The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Looks like we're pretty much locked into 9th overall position unless some miracles happen here in the next 6 days.  

Just for fun, here are the last 9th overall picks....  I had to look a long way down to find the first guy that didn't turn into an above average NHLer. 

2018 Vitali Kravtsov 

2017 Michael Rasmussen 

2016 Michail Sergachev 

2015 Timo Meier

2014 Nicholaj Ehlers

2013 Bo Horvat 

2012 Jacob Trouba

2011 Dougie Hamilton

2010 Mikael Granlund

2009 Jared Cowen

2008 Josh Bailey

2007 Logan Couture

2006 James Sheppard 

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah these would all be great picks.

Krebs on a better WHL team would look better. His physical skills don't blow you away but with that IQ & character, there's just something about him. Don't think Boldy is as much of a play driver as Krebs but more size. He'd be a nice complimentary piece to Horvat or Pettersson & Boeser. 

Soderstrom is more like Anton Stralman IMO. Full package TWD really. Had Heinola ahead of him originally but Soderstrom has more of a physical edge & is probably more polished.

Well I think ur undercutting Krebs skating ability. It’s top notch. Especially since his puck control and stick handling while accelerating are very impressive imo 

i agree Krebs is a better facilitator/playmaker with his hockey iq and vision. 

Boldy said something on the radio today, that his ability to read plays is natural to him but he has to thank his linemates who think the game on a similar level and are in the areas he anticipates.

krebs does not have that. Krebs linemates do not think the game anywhere near the level he does and people need to understand this.

hard to rank the euro dmen for me just haven’t seen them enough so I’ll just trust management and our scouts

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

If we pick 9th we will get a good player this draft for sure, and like that history you’ve shown! Filled with quality impact players. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would like to hope there is more science involved and players are given ratings based on different skills, attributes, and potential they possess. Then the ratings are are sorted in tiers based on rating differentials. BPA would mean selecting the highest rated player as long as their rating differential is within a certain number of points in front of the player behind them.        

The analtycz model, scouts version...

im sure it’s not far off that?

Whio can not be contained, is impossible to stop regardless who is guarding them?

Who is near impossible to beat? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

UFA. Nobody's suggesting you don't replace him.

Just like your "let's run with Markstrom and Lack" plan?  Moving our best goalie prospect who after years of development is finally NHL-ready just to plug another hole is at best a lateral and more likely a backwards move, when the only NHL goalie we have has had one solid season.  Sounds like that Gillis "Oh, we drafted Cory with the plan all along to spend years developing him then trade him away for a draft pick" narrative.  Just look at the difference in having better goaltending this year.  DiPietro is several years away; trading Demko sets back not only the rebuild but the franchise itself.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Looks like we're pretty much locked into 9th overall position unless some miracles happen here in the next 6 days.  

Just for fun, here are the last 9th overall picks....  I had to look a long way down to find the first guy that didn't turn into an above average NHLer. 

2018 Vitali Kravtsov 

2017 Michael Rasmussen 

2016 Michail Sergachev 

2015 Timo Meier

2014 Nicholaj Ehlers

2013 Bo Horvat 

2012 Jacob Trouba

2011 Dougie Hamilton

2010 Mikael Granlund

2009 Jared Cowen

2008 Josh Bailey

2007 Logan Couture

2006 James Sheppard 

Soderstrom is the Sergachev of this draft

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just like your "let's run with Markstrom and Lack" plan?  Moving our best goalie prospect who after years of development is finally NHL-ready just to plug another hole is at best a lateral and more likely a backwards move, when the only NHL goalie we have has had one solid season.  Sounds like that Gillis "Oh, we drafted Cory with the plan all along to spend years developing him then trade him away for a draft pick" narrative.  Just look at the difference in having better goaltending this year.  DiPietro is several years away; trading Demko sets back not only the rebuild but the franchise itself.

If management views Markstrom as their starter for the next +/- 5 years, I don't see the issue.

By all means, if the ED wasn't a factor, I'd happily let it play out. But it is. Feel free to bury your head.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If management views Markstrom as their starter for the next +/- 5 years, I don't see the issue.

By all means, if the ED wasn't a factor, I'd happily let it play out. But it is. Feel free to bury your head.

I don't understand why you would want to trade Demko over Markstrom.

Markstrom is older, more expensive and his value is at a relative peak right now. Demko is younger, has more potential and fits with our core better long term. Even if management viewed Markstrom as someone capable of being a starter for the next 5 years, why not move him then since he'll have more value? 

If we target Buffalo, maybe Markstrom could land San Jose's first round pick this year and take a faller like Veleno last year or Tolvanen the year before that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Markstrom is older, more expensive and his value is at a relative peak right now. Demko is younger, has more potential and fits with our core better long term. Even if management viewed Markstrom as someone capable of being a starter for the next 5 years, why not move him then since he'll have more value? 

If we target Buffalo, maybe Markstrom could land San Jose's first round pick this year and take a faller like Veleno last year or Tolvanen the year before that. 

Don’t sleep on a deal this summer. The goalie market is so fickle so if there is that much interest don’t wait. One year they can be great the next year not so great. Sell high and gamble on the future guy! 

Would love to get another late 1rst round pick. A team like Calgary could also be interested. We could pick up another goalie on a one to two year deal to split time and push Demko.

Brink, Pelletier and Puistola are the guys I really like in the 20-30 range!

