The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

That was a silly comparison. If you care to disagree at least make a valid argument.  You know very well that I was alluding to the Russian factor. There are a good percentage of people that would be pissed off if we took him. I’m not one of them by the way. Think before you write.

Mad Jon.

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

I think that's a horrible way to draft. If Podk is BPA, you take him unless you know for a fact that he will not come over.

I agree but don’t think for a moment that it hasn’t been discussed by management.

1 hour ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

i have a feeling JB will try hard to move up, since JB in his interview has said theres one they want, but would require them to move up...but guess we find out, it is in Vancouver, so JB will try hard to get best player , even if it means moving up and trading some loose fat on our roster

I’m thinking this is why we’re hearing Vancouver being interested in Lucic. Holland has traded down to remove salary before.

• Upvote 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

I’m thinking this is why we’re hearing Vancouver being interested in Lucic. Holland has traded down to remove salary before.

Holland would have to add more than just trading first rounders with us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He seems more engaged for sure.  And a bigger guy as well.  Some of his passes he can get away with tho in junior I don't think will happen in the NHL.  That's just me hazarding a guess tho.  If he went at #10 I'd be more than fine with the pick.  Still would prefer newhook tho

Agree on some of his passes won't translate to the nhl but I give Zegras the edge cause his play style reminds me of the Rat....I can't say to much about Newhook I've only seen his tourney play.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

He's so good there are two of them ;)

Id put York or Knight in that 15 spot then.

Sarcasm?

Im not a huge fan of Broberg at all. I just don't think he has the needed mindset/IQ to hit his potential. He's outside my top 15, but time will tell if Im right or wrong 

No, not sarcasm……..just thought he had to be close...….some say he will go top ten...…...

Also might add that Knight could go as high as 13th, if Florida grabs him....

But it is all a crap shoot...……...I just want 20 1st's.....less chance of missing.....

But seriously, I liked your list

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Umm yes please! Would be a great pick at 10!

sorry for sounding harsh... my post is about my thoughts of Podkolzin. 

Where are highlights from this season. Oh wait he doesn’t have any. One good tournament from last year against boys which is the source of all 4 of his highlights.

i wouldn’t be surprised if Podkolzin isn’t drafted in the top 20. I don’t see any GMs having him as there 1st choice. He’s more like their 3rd or 4th choice. Once he’s still not drafted by #12 the Dman will start being drafted before him.

Even the Goalie Knight will probably be drafted ahead of Podkolzin IMO.

i really really hope he is drafted top 9 so it opens up another player at 10.

But unfortunately I’m pretty sure he won’t be.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Put Zegras on his wing. Bo is showing he’s an elite 2C and a strong 1B. He’s not a 3c and won’t be until he’s 34

Not saying Bo is a 3C, just that he could be a 2-3C on a deep contender  (think Pittsburgh). 

It would work like this: 1-3C plays 16-20 mins a night depending on matchups, if offense or defense needed etc. 

This season Gaudette played 11 mins average (as a “3C”) and Beagle about 15 mins, so imagine the difference...

But agree that Bo’s at least a 2C on pretty much every team in the league and that Zegras on the wing would also be an option. 

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He seems more engaged for sure.  And a bigger guy as well.  Some of his passes he can get away with tho in junior I don't think will happen in the NHL.  That's just me hazarding a guess tho.  If he went at #10 I'd be more than fine with the pick.  Still would prefer newhook tho

Maybe not Goldobin. Zegras does seem more engaged & he's certainly alot faster. But I have some concerns about his adjustment too. I think he can play, and definitely be better than Goldobin. But watching the playoffs I wonder how he would do in those sort of games against heavy defense cores.

He plays to the perimeter right now against his current competition, as you say not all of his perimeter passes will work. Does he have it in him to become more aggressive as far as attacking the hard areas consistently? He's also not a great goal scorer.

I can see him having 50-60+ point seasons, I can see 40 assists, but I don't know with his style of play whether he'll be a true elite player. Or if he'll even be a center full time. I could see him as a playmaking winger. 

He's got the wheels all teams look for & he's still yet to fill out. That makes me a bit nervous doubting him, but its what I see right now & that's about all I can go off. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, R3aL said:

Really? So if canucks got offered a mid to late pick in the first round for AG you would take it. 

Can you explain why? 

Gaudette we took time in developing. Gaudette is a hobey baker winner. Gaudette has improved progressively and linearly at a very steady rate. He showed he is too good for the AHL in his first season there while going up and down. He showed some flashes in the NHL as well.

He is on pace to be a middle 6 nhl C with goal scoring potential. Gaudette is tenacious and a hard worker.

you want to trade that for a lottery ticket at someone who could potentially be as good or get really lucky and get someone better against the odds I wouldn’t be onboard with that at all.  

