The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

He needs to get back to the basics that made him so effective in Boston and in a conference that contained a lot of speed.

He started to look pretty good beside Beagle and Motte, but last game in Nashville was pretty bad.

Keep it simple, be physical and hard to play against.  He was one of Boston's top hitters on the team.  He needs to bring that element back into his own game.  He has registered a few hits per game, but very unnoticably.  He needs to bring more of a presence, and get gritty on those loose pucks.

I still want him around because when we do face heavier teams, its nice to know you have someone who can play that style. 

On 12/16/2018 at 4:32 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

As much as I had high hopes that he would be a shutdown bash and crash type of player, he has shown very little of that. If his game does not pick up by the end of January; he will be gone by the trade deadline if not before IMO.

Agreed.  It's nice to know the Canucks are nearing the stage when players who aren't pulling their weight can be let go/moved without being held hostage by wondering who will take their place or what they will get in return.  Depth and legitimate prospects are becoming more of a reality and allow moves that make room for better options. Finally.

Edited by Borvat

On 12/17/2018 at 6:32 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

As much as I had high hopes that he would be a shutdown bash and crash type of player, he has shown very little of that. If his game does not pick up by the end of January; he will be gone by the trade deadline if not before IMO.

Let's nickname this one, ghost..rumours of his existence were greatly exaggerated!

On 12/16/2018 at 1:32 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

The way I see it, it was still worth a go at least. He looked pretty promising on paper, but not everyone jives well on new teams or sometimes there's fluke seasons (whether in a good way in Boston or a not so good way here).

Here's hoping he picks it up at least before that time.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

He still has zero penalty minutes and zero goals. The two things he was brought here to do (toughness and secondary scoring). If he doesnt get it together soon, I think you have to cut your losses. Archie or Gaunce probably deserves that spot at this point.   

I'd say Gaunce ahead of Archie.  There is MacEwen too.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think they want to slow cook MacEwen, as much as Gaunce probably deserves the call up I kinda want to see Archie in there to provide physicality and protect the young stars. 

Can Archie play top six though?  The best thing about MacEwen is he might be able to actually play with our young stars.  You're right about Gaunce.  He needs to learn to be more of a fighter kind of player.  He's have a long NHL career if he did that. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can Archie play top six though?  The best thing about MacEwen is he might be able to actually play with our young stars.  You're right about Gaunce.  He needs to learn to be more of a fighter kind of player.  He's have a long NHL career if he did that. 

I dont think any of those three players listed should be playing top 6, unless absolutely decimated by injuries.  

With Brandon Sutter returning after the holidays and the increasing likely hood that JB is reluctant on sending Adam Gaudette down to Utica; Tim Schaller may be waived and no one called up from Utica.

The real question mark is Sven Baertschi and whether he will return to the lineup and how that, along with Sutt's return; changes JB's decision's on player movement. If both Sutt's and Baer return, then IMO Schaller gets waived and Gaudette goes to Utica at least till JB moves some bodies at the TDL to make room for him and possibly Juolevi

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

Schaller had that off season hand surgery that must have affected his conditioning and willingness so throw punches.

A conditioning stint in Utica with loads of playing time might restore his confidence and his salary will likely have him clear waivers.

I'm not sure if Schaller would clear waivers but with the progression of Gaudette, Schaller's spot is very much in jeopardy and JB may move him irregardless. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

What was this guy supposed to bring to the team again?

Grit. I watched a bunch of Beantown games last year, the guy looked great in his role. I was stoked the Nucks signed him this offseason... so disappointed in what i have seen of his play this year, its like i'm watching a different player.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not sure if Schaller would clear waivers but with the progression of Gaudette, Schaller's spot is very much in jeopardy and JB may move him irregardless. 

Gaudette only played 6min last night - the 2nd time this week.   He is no longer on a PP unit so that also cuts his ice time back.  Schaller in the pressbox is a better option than Gaudette.  Even if they send Gaudette back they still need to make another move.