The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gaunce's FA% 41.65 compared to Schaller's FA% 38.4, meaning Gaunce actually generates more scoring chances (not including blocked shots) than Schaller, which is concerning considering that Schaller had 16% more ozone starts.

22pts to 6 the scoreboard where the numbers actually matter. 

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

6 in 37 games vs 22 in 82 games. Also, Schaller was -5 on the season, so that's what really matters.

12 in 114 and -11 to 41 in 176 and -14. It's not like Gaunce is a defensive juggernaut compared to Schaller and does not put up offense like him at this point either. 

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'm giving you hard facts and stats, you are giving half facts leaving out very crucial information.

You're using analytics to suit your narrative rather than putting the stats and actual play together. Misused advanced stats is not hard facts wadr. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

12 in 114 and -11 to 41 in 176 and -14. It's not like Gaunce is a defensive juggernaut compared to Schaller and does not put up offense like him at this point either. 

I'd love to see what Schaller's plus minus would have been if he played nhl at age 21.

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

6 in 37 games vs 22 in 82 games. Also, Schaller was -5 on the season, so that's what really matters.

I'm not sure how this is a good argument. Gaunce is scoring at a rate of .162 PPG, Schaller is scoring at a rate of .268 PPG, which one do you prefer

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You're using analytics to suit your narrative rather than putting the stats and actual play together. Misused advanced stats is not hard facts wadr. 

? which one's are being misused? offensive zone starts compared to scoring chances that show Schaller had more scoring chances against him than Gaunce did while also showing that it reflected the plus minus accordingly?

Please enlighten me, how would you use those stats differently? Or are you an eye test guy?

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

1 minute ago, Sedinery33 said:

I'm not sure how this is a good argument. Gaunce is scoring at a rate of .162 PPG, Schaller is scoring at a rate of .268 PPG, which one do you prefer

That wasn't my main argument, my main argument was what I have been talking about using advanced stats combined with conventional stats. That was a rebuttal of a very misleading statistic comparing 6 points to 22 points when one player played less than half a season and the other played a full season.

• Thanks 1

? which one's are being misused? offensive zone starts compared to scoring chances that show Schaller had more scoring chances against him than Gaunce did while also showing that it reflected the plus minus accordingly?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.jacketscannon.com/platform/amp/2015/3/9/8174967/hockey-analytics-proceed-with-caution

I dont have the time or care to go over it in detail but this sums it up. You've decided you hate Schaller so you cherry pick stats to suit your narrative. You'll be proven weong at the end of the season however. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.jacketscannon.com/platform/amp/2015/3/9/8174967/hockey-analytics-proceed-with-caution

I dont have the time or care to go over it in detail but this sums it up. You've decided you hate Schaller so you cherry pick stats to suit your narrative. You'll be proven weong at the end of the season however. 

That has nothing to do with anything at all. Feel free to look at stats and give me a real reason for any of your arguments. I owned you with real hard facts and you are now giving me articles from old men saying stats are evil, something every single sport has dis-proven.

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

That wasn't my main argument, my main argument was what I have been talking about using advanced stats combined with conventional stats. That was a rebuttal of a very misleading statistic comparing 6 points to 22 points when one player played less than half a season and the other played a full season.

It's not msleading at all though one scored at a pace of .182 the other .268 you said it yourself we need more scoring ergo the player who scores more wins out which would be Schaller 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

See you omit what doesn'tsuit your narrative, case closed. 

Found this on the bottom of that "informative" article.

Editor's note: A previous version of this article included a line that was offensive to women. We apologize. It was completely unacceptable and won't happen again.

What? You gave me nothing but an article from an angry old man that doesn't like stats. Nothing to do with Schaller, Gaunce or anything.

The article was about using and misusing advanced stats you have misused them to meet your narrative about Schaller which is false. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The article was about using and misusing advanced stats you have misused them to meet your narrative about Schaller which is false. 

How did I misuse them? I think you mean I used them and you don't like them. Regardless, I am happy to talk more about the players but not about whether or not you enjoy stats.

How did I misuse them?

You're taking what you want to see but omitting PK, 5on5, 4on4, hitting, and other intangibles. You need to look at players like Gaunce and Schaller with full Advanced stats AND physically watching their play and put the package together.

You also highlighted Schaller’s plus minus as if it means something +/- is meaningless at best and they're nearly identical as far as Gaunce and Schaller are concerned. Why you think its so much worse on Schaller's end is beyond me. 

how many posters with strong opinions on players, will be willing to come back and make a comment if the players prove them wrong? i know i can eat crow if i'm wrong. anyone else. that's what determines what kind of fan you are. not everyone can be right. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

6 points in 37 games, then injured. Also a 0 +/- on a terrible team.

This isn't about whether Gaunce is a capable (if one dimensional thus far) NHL player. He is.

I like him and I hope he can earn a spot this fall (possibly opposite wing to Schaller in fact). But Schaller's D game is within spitting distance of his and he adds more offense and grit and with 3 and a fraction birthdays not being enough difference to give him much age 'edge' there either. It is what it is. 

Gaunce is going to progressively get squeezed by better players coming up behind him and way better top 6 players pushing others down from the middle 6 in to 'his' spot.

Adapt/improve or die.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1