The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

This isn't about whether Gaunce is a capable (if one dimensional thus far) NHL player. He is.

I like him and I hope he can earn a spot this fall (possibly opposite wing to Schaller in fact). But Schaller's D game is within spitting distance of his and he adds more offense and grit and with 3 and a fraction birthdays not being enough difference to give him much age 'edge' there either. It is what it is. 

Gaunce is going to progressively get squeezed by better players coming up behind him and way better top 6 players pushing others down from the middle 6 in to 'his' spot.

Adapt/improve or die.

I'm not sitting here saying Gaunce doesn't need to improve, what I'm saying is Gaunce is improving. He was injured half last season and people seem to have forgotten, thinking that he just sucked for the last 40+ games but in reality he didn't play them.

I fully expect Gaunce to pick up where he left off prior to injury, which mind you he was playing well prior to his injury and only played a few games at the tail end of the season.

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how many posters with strong opinions on players, will be willing to come back and make a comment if the players prove them wrong? i know i can eat crow if i'm wrong. anyone else. that's what determines what kind of fan you are. not everyone can be right. 

I have eaten my fair share of crow here and if Gaunce can live up to this monsterous potential KoS and where’dluongo seem to think he still has I will gladly eat crow again. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

He’s not, I’m saying some think he is already.  I think he will be just fine.

although he may never be Gaunce......

That would be impossible, unless scientists have some huge breakthroughs in the near future and, along with some intense plastic surgery, you can transform all of your bodily matter into that of a selected human being.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If this was 2012 I might agree with you. This team needs points.

Well using tunnel vision to only focus on points isn't exactly going to help get us points. We need a well rounded team in order to get those points.

Players with points do not exactly help us if they are injured due of the lack of anyone standing up for them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

22pts to 6 the scoreboard where the numbers actually matter. 

Not that I have a problem with Schaller, but I wouldn't go that route unless you have a look at what Schaller was doing when he was Gaunce's age.  I would say Branden is a better player at 23 (last season) than Tim a the same age.  In fact, it wasn't until he was 26yrs that he made the team and wasn't sent down to the AHL after 17 or 18 games.

I still think Gaunce will play the 4th LW while Schaller is rehabbing.  If Brandan has improved his game, it will be an interesting battle to see who wins the role.

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not that I have a problem with Schaller, but I wouldn't go that route unless you have a look at what Schaller was doing when he was Gaunce's age.  I would say Branden is a better player at 23 (last season) than Tim a the same age.  In fact, it wasn't until he was 26yrs that he made the team and wasn't sent down to the AHL after 17 or 18 games.

I still think Gaunce will play the 4th LW while Schaller is rehabbing.  If Brandan has improved his game, it will be an interesting battle to see who wins the role.

Which would just be the worst thing ever according to some. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Each player develops differently as it looks now unless Gaunce improves his numbers Schaller is the better overall player. I'm more than ok with Gaunce turning that around though. 

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Players with points do not exactly help us if they are injured due of the lack of anyone standing up for them.

yah i am sure Schaller is really going to do alot of fighting.... just now coming off Hand Surgery....

PS - and the fact i has 3 fights spread over the last  2 years....

LIke i said earlier...  a guy on my mixed coed bowling team has more fights during bowling games the last 2 years than Schaller has had.....

Figures the Canucks sign the Enforcer.... right after he has hand surgery......  Nothing like looking for  a guy with a healing broken hand to drop the gloves 

• Haha 1

I'm amazed at how much everyone, except me, seems to know about Schaller. I had to look him up when we traded for him. How many Boston games do CDCers watch ? I saw maybe 4, 5 or 6 of their games last year and was way too busy watching our team plus their first line, Chara and McAvoy. Didn't even notice Schaller. I note a handful of numbers before watching a game, but can't remember 18 numbers. I don't do the YouTube thing anymore, as I got burned thinking that Dane Fox was our next 50 goal scorer !

I guess it's like the draft. I know about a dozen players by sight, while others have detailed info on edge work, first strides and quick releases, for many, many players (some that I have not heard of ). Telus is letting me down !

Edited by SingleThorn

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I'm amazed at how much everyone, except me, seems to know about Schaller. I had to look him up when we traded for him. How many Boston games do CDCers watch ? I saw maybe 4, 5 or 6 of their games last year and was way too busy watching our team plus their first line, Chara and McAvoy. Didn't even notice Schaller. I note a handful of numbers before watching a game, but can't remember 18 numbers. I don't do the YouTube thing anymore, as I got burned thinking that Dane Fox was our next 50 goal scorer !

I guess it's like the draft. I know about a dozen players by sight, while others have detailed info on edge work, first strides and quick releases, for many, many players (some that I have not heard of ). Telus is letting me down !

Schaller will do for us what David Price did for the Blue Jays. 

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I had no idea who we was when we signed him, haha. I too had to look him up. But then, I am notorious for only closely following the Canucks. I almost never watch games for other teams unless it's the Stanley Cup Final or something.

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I had no idea who we was when we signed him, haha. I too had to look him up. But then, I am notorious for only closely following the Canucks. I almost never watch games for other teams unless it's the Stanley Cup Final or something.

Boston had a lot of new and effective players in their lineup this year, most of which we only really took notice of in the playoffs alright, when they dispatched the Leafs.

20 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If Gaunce has peaked, I'll post a picture of me eating fruit loops drenched in Varsal.

If he has regressed will you post one of you eating Varsal drenched in fruit loops? :) 

• Upvote 1