Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD
 Share

Recommended Posts

As the father of a daughter who loves elephants, (I can't begin to tell you how many times I sat through "Dumbo" with her) this story resonates strongly with me:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/cambodia-seizes-3-tonnes-of-african-ivory/ar-BBR1nuI?li=AAggFp5

Quote

 

Cambodia has seized more than 3.2 tonnes of African ivory hidden in a storage container from Mozambique, a customs official has said. 

The discovery of 1,026 tusks at the Phnom Penh Autonomous Port on Thursday followed a tip off from the US embassy.

The shipment arrived in the country last year and its unknown recipient did not arrive at the port to pick it up.

Demand from China and Vietnam has meant Cambodia has become a key transit point for the illicit wildlife trade.

"The elephant tusks were hidden among marble in a container that was abandoned," Sun Chhay, director of the Customs and Excise Office at the port, told the AFP news agency.

Sun Chhay said he did not know whether the shipment was intended for other countries.

Cambodia has made a number of high-profile busts over the past five years.

The largest before this week took place in 2014, when customs officials seized about three tonnes of ivory hidden in a container of beans at the southwestern port of Sihanoukville.

In April of this year, 3.5 tonnes bound for Cambodia were seized at Maputo Port, Mozambique, reports the Phnom Penh Post.

In July 2017, authorities in Hong Kong said they had seized the world's biggest ever haul of ivory tusks - some 7.2 tonnes.

Wildlife campaigners believe 30,000 African elephants are killed by poachers every year.

The international trade in ivory was banned in 1990.

 

Well done Cambodia. Keep it up!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As the father of a daughter who loves elephants, (I can't begin to tell you how many times I sat through "Dumbo" with her) this story resonates strongly with me:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/cambodia-seizes-3-tonnes-of-african-ivory/ar-BBR1nuI?li=AAggFp5

Well done Cambodia. Keep it up!

Brutal.  As far as I’m concerned countries that endanger wildlife on this scale, and poach, especially species that are at risk of extinction should be shamed on a world scale and some sort of massive fines or trade restrictions should be put in place until it stops.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cannot think of a more perfect choice for this. An Astrophysicist who also happens to be a terrific guitarist:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/music/brian-may-to-release-first-solo-in-20-years/ar-BBRcUKZ?li=AAggSpD

Quote

 

Brian May is to release his first solo single in 20 years - from NASA's Control Centre.

The Queen guitarist is to drop track 'New Horizons', which will feature words spoken by the late physicist Stephen Hawking - who died in March aged 76 - on New Year's Day (01.01.19) in tribute to NASA's New Horizons mission, which is due to complete the most distant ever flyby in space history.

He said: "This project has energised me in a new way.

"For me it's been an exciting challenge to bring two sides of my life together - Astronomy and Music.

"It was Alan Stern, the Project Instigator of this amazing NASA Mission, who threw down the glove last May.

"He asked if I could come up with a theme for Ultima Thule which could be played as the NH probe reached this new destination."

The New Horizons probe is due to fly by the Ultima Thule - a traditional name of distant places beyond the known world - 6.5 billion km from Earth on January 1st, to take a series of pictures and other data.

Brian added: "I was inspired by the idea that this is the furthest that the Hand of Man has ever reached - it will be by far the most distant object we have ever seen at close quarters, through the images which the space craft will beam back to Earth.

"To me it epitomises the human spirit's unceasing desire to understand the Universe we inhabit.

"Everyone who has devoted so much energy to this mission since its launch in January 2006 will be feeling they are actually inside that small but intrepid vehicle - only about the size of a grand piano - as it pulls off another spectacular close encounter.

"And through the vehicle's 'eyes' we will begin to learn, for the very first time, what a Kuiper Belt Object is made of. And pick up precious clues about how our solar system was born."

The song will be Brian's first solo single since 1998's 'Why Don't We Try Again'.

 

The man who wrote (and sang) the song "39", (which is the only rock song I can think of that included a reference to Time Dilation) will be composing and performing a song about Man's deepest exploration of the cosmos. :towel:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, riffraff said:

Brutal.  As far as I’m concerned countries that endanger wildlife on this scale, and poach, especially species that are at risk of extinction should be shamed on a world scale and some sort of massive fines or trade restrictions should be put in place until it stops.

