The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So I came across a story that I wanted to post, but it didn't really belong in any of the current threads and I didn't think it really needed it's own. So I created this thread as a repository for notable world events that don't need an entire thread dedicated to them.

I wanted to start it off with some good news for a change and this is great news coming from Thailand:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/asia/thai-cave-rescue-intl/index.html

I had been following this story for the past week and a bit, and I have to say that as time went on, I was becoming less optimistic. I was very happy to see this headline this morning.

World Cup Football on the TV and good news about another soccer team in the headlines. Pretty good way to start a holiday Monday...:)

So nice to see a positive story that doesn't have a single shred of divisive politics in disguise on that news network.    This was a story of interest that I too was growing increasingly pessimistic as that region is very thick jungle and I could see in my mind's eye the challenge of finding them being beyond difficult.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's another one of those debates that we have here in society: When does trophy hunting become "conservation"?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/american-hunter-defends-black-giraffe-trophy-kill-after-images-posing-with-corpse-spark-outrage/ar-AAzwjPG?li=AAggNb9

A woman who sparked outcry when photographs of her posing with the corpse of 18-year-old giraffe she had shot went viral, has defended her actions and said she was carrying out “conservation”.

Tess Thompson Talley, who lives in Kentucky, posted the images of herself with the animal taken during a hunting trip to South Africa last year.

“Prayers for my once in a lifetime dream hunt came true today,” Ms Talley, 37, wrote. “Spotted this rare black giraffe bull and stalked him for quite awhile. I knew it was the one. He was over 18 years old, 4,000 lbs and was blessed to be able to get 2,000 lbs of meat from him.”

Personally, I doubt this had anything to do with "prayers being answered", or being "blessed", (I don't believe in God, but if I did, I doubt that he'd sanction the killing of one of his creatures, just for the sake of mounting it's head on a wall and I definitely believe he wouldn't help in the effort)

Also, I really have to wonder how the killing of a rare animal can be considered "conservation". I'm sure one of out local hunting aficionados will be along shortly to explain.

And giraffe "meat"? Really? I find that hard to swallow...

BTW: I heard on Cuomo last night that those kids in Thailand are stuck in that cave for a while yet.

The caves are flooded and they have to teach the kids to dive in muddy water where visibility is basically zero. According to a former Navy Seal that CC interviewed, it's extremely dangerous for an experienced diver, let alone a neophyte. Right now there in the process of bringing 4 months worth of food into the cave, while the kids go through the learning process.

What the fox is on that iceberg?

Stranded-Arctic-Fox-Shivering-Alan-Russe

These fishermen were not looking for anything other than crabs when they set sail on Friday, but then they saw a small dark shape on top of an iceberg.

Alan Russell and his crew from Labrador, Newfoundland were roughly 4 miles (7 kilometers) away from shore when they spotted the critter perched atop of the makeshift raft. When they sailed closer, they found that it was a little Arctic fox, soaking wet and shivering from the cold.

Initially, the fishermen tried to pluck the fox from the ice, but it was too skittish to let them get close enough. The team then resorted to breaking the ice pan with their boat and fishing the fox out of the water with a net.

The crew looked after the fox, but it refused to eat anything that they offered it.

WATCHAudacious Arctic Fox Persuades Ice Fisherman to Share His Precious Catch

Russell’s boat eventually stopped for supplies at a nearby harbor where they bought a package of sawdust to help the fox dry off. Not only that, they finally found a treat that appealed to their rescued friend: Vienna sausages.

The crew managed to nurse the fox back to health by keeping it warm and feeding it sausages. By the time it was strong enough to be released back into the wild, it had developed a friendly bond with its human companions. 

Fox-in-Box-Alan-Russell-Facebook.jpg

“He wasn’t aggressive at all,” Russell told CBC’s Labrador Morning. “After a while, when he was coming around, he liked us more, because we were feeding him. And he didn’t mind us after.”

Russell guesses that the critter had been hunting for food on the ice pan when it broke off from the mainland and floated out to sea.

“He probably only had another day or so on the ice floe, or it would have foundered,” he said. “And the way that the wind was, the ice was probably never going to go back into land. He’s a pretty lucky guy.”