Sorry If I didn't pick myself a pair of rose colored glasses. Yes Gaudette is improving, and he has graduated from the AHL. Too good? I wouldn't go that far, but definetly he can play in the bigs. He's shown flashes that he is a big league player, but do you see him supplanting Petterson, or Horvat anytime soon? Do you see him have 30 - 40 goal potential? Im being realistic with Gaudette, the fact that hes probably going to be an every night player is already a win from being a 5th rounder. He's probably a 20 goal scorer down the line, if he scores more, thats great, but from what I've seen, I don't see it yet.

Would I trade him for a lottery pick like a late first rounder? Absolutely. Those prospects are 1st rounders for a reason, ie: they have higher ceilings, I'll take a chance with a player that potentially be a superstar. What pick was Brock Boeser again? EXACTLY. Im not saying that the pick is going to be a guaranteed star or even a very good player, but they're pedigree says they have a better chance to be one. As much you, me and others think we know better than the scouts, the sad reality is we don't, If Gaudette was going to be a superstar he could've gotten a lot higher than where he was picked. If he turns out to be one, great, but theres a reason why he was drafted late.

I like Gaudette and he is a solid player, Im not sure he's all star calibre from what Ive seen at least, but thats already a compliment to him that already theres a debate that he's already worth a 1st rounder, at least with us, coming from being picked in the 5th round? Thats pretty damn good. Add to the fact theres a similar player down the pipeline (Madden), and our need for young D-men, I'll take the late 1st rounder.

I'll pose this question to you, what if Gaudette is just a regular NHLer thats just a 10-15 goal guy, thats has a Markus Granlund esque career, would you regret not taking that late first rounder? You can't also just assume that Gaudette is going to be progressing leaps and bounds

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe not Goldobin. Zegras does seem more engaged & he's certainly alot faster. But I have some concerns about his adjustment too. I think he can play, and definitely be better than Goldobin. But watching the playoffs I wonder how he would do in those sort of games against heavy defense cores.

He plays to the perimeter right now against his current competition, as you say not all of his perimeter passes will work. Does he have it in him to become more aggressive as far as attacking the hard areas consistently? He's also not a great goal scorer.

I can see him having 50-60+ point seasons, I can see 40 assists, but I don't know with his style of play whether he'll be a true elite player. Or if he'll even be a center full time. I could see him as a playmaking winger. 

He's got the wheels all teams look for & he's still yet to fill out. That makes me a bit nervous doubting him, but its what I see right now & that's about all I can go off. 

I know you go for BPA regardless, but I wonder with Lind in the pipeline whether he is as desirable as well

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Fast, good shot, North South. Like I said, Newhook has better play making (and is smaller) but it's not that far off. And both are middle 6 upside players IMO.

Newhook?

A little tank, sure. A good shot, also yes. He's not as fast. But fast enough I think? Its the real question. 

North / South? I'd describe it as he goes to the net, and Jake don't. Through traffic, around traffic. He's got junk for days Virtanen only can dream of. Vision. Can handle the puck with guys hanging on him. Beat checks.

He can pass (!). He's a pivot.  

He actually reminds me of a xentre version of what I hoped Shinkaruk would become. Same kind of moves, with a lot more tenacity and stronger on his skates.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

anyone else not as high on Zegras?  

Im not as high on Zegras. Theres a lot of flash, Im just not sure he's a long term type of player. Out of all the guys that we could potentially pick, Krebs would be the safest but I'd still prefer Caufield or heaven forbid, Turcotte

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ya he and Krebs were for sure

I think when we look back in this draft, Krebs might not end up being an all-star, but might be one of the handful of guys in this draft ( if healthy) that will have a very long career. This is a guy that Travis Green would absolutely adore

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Im not doubting his playmaking skill and vision, Im just not sure how much of it he can get away with at the NHL level.  Tight checking and physical play just makes me think twice.   

But if plays through it and can be productive then he is definitely a high pick.  

Im just worried he'll become another Goldy.

Pretty much all of these kids have a stuff they won't be able to get away with at the NHL level that they'll need to correct/adjust. And him getting bigger and stronger will help a good portion of what would be considered his biggest 'flaw' IMO.

He's got 5-8 OA levels of skill, speed, skating, vision etc. Pass that up at your own peril IMO.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I think when we look back in this draft, Krebs might not end up being an all-star, but might be one of the handful of guys in this draft ( if healthy) that will have a very long career. This is a guy that Travis Green would absolutely adore

And likely a very good fit on Petey/Boeser's wing.

• Like 1