The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

9 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a good read on what JB was going to do at a draft... I’m pretty sure he said there were no top end d the year they took OJ.... obviously spending a pick on him as high as they did says that what a smoke screen. 

Perhaps one could interpret it that way - but he's also said from day one that in his vision of a successful model you build from the net, to defence, to center so in that respect he's stuck to that philosophy pretty closely with Demko, OJ, Hughes, EP.  He's really been steadily accumulating defence and centermen.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he took another center or defenceman this year - and with who may be available (Krebs, Broberg, Soderstom, Zegras, Cozens) I would be ok with that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This quote basically kills my hopes of getting Boldy, the left winger, lol. Of course we all know that wingers hold the least value of all the positions, but Benning’s emphasis here on the order of positional importance really makes me think that he won’t be going with a winger with this year’s 10th. 

My guess is that he’s targeting Söderström, Krebs and Zegras. Possibly Broberg too. Both Krebs and Söderström just scream a Benning kind of player to me. 

The great thing is that anyone of those four players would be a very welcome addition to our prospect pool. Broberg has a few elements of his game that make me a bit nervous, but if he reaches his potential he could easily be better than the other three players mentioned. Also, he’s extremely entertaining to watch :) I’m personally hoping for Zegras though. 

Boldy has been a center his whole life up until this season I'm pretty sure. If they're confident in his ability then the positional thing shouldn't make too much of an impact. He also went through the Dexter program, the same one as Rathbone and the one that Brackett has ties to I believe. He's likely gotten some inside information on Boldy from his connections there. 

I think Boldy goes to Buffalo (great fit for what they have up front) so he doesn't even reach us, but I don't think the Canucks and Brackett specifically would disregard him for position unless they found something they didn't like. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

THE ‘5-at-10’ PROJECT

Ben Kuzma provides a perspective on prospects the Canucks are considering with the 10th-overall draft pick Friday.

Monday:Matthew Boldy

Tuesday: Philip Broberg

Wednesday: Victor Soderstrom

Thursday: Peyton Krebs

Friday: Trevor Zegras

As this says, I assume Kuz has an inside track & these are the guys the Canucks are really considering. (Maybe throw Newhook in too since they brought him in)

But I imagine if they stay at 10 the pick is one of these guys.

“There are a lot of defencemen that we like,” said Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved that good teams are built through the goalie, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

“Broberg will be gone — his stock went up about 10 points at the combine,” predicted an NHL executive.

Benning keeps talking about defenceman, hard not to get the sense they are leaning towards a D. Its interesting that he says they like alot of the Dmen, after already saying they'd be open to trading down. (Seider, anyone?) 

I keep thinking Broberg is their BPA, and Soderstrom is probably #2. But I also think EDM really likes Broberg, wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes #8 as this executive says. (or #9 to Anaheim).

At this point, if Broberg is available @ 10 I'd be very surprised if he's not our pick. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a good read on what JB was going to do at a draft... I’m pretty sure he said there were no top end d the year they took OJ.... obviously spending a pick on him as high as they did says that what a smoke screen. 

Pretty sure he said at the memorial cup they were going to take a D.

I do recall him saying the bolded, but he made it clear that year they were leaning towards a defenceman from what I recall. 

15 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Lots of distaste for Caufield and Podkolzin. I'm kind of surprised. They impressed me the most so far. So much skill between the two. Anyone care to explain their thoughts?

Podkolzin was a consensus at #3 at the beginning and dropped in most of the rankings mostly because of his lack of production at the U18 tournament in Sweden. hockey analysts/scouts do agree that Podkolzin has top 5 talent.

Craig Button loves Caufield and had him ranked pretty high, at #5 (by memory). He is a pure goal scorer, the best goal scorer in this draft class. There are some concerns how his game / production will translate to the NHL level, mainly because of his size.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Podkolzin was a consensus at #3 at the beginning and dropped in most of the rankings mostly because of his lack of production at the U18 tournament in Sweden. hockey analysts/scouts do agree that Podkolzin has top 5 talent.

Craig Button loves Caufield and had him ranked pretty high, at #5 (by memory). He is a pure goal scorer, the best goal scorer in this draft class. There are some concerns how his game / production will translate to the NHL level, mainly because of his size.

IMO if Cozens, Dach, or Podkolzin are available, I'm probably going Podkolzin. I like his potential more, and I think he'll be the better player of the other two.

44 minutes ago, Derp... said:

The headline from the article is taken out of context. 
2 separate quotes, put together to make it seem like 1. 
Not a transparent or accurate representation in my opinion.

First quote: "There are a lot of defenseman that we like"
That is talking about the top 25 or so players Benning mentioned are available this year.

Second quote: "If that guy is there at 10 we'll take him"
He's talking about Bowen Byram.
From what I recall they were discussing that they have 1 d man in the top 10 and if he is there they will take him. 

I think he is referring to Byram too. JB is just joking around with the reporters. He knows Byram isn't going to be there at 10.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Odd. said:

IMO if Cozens, Dach, or Podkolzin are available, I'm probably going Podkolzin. I like his potential more, and I think he'll be the better player of the other two.

I agree, Im not high on Dach at all, but overall upside defintely Podkolzin. Pods is very Landeskog-esque

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

Lots of distaste for Caufield and Podkolzin. I'm kind of surprised. They impressed me the most so far. So much skill between the two. Anyone care to explain their thoughts?

I think Caufield will be the 3rd best player in this draft after Kakko and Hughes. The way he shoots the puck, leverages on one timers and finding the soft spots blue-line in, its something the great goal scorers have and he has it. Mark my works, if hes not the 3rd, he might be even better. Caufield will be the Patrick Mahomes of the NHL where when he makes it to the bigs ,is gonna take the league by storm

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Seannnp said:

If management determines Krebs injury is nothing to be concerned about and Podk's Russian factor is not an issue, hands down without a doubt I pick the two hardest working, biggest heart guys on the boards in Krebs and Podkolzin.

Newhook is a dynamo.  And he is extremely shifty.  I think this kid has a high ceiling.  If he's taken though Im more than happy with Krebs, and if not Podkolzin and pray to god he works out.

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Don't see the Pettersson comp at all. Zegras doesn't shoot like Pettersson at all, Zegras is quicker than Pettersson, more of a pure passer, doesn't has the netfront game Pettersson has.

Craig's got some good analysis of prospects but sometimes his comparisons are off to me. 

I agree (based off of highlights). Button compared Caufield to Messi, so... we should draft Caufield and sell him for 200 million euro to Barcelona or Real Madrid. 

Love your sig by the way. Very much the same emotion displayed by Kesler after losing game 7 in 2011 SCF. Karma.

• Upvote 1