The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

Saudi Arabia needs to be boycotted and sanctioned, absolutely barbaric place, its disgusting that we support this country in any way.

Secretly recorded footage showing the moment Saudi police storms a girls orphanage in Khamis Mushait to punish striking female employees, who had previously demanded their worker rights & rights within society.

https://twitter.com/Al3wwami/status/1564785237409808387?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1564785237409808387|twgr^40c2e3e04e0f9b81970411efa012bd82bdddce9d|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FAl3wwami2Fstatus2F1564785237409808387widget%3DTweet

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, Playoff Beered said:

Biden administration to ask Congress to approve $1.1B arms sale to Taiwan

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/29/biden-taiwan-arms-sales-congress-00054126

This is going to piss off West Taiwan. Biden is making America great again.

bluedawgs-2-1024x717.jpg

Joe Winfrey?   You get a missile, you get a missile, you get a missile!  He stocked up the Saudis, the Afghans and now the Taiwanese 

We don't have a "Canadian Events" thread, so I guess this is the place for this. A couple of guys in Saskatchewan have gone off the deep end....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-rcmp-dangerous-persons-alert-stabbings-1.6572464

Melfort RCMP have issued a provincewide dangerous persons alert after multiple people were stabbed in the James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon, Sask.

RCMP said in a press conference at 3:40 CT that they found 10 people deceased and at least 15 people have been hospitalized. RCMP said they found 13 incident locations in James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon.

"There maybe additional injured victims who transported themselves to various hospitals," Rhonda Blackmore, commanding officer of the Saskatchewan RCMP, said.

"We are currently actively looking for it, dedicating maximum resources to this."

RCMP said they received a report that the two suspects, identified as Damien Sanderson and Myles Sanderson, may have been travelling in the Arcola Avenue area in Regina. Regina Police said the suspects were seen around 11:20 a.m.

An RCMP alert was first issued at 7:12 a.m. CT Sunday and has since had several updates. RCMP said two male suspects are believed to be in a black Nissan Rogue with Saskatchewan licence plate 119 MPI. As the suspects may have access to a vehicle, the RCMP have expanded the alert provincewide.

With the suspects at large, Blackmore said they had also asked for the alert to be extended to Manitoba and Alberta.

"At this point in time, we have no indication they travelled to another province," she said.

Damien Sanderson is 31 years old, five feet seven inches tall, weighing 155 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

Myles Sanderson is 30 years old, six feet and one inch tall and 240 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Blackmore said at the press conference the relationship between the suspects is presently unclear.

The location and direction of the suspects' travel is unknown, Blackmore said, but everyone in Saskatchewan needs to remain vigilant as this one of the largest and most significant events they have seen in recent years.

"We don't know if they have changed their vehicle," she said. "At this stage in our investigation, we believe some victims have been targeted by the suspect and others have been attacked randomly."

Police are asking Regina residents to take precautions and consider sheltering in place. RCMP said residents should be careful about allowing others into their home and to not leave a secure location.

Residents in the Regina area are also being advised to not approach suspicious persons and to not pick up hitchhikers.

Instead, the RCMP said they should report suspicious persons, emergencies or information to 911. They are also being asked to not share the locations of police.

James Smith Cree Nation state of emergency

In response to the "mass casualties" on James Smith Cree Nation the community, along with the Chakastaypasin Band of the Cree Nation and Peter Chapman Band, declared a state of emergency at noon Sunday

It's set to remain in place until 5 p.m. on Sept 30.

James Smith Cree Nation is located about 25 kilometres northeast of Weldon, and about 60 kilometres southeast of Prince Albert.

Police checkpoints have been set up throughout Saskatchewan, at least from Prince Albert to Regina, with officers checking identification.

STARS response

Three STARS air ambulances were dispatched to James Smith Cree Nation starting at around 6 a.m. CT Sunday.

Mark Oddan, a STARS air ambulance spokesperson, told CBC News said two of those helicopters were sent from Saskatoon and one from Regina. 

The first crew from Saskatoon triaged patients at the scene, and the second aircraft brought a physician to the scene to lead the response.

With the physician included, there were 13 crew in total who attended the scene.

Other ground crews transported patients to Prince Albert, Nipawin and Melfort hospitals, Oddan said in the email.