Anyone who wants ivory, should be told to take it from the elephant without the use of weapons.

 

Humans are so pathetic when faced with a physically superior species of animal. It's as if this innate jealousy is ignited coupled with the need to kill.

 

We're the scourge.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone (or someones) in London is making Scrooge and Grinch look like nice guys. They've essentially shut down Gatwick airport by flying drones in the restricted airspace and have been doing so repeatedly, stranding hundreds of passengers:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/londons-gatwick-airport-shut-for-over-17-hours-in-unprecedented-drone-attack/ar-BBReOpb?li=AAggNb9
 

Quote

The United Kingdom's second-biggest airport has been closed on one of the year's busiest days for travel after drone sightings, which police have described as a "deliberate act."

London's Gatwick Airport has been closed since 9 p.m. Wednesday -- bar a brief reprieve of 45 minutes early Thursday -- after drones were spotted near the airfield.

Passengers due to fly on Thursday evening or Friday were being told not to go to the airport without first checking the status of the flight with the appropriate airline.

Police were still on the hunt for the drone operators who have brought the airport to a standstill, causing travel chaos for hundreds of thousands of passengers just days before Christmas.

"Each time we believe we get close to the operator, the drone disappears; when we look to reopen the airfield, the drone reappears," Sussex Police Superintendent Justin Burtenshaw told the UK's Press Association.

The Ministry of Defence said that it had deployed specialist equipment to assist Sussex Police in their efforts.

A drone had been spotted near the runway as recently as midday, airport Chief Operating Officer Chris Woodroofe told journalists. He could not say when the major international airport, located south of London, would reopen.

 

Hopefully they catch these dickwads and they can spend Christmas in jail....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Someone (or someones) in London is making Scrooge and Grinch look like nice guys. They've essentially shut down Gatwick airport by flying drones in the restricted airspace and have been doing so repeatedly, stranding hundreds of passengers:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/londons-gatwick-airport-shut-for-over-17-hours-in-unprecedented-drone-attack/ar-BBReOpb?li=AAggNb9
 

Hopefully they catch these dickwads and they can spend Christmas in jail....

They just need drone-scale anti-air weapons ;)

 

Drop these clowns in the channel and let them swim home.  Temp should be just right.  Jail is too good for them.

 

Don't ask me how sarcastic I am, not really sure.  My flight is late as it is but at least I'm not dealing with crap like that.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good news for a change: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/windsor-girl-receives-new-heart-becomes-an-aunt-and-gets-her-home-back-all-in-one-weekend/ar-BBRfLPB?li=AAggXBV

 

t's a Christmas miracle for a little girl from Windsor — born with a birth defect where the left side of her heart did not form correctly. 

Two days after she blew out her birthday candles, eight-year-old McKayla Warder received a heart transplant after spending more than 480 days on a waiting list.

"It's going to be the best Christmas ever. There's no other gift that we could ever ask for," said her father, Justin Warder.

Her family moved to Toronto when McKayla was placed on the transplant list. During that time, she and her family — parents and two siblings — stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Toronto.

Justin said wherever they went, they had to bring oxygen tanks for McKayla.

"If we go to church, we plan on going for a couple hours. So we bring two tanks, which is good enough for four hours," he said. 

"If somebody wants to do something afterward, we can't just wing it."

He said the family would have to rush home every time they didn't bring enough oxygen during an outing. But with the transplant complete, the eight-year-old will no longer have to be hooked up to oxygen tanks everywhere she goes. 

Not the only Christmas miracle that weekend

On Friday, McKayla's birthday, a string of good news came to Justin.

Back in April, the Warder family's home was severely damaged due to a house fire. And two days before the transplant on Friday, the family was able to repossess their home.

"I was excited because it was my daughter's birthday. I was a little bummed out not to be there, but I was here at the home, and I was excited about getting the home prepared," said Justin.

And then he heard his daughter-in-law was about to give birth to a baby girl.

"I got to hold her that day. It was beautiful."

Justin's granddaughter and McKayla's niece, Eliana, was born in the early hours of Saturday morning.

