The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Dude..we were never going to pick Fabbro, let’s not kid ourselves.  We had a top 5 pick, we could have done better with it.  

The point on Fabro is related the poster's comment go re read it. I never said we'd pick him. Its in direct retort to his inaccurate statement.

Also how can you make that assumption that we could have done better? Because some kids made the NHL sooner when JB said it would take a year or 2 for him to put on the strength he needs, and then he was sidelined with injuries? Its not a sprint its a marathon. To say we 'could have done better' is implicitly implying OJ will under perform over his career relative to other names- there's no way to make that assessment. His NHL career hasn't started and should  have last year if it were not for injuries. Big deal he's 21.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The point on Fabro is related the poster's comment go re read it. I never said we'd pick him. Its in direct retort to his inaccurate statement.

Also how can you make that assumption that we could have done better? Because some kids made the NHL sooner when JB said it would take a year or 2 for him to put on the strength he needs, and then he was sidelined with injuries? Its not a sprint it a marathon. To say we 'could have done better' is implicitly implying OJ will unde rperform over his career relative to other names. His NHL career hasn't started and should  have last year if it were not for injuries. Big deal he's 21.

There’s no way you can make this graph look good.  The only one posting a goose egg in the last 3 years.  As bad as the Canucks have been he couldn’t crack the Canucks horrendous defence?  Hopefully he plays for the Canucks this upcoming season, But I doubt it.  Maybe 2 years from now when he’s 24 he’ll prove everyone wrong and set the NHL on fire.  I’d love to be proven wrong.  

D0A825D9-1EF4-42ED-B8EB-71ADD9FDBB5C.jpeg

• Haha 1

I read one mock draft that had Cozens falling to us.  I don't think it's going to happen but I would love to add a great Western Canadian kid to our top prospects.  I don't care too much about nationality, but it's nice when at least a couple of our guys could play for Team Canada.  I also think he's like Nolan Patrick but faster.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Button is interesting because he does seem to have a pretty good pulse on kids. He also has Broberg going to Edmonton and Seider going 11.  I recall a few here arguing with me when I said that the Nucks should take Seider at 10....Seems Button has him as high as I do! But if its Boldy, Krebs, Podkolzin, Seider on the board I am glad I don't have to make that pick, ouch that would be hard.

https://www.tsn.ca/trouba-trade-adds-canadian-content-to-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-5-0-1.1321746

Last mock:    Seider at #25

Latest mock: Seider at #11

Craig is beginning to see the light... ::D.

• Cheers 2

If there’s any truth to the rumours of trade talks between Vancouver and Buffalo, and if it’s Bogosian we land, I hope part of the trade results in being is a swap of our 10th pick for their 7th. 

Picking 7th could possibly put us in striking distance to make a move for Byram if he’s still on the board at the 5th or 6th spot. 

Come on Benning, make like Burke drafting the Sedins and think multiple steps ahead. 

• Upvote 1

When reading Button’s latest list (https://www.tsn.ca/trouba-trade-adds-canadian-content-to-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-5-0-1.1321746 ) I came upon this statement regarding the Hurricanes: “Owner Tom Dundon says his team will not draft defencemen in the first round as long as he is owner.”

What a ridiculous thing to say. You not only lose leverage by showing your cards, but openly say you won’t allow your GM and scouts to freely to their jobs, and forget about picking BPA if that player happens to be a defencemen. 

With owners like this guy, and Eugene Melnyk out there, it makes me actually pretty grateful for the Aquilinis lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Those ripping OJ need to remember he played Pro in Finalnd because he was too good for the CHL but didn't qualify for the AHL at the time. He would have played games last year if not getting injured. He was around 0.7-0.8 PPG in the AHL I believe. That is pretty damn good.

Good Point.  Let’s hope he can play next year.  

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Krumpalicious said:

Does anybody have a link or just straight up the information of where we pick in every round past the first. Google is failing me. 

I really like using this as a reference as it has all the trade and draft swap info in great detail. 

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2019.htm

It has every previous year listed as well as who was selected. Its an awesome site.