A backup goalie can be important during regular season, but seldom has a big part of a team’s success in the long run IMO. So if we risk losing one at the ED, so be it. It’s much more important doing the right choice when committing to the future starter goalie. Hopefully it’s clearer who that is before ED. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

While I agree with your overall premise... we did receive our captain when we traded Schneider, who then bombed. If Marky is ready to lead the NHL for a few years to come maybe it makes sense if you are receiving a Horvaty player back.

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t sleep on a deal this summer. The goalie market is so fickle so if there is that much interest don’t wait. One year they can be great the next year not so great. Sell high and gamble on the future guy! 

Would love to get another late 1rst round pick. A team like Calgary could also be interested. We could pick up another goalie on a one to two year deal to split time and push Demko.

Brink, Pelletier and Puistola are the guys I really like in the 20-30 range!

Calgary would probably be interested, but I doubt we would trade Markstrom within the division if we didn't trade Schneider to Edmonton.

Team I would be calling are Buffalo, New Jersey, Florida, Philadelphia and St Louis. 

Sign someone like Talbot, Mrazek, Kinkaid, etc. to a cheap deal as long as there's not NMC. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Calgary would probably be interested, but I doubt we would trade Markstrom within the division if we didn't trade Schneider to Edmonton.

Team I would be calling are Buffalo, New Jersey, Florida, Philadelphia and St Louis. 

Sign someone like Talbot, Mrazek, Kinkaid, etc. to a cheap deal as long as there's not NMC. 

St Louis has Binnington.

Philly Carter Hart.

Two of Petey's three top rookie of the year candidates alternates. Along with Rasmus Dahlin. These guys are killing it. Where did you get your list?

Blackwood in Jersey has a profile like Demko. Not quite as well reviewed, but he appears to have almost stolen Jerseys net. Another rookie playing very well.

6 hours ago, shayster007 said:

While I agree with your overall premise... we did receive our captain when we traded Schneider, who then bombed. If Marky is ready to lead the NHL for a few years to come maybe it makes sense if you are receiving a Horvaty player back.

I'm not sure where the 'Schneider bombed' narrative comes from, but NJDs needed a #1 goalie and got 6 solid #1 seasons from Schneider. He has had troubles coming back from injury this season, but this year doesn't mean they won't get more good years from him.

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm not at all opposed to that idea either I just think it less likely given management's track record and where the team is at.

But IMO, we should seriously be looking at moving one while we can get value.

Edited by aGENT

I personally think Jacob Markstrom is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Playing behind one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL. 

So many goals were scored because Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Biega, was out of position. Edler and Tanev clearly held this defensive group together and with their absence being injured it clearly showed where the issue was. 

Demko has not played enough NHL games for us to know that he can take over as a #1 goalie or handle a full season as a starter.  How many games did Markstrom steel, how many shoot outs. He is way better than Luongo was when he was playing for us. Markstrom has size and uses it efficiently, he has fast reflexes and comes up with huge saves. He loves to battle and is a good leader in the locker room. Markstrom has earned the #1 goalie spot for this team. We will fight for the playoffs next season. Once our defensive group is improved we will be in a much better position. 

A lot of teams out there are jealous of our goaltending. Its one of the only things going right for this team. Leave it in place. We can always sign a free agent forward. 

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I personally think Jacob Markstrom is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Playing behind one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL. 

So many goals were scored because Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Biega, was out of position. Edler and Tanev clearly held this defensive group together and with their absence being injured it clearly showed where the issue was. 

Demko has not played enough NHL games for us to know that he can take over as a #1 goalie or handle a full season as a starter.  How many games did Markstrom steel, how many shoot outs.

Precisely why I think:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm not at all opposed to that idea either I just think it less likely given management's track record and where the team is at.

But IMO, we should seriously be looking at moving one while we can get value.

20 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

A lot of teams out there are jealous of our goaltending. Its one of the only things going right for this team. Leave it in place. 

Problem being that the ED likely wouldn't leave it in place and we need to either re-sign or move Marky this coming year. And if we re-sign Marky, there's not particularly a short term need or fit for Demko. And then two years from now, whichever goalie we leave unprotected either goes for free in the ED or is traded below market value due to ED market pressures.

Or we can package one to fill an existing team need (likely somewhat dependent on who we draft in the 1st/lotto balls) and sign a vet UFA to fill in and expose in the ED.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Precisely why I think:

Problem being that the ED likely wouldn't leave it in place and we need to either re-sign or move Marky this coming year. And if we re-sign Marky, there's not particularly a short term need or fit for Demko. And then two years from now, whichever goalie we leave unprotected either goes for free in the ED or is traded below market value due to ED market pressures.

Or we can package one to fill an existing team need (likely somewhat dependent on who we draft in the 1st/lotto balls) and sign a vet UFA to fill in and expose in the ED.

I see you reasoning now. I guess Markstrom has the higher value but its a big risk. We would have to get something good back for him to be worth it. Similar to the top 10 pick we got for Cory Schneider 

Maybe trade him to Edmonton for their 2019 1st 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Cheers 4

Chances are they don't trade either goalie, they are trying to make the playoffs next year and Bennings job could be at stake if they dont. We dont have great goalie depth and if one of our goalies get injured it could end our season without the other. Demko is the goalie of the future, the only way we trade him is if Mikey D proves he can be an NHL #1 goalie. I would move Markstrom at trade deadline next year if Demko takes the reins and they can find a really good vet backup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1