"I basically had a house, trying to get furniture. And in the same day, having a grandbaby. I thought the weekend couldn't get any greater," he said.

A few hours later on Saturday, Justin received a "very emotional" call from his wife in Toronto.

"She told me the heart came ... I didn't know what to do," said Justin, adding he drove home to pick up some clothes before immediately heading to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto.

The heart transplant started at about 4 a.m. Sunday and ended 4 p.m. the same day.

In the days since the procedure, McKayla's recovery has gone very smoothly, according to her father. He said doctors at Sick Kids Hospital may even discharge her back to Ronald McDonald House as early as Saturday.

"I didn't think she'd be out of sedation for, at least, a couple weeks. She's sitting up. She's drinking water. She's doing all the things she normally did before."

Now, with Christmas just days away, Justin said he's excited to see his daughter's smile as she spends time with the rest of the family at home — and not in the hospital.

"What more could I ask for?"

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt that even Harv or Rod would be this tone deaf:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/edmonton-realtor-dwight-streus-christmas-card-of-duct-taped-wife-daughters-stirs-controversy/ar-BBRcbX6?li=AAggNb9

 

File this under Christmas card ideas that should probably be retired because it's 2018.

Edmonton realtor Dwight Streu has come under fire after sending a corporate holiday card to clients featuring a photo of his wife and three daughters with their mouths duct-taped shut.

Streu stands in the middle holding a "Peace on Earth" sign — presumably a joke that it's hard to get a word in edgewise with so many women around.

image.png.78cbe3891363567ad88b8074aefe1850.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I doubt that even Harv or Rod would be this tone deaf:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/edmonton-realtor-dwight-streus-christmas-card-of-duct-taped-wife-daughters-stirs-controversy/ar-BBRcbX6?li=AAggNb9

 

File this under Christmas card ideas that should probably be retired because it's 2018.

Edmonton realtor Dwight Streu has come under fire after sending a corporate holiday card to clients featuring a photo of his wife and three daughters with their mouths duct-taped shut.

Streu stands in the middle holding a "Peace on Earth" sign — presumably a joke that it's hard to get a word in edgewise with so many women around.

image.png.78cbe3891363567ad88b8074aefe1850.png

We are living in trump time where mysogynist's feel emboldened to display their mysogyny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I doubt that even Harv or Rod would be this tone deaf:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/edmonton-realtor-dwight-streus-christmas-card-of-duct-taped-wife-daughters-stirs-controversy/ar-BBRcbX6?li=AAggNb9

 

File this under Christmas card ideas that should probably be retired because it's 2018.

Edmonton realtor Dwight Streu has come under fire after sending a corporate holiday card to clients featuring a photo of his wife and three daughters with their mouths duct-taped shut.

Streu stands in the middle holding a "Peace on Earth" sign — presumably a joke that it's hard to get a word in edgewise with so many women around.

image.png.78cbe3891363567ad88b8074aefe1850.png

Maybe shouldn't have been a corporate card, but it's not like the women are in chains... they are willing participants in the joke.

 

IMO, some ppl need to lighten up.

 

Are those being triggered by this actual recipients of the card, or are they Huffpost regulars looking for yet something else to bitch about?  If the former, then there's a leg to stand on.  if the latter, then they got nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Maybe shouldn't have been a corporate card, but it's not like the women are in chains... they are willing participants in the joke.

 

IMO, some ppl need to lighten up.

 

Are those being triggered by this actual recipients of the card, or are they Huffpost regulars looking for yet something else to bitch about?  If the former, then there's a leg to stand on.  if the latter, then they got nothing.

TBH, I agree. However, in the #MeToo era, it's pretty tone deaf and I think he probably should have realized that some people were going to be offended.

 

As an example, when was working in the computer business, we were careful to say no to people who wanted to put up posters for anything that could be remotely considered political, or controversial. I had a friend who owned a coffee shop and made the "mistake" of allowing a poster promoting the lift of the moratorium of oil tankers on the North Coast. All it took was the local Green candidate to write a letter to the editor and his business dropped off immediately.

 

The lesson is: If you're in business, it behooves you to be as least controversial as possible.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I agree. However, in the #MeToo era, it's pretty tone deaf and I think he probably should have realized that some people were going to be offended.

