The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jay Beagle | #83 | C

-SN-

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

In which game did this injury occur? Was it the last game against Winnipeg? I didn't see anything that looked serious to him or Sutter.

I'm not sure tbh. I just kind of assumed he was a little banged up and didn't see this coming. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He'd almost certainly go on LTIR... But that + Ferland's cap would give us over $6m we could potentially go over in cap (or give room for Ferland to come back, if healthy).

If course, then we'll need to find a 3 and 4C...

Unless they choose to retain Sutter at a discounted rate, which I would love to keep him if possible. but only if he takes a significant pay cut. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He'd almost certainly go on LTIR... But that + Ferland's cap would give us over $6m we could potentially go over in cap (or give room for Ferland to come back, if healthy).

If course, then we'll need to find a 3 and 4C...

I think we will be able to find some quality experienced centres, with some size on cheap, short term deals this offseason.  

I'd look at 3C:

Lowry- cost probably way to high

Wennberg

Johansson

Bjustad

Anisimov

Zajac

Haula

4C (all assuming 1 or 2 year deals at 1-1.5 Mil)

Krejci

Spezza

Soderberg

Getzlaf

Backes

Staal

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Looks like he already is on LTIR.  He's probably gone for the season.  But then again, the Canucks season may be gone for the season.:sadno:

I meant next season. He'd be/go on LTIR, not retire.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Unless they choose to retain Sutter at a discounted rate, which I would love to keep him if possible. but only if he takes a significant pay cut. 

Yeah, I'm fine with Sutter and/or Pearson coming back at far lower rates.

13 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think we will be able to find some quality experienced centres, with some size on cheap, short term deals this offseason.  

I'd look at 3C:

Lowry- cost probably way to high

Wennberg

Johansson

Bjustad

Anisimov

Zajac

Haula

4C (all assuming 1 or 2 year deals at 1-1.5 Mil)

Krejci

Spezza

Soderberg

Getzlaf

Backes

Staal

I'm also ok if we chose to explore some of these options as well.

Wow, didn't see this coming for Beagle.  I don't recall seeing anything that would have indicated some sort of career ending injury.  That's too bad for Beagle.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Helps to explain why management is interested in keeping Pearson around.  Still wouldn't justify a contract north of $3M for him, but he would help provide some stability.

No to all those UFA choices except Lowry but he's going to make too much for our cap situation. No to retaining Sutter even at a discount, we ain't winning with him. Kole Lind and Lukas Jasek should be called up and start playing the rest of the games for us this season. Gotta see what you have in house before we spend in UFA. Virtanen and Gaudette could be traded for C back.

19 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What’s going on with Beagle?

I had just seen another report that he is likely done for this season and there's speculation that he might be done for all of next as well:

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/4/8/22373836/vancouver-canucks-news-jay-beagle-nhl-career-jeopardy

Would really hate to see him end his career this way.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, aGENT said:

I think there is an underlying reason for not letting veteran leadership go.  We had a little scare when Markstrom and Tanev were let go last off season.  Benning may be more careful to retain players who bring this if he can re-sign them at friendly new salaries.  Especially if Beagle is done through the end of his contract.

Benning has already signed Pearson ofc for $500k less than he was making.

Sutter at 1-2 years at $2-2.5M would work for me.  But this also means finding another viable bottom 6 centre at a reasonable cost.  Going with Lind may be in the long term interest but when?  Benning has shown himself to lean towards caution and not assume that a young player can just step in and play

Edler on a 1 year contract at $2.5 would work too

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:22 AM, appleboy said:

He is only owed 1 mil of actual money. 

Sorry to be that guy, but Beagle is owed $2.2M for 2021-22.

On another note, whether Beagle retires or stays on the LTIR for the entire 2021-22 is mostly inconsequential.  I suspect Brandon Sutter is going to be signed so he will probably take up the full cap relief of $3.0M that would be gained from Beagle being on the LTIR for 2021-22 (as long as Benning doesn't sign Sutter for anything more than $3.0M...and let's hope it's only for one year). 

Now, only if Eriksson would retire.  That would be a cap windfall.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Sorry to be that guy, but Beagle is owed $2.2M for 2021-22.

On another note, whether Beagle retires or stays on the LTIR for the entire 2021-22 is mostly inconsequential.  I suspect Brandon Sutter is going to be signed so he will probably take up the full cap relief of $3.0M that would be gained from Beagle being on the LTIR for 2021-22 (as long as Benning doesn't sign Sutter for anything more than $3.0M...and let's hope it's only for one year). 

Now, only if Eriksson would retire.  That would be a cap windfall.

Not according to nicks misconduct.com

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2021/4/8/22373836/vancouver-canucks-news-jay-beagle-nhl-career-jeopardy

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

What's the world coming to when you can't trust the internet?  According to capfriendly, it looks like $2.2M is owed to Beagle ($1.2M in salary and $1.0M in signing bonus): https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jay-beagle

:)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I was listening to the radio yesterday and it said that Beagle was close to returning.  Not sure if they meant close to coming off the Covid list... but there still hasn't been any actual word that he is even going to be on LTIR for the rest of the season, never mind next season.

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any further word on Beagle? I saw a tweet (Dreger I think) that mentioned he was wearing a non-contact jersey and was practicing with the team a few weeks ago. He might not return this season but I would expect him back next season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...