The three STARS ambulances transported one patient each to the Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon. Two patients were taken from the scene and one was transported from the hospital in Melfort where they had arrived via ground ambulance.

Hospitals call for staff

Anne Lindemann, a spokesperson for the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA), said in an email the health authority activated its emergency response process to answer the "influx of casualties," including calling for additional staff.

The SHA did not specify how many people were injured in the stabbings and did not confirm any deaths at the time, but said multiple people are being triaged and cared for at multiple sites.

"As with any incident with a high number of casualties, our emergency preparedness teams are responding to the evolving needs to ensure patients are triaged and cared for appropriately," it said. 

Prince Albert, Regina Police assist manhunt

The Prince Albert Police Service and Regina Police Service are assisting Saskatchewan RCMP in searching for the two suspects.

In Prince Albert, police said officers are occupying checkpoints across the city.

Residents are being asked to stay at a secure location and to be cautious around letting anyone inside their home. 

Motorists and residents should also expect traffic delays.

In Regina, police are "actively investigating on several fronts to locate and arrest the suspects," the service said in a news release.

"In addition, RPS has deployed additional resources for public safety throughout the city, including the football game at Mosaic Stadium."

The Labour Day Classic CFL football game between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers is scheduled to continue as planned with an increased police presence in the area, including in Mosaic Stadium.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We don't have a "Canadian Events" thread, so I guess this is the place for this. A couple of guys in Saskatchewan have gone off the deep end....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-rcmp-dangerous-persons-alert-stabbings-1.6572464

Jesus,

10 dead... from stabbing and 25 injured. 

Insane numbers for knife attacks. 

Off the deep end is right, what a sad event. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There is no evidence of Hans cheating in any overboard tourney, that I'm aware of- and Chess is a hobby of mine.

Hans has admitted to cheating twice on line, once when he was 12 and again at 16 yrs of age.

At 16 he was living alone in New York and trying to make a living streaming himself playing/teaching/learning chess. He says he cheated in random online games to get a better online rating and be able to play better players. This would bump up his online viewership and revenue stream. Paying the rent.

the guy is now 19, has spent the last 2 years playing over the board everywhere he can, around the world and has seen his FIDE rating go way up, quickly.

The online chess site Hans was at is Chess.com, and after the hint posted by Magnus; suspended Hans' most recent account, that they had previously allowed him to open.

The site has said they've found more evidence of Hans cheating online, but have not said when this 'new ' evidence is from.

Of note Chess.com and Magnus have some sort of financial deal going on/done and a few million dollars are involved.

Magnus did not play well against Hans, either just a bad day or he took Hans lightly- as the kid has the lowest elo at the tourney @ 173 points less. in fact Hans was a late substitute, when someone else caught covid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

There is no evidence of Hans cheating in any overboard tourney, that I'm aware of- and Chess is a hobby of mine.

Hans has admitted to cheating twice on line, once when he was 12 and again at 16 yrs of age.

At 16 he was living alone in New York and trying to make a living streaming himself playing/teaching/learning chess. He says he cheated in random online games to get a better online rating and be able to play better players. This would bump up his online viewership and revenue stream. Paying the rent.

the guy is now 19, has spent the last 2 years playing over the board everywhere he can, around the world and has seen his FIDE rating go way up, quickly.

The online chess site Hans was at is Chess.com, and after the hint posted by Magnus; suspended Hans' most recent account, that they had previously allowed him to open.

The site has said they've found more evidence of Hans cheating online, but have not said when this 'new ' evidence is from.

Of note Chess.com and Magnus have some sort of financial deal going on/done and a few million dollars are involved.

Magnus did not play well against Hans, either just a bad day or he took Hans lightly- as the kid has the lowest elo at the tourney @ 173 points less. in fact Hans was a late substitute, when someone else caught covid

Thanks. I thought of you when I saw a chess story.

I obviously got some humour out of the idea of vibrating anal beads to cheat. That's quite the commitment to winning by any means necessary. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks. I thought of you when I saw a chess story.

I obviously got some humour out of the idea of vibrating anal beads to cheat. That's quite the commitment to winning by any means necessary. 

Some on the chess web are stating, for a fact, that Hans had a chip implanted in his head. The difficulty is because Hans, and the rest of us vaccinated folks are already chipped, there is no way to tell that Hans has an illegal chip. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, gurn said:

Some on the chess web are stating, for a fact, that Hans had a chip implanted in his head. The difficulty is because Hans, and the rest of us vaccinated folks are already chipped, there is no way to tell that Hans has an illegal chip. :lol:

That is an interesting thought though.

