The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jay Beagle | #83 | C

-SN-

I wonder if Hoglander will usurp Beagle at training camp as the fittest Canuck.   When he first arrived, he blew the Sedins away with his conditioning.   Loved his comment "That was a bag skate?" as he watched Stecher and Jake puke in the corner.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I wonder if Hoglander will usurp Beagle at training camp as the fittest Canuck.   When he first arrived, he blew the Sedins away with his conditioning.   Loved his comment "That was a bag skate?" as he watched Stecher and Jake puke in the corner.

That kind of fitness does help a guy play well into his later years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beagle keep going until he's close to 40 or even older if injuries don't take him out of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised to hear JB mention that Beagle will be back despite all of his injuries. Doubt he'll play 82 games but if we get 40-50 out of him I'd be happy, he's still great on the PK and faceoffs and a veteran leader in the locker room, perfect for the 4C role.

Sounds like they want Sutter back too so that makes a perfect 4th line shutdown pairing. 

Dickinson can't do it all and he wasn't even Dallas' main shutdown center (think that was mainly on Faksa) so having Beagle-Sutter together (alongside a kid like MacEwan for energy) might be perfect to let Dickinson-Motte go out and play a bit more in the offensive zone.

My only worry is Beagle and Sutter's speed but I'd trust them much more defensively than Boyd/Vesey/Highmore who just got shelled last season.

• Like 1

Out of all the guys we've let go recently, it's Beagle that I will miss the most.  We need character guys like that.  I think we've got the skill positions covered, we now need some more grit and push-back.  It's actually harder to find the skill guys so we've got the difficult part done, but we can't ignore the value of grinders like Beagle.  Good luck Jay.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...