The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't know. I do know that the comet guys around here will find a way to pin it on the canucks.

Boucher has not been playing well, so I take it he was sent a message tonight.... That's All I got for you on that...

Springfield started the season the hottest team in the league and was the last team to lose a regulation game. Looked very frustrated with around a 500 record since......

Dahlens best game that I have seen... Also thought Palmu and Gadjovich were more involved....

• Upvote 1

FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T WATCH THE GAME THIS WAS WAY BEYOND CHIPPY, UNFORTUNATELY THE HIGHLIGHTS DON'T SHOW ALL THE CHEAP SHOTS WHICH IN THE END COST SPRINGFIELD BIG TIME. IVE BEEN A SEASON TICKET HOLDER FROM DAY 1 AND THIS SPRINGFIELD TEAM WAS PULLING OUT ALL THE CHEAP SHOTS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF A LEAGUE BELOW THE ECHL LIKE IN SLAPSHOT. THE SCENE IN SLAPSHOT WHERE THEY FOUGHT DURING THE WARMUPS WAS FILMED HERE IN THE AUD.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its a chippy game, the Thunderbirds playing like goons and trying to intentionally hurt the Comets players with blindside hits and crosschecking.

Trash AHL goons on the T--birds

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

AHL, and even worse in the ECHL, and lesser pro leagues.  The markets want WWE mixed in with some hockey.  

The one time that the Comets are featured as the AHL free game of the week on Facebook and it turns into a throwback to the 90's.  I was going to say the 80's but in the 80's that standoff after the game would have been a full out brawl.

The game last night was not indicative at all to what a typical AHL game looks like.  The AHL has been on the same trend as the NHL with fewer fights every season and a lot less hits in general.  This was the first meeting this year with Springfield so I can't comment on what their typical games look like but Bobby Farnham is a rat just like the many rats that still skate in the NHL and Paul Thompson has always been a fighter and dirty player. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The one time that the Comets are featured as the AHL free game of the week on Facebook and it turns into a throwback to the 90's.  I was going to say the 80's but in the 80's that standoff after the game would have been a full out brawl.

The game last night was not indicative at all to what a typical AHL game looks like.  The AHL has been on the same trend as the NHL with fewer fights every season and a lot less hits in general.  This was the first meeting this year with Springfield so I can't comment on what their typical games look like but Bobby Farnham is a rat just like the many rats that still skate in the NHL and Paul Thompson has always been a fighter and dirty player. 

Enjoyable game to watch though?

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Enjoyable game to watch though?

Yes it was.  The Comets effort in Rochester Wednesday night was terrible and probably had something to do with Boucher being scratched last night.  I thought Boucher and Archie mailed it in and both are supposed to be showing leadership to the younger players on the team.

Springfield with their cheap shots woke the Comets up and they played with a spark of energy that has been lacking recently.  They showed some push back but kept enough restraint to stay out of the box.  What ever Springfield was trying to accomplish wasn't working as two of the Comets goals came on 5 on 3 power plays and another during a delayed penalty with an extra skater on the ice.

It was fun to see a fired up Thatcher Demko as he was close to jumping Farnham at the end of the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Yes it was.  The Comets effort in Rochester Wednesday night was terrible and probably had something to do with Boucher being scratched last night.  I thought Boucher and Archie mailed it in and both are supposed to be showing leadership to the younger players on the team.

Springfield with their cheap shots woke the Comets up and they played with a spark of energy that has been lacking recently.  They showed some push back but kept enough restraint to stay out of the box.  What ever Springfield was trying to accomplish wasn't working as two of the Comets goals came on 5 on 3 power plays and another during a delayed penalty with an extra skater on the ice.

It was fun to see a fired up Thatcher Demko as he was close to jumping Farnham at the end of the game.

Did not see the final 2 minutes. Just before my feed froze, McEneny was limping off the ice ! Any updates on his health. Thought he looked great in the first two periods. ( only saw bits and pieces of the 3rd period ).

14 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Did not see the final 2 minutes. Just before my feed froze, McEneny was limping off the ice ! Any updates on his health. Thought he looked great in the first two periods. ( only saw bits and pieces of the 3rd period ).

I saw him limp off but wasn't really looking for him at the end of the game to see if he was skating okay..

The end of the game got heated because Farnham is a Marchand style rat. With about 6 seconds left in the game everybody on the ice stopped skating to let the clock run out. With Blujus all alone in his corner of the rink holding the puck Farnham decides that it is one last chance to get a shot in and skates clear across the ice and nails Blujus with 1.8 seconds left.  He then trash talks everyone with Demko trying to get a piece of him.  That lead to the stare down at center ice after the refs ended the game with 1.8 seconds left and Demko still wanting a piece of Farnham. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure who the player was from Springfield that shoved the linesman at the end of the game but that was a really dumb thing to do. I am guessing he will face supplementary discipline from the AHL today for that indiscretion.  

From the box score last night.  I'm sure he will be suspended for this.

20:00 SPR Ian McCoshen, Game misconduct - Physical abuse of officials, 10 min
  • Thanks 1