The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have a question for you all

5 1st round prospects, all equal in talent, and all play different positions...…...LHD, RHD, LW, C, RW

Which one do we pick this year? Remember, they all have basically the same value.

RHD...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have a question for you all

5 1st round prospects, all equal in talent, and all play different positions...…...LHD, RHD, LW, C, RW

Which one do we pick this year? Remember, they all have basically the same value.

We pick the player we project to have the most trade value when they reach their ceiling.  Likely, that’s a right shot D. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

RHD would be priority.

So, the question came to me after reading Ossi's little game, that "IF" these players hold somewhat the same values as posted, then are we looking at the draft eligible players correctly?

In Ossi's game, there are 3 players that are ranked "5"s                Hughes, Kakko, and Byram...………..all of which are Number ones in their positions

Looking at the "4" Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Podkolzin, Boldy, Krebs, Soderstrom, Seider, Heinola, Knight (better add Newhook, Dach, Cozens, and Broberg to this list.)

That is 14 players that are somewhat parallel in the ranking

Who are the other best of position players?       LW....Boldy, RHD.....Seider, G......Knight

So I wonder, of that #4 group,

- who comes down the wing and beats Seider, one on one, or who can fool Seider to over commit?

- what winger plays Boldy head to head, and wins on a consistent basis?

- does Knight steal sure goals from any of the other scorers, on a regular basis?

I only ask this because, I wonder going forward, if we are not better to use Best at Position, as "one" of the deciding factors, when every thing else is more or less even?

I accept that there will be players, such as Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Caufield and Podkolzin, who's talent, just over-rides that thought, but if they are already taken, and Benning is sifting through the rest of the #4 type players, if that is not very high in the decision factor? 

For me, making my prospect list from the rest of the players, is some what squed and it confuses me, somewhat, as my choice of the rest is somewhat off the board...….

#1. Seider

#2. Boldy

#3. Soderstrom

#4. Krebs

#5. Newhook

Any of these 5, I would be happy with, but god!, putting Seider up that high on my list, really scares me...……..

I am so undecided this year, and it changes so regularly...……..

Just wondering, are many of you are considering Seider as well, or is he further down your list?

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, the question came to me after reading Ossi's little game, that "IF" these players hold somewhat the same values as posted, then are we looking at the draft eligible players correctly?

In Ossi's game, there are 3 players that are ranked "5"s                Hughes, Kakko, and Byram...………..all of which are Number ones in their positions

Looking at the "4" Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Podkolzin, Boldy, Krebs, Soderstrom, Seider, Heinola, Knight (better add Newhook, Dach, Cozens, and Broberg to this list.)

Who are the other best of position players?       LW....Boldy, RHD.....Seider, G......Knight

- who comes down the wing and beats Seider, one on one, or who can fool Seider to over commit?

- does Knight steal sure goals from any of the other scorers, on a regular basis?

I only ask this because, I wonder going forward, if we are not better to use Best at Position, as "one" of the deciding factors, when every thing else is more or less even?

I accept that there will be players, such as Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Caufield and Podkolzin, who's talent, just over-rides that thought, but if they are already taken, and Benning is sifting through the rest of the #4 type players, if that is not very high in the decision factor? 

For me, making my prospect list from the rest of the players, is some what squed and it confuses me, somewhat, as my choice of the rest is somewhat off the board...….

#1. Seider

#2. Boldy

#3. Soderstrom

#4. Krebs

#5. Newhook

Any of these 5, I would be happy with, but god!, putting Seider up that high on my list, really scares me...……..

Just wondering, are many of you considering Seider as well, or is he further down you list?

If Broberg is off the board when 10 comes up, we either take Seider then, or trade down and keep our fingers crossed he’s still there at the number we trade down to.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1. Seider

#2. Boldy

#3. Soderstrom

#4. Krebs

#5. Newhook

Just wondering, are many of you are considering Seider as well, or is he further down your list?

I wanted to trade down for Seider...now I am thinking it's better to just grab him and run...but if Turcotte is there I am into a major waffle....Dach or Cozens being there at #10 would cause minor waffling...

That's assuming the top 3 guys are gone...Byram, etc.