 

As an example, when was working in the computer business, we were careful to say no to people who wanted to put up posters for anything that could be remotely considered political, or controversial. I had a friend who owned a coffee shop and made the "mistake" of allowing a poster promoting the lift of the moratorium of oil tankers on the North Coast. All it took was the local Green candidate to write a letter to the editor and his business dropped off immediately.

 

The lesson is: If you're in business, it behooves you to be as least controversial as possible.

Absolutely.  There's a spice company whose owner is extremely vocal about his liberal leanings.  My wife loves their products, but since this guy can't shut up about issues, he doesn't get anywhere near as much of our business anymore.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't want to make a new topic on this and I see no one else has, so I'll post it here instead. But this was sickening and I feel for the family of these girls, this should never happen and it's actually got me enraged with anger so much. I'll admit it wasn't until I saw the actual video of it that got me so angry, the video is really hard to watch, so if you do find it and decide to watch it I strongly recommend if you can't handle graphic footage don't watch it, it's so bad and disgusting you'll never forget what you saw it's that tragic. The world really needs to figure their crap out and do something about this and get ride of this Isis/Islam crap, innocent people shouldn't be dying because of this crap, the world needs to do something ASAP.

 

Family urges public not to watch Scandinavian tourist decapitation video

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/family-urges-public-not-to-watch-scandinavian-tourist-decapitation-video/news-story/cb8d0318432609d83a5da743c025ab27

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Roseanne has finally found an audience that will appreciate her anti-Muslim rhetoric:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/roseanne-barr-to-address-israels-parliament-next-month/ar-BBRoo40?li=AAggFp4

 

Quote

 

Roseanne Barr will address the Israeli Knesset (Parliament) during an upcoming tour of Israel next month, the comedian announced in a press release on Monday. The trip will be sponsored by Barr's friend and spiritual advisor Rabbi Shmuley Boteach and his World Values Network.

"I very much look forward to my trip as a lover of Israel and friend of Rabbi Shmuley and ambassador of the World Values Network," Barr said. "While I intend to further my own knowledge of Jewish and Israeli history, I have important work to do as a voice against the insidious and anti-Semitic BDS movement."

Barr's address to Israel's parliament will take place on Jan. 30.

"We are in an age where Israeli innovation is ascendant and changing the world in areas of medicine, technology, media and the arts," Barr said. "Israel is an oasis of openness, freedom, democracy and tolerance amidst a desert of brutality from an age gone by. I want to shout this from the heights of the Galilee to the halls of the Knesset in Jerusalem, Israel's capital city."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I really don't want to make a new topic on this and I see no one else has, so I'll post it here instead. But this was sickening and I feel for the family of these girls, this should never happen and it's actually got me enraged with anger so much. I'll admit it wasn't until I saw the actual video of it that got me so angry, the video is really hard to watch, so if you do find it and decide to watch it I strongly recommend if you can't handle graphic footage don't watch it, it's so bad and disgusting you'll never forget what you saw it's that tragic. The world really needs to figure their crap out and do something about this and get ride of this Isis/Islam crap, innocent people shouldn't be dying because of this crap, the world needs to do something ASAP.

 

Family urges public not to watch Scandinavian tourist decapitation video

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/family-urges-public-not-to-watch-scandinavian-tourist-decapitation-video/news-story/cb8d0318432609d83a5da743c025ab27

I hate to say it, but I think people need to stop visiting Muslim majority countries. Even moderate states like Jordan and Turkey have their extremists.

 

I really have no idea how important tourist dollars are to countries like Morocco and Tunisia, but perhaps it's time to find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hate to say it, but I think people need to stop visiting Muslim majority countries. Even moderate states like Jordan and Turkey have their extremists.

 

I really have no idea how important tourist dollars are to countries like Morocco and Tunisia, but perhaps it's time to find out.

Sadly this is now true, now I don't think Morocco has ever had an incident like this before, so it's not something that was expected to happen, but going forward like you said it's not worth the risk anymore even if that place has never had an incident like this, because sadly chances are they will, until something is finally done and eliminating this ridiculous group.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...