The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Neal [5 years x $ 5.75m]

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Interesting........I wonder if the current socio/political climate in the US has anything to do with JT and JN leaving money on the table to come back home?

this is an interesting thought. My father in laws 76 and has a 55 year old GF from L.A. She teaches at at a private school with decent pay and a better cut of kids to rear up. haha. She is working so hard to get a job and work visa in Canada to eventually come here, get her citizenship and escape the weirdest culture on earth. Her words, not mine. 

Future buyout,

flames are doing what jets said they wouldn’t paint themselves into a corner and be forced to make cap trades.

as pointed out 18/23 signed 

34/50 contracts 

and 12 mill  

the key additions in the Hamilton trade not signed  

and next summer some more rfas  are due for raises. Bennet MT. 

Its almost like having cap space hurts GMs. 

12 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

this is an interesting thought. My father in laws 76 and has a 55 year old GF from L.A. She teaches at at a private school with decent pay and a better cut of kids to rear up. haha. She is working so hard to get a job and work visa in Canada to eventually come here, get her citizenship and escape the weirdest culture on earth. Her words, not mine. 

I know I wouldn't want to be living in the US right now

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Per Sportsnet. Neal is turning 31 in September. Decent money but another Eriksson / Lucic / Brouwer contract in my view. 

Going to enjoy watching the Flames struggle with his contract in 3 years :goat:

PLAYER STATISTIC
S
S TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-   POST GP G A TP PIM +/-
2002-03 3.png Whitby Wildcats Minor Midget AAA ETAMMHL 47 18 23 41 47   |         15    
2003-04 3.png Bowmanville Eagles OPJHL 43 28 27 55 54   | Playoffs 15 12 3 15 22  
  6.png Plymouth Whalers OHL 9 2 4 6 0 1 |              
2004-05 6.png Plymouth Whalers OHL 67 18 26 44 32 -5 | Playoffs 4 1 1 2 6 0
  31.png Canada U18 WJC-18 6 1 1 2 6 -1 |              
2005-06 6.png Plymouth Whalers OHL 66 21 37 58 109 1 | Playoffs 13 9 7 16 33 5
2006-07 6.png Plymouth Whalers OHL 45 27 38 65 94 28 | Playoffs 20 13 12 25 54 7
  31.png Canada U20 WJC-20 6 0 0 0 8 0 |              
2007-08 6.png Iowa Stars AHL 62 18 19 37 63 1 |              
2008-09 6.png Dallas Stars NHL 77 24 13 37 51 -11 |              
  3.png Manitoba Moose AHL 5 4 1 5 2 4 |              
  31.png Canada WC 3 1 2 3 2 4 |              
2009-10 6.png Dallas Stars NHL 78 27 28 55 64 -5 |              
2010-11 6.png Dallas Stars NHL 59 21 18 39 60 8 |              
  6.png Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 20 1 5 6 6 -1 | Playoffs 7 1 1 2 6 -1
  31.png Canada WC 6 2 3 5 10 3 |              
2011-12 6.png Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 80 40 41 81 87 6 | Playoffs 5 2 4 6 12 -3
2012-13 6.png Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 40 21 15 36 26 5 | Playoffs 13 6 4 10 8 -3
2013-14 6.png Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 59 27 34 61 55 15 | Playoffs 13 2 2 4 24 2
2014-15 6.png Nashville Predators “A” NHL 67 23 14 37 57 12 | Playoffs 6 4 1 5 8 0
2015-16 6.png Nashville Predators “A” NHL 82 31 27 58 65 27 | Playoffs 14 4 4 8 8 1
2016-17 6.png Nashville Predators “A” NHL 70 23 18 41 35 -10 | Playoffs 22 6 3 9 14 -8
2017-18 6.png Vegas Golden Knights “A” NHL 71 25 19 44 24 -11 | Playoffs 20 6 5 11 12 0

Enjoy the Brouwer and Neal contracts Calgary B)

calgarychoke0mn.jpg

Eriksson couldn’t carry Neal’s sticks.

Buggers. That's a nice singing. He will still be effective for at least four of those years. Find it odd he didn't want to stay in Vegas. I'm guessing they offered similar term and cash. That and not sure where his hopes for are for a cup are at. Flames are decent but not perennial cup contenders. 

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And now it's time to re-examine the Flames' cap situation.  $12.8million available, sitting at 18/23 contracts with the following key RFAs to be signed:

Lindholm

Hanifin

Jankowski

Jankowski will get a raise from his ELC, but the first two will likely take the better part of $10million.  They also need a backup goalie.  The most obvious course of action would be trying to dump the last two years of Brouwer's $4.5mil, unless they plan to move Bennett for nothing but picks and/or prospects but things would still be tight.  Brodie's another possibility, but the expectation is they reunite him with Giordano on the first pairing.  Stone has 2 years left at $3.5mil.

One has to think Bennett gets traded. With this signing there is barely room for him in the top 9. Maybe send him to Montreal to recoup a pick or two.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Buggers. That's a nice singing. He will still be effective for at least four of those years. Find it odd he didn't want to stay on Vegas. In guessing they offered similar term and cash. That and not sure where his hope are for a cup. Flames are decent but not cup contenders. 

Actually on paper they have/had a very good team. It was amazing with that D that they were giving up so many shots against. 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Actually Neal's proven himself to be able to succeed on 3 different teams. And he kickstarted Vegas' last year success quite a bit. I think this is a great signing by the flames to add offense to their already solid lineup. 

I agree. I would not have wanted him here (don't ask me why, I just never took to him - a bit sneaky maybe) though.

