The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antoine Roussel | #26 | LW

-SN-

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

We need to get more guys for PK, Roussel is playing 11:45 and since knee injury his career is going down fast 29GP - 3 PTS..

The guys on 650 say he is in line up for his PK, Come on we need to address this, Roussel should be in press box more..

Well...I hear that Loui has been recalled.  Perhaps you would rather see his sorry arse on the team?:unsure:

Edited by higgyfan

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Love Rous but Canucks have to move on.

I doubt they move him in the off season though. I think they will want to see just what they have in both Big Mac and Gadjovich in training camp before looking into moving him.

IMO, they are his most likely replacements as far as having an agitator in your face type player goes and both are only 3rd line players at best.

The only real benefit of moving him in the off season would be the added 2 mil in cap space (both Mac and Roussel are signed for under a Mil) and the flexibility that would provide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:41 AM, aGENT said:

If he hurt his knee again, he may just be on 'LTIRetirement' to close out his contract.

He hasn't been the same since he hurt it the first time. If it's been re-injured...

I have defended Roussel, because I liked what he did here and how he played that first year before his knee injury. We're at the point now though where, if he performs like he did this year, Highmore is a cheaper, better option for us.

I'm hoping that they will give him benefit of doubt though and see if he can come to camp next season and show that he can still do what he did that first year. If not, Abbotsford will be just down the highway and he can ride out his contract there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 1:11 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I have defended Roussel, because I liked what he did here and how he played that first year before his knee injury. We're at the point now though where, if he performs like he did this year, Highmore is a cheaper, better option for us.

I'm hoping that they will give him benefit of doubt though and see if he can come to camp next season and show that he can still do what he did that first year. If not, Abbotsford will be just down the highway and he can ride out his contract there.

Yup, agree, and if he's the pro I think he is he'll give his all to make the NHL roster, and if it's not enough he should give his all in Abbot instead and learn the young guys what being a pro is all about. No need to feel sorry for himself or for fans to pity him with the contract he has.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Googlie said:

A healthy Roussel (like we saw in his first year) is a productive, 3rd liner with absolutely nothing wrong with his cap hit.

Unfortunately, after his knee injury, he just hasn't been the same player. Just not as effective. And if he's in fact re-injured that same knee....:wacko:

By all accounts he's a great team mate, great in the community and healthy, was a very capable 3rd line player. Fingers crossed he can train his way back to even close to that level this summer but I'm not holding my breath.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

A healthy Roussel (like we saw in his first year) is a productive, 3rd liner with absolutely nothing wrong with his cap hit.

Unfortunately, after his knee injury, he just hasn't been the same player. Just not as effective. And if he's in fact re-injured that same knee....:wacko:

By all accounts he's a great team mate, great in the community and healthy, was a very capable 3rd line player. Fingers crossed he can train his way back to even close to that level this summer but I'm not holding my breath.

IMHO there is only room for 2 vets on the bottom 6. A healthy Rous can be one if he shows well in camp. I think the Canucks have to play the younger players to develop them and know what they have. The depth is throwing a number of players up to the big club for consideration.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO there is only room for 2 vets on the bottom 6. A healthy Rous can be one if he shows well in camp. I think the Canucks have to play the younger players to develop them and know what they have. The depth is throwing a number of players up to the big club for consideration.  

Are we counting Motte as a vet?

Otherwise I'm not sure I agree with your math.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

hoping he can come back healthy and motivated.  knee injuries take time, so hopefully this off season will give him the time/training he needs to be as effective as possible.  If not, Abbotsford bound...

He was off of the IR list while the season was still going on. I don't think we could have re-activated him because of the cap. He will have a longer time for rehab.

He's only owed $1,900,000.00 in salary and has a 5 team no trade list. I think he is trade-able  with some salary retention. He can also play and if he stays healthy be a contributor or a movable piece at the deadline.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

i think your setting yourself up for disappointment. Green runs the show and the canucks run by green have never been a developmental team. also I diagree with your method of development, i would rather Lind get 20 minutes in the ahl then 8 minutes in the nhl. you have to steal minutes from the top 2 lines if you want the bottom 6 to play more than 25 minutes a game

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i think your setting yourself up for disappointment. Green runs the show and the canucks run by green have never been a developmental team. also I diagree with your method of development, i would rather Lind get 20 minutes in the ahl then 8 minutes in the nhl. you have to steal minutes from the top 2 lines if you want the bottom 6 to play more than 25 minutes a game

That's why it would be a good move to have Miller center the 3rd line.  He's not going to settle for 10 or 11 mins a game (although mins would increase if he PPs and PKs as well as having regular shifts 5 on 5)  Miller between Podz and Hoglander would be an awesome line. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

That's why it would be a good move to have Miller center the 3rd line.  He's not going to settle for 10 or 11 mins a game (although mins would increase if he PPs and PKs as well as having regular shifts 5 on 5)  Miller between Podz and Hoglander would be an awesome line. 

Hoglander's skills are better suited for the top 6 hopefully next to Pettersson.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Go that route and all the fans will explode when we lose games. 

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Go that route and all the fans will explode when we lose games. 

Perhaps I am too fixated on 2-3 years out. I am not overly worried about playoffs next year and think player development supersedes that concern. Bottom 2 lines with one vet per line with perhaps another on the taxi squad is worth trying. Highmore is not in my vet category.  Mott, Rous, Sutter and Beagle. I would go with Mott and Rous. 

10 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Hoglander's skills are better suited for the top 6 hopefully next to Pettersson.

But who would be the "top 6" in my scenario.  One might argue that Miller's line could be the top line, given his faceoff prowess and point production since coming here. It could be read as adding Hoglander to the #1 line.