The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antoine Roussel | #26 | LW

-SN-

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It is a good idea. Let BigMac finish the road trip.

Actually read in the “injuries thread” that Rousell is traveling with the Team..  I do agree , would be nice to have MacEwan finish the trip.

Damn Eriksson is such a plug on this franchise's system of development.

• Upvote 1

On November 23, 2019 at 5:32 PM, SilentSam said:

Hearing AR might go to Utica for a couple games conditioning?   Anybody else hear this? 

Just heard that on 650 this morning. Said they were dropping him off on the way. So he should be back in the Canucks lineup in a week or two.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, reyezone said:

I wonder why Roussel has such a bad rap and picks up so many penalties?

I know he's tough checking and tenacious but I don't find him particularly dirty, not at a Kadri or Matt Calvert level.

Maybe my homer bias is showing?

He doesn't have to be dirty. Its the patented smirk and french accent coated smack talk drive players absolutely insane. Theyre not sure what he said but picked out bits and pieces. Burr had this in spades. Miss that guy, but rous is making it easier to cope.

• Cheers 1

I was always supportive of the signing and still am. He has always been a streaky scorer, but he has enough talent to be a threat. So much so that he is a viable 2nd line option in a pinch.

More obviously, however, is the way he plays. Hard and gritty, as mentioned above. We have a big group of guys and I feel their size and playing style translates well to playing playoff series hockey.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Maddogy said:

Antoine is the weakest link on the third line. I prefer to swap him with one of the AHL players for the game in Boston. 

not when he's fully healthy... I wonder if he could benefit from a few more rest days, not sure that knee is at 100%. I'm curious to see how two big, speedy guys like Bailey and Jake do on the same line. 

I met him in the skybox at the end of the pre-season, he said he was already nearly fully healed but needed a month or two to get his one leg back to the same size and strength as the other (you could literally see the size difference when he put his hands around both legs). He also said it takes another 10-15 games once back to truly get back up to game speed and stamina as there's nothing you can do in practice to simulate the real game intensity.

I agree he has been the weak link lately but not for lack of IQ or effort. I'd give him another 5 games or so before starting to worry.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I met him in the skybox at the end of the pre-season, he said he was already nearly fully healed but needed a month or two to get his one leg back to the same size and strength as the other (you could literally see the size difference when he put his hands around both legs). He also said it takes another 10-15 games once back to truly get back up to game speed and stamina as there's nothing you can do in practice to simulate the real game intensity.

I agree he has been the weak link lately but not for lack of IQ or effort. I'd give him another 5 games or so before starting to worry.

His line happens to be the weakest link as well. He is easier to take out of the lineup than Gaudette. The 3rd line consistently fails to secure puck possession in the offensive zone. They spend the rest of their shifts defending in D zone which is not their strong suit. This line reminds me of the struggling 4th line during November. 

If you want to see Boeser open on top of the slot releasing his shot, someone has to secure puck possession and pass the puck to Boeser. Both Gaudette and Roussell failed to generate space for Boeser and both of them failed to make plays for Boeser. In this regard I am resigning to the fact that at least for now Boeser can't drive plays, he is limited in this regard like Patrick Laine. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

His line happens to be the weakest link as well. He is easier to take out of the lineup than Gaudette. The 3rd line consistently fails to secure puck possession in the offensive zone. They spend the rest of their shifts defending in D zone which is not their strong suit. This line reminds me of the struggling 4th line during November. 

If you want to see Boeser open on top of the slot releasing his shot, someone has to secure puck possession and pass the puck to Boeser. Both Gaudette and Roussell failed to generate space for Boeser and both of them failed to make plays for Boeser. In this regard I am resigning to the fact that at least for now Boeser can't drive plays, he is limited in this regard like Patrick Laine. 

At the very least, Roussell has been a positive role model for these two young guys in their 2nd and 3rd seasons and it's exciting to see that we have other (young) players higher in the lineup that afford us the opportunity to let these guys figure it out and grow on the third line.

Also it's only a matter of time until Boeser-Horvat happens again. I hope. I really hope.

• Cheers 2