Don't let bias get the best of you.  Calgary seriously underachieved last season, and is going out of their way to address that issue.  They are giving Peters all the flexibility to fix that mess, while sending the dressing room a clear message that last year better not happen again.  Neal works in two ways, character, and winning.  He makes every team he's on better, and hopefully by the time the backend of that contract hits, he'll be a nice complimentary bit to a team that is contending.

That d-core alone on paper should be scary, and producing goals at a better rate than last year when they did their best to be a garbage fire. :)

I am no Wullerton fan,(hawk patooie)  errrr Calgary I mean, but I think this was a good pickup and improves their club. The Canucks are doing well, don't get me wrong, but they basically just announced they are going to have a great lotto shot next draft by saying and doing what they did yesterday. I am not against that idea, but its one more year of lowered expectations that will pay off down the road in the post sedin era. Lump into that Arizona having some work to do still and you have a Pacific situation where James Neal and the flames can compete with Edmonton, LA, San Jose and Anaheim and lets be honest: likely the Golden Knights. The Pacific is generally wide open next year and who the top three teams are is still wide open. That could be Calgary in that mix.

I am going to predict the top four will be, in my opinion's order,: San Jose, Edmonton, Vegas, and Calgary. That leaves Anaheim and LA fighting for a chance at a wild card that will likely not happen due to the Central Division's compete level and then Arizona and Vancouver neck and neck for basement in the Pacific. 

I am not all doom and gloom. I think at the deadline all of these teams would have a "shot" at pushing for the playoffs and it will be close! In the end it will come down to each teams preconceived notion about their team this coming year, and I believe the Nucks have already signalled that they will fall short and be in the mix for a top pick next year at the draft. 

29 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

there's no there there

1 minute ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am no Wullerton fan,(hawk patooie)  errrr Calgary I mean, but I think this was a good pickup and improves their club. The Canucks are doing well, don't get me wrong, but they basically just announced they are going to have a great lotto shot next draft by saying and doing what they did yesterday. I am not against that idea, but its one more year of lowered expectations that will pay off down the road in the post sedin era. Lump into that Arizona having some work to do still and you have a Pacific situation where James Neal and the flames can compete with Edmonton, LA, San Jose and Anaheim and lets be honest: likely the Golden Knights. The Pacific is generally wide open next year and who the top three teams are is still wide open. That could be Calgary in that mix.

I am going to predict the top four will be, in my opinion's order,: San Jose, Edmonton, Vegas, and Calgary. That leaves Anaheim and LA fighting for a chance at a wild card that will likely not happen due to the Central Division's compete level and then Arizona and Vancouver neck and neck for basement in the Pacific. 

I am not all doom and gloom. I think at the deadline all of these teams would have a "shot" at pushing for the playoffs and it will be close! In the end it will come down to each teams preconceived notion about their team this coming year, and I believe the Nucks have already signalled that they will fall short and be in the mix for a top pick next year at the draft. 

I'm sorry but I don't see how adding Brodziak makes you a top team.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm sorry but I don't see how adding Brodziak makes you a top team.

LOL yeah cuz people talk about the 4th line center when they think of top teams. I am saying its going to be close in the Pacific and that means having a Connor McDavid, Dr Drai and the Nuge is an edge that most of the pacific can't equate to. IMO SJS will be better though. Vegas I am assuming will be above average, but I don't expect a repeat performance and Frankly Calgary has some nice nice pieces, enough that they will be very much in the mix for a wildcard spot if they don't get third in the PAC.

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And now it's time to re-examine the Flames' cap situation.  $12.8million available, sitting at 18/23 contracts with the following key RFAs to be signed:

Lindholm

Hanifin

Jankowski

Jankowski will get a raise from his ELC, but the first two will likely take the better part of $10million.  They also need a backup goalie.  The most obvious course of action would be trying to dump the last two years of Brouwer's $4.5mil, unless they plan to move Bennett for nothing but picks and/or prospects but things would still be tight.  Brodie's another possibility, but the expectation is they reunite him with Giordano on the first pairing.  Stone has 2 years left at $3.5mil.

I think they should be okay cap-wise. I think Lindholm gets around 3.5-4 million on say a 4 year deal, 2nd line numbers. Hanifin has a lot to prove still, so maybe a 2.5 million 2 year bridge deal. Jankowski won't get a hefty raise, maybe 1.5x2. Kulak at 750k and Hathaway at 850k. Full roster for about 9.5 million giving them 3 million in addition space to work with. Brouwer and Frolik's contracts are up in a couple of years and the cap may go up, so they should be able to cope.

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually on paper they have/had a very good team. It was amazing with that D that they were giving up so many shots against. 

Ya they have a nice roster there. I suspect they will be better next year if their goaltending can hold up. Maybe if one of their young tenders finds his groove and he can be played on his ELC for a few years. Look out. They overplay their old man starter too much. Mike Smith was looking pretty old at the end of last year. 

10 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I see it as the complete opposite

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Interesting........I wonder if the current socio/political climate in the US has anything to do with JT and JN leaving money on the table to come back home?

Really Stawns is Canada any better?

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I see it as the complete opposite

Like what though? It is a bad team that has a McDavid, a Draisatl? ...Nugent-Hopkins...Puljujarvi...Strome...Nurse, Larsson, Klefbom.? Or do you mean just my order in general? I admit I am just purely speculating but what do you see it as?

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

Like what though? It is a bad team that has a McDavid, a Draisatl? ...Nugent-Hopkins...Puljujarvi...Strome...Nurse, Larsson, Klefbom.? Or do you mean just my order in general? I admit I am just purely speculating but what do you see it as?

I predict the Flames kicking Oilers butt. Still don't see a great "team" in Edmonton.

Archived