Seider ...on the other hand ...might just be ready to play some minutes next spring...for our St Louis style cup run....!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I wanted to trade down for Seider...now I am thinking it's better to just grab him and run...but if Turcotte is there I am into a major waffle....Dach or Cozens being there at #10 would cause minor waffling...

Seider ...on the other hand ...might just be ready to play some minutes next spring...for our St Louis style cup run....!

LOL, I am not sure he will be ready next year, but one never knows.....never say never!

But his stock has risen, and I wonder how much is hype and how much is real, that is why I have nervous knees, on him

But everything I read, says he has at least a 2/3 type dman potential, where I wonder of the remaining prospects named, how many are actually ranked higher?

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

now is the time to get another first rounder by trading JV for a 1st round pick....a first round pick with a high hockey IQ and desire to get gritty and dirty.

So you want to trade the only guy that hits like truck for a player we will be waiting a year or two for? I get the logic by getting more players that play that way...there's some good players in the second round that play that way....foote comes to mind and cause he was injured most of the season he could be another steal like woo....

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'd rather hold onto Virtanen and let him progress.

idk, the way he is playing is the way he played for the Hitmen (disappeared for many games and inconsistent)...what you see is what you get....he is no Cam Neely, but he is valuable to a point.

...if there is a player available in the draft the Canucks think can be an upgrade on JV, then JV is trade bait...he'll still be a good player for a 3rd line; but if a player is there for the taking, then the Canucks need to consider JV as trade bait.

Edited by Pete M

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So you want to trade the only guy that hits like truck for a player we will be waiting a year or two for? I get the logic by getting more players that play that way...there's some good players in the second round that play that way....foote comes to mind and cause he was injured most of the season he could be another steal like woo....

JV hits like a truck once in awhile, and when he does play a heavy game, he is very valuable to the team because of this strength; however, he doesn't play this type of game enough...I would say, if JV played this type of game 75% to 80% of the time, then he would be very valuable and I would not trade him. The reality is he plays this way less than 50% of the time.

One thing that stops him playing like a truck is the team does not have a pack mentality to back his massive hits up...as a result, he is left to defend himself alone...this is probably a major factor in him not hitting like that every game; he is not a fighter and the other team goes after him when he makes a big hit almost every time.

Team needs to have a pack mentality and back him (JV) and each other up.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

idk, the way he is playing is the way he played for the Hitmen (disappeared for many games and inconsistent)...what you see is what you get....he is no Cam Neely, but he is valuable to a point.

...if there is a player available in the draft the Canucks think can be an upgrade on JV, then JV is trade bait...he'll still be a good player for a 3rd line; but if a player is there for the taking, then the Canucks need to consider JV as trade bait.

He forces a lot of turnovers and defensemen are wary of hitting him because he could knock them on their ass, which makes him very dangerous on the transition. 
He was second on the team in hits, which shows he lays the body consistently. Those thundering hits in junior aren't too common, but neither are boneheaded interference, boarding, or charging penalties. He is pretty good at knowing when to use the stick or lay the body. 
It makes no sense to trade him for a low 1st rounder that may be years from making the NHL--if they even do. You're not going to get a top 15 pick for Virtanen. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JV hits like a truck once in awhile, and when he does play a heavy game, he is very valuable to the team because of this strength; however, he doesn't play this type of game enough...I would say, if JV played this type of game 75% to 80% of the time, then he would be very valuable and I would not trade him. The reality is he plays this way less than 50% of the time.

One thing that stops him playing like a truck is the team does not have a pack mentality to back his massive hits up...as a result, he is left to defend himself alone...this is probably a major factor in him not hitting like that every game; he is not a fighter and the other team goes after him when he makes a big hit almost every time.

Team needs to have a pack mentality and back him (JV) and each other up.

I agree 100%. That's why I want an tough guy on the team like Lucic or Reeves. Hell bring Bert back lol If they bring back Luke that helps....

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree 100%. That's why I want an tough guy on the team like Lucic or Reeves. Hell bring Bert back lol If they bring back Luke that helps....

Intimidation is the 7th man on the ice...if a team plays that way.

this team has a long way to go if the EP40 fiasco is any indication..

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1