Cheating in the future might be impossible to stop. People getting chips is a likely progression for humans. I`m pretty sure I read about the concept in one of Micho Kaku`s books. Future of the Mind I think. 

00aabbFtMx5XY.jpeg.5c72f4a5f0b0180d22f273ab7c44dc8f.jpeg

Depositors hold up two Lebanese banks to grab their own money

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/woman-holds-up-lebanese-bank-13000-her-own-money-advocacy-group-says-2022-09-14/

BEIRUT, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Two seemingly armed and desperate Lebanese depositors held up banks on Wednesday to force access to their own money, which has been blocked during a national financial meltdown.

One woman with a gun and some associates briefly held hostages at a branch of BLOM Bank (BLOM.BY) in the capital Beirut, before leaving with more than $13,000 in cash from her account, a source from a depositors' advocacy group said.

Shortly afterwards, in the mountain city of Aley, an armed man entered a Bankmed branch and retrieved some of his trapped savings, before handing himself into authorities, the Depositors Outcry and a security source said.

Lebanon's banks have locked most depositors out of their savings since an economic crisis took hold three years ago, leaving much of the population unable to pay for basics.

In a phenomenon illustrating the plight, Wednesday's holdups came after a man last month held up another Beirut bank to withdraw funds to treat his sick father. read more

BLOM Bank said a customer and accomplices arrived with a gun, threatened to set people on fire, and forced the branch manager and treasurer to bring money from a safe.

'NOTHING MORE TO LOSE'

Before going into hiding, the woman, Sali Hafiz, told local news channel Al Jadeed TV the gun was a toy and that she needed the money for her sister's cancer treatment.

"I have nothing more to lose, I got to the end of the road," she said, saying a visit to the bank manager two days previously had not provided an adequate solution.

"I got to a point where I was going to sell my kidney so that my sister could receive treatment."

BLOM confirmed the customer had been in to seek her money for her sister's treatment, saying she was offered total cooperation and requested to provide documentation.

"All we have is this money in the bank. My daughter was forced to take this money - it's her right, it's in her account - to treat her sister," her mother Hiam Hafiz told local TV.

Authorities did not immediately comment on the incidents.

Bankmed did not comment on its branch holdup.

Following last month's holdup, which also involved hostages, the accused perpetrator was arrested but then released without charge after the bank dropped its lawsuit.

One senior Lebanese banker, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters it was a worrying precedent,

"I think this is an invitation for other people to do the same. As long as people get away with it, they will continue. What a failed state," the banker said.

Banks say they make exceptions for humanitarian cases including hospital care, but depositors say that rarely happens.

00aabbIzbCNOu.jpeg.eb9df214d00ebd0da80a33fe301d5336.jpeg

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Upvote 1

How many of us would do the same if we were in his position?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/climate/patagonia-climate-philanthropy-chouinard.html?campaign_id=54&emc=edit_clim_20220916&instance_id=72138&nl=climate-forward&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=107262&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

Billionaire No More: Patagonia Founder Gives Away the Company

A half century after founding the outdoor apparel maker Patagonia, Yvon Chouinard, the eccentric rock climber who became a reluctant billionaire with his unconventional spin on capitalism, has given the company away.

Rather than selling the company or taking it public, Mr. Chouinard, his wife and two adult children have transferred their ownership of Patagonia, valued at about $3 billion, to a specially designed trust and a nonprofit organization. They were created to preserve the company’s independence and ensure that all of its profits — some $100 million a year — are used to combat climate change and protect undeveloped land around the globe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The well known Oktoberfest in Munich kicked off today. Truly amazing that hundreds of people lined up in front of the entrance 6 hours ! before the official start of the Oktoberfest to get a seat in one of the tents. Here are two images I would like to share to give you guys a feel for how this looks like.

This guy receives standing ovations from the crowd for drinking a full mug of beer without taking a breath. Well deserved.

Bild

The mayor of Munich has the honor of tapping the wooden barrel of beer in one of the tents to kick - off the Oktoberfest. The barrel is full with "Spaten" beer. Spaten is one of the largest breweries in Munich.

Bild

• Like 2