The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nando Eggenberger invited to Development Camp

thejazz97

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

His middle name better be bacon! Always interesting to see how camp invites do.

Well, if it's bacon as in "Side" then the team could perhaps use another winger. If it's "Back" then that will only add to the logjam on defense.

regards,  G.

Projection and Comparison

Eggenberger is an interesting case. The package of skills is there, but for whatever reason, it has not translated to production for Davos. While it is often tough for teenagers to score in men’s leagues, Eggenberger’s lack of production is still a bit concerning. It is hoped that he can put those tools together and become and effective scorer at the domestic level. The team that drafts Eggenberger may have a bit of a project on their hands, but if the development goes well, he could be a two-way top-six forward at the NHL level. Eggenberger’s game is reminiscent of Loui Eriksson, but this is a stylistic comparison and not one based on skill and ability.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/13/nando-eggenberger-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft-75/

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yes, he could.

And I suppose if he did, and then went undrafted next year, he could be signed to an NHL deal. 

Or we could play him in Utica and then draft him next year if we liked what we saw.

EDIT: Actually, I’m not entirely sure how draft eligibility might work if he signed an AHL deal. Such a rare situation that I’ve never looked into it.

But I know he could be signed to an AHL deal, assuming transfer arrangements worked re: his Swiss club (he has another year remaining on his deal with Davos).

The Oilers tried to do that similar loophole with Vladimir Tkachev and the league voided his entry level deal a couple of years ago.

11 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

We actually have a hamburger with waffles as the buns, topped with bacon, eggs and hash browns.  Our Bloody Mary's or Caesars as y'all call them are quite ludicrous too.

Gluttony at its finest.   

be5302656d30a17a8a51a545ee4c8090.jpg

A Caesar isn't a Bloody Mary fyi.  It's close but the Caesar is made with clamato juice (clam and tomato).  Yes, it's good.  

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

The Oilers tried to do that similar loophole with Vladimir Tkachev and the league voided his entry level deal a couple of years ago.

Yea its too bad if they felt like they wanted to invite him this quick to camp why didn't they just use a draft pick on him?  It was a bummer when I read The Athletic article about how they can't sign him this year 

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

A Caesar isn't a Bloody Mary fyi.  It's close but the Caesar is made with clamato juice (clam and tomato).  Yes, it's good.  

Wiki states that the Caesar is mainly a Canadian drink. Growing up in Africa, I was well aware of both drinks, but what made a Caesar a Caesar to us was the celery. It was seen as Brutus' knife in Caesar's back.

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Hair of the dog or not, it all sounds gross lol. I hate tomato juice and the thought of combining it with clam juice makes me nauseous. 

13 hours ago, Odd. said:

it sounds like in that case the issue was he hadn't played a full season in North America prior to signing an ELC. So wouldn't Eggie be eligible to sign with us if he spent the whole year in Utica? or do you have to play the year in North America prior to being unselected in a draft in all cases? Maybe we should try the Utica route for a year, then sign an ELC with him if he does well and wait to see what the league says, maybe its a loophole no one covered yet. 

"Less than six hours after the ink hit the paper, the contract was deemed invalid by the NHL citing that the player was ineligible to sign until the following season. The Oilers thought that the player was eligible to be signed as he had played the previous season in North America and wasn’t selected in the draft. 

What they didn’t realize however, was that Tkachyov needed to play a full-season in North America. He only played 20 games the year prior with the Wildcats and came over from Russia halfway through the season."

https://oilersnation.com/2017/02/01/the-oilers-are-still-courting-vladimir-tkachyov/

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it sounds like in that case the issue was he hadn't played a full season in North America prior to signing an ELC. So wouldn't Eggie be eligible to sign with us if he spent the whole year in Utica? or do you have to play the year in North America prior to being unselected in a draft in all cases? Maybe we should try the Utica route for a year, then sign an ELC with him if he does well and wait to see what the league says, maybe its a loophole no one covered yet. 

I think the CBA is pretty clear that the player needs to (1) play a full season in NA, (2) go unclaimed in the draft, and (3) get signed between the conclusion of the draft and the commencement of his next season.

So even if we had Eggenberger in Utica for 2018-19, we couldn’t offer him an NHL contract until we either drafted him in 2019, or he went unclaimed in the 2019 draft.

One interesting option would be to sign him for a two-year AHL deal. I don’t know if there’s an actual rule in place, but I believe that common practice is for other teams to notify clubs if they have interest in signing players under AHL contracts with another organization to an NHL deal.

I believe this is because the AHL contract technically requires termination before any NHL deal can be processed. But I wonder if a “gentleman’s agreement” would come into play at the draft, and if Nando was under contract with Utica, would other teams let the Canucks know ahead of any pick that they intended to draft him?

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the CBA is pretty clear that the player needs to (1) play a full season in NA, (2) go unclaimed in the draft, and (3) get signed between the conclusion of the draft and the commencement of his next season.

So even if we had Eggenberger in Utica for 2018-19, we couldn’t offer him a contract until we either drafted him in 2019, or he went unclaimed in the 2019 draft.

One interesting option would be to sign him for a two-year AHL deal. I don’t know if there’s an actual rule in place, but I believe that common practice is for other teams to notify clubs if they have interest in signing players under AHL contracts with another organization to an NHL deal.

I believe this is because the AHL contract technically requires termination before any NHL deal can be processed. But I wonder if a “gentleman’s agreement” would come into play at the draft, and if Nando was under contract with Utica, would other teams let the Canucks know ahead of any pick that they intended to draft him?

I could see some GMs doing that, but also a guy like Bergevin or TO picking him anyway. 

Archived