Rescued-Arctic-Fox-Alan-Russell-Facebook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-07-03 at 7:41 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

It's another one of those debates that we have here in society: When does trophy hunting become "conservation"?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/american-hunter-defends-black-giraffe-trophy-kill-after-images-posing-with-corpse-spark-outrage/ar-AAzwjPG?li=AAggNb9

Personally, I doubt this had anything to do with "prayers being answered", or being "blessed", (I don't believe in God, but if I did, I doubt that he'd sanction the killing of one of his creatures, just for the sake of mounting it's head on a wall and I definitely believe he wouldn't help in the effort)

Also, I really have to wonder how the killing of a rare animal can be considered "conservation". I'm sure one of out local hunting aficionados will be along shortly to explain.

Horrible.  You have to question the mentality of anyone travelling across the world to kill a beautiful animal.....a rare one at that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

You're probably going to like this one. .........

A Pride of Lions Killed and Ate a Group of Rhino Poachers Who Broke Into a Wildlife Reserve

A group of rhino poachers were eaten by a pride of lions in Kenton-on-the-Sea, according to the owner of the South African wildlife reserve where the incident happened.

The remains of what appears to be three bodies were discovered on the Simbuya Game Reserve along with high power rifles owner Nick Fox said in a statement. Fox said the poachers’ mangled remains are suspected to have been eaten by a pride of six lions who were on the reservation to protect the endangered and highly targeted rhinos who are hunted for their horns.

The poachers entered the reserve with a slew of weapons — including a high-powered rifle with a silencer, an axe, wire cutters and food supplies for a number of days — on the night of July 1 or the early hours of July 2. Fox, who said the reserve has had previous run ins with poachers, said that the supplies found are all the hallmarks of “a gang intent on killing rhino and removing their horns.”

The wildlife reserve’s owners became aware that something was wrong when anti-poaching dogs alerted a handler, who then heard a loud commotion coming from the lions.

Fox said a field guide alerted the Anti-Poaching Unit that there appeared to be human remains and poaching weapons near the lions earlier this week. He then alerted local authorities and the Association of Eastern Cape Game Reserves.

As of Thursday, it is not clear exactly how many poachers were killed, according to Fox, but local police are still investigating.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pride-lions-killed-ate-group-200757005.html

latest?cb=20110521083315

Would love to be in on the animal chat around the drinking hole that day!

go nature go!

• Haha 1

On 2018-07-03 at 7:41 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Tough to read stuff like that. What an asshat. Hopefully nature gets its revenge in the not-too-distant future. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-executes-leader-sarin-attack-aum-shinrikyo-cult-1.4736332

Leaving this here.

I was unaware Japan had the death penalty.

Yeah, saw that this morning.

I'm personally anti Death penalty, but the world is probably better off without these guys. I think I knew that Japan had Capital punishment, it's just that they don't use it often.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

The Thai cave saga is not over yet....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/asia/thai-cave-diver-intl/index.html

Pressure is mounting on Thai authorities to bring forward a rescue plan for 12 boys and their coach trapped deep inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand, after the death of a former navy diver and a drop in oxygen levels underground.

Officials initially thought they could keep the boys and their coach in the cave where they are trapped for up to four months, until waters dropped sufficiently for them to be able to walk out.
But the death of a rescue team member, and the realization that oxygen levels have fallen to potentially dangerous levels, appears to have forced a reassessment of the situation.

Sad news....hopefully they can figure something out soon...

I've antagonized a few of the religious CDCers on these boards over the years....this story is one of the reasons that I do so:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/faith-healer-parents-plead-guilty-in-the-death-of-baby-after-they-chose-prayer-over-medical-help/ar-AAzQ0Ws?li=AAggNb9

The parents of an infant twin girl who died hours after her birth in 2017 pled guilty on Monday.

The couple, Sarah Mitchell, 25, and Travis Lee Mitchell, 22, pled guilty to negligent homicide and criminal mistreatment in the death of their daughter Gennifer Mitchell, according to the Associated Press.

The two are members of the Followers of Christ church, a small religious group that rejects medical care in favor of faith-healing.

Sarah gave birth to another child, Gennifer’s twin, Evelyn, who survived after a deputy medical examiner visiting the home because of the other baby’s death, noticed the still-living twin was also struggling to breathe, the AP reported.

Sarah did not know she was expecting twins or when she was due as she did not have any prenatal care.

The court heard that after being born the child struggled to breathe for a number of hours and members of the church were instructed to pray or lay hands on the dying baby but no one called 911.

• Thanks 1