The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Just now, stawns said:

I don't feel there's a dman, outside of Byram, who is worth passing on the list of fwds available at #10

That’s exactly how I was feeling before... but without Krebs, now it’s:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

Boldy

Zegras 

Cozens

Caufield

as 9 I agree go before any other d.  

They could still go with Krebs and admittedly I haven’t looked too hard into Newhook or Kaliyev.

Just feels like less of a reach to go with defenceman with Krebs likely dropping.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Krebs tore his achilles he’s dropping

Seriously!? Crazy just saw report / tweet. Sounds like bieksa luck another players skate went through his suck behind the skate.

honestly kids get hurt and overcome them. 

Is he the kind of kid to not rebound from an injury? 

I don’t think so. I think he will be fine it’s just some adversity he will have to overcome.

no team expected him to be nhl ready 

he will have a good rehab rehab team with him, he’ll still be able to workout on certain think since he’s in a Moon boot.

Its a partial tear and he’s expected to make a full recovery but will miss camp. I don’t think this will be a major factor in the Canucks decision but being that it’s a home draft the optics of drafting someone in a moonboot might not be the best.

if he falls though because of this a team is going to be very lucky.

Edited by R3aL

Just now, ilduce39 said:

That’s exactly how I was feeling before... but without Krebs, now it’s:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

Boldy

Zegras 

Cozens

Caufield

as 9 I agree go before any other d.  

They could still go with Krebs and admittedly I haven’t looked too hard into Newhook or Kaliyev.

Just feels like less of a reach to go with defenceman with Krebs likely dropping.

I'd take Caufield over any dman not named Byram.  Not even close for me.  If they get Caufield at #10, we should all be jumping for joy.

• Upvote 1

The more I see Krebs the more I like him.  He’s like a Horvat clone. IMO. I can see Jimbo being interested in drafting him.

i just Hope Krebs has more fight to win and isn’t ok with losing games. If he is ok with losing then I hope Oilers pick him. 

1 hour ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I wonder how far that will drop him. That's a tough injury to come back from, he might not be the same player when he comes back. 

I had him in the 5-8 range so on one note, this could help him fall to us which would be awesome IMO. On the other, nobody likes drafting the kid with the Achilles injury in the walking boot :wacko:

Definitely falling out of love with a d-man at our pick. I been high on Soderstrom all year but there are so many interesting forwards at our spot. Maybe if we were around the 15 spot I'd be happier taking Soderstrom or Seider or another D-man. But it's looking like, even at 10, there'll be a really good forward there for the taking. This draft needs to happen. I can't settle on a player I want. Lol.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I had him in the 5-8 range so on one note, this could help him fall to us which would be awesome IMO. On the other, nobody likes drafting the kid with the Achilles injury in the walking boot :wacko:

Imagine if we pick him and having to watch Krebs walk to the stage in a boot at our Vancouver draft; it would set off a poop storm for so many fans. Oh, just imagine the various threads made. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd take Caufield over any dman not named Byram.  Not even close for me.  If they get Caufield at #10, we should all be jumping for joy.

Same here. Everyone likes to make excuses for why he won't get be a good player. Ie. Skating, size, playoffs etc.  His elite talent will shine through regardless of his 'short'comings. I expect his floor to be 25 goals and potentially upwards of 40 goals in his prime as his upside. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Cozens, then Broberg...build from the net out when picking in this position (10)...top 5 pick, choose BPA for sure (i.e., MT)....Broberg looks like a stud.

Look at Blues "D", they have 4 top 2 Dmen...big reason why Binnington is playing well...."D" wins championships.

Broberg is the JV of d men.  All the tools, but does he have the tool box to play in the NHL.  I think he would project very well, but like Jake, not sure of he would be a top pairing guy or a bottom pairing guy.  

IMO he is a can't miss guy, but so are Soderstrom and Seider.   

If JB is picking a D man at 10, he should swing for the fences vs taking the surest bet.  I would go with the German, big frame, great skating and a heavy RHD shot.  

With him and Woo, we would have 2 RHD with a great blend of skills and frames to offset our 2 LHD, OJ and Hughes.  

With Krebs falling, I think Seider is the guy to pick.  No AHL restrictions either.  The guy could be in the system as of next season  

• Like 1

I think I’ll take a stab at a mock draft right now.

1. NJ - Kakko

i just think they’ll pull the trigger on this. He’s more NHL ready, he showed how strong he is and how skilled he is at the men’s WC he can slot in with Hall right away and he may even be a better C prospect than Hughes. As Hughes May get shifted to the W. I think their ceilings are similar and Kakko has done enough to be 1 on some teams lists. I have a feeling he will go first.

