmonton is looking hard at him too.  He could be gone before ten.  

Good depth is never a bad thing, but if a deal can be made with our first to get better sooner, I would think that JB would trade our pick.  JB doesn't have any clock left.  

JB knows that he has to make some moves this summer to get this team competitive.  That RHD need is urgent.  

He plays a mature, cerebral game that would likely have him not look out of place even if he slotted in next year.

But, it would be in his best interest to test his limits offensively in another league next year while still building his frame.

15 minutes ago, Grape said:

I understand the need of filling a RHD, however I don’t think the draft is the place to do it. Defensemen usually take a bit to develop (unless they’re of the Dahlin or Hughes mold), and by the time they do, we don’t know what our RHD situation will look like.

Thats why IMO you gotta go BPA

100,000% agree

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Grape said:

I understand the need of filling a RHD, however I don’t think the draft is the place to do it. Defensemen usually take a bit to develop (unless they’re of the Dahlin or Hughes mold), and by the time they do, we don’t know what our RHD situation will look like.

Thats why IMO you gotta go BPA

I won’t cry if we go Soderstrom but I agree with this post and have to assume there will be a stronger forward sitting when our turn comes up. 

We could still use a blue chip winger up front. 

JB might have to work the phones to land his RHD.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

My concern about Boldy is Boston College. Wahlstrom really struggled there this year, well maybe didn’t struggle but his year was lackluster.

looking at how farabee excelled at Boston Uni makes me wonder was it the program or was it personal for Wahlstrom.

but they do have a good group of rookies coming in, including Newhook and Goalie Knight.

it would suck to draft Boldy at 10 and Newhook goes at like 12 or something and if he directly outperforms Boldy..

I don't think Wahlstrom was as good as people thought. Great shot but lacked in other areas.

Really interested to see how Newhook does at u18's assuming he doesn't get cut again for whatever reason. Also from what I've heard there's alot of hype about Spencer Knight, potentially the best prospect since Price. (or I guess Jack Campbell....) 

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

What do you guys think Edmonton does in this draft?

They basically have the same positional needs as we do.

Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if they liked Boldy.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

How far away do you think he is?  3 years minimum?

I'd think 2-3. Send him back to the SHL next year, then see where he's at the year after. Fact he's already playing regularly in the SHL is encouraging as far as timeline.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think Wahlstrom was as good as people thought. Great shot but lacked in other areas.

Really interested to see how Newhook does at u18's assuming he doesn't get cut again for whatever reason. Also from what I've heard there's alot of hype about Spencer Knight, potentially the best prospect since Price. (or I guess Jack Campbell....) 

I'd think 2-3. Send him back to the SHL next year, then see where he's at the year after. Fact he's already playing regularly in the SHL is encouraging as far as timeline.

I don’t think so, I think Wahlstrom is a good prospect still. He looked good at world jrs to me and not out of place in the AHL. He quit the college program because it wasn’t a fit, is numbers weren’t horrible just not great. And I’m guessing he had issues with coaching or staff there or just maybe the teams system. Regardless i am concerned about BC. 

Spencer Knight is looking really good.

ya me too! For Newhook, I want to watch him and Krebs closest at U18. I hope he doesn’t get cut, he hopefully learned from last camp and is coming in after a beast year very confident and ready to compete.

if he looks on the same level as Krebs and Cozens it plays stronger then him it’s not out of the question to think we’d take him at 10. His skating is top notch as well.

Can’t wait to see what Krebs does and good to see he’s captain.

Gives them a good opportunity to showcase themselves when prospects like Lavoie and Dach are having solid post boosting their draft stock late.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I am not sold on Boldy.  His skating is a concern.  He has a great shot and IQ.  I am all for Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs Cozens or Dach.  Caufield is a gamer, but his size is a concern.  Is he a Schoeder or a Marner?  

I don't think Broberg or Soder are as good as last years top d men and Morietz is too much of an unknown playing in a lower league to gamble our first on him.  

That's my take.  

Boldy's skating has improved a bunch but yes there is still a ton of room for improvment. His speed is a concern but his edgework is very good much like Dahlen. Whats most impressive with Boldy is his IQ which I think would make him a candidate to play with Pete and Brock in the future. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Boldy's skating has improved a bunch but yes there is still a ton of room for improvment. His speed is a concern but his edgework is very good much like Dahlen. Whats most impressive with Boldy is his IQ which I think would make him a candidate to play with Pete and Brock in the future. 

Yea hard to deny his style and ceiling would look good with them or flanking Bo

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Or Rick Dipietro. I jest Knight is a stud

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I don't think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser would have enough of a dynamic element. They all have high IQ, but none of them are fast, and one of their main qualities is that they all have really good shots. Not enough variety for a top line IMO.

• Wat 5

3 minutes ago, Grape said:

I don't think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser would have enough of a dynamic element. They all have high IQ, but none of them are fast, and one of their main qualities is that they all have really good shots. Not enough variety for a top line IMO.

Pettersson isn’t fast... okay buddy.