The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antoine Roussel | #26 | LW

-SN-

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Antoine Roussel is one tough customer, he is tied for the NHL lead in penalty minutes with Tom Wilson since the start of the 12/13 season when he entered the league. The top 10 is as follows:

1. 14.png Antoine Roussel (LW) 413 64 77 141 0.341 806 -5
2. 3.png Tom Wilson (RW) 391 35 69 104 0.266 806 22
3. 3.png Cody McLeod (LW) 390 34 26 60 0.154 790 -9
4. 3.png Chris Neil (RW) 295 22 28 50 0.169 661 -19
5. 3.png Derek Dorsett (RW/LW) 259 27 44 71 0.274 640 -28
6. 6.png Dustin Byfuglien (D) 420 86 193 279 0.664 592 13
7. 3.png Ryan Reaves (RW) 410 26 27 53 0.129 587 -10
8. 3.png Wayne Simmonds (RW) 440 159 143 302 0.686 580 -57
9. 3.png Zack Kassian (RW) 343 48 59 107 0.312 563 -27
10. 3.png Matt Martin (LW) 417 38 41 79 0.189 559 -15

Wow. I knew he was an agitator but I had no idea he was up there in PIMS with some of those tough guys. I like it lol!!

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Wow. I knew he was an agitator but I had no idea he was up there in PIMS with some of those tough guys. I like it lol!!

I like the aggression and agitation so long as he doesn't take dumb penalties. Burr once had problems with that but got it sorted out as he got older. 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I like the aggression and agitation so long as he doesn't take dumb penalties. Burr once had problems with that but got it sorted out as he got older. 

He will occasionally take a dumb penalty. Best prepare yourself for it now and save yourself the righteous indignation later ;)

But he draws just as many penalties as he takes and throws the opposition off their games. Canuck fans are going to love him once he gets up to speed.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

He will occasionally take a dumb penalty. Best prepare yourself for it now and save yourself the righteous indignation later ;)

But he draws just as many penalties as he takes and throws the opposition off their games. Canuck fans are going to love him once he gets up to speed.

Drawing penalties definitely helps even out the score. I look forward to that side of his game for sure.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Drawing penalties definitely helps even out the score. I look forward to that side of his game for sure.

No offence to the Twins but the current Canucks PP looks much more dangerous. If Roussel can draw penalties ::D!!!!

He was a very bright spot in a dark game on Saturday. He was flying hitting people all over the ice, got his shot away even after being hooked, got a do-over and scored, overall his game was really good. I really enjoy what he brings to the team, I hope he terrorizes teams the league this year, and helps reverse the soft team mentality.

Small sample size, but Roussel neads to clean his game up.

So far, he's third on the team in penalties drawn per 60 with 1.87, but first by a country mile in penalties taken per 60 at 4.37. For reference, Virtanen is second with 1.94. In fact, Roussel leads the entire Pacific division in penalties taken per 60. Obviously, this can be attributed to his playstyle, but referencing last year, it can be seen that Roussel was much more responsible while still being aggravating and drawing penalties.

Last year with the Stars, Roussel led the team in both penalties taken per 60 and penalties drawn per 60, but his penalties drawn was 1.98 and his penalties taken was at 1.85, netting a positive end result.

The point is, Roussel can play a more responsible style and I expect his numbers will eventually normalize a bit, but I do hope that he's not trying too hard to fit the vision of Vancouver fans instead of just playing his game. I like what he brings to this team and hope he can be our new Maxime Lapierre.

Note: I just realized this excludes tonight's win against Minny, so the stats may be different now.

Also that double minor for high-sticking he got by mistake against Pittsburgh will screw up his stats since he hasn’t played that many games yet. But he still needs to be effective without putting his team in the pk so agree on that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been critical of Roussel, but he seems to have picked up his game recently. Dropping penalties taken per 60 and his penalties drawn per 60 has rocketed up and he's now leading the team in that stat. Still a negative number overall, but noted improvement.

He's also producing a great level of offense for his role.

I can see why fans in Dallas were unhappy about losing Roussel. I like his game. Solid defensively and has the wheels to get up ice. Great physicality. Opposing teams know going in that it is not going to be a fun night. Beagle brings much the same thing.  

• Upvote 1