2 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

hopefully boldy get picked by van ....he loooks great

There will be teams that draft through need.   My prediction is it will be just like it was last year with Montreal and Phoenix picking off the board.  I wouldn't be surprised if teams picked Caufield, Broberg and Podkolzin in the top 9.  At least 2 of those 3. Imo.  Edit:  I forgot Knight.  The best goalie in over a decade.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 1

I’m saying that just like last year where we had our #3 fall to #7 the same thing could happen this draft.  We could draft Cozens, Dach, Zegras or Boldy.  When teams draft through need and Montreal proves doing that works....then the skies the limits for expectations :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

If there’s any truth to the rumours of trade talks between Vancouver and Buffalo, and if it’s Bogosian we land, I hope part of the trade results in being is a swap of our 10th pick for their 7th. 

Picking 7th could possibly put us in striking distance to make a move for Byram if he’s still on the board at the 5th or 6th spot. 

Come on Benning, make like Burke drafting the Sedins and think multiple steps ahead. 

Hmm interesting idea.

Suppose Byram is available at 4th/5th overall. And let's say we offer Juolevi + 10th overall to Colorado/LA, would they accept?

Essentially, we replace Juolevi with Byram, who seems to have a higher ceiling and miss out on drafting a top 6 player in this draft. 

Might not be a bad trade in my opinion, of course, there is always a possibility of Byram busting and Juolevi and 10th overall pick living up to their potential.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, khay said:

Hmm interesting idea.

Suppose Byram is available at 4th/5th overall. And let's say we offer Juolevi + 10th overall to Colorado/LA, would they accept?

Essentially, we replace Juolevi with Byram, who seems to have a higher ceiling and miss out on drafting a top 6 player in this draft. 

Might not be a bad trade in my opinion, of course, there is always a possibility of Byram busting and Juolevi and 10th overall pick living up to their potential.

I’m not sure there’d be much interest in Joulevi. There was a bit of league hype on him his draft year. But I think 30 other teams realized shortly after that most of his success was attributed to riding Marner and Tkatchuk’s coattails in London. 

• Wat 2

36 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’m not sure there’d be much interest in Joulevi. There was a bit of league hype on him his draft year. But I think 30 other teams realized shortly after that most of his success was attributed to riding Marner and Tkatchuk’s coattails in London. 

I see what you are saying but it can be said that Juolevi also boosted up their stats. I guess Juolevi may not be the #1/#2 but probably #2/#3 defenceman, who doesn't quite have that physical dominance but has high IQ to recognize and make plays. So when he plays with skilled players, he will shine. The downside is that he may not be the play driver on his own, like if you play with grinders, he will just be an average player.

17 minutes ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Joulevi posted 42 in 57 games points with Marner and Tkatchuk. He posted 42 points in 58 games when Marner and Tkatchuk left London. Who's coattails was he riding then? 

His own.

I am seriously curious about Juolevi's value. If we offer 10th + Juolevi, how high can we move up? I know it won't get us in the top 3 but maybe 5th OA? Or maybe I'm overvaluing Juolevi.

• Cheers 1

Regarding picks 3-4.

Was listening to a decent podcast can't remember which

Said that Chicago should rightfully look at Turcotte for being the local boy but also because Toews is not getting any younger or better (brought up Toews' back issues) and said at best there might only be 2-3 years to learn under him and there's a crowded blue line to think of.  A succession plan for a 1C is more important.

They also then brought up Colorado.  One of two things would happen.  Byram falling to them or Each being their selection.

1.  If Colorado took Byram, it means they were going to be patient.  With Makar now on the team and looking like the stud he is (what now FTG) they're in no rush to push another D man in the system and would rightfully let him marinate.  Meaning the Avs take a 1 year break and see where the team is

2.  Taking Dach means they're ready now.  That's a big body right there.  Each would slot in to the 3rd line C and should be ready for 2nd line duty in 2 seasons or less.

Essentially 1 pick is long term 1 pick is now.  Both have great benefits.  That of course then means Byram possibly falling to LA at which point they started discussing what LA would want at 5 for him and if there was really such a need for teams to move up.  Edmonton they said yes but had nothing to offer outside of the 8th and Puljujarvi 

This draft could very well be full of movements and picks we did not expect.

Still hoping Benning finds a way to move up to 1st and fleece NJ in the process ;)