2. NYR - Hughes

no brainer. It’s Hughes or Kakko whoever NJ doesn’t take.

3. CHI - Turcotte

4. Colorado - Cozens

I think they should take Byram because Byram-Makar would be ridiculous. Or Caufield, as they can afford to take a big swing on him and god could he be a deadly compliment to their top 6. But rumours are they really like Cozens so I’ll slot him in here.

5. LA - Byram

they run to the podium and get there man, the best dman in the draft. 

6. DET - Podkolzin

just really seems like a Detroit guy. But if they shock us all with a Seider/Broberg defence pick here I wouldn’t be surprised. Even Caufield wouldn’t surprise me. But I can see Podkolzin written on a Detroit sweater come draft day.

7. BUF - Caufield

not afraid to take risks. Love American players. Choosing between Zegras/Caufield/Boldy they go with they highest ceiling for pure goal scoring and take the little guy with the magic release.

8. EDM - Broberg

they need d help and future d pairing of Broberg-Bouchard sounds very intriguing. 

Both big big men with offensive abilities. Brobergs strengths and weaknesses Skating/Shot/IQ will ying/yang nice with Bouchard.

9 ANA - Dach

Dach if he falls to 9 just seems like an Anaheim guy to me. Big, cerebral and highly skilled. Can imagine him a duck. Easy to see him going higher because he’s big, skilled and a C. But some scouts have him lower on their lists as a guy who may not translate to being a top line nhler. All it takes is a team to have 1 player above him on their draft board to pass him down to this spot so I believe it is very possible.

10 VAN - Zegras

Selecting among:

Zegras/Boldy/Krebs/Newhook/Seider/York/Harley

With Zegras positional flexibility, high end skill set  (skating ability, passing ability, IQ etc etc), numbers/production, personality (interviewed great at combine and for the radio) he seems to be our guy. Also I’d say he has the highest ceiling available with Krebs and Newhook close behind. 

Although if Chicago took him at 3 I wouldn’t be surprised either. 

-

these are my guesses on where these kids will go, I say guesses because every team, every person has ranked them differently so thought it would be fun to try and guess now and reference back on draft day.

Fun part is regardless we are getting a grade A prospect. But since every team in the top 15ish will be, we have to hope that ours rises to the top and is the guy people who picked before us kick themselves for not taking 2-3 years from now!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Imagine if we pick him and having to watch Krebs walk to the stage in a boot at our Vancouver draft; it would set off a poop storm for so many fans. Oh, just imagine the various threads made. 

Doesn’t matter who we pick, there will be an “extravaganza” of various threads :P 

I really want the Canucks to pick either Zegras or Seider because when the playoffs come, nastiness (not size) is what wins a series. I wouldn't turn down Cozens if he were still on the board though.

I want the Canucks to a build a team that pushes back instead of passively taking whatever the opposing team throws at them.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Broberg is the JV of d men.  All the tools, but does he have the tool box to play in the NHL.  I think he would project very well, but like Jake, not sure of he would be a top pairing guy or a bottom pairing guy.  

IMO he is a can't miss guy, but so are Soderstrom and Seider.   

If JB is picking a D man at 10, he should swing for the fences vs taking the surest bet.  I would go with the German, big frame, great skating and a heavy RHD shot.  

With him and Woo, we would have 2 RHD with a great blend of skills and frames to offset our 2 LHD, OJ and Hughes.  

With Krebs falling, I think Seider is the guy to pick.  No AHL restrictions either.  The guy could be in the system as of next season  

A power fwd, scoring at a 20 goal pace over 82 games means he doesn't have the tool box?  That's just a statement based in ignorance and one parroted far too much here

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

A power fwd, scoring at a 20 goal pace over 82 games means he doesn't have the tool box?  That's just a statement based in ignorance and one parroted far too much here

Jake doesn’t really play like a power forward though. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I really want the Canucks to pick either Zegras or Seider because when the playoffs come, nastiness (not size) is what wins a series. I wouldn't turn down Cozens if he were still on the board though.

I want the Canucks to a build a team that pushes back instead of passively taking whatever the opposing team throws at them.

Zegras isn't big or nasty lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jake doesn’t really play like a power forward though. 

Disagree, maybe not a power fwd from generations past, but this current era doesn't play that way, at all.

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, cyoung said:

Suzuki is definitely in the third tier of forwards, not to take anything away from him but if he was our guy I'd hope we would move down to pick him. 

*Not saying I want us to do that though.

You right, we should definitely move down to take Suzuki if the other picks i suggested are gone.