The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nando Eggenberger invited to Development Camp

thejazz97

4 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

Wasn’t McEneny signed after being passed over in the draft just once? 

Draft Eligibility

He doesn't fit any of these criteria's therefore he cannot be signed as a UFA yet. McEneny was signed because he checks the 4th criteria. Eggenberger is a European player, and doesn't check any of the boxes above. Much like Rodrigo Abols who we also couldn't sign that training camp and ended up drafting him the following draft.

I hope someone with greater knowledge can confirm this but to my understanding he cannot be signed.

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Tyler Soy has also been invited to development camp.

Bring Conner McDonald on board and we can have McDonald's Eggenberger with Soy.

Big fan of Soy. Really like his hockey IQ and vision on the ice. Not sure he's an NHL player but would love to see him in our system.

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Draft Eligibility

He doesn't fit any of these criteria's therefore he cannot be signed as a UFA yet. McEneny was signed because he checks the 4th criteria. Eggenberger is a European player, and doesn't check any of the boxes above. Much like Rodrigo Abols who we also couldn't sign that training camp and ended up drafting him the following draft.

I hope someone with greater knowledge can confirm this but to my understanding he cannot be signed.

McEneny was 18 when he signed. Don't know if the CBA has changed. I think @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME mentions a signing window that may have been recently closed.

19 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

McEneny was 18 when he signed. Don't know if the CBA has changed. I think @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME mentions a signing window that may have been recently closed.

As far as I can tell, the issue is between European and North American prospects. If a player was in a league outside North America, and went undrafted, they cannot be signed to an NHL SPC until they are age 22 or older (unless they get drafted).

However, if a U20 draft eligible player played in a NA league, and went undrafted, they can be signed during a window starting from the close of the draft they went unclaimed and ending at the opening of their next Major Junior season (this window can be extended to the opening of the NHL season if the undrafted player signs a tryout).

So with McEneny, he was 18, went unclaimed in the 2012 draft (his first year of eligibility), and then was signed to an ELC in September 2012, just before the start of the 2012-13 OHL season.

At least this was how things worked under the old CBA.

And I suspect it’s still the case under the new CBA. 

The relevant section is CBA 8.9:

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).
(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.
(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry Draft."

8.9.b.ii applies to McEneny

8.9.b.iii applies to Eggenberger 

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

As far as I can tell, the issue is between European and North American prospects. If a player was in a league outside North America, and went undrafted, they cannot be signed to an NHL SPC until they are age 22 or older (unless they get drafted).

However, if a U20 draft eligible player played in a NA league, and went undrafted, they can be signed during a window starting from the close of the draft they went unclaimed and ending at the opening of their next Major Junior season (this window can be extended to the opening of the NHL season if the undrafted player signs a tryout).

So with McEneny, he was 18, went unclaimed in the 2012 draft (his first year of eligibility), and then was signed to an ELC in September 2012, just before the start of the 2012-13 OHL season.

At least this was how things worked under the old CBA.

And I suspect it’s still the case under the new CBA. 

The relevant section is CBA 8.9:

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).
(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.
(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry Draft."

8.9.b.ii applies to McEneny

8.9.b.iii applies to Eggenberger 

could he sign a contract with Utica? 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could he sign a contract with Utica? 

Yes, he could.

And I suppose if he did, and then went undrafted next year, he could be signed to an NHL deal. 

Or we could play him in Utica and then draft him next year if we liked what we saw.

EDIT: Actually, I’m not entirely sure how draft eligibility might work if he signed an AHL deal. Such a rare situation that I’ve never looked into it.

But I know he could be signed to an AHL deal, assuming transfer arrangements worked re: his Swiss club (he has another year remaining on his deal with Davos).

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yes, he could.

And I suppose if he did, and then went undrafted next year, he could be signed to an NHL deal. 

Or we could play him in Utica and then draft him next year if we liked what we saw.

EDIT: Actually, I’m not entirely sure how draft eligibility might work if he signed an AHL deal. Such a rare situation that I’ve never looked into it.

But I know he could be signed to an AHL deal, assuming transfer arrangements worked re: his Swiss club.

I was wondering if there's a loophole there, if we show some confidence in him with an AHL deal maybe we can sign him after that? or he can get some experience in the AHL he can take back to the SHL for 2 years and we can sign him then. Maybe the Canucks showing some confidence in him now could pay off later.

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was in Winnipeg last week and a friend ordered a burger with an egg on top of the burger. Made the burger huge! 

15 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

That is normal here in Texas. No wonder we are so fat <_<

Well, you have to take the egg out of the shell, and fry it so it lies flat. That takes some of the height out of it...

regards,  G.

51 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

I'm just surprised no one took a flyer on him with their 7th round pick. 

Well we should have just asked for Washington's 7th round pick when we moved down. I doubt Washington is going to care about mister long shot and we could have used it to draft him instead of doing this dance. 

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well we should have just asked for Washington's 7th round pick when we moved down. I doubt Washington is going to care about mister long shot and we could have used it to draft him instead of doing this dance. 

everyone passed on him for some reason. Maybe he can't skate well? who knows, we can have a look at prospect camp. 

Archived