The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I really don't want to make a new topic on this and I see no one else has, so I'll post it here instead. But this was sickening and I feel for the family of these girls, this should never happen and it's actually got me enraged with anger so much. I'll admit it wasn't until I saw the actual video of it that got me so angry, the video is really hard to watch, so if you do find it and decide to watch it I strongly recommend if you can't handle graphic footage don't watch it, it's so bad and disgusting you'll never forget what you saw it's that tragic. The world really needs to figure their crap out and do something about this and get ride of this Isis/Islam crap, innocent people shouldn't be dying because of this crap, the world needs to do something ASAP.

Family urges public not to watch Scandinavian tourist decapitation video

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/family-urges-public-not-to-watch-scandinavian-tourist-decapitation-video/news-story/cb8d0318432609d83a5da743c025ab27

Effing cowards.  This is revenge for something happening on the other side of the Med.  Presumably nothing to do with either the killers or the girls' families. 

Yeah, that makes sense. 

Sure be nice to gets hands on the a-holes sending these clips and pics to the mothers.  Indefensible BS.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2018 at 3:16 PM, Kragar said:

Effing cowards.  This is revenge for something happening on the other side of the Med.  Presumably nothing to do with either the killers or the girls' families. 

Yeah, that makes sense. 

Sure be nice to gets hands on the a-holes sending these clips and pics to the mothers.  Indefensible BS.

I really don't know what the exact motive is, but from what I quickly read was these cowards had just pledged their allegiance to Isis, and did this to show the group they're with them, or something stupid like that. 

It's just so sad that these incident girls had to have their lives taken like this, it's just wrong. I've been thinking about this since I found out and tbh I really don't know when I will stop thinking about it, it's honestly hit me pretty hard. I'll never forget what I saw in that video ever, but I swear if something like this was to ever happened to one of my immediate family which I hope to god never ever happens, I would be a complete wreck. I probably would end up going there myself and taking the lives of the ones who did this, or at least try even if it meant my own life being lost because of it, as long as the ones who did it weren't alive anymore I could RIP, because anyone who does something like this to an innocent human being doesn't deserve to live anymore imo.

Yet another child in America pays the price for "freedom":

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-boy-11-charged-in-shooting-death-of-friend-14-police-say

An 11-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of his 14-year-old friend, authorities said.

The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that the boy was arrested Wednesday. Deputies said Jadon Vaughn, 14, was visiting the Lake City, Florida, home of the 11-year-old boy and his 13-year-old brother Wednesday.

The boys were left alone in the home when the brothers' parents went out for the night. The children are understood to have wrestled, at which point the 11-year-old retrieved a pistol from his parents’ room, investigators said. The boy removed the magazine but left a single round chambered. The gun discharged when the boy pointed it at Vaughn, killing him, officials said.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

but I swear if something like this was to ever happened to one of my immediate family which I hope to god never ever happens, I would be a complete wreck. I probably would end up going there myself and taking the lives of the ones who did this, or at least try even if it meant my own life being lost

I have read that many of the people who are described as terrorists joined groups like ISIS because of reasons like this.

3-4 years ago air force personnel wrote a letter to Obama stating that targeted drone strikes were a recruiting tool for ISIS.

Revenge.....

The circle of hatred continues unless we react

Zack de la Roche

Edited by Ilunga

I don't really believe in miracles, but this is a pretty great story to start off he new year with:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/russian-baby-rescued-after-nearly-36-hours-in-frozen-rubble/ar-BBRFLWw?li=AAggFp5

MOSCOW - Labouring through sub-freezing temperatures, Russian rescue workers were digging into a sprawling heap of jagged rubble from a collapsed apartment building when one heard the faintest sound.

It was the sound of life.

On Tuesday, to everyone's delight and surprise, they pulled a baby boy out of the rubble alive, nearly 36 hours after the disaster that blew apart his home. His father called it "a New Year's miracle."

The building collapse in the Russian city of Magnitogorsk before dawn Monday has killed at least nine people so far, and more than 30 people who lived in the building have still not been accounted for.

The collapse followed an explosion that was believed to have been caused by a gas leak.

The boy, an 11-month-old named Ivan Fokin, was in extremely serious condition, officials said, with fractures, a head injury and suffering from hypothermia after his ordeal in temperatures around minus 20 degrees Celsius (minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit).

He was flown to Moscow late Tuesday in a desperate attempt to save his life.

Although Ivan's prospects for survival appeared dire, "it's a New Year's miracle," his father Yevgeny was quoted as saying by the RT satellite TV channel.

The father was at work when his wife phoned to say the building had collapsed. She escaped the rubble with a 3-year-old son, Russian news reports said.

"I was sleeping on the couch with my older son, hugging him and the young one was sleeping in his baby bed," mother Olga Fokina said on Russian TV. "I and the older one fell down and quickly got out and I didn't know what happened to the baby bed afterward."

Rescue worker Pyotr Gritsenko said on Russian television that baby's discovery came after one of the crew heard faint cries.

"They stopped all the equipment. He began to cry louder," but the crew couldn't find him, he said. A search dog was brought in and confirmed that someone was under the rubble, focusing the rescue effort.

The father said he helped rescuers dig in the rubble and "showed them a place where he approximately could be."

Regional governor Boris Dubrovsky was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency that the child apparently had been protected by being in a crib and being wrapped warmly.

The rescue operation, aided by powerful heaters and lights, was continuing overnight into Wednesday in the city about 1,400 kilometres (870 miles) southeast of Moscow.

Really hoping the little guy pulls through....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is just......I can't even....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/babysitter-dressed-dead-infant-gave-him-back-to-his-mother-and-went-swimming-police-say/ar-BBRS0mh?li=AAggFp5

A Wisconsin babysitter charged with killing a 2-month-old boy in her care tried to hide the infant's death from his mother and then went swimming at a Wausau hotel with her boyfriend and son, police say.

She dressed the baby in winter clothes and strapped him in a car seat, pretending he was alive during a trip to McDonald's and continuing the ruse when she gave the boy back to his mom, court documents said.

Marissa Tietsort — 28, of Wausau — was charged Friday with first-degree intentional homicide in the baby's death.

:( and :mad:....but mostly :(

Some good news for a change:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/us/jayme-closs-found-timeline/index.html

After 87 days of questions, numerous searches and thousands of tips, missing 13-year-old Jayme Closs has been found alive. Jayme vanished on October 15, the same day her parents were found fatally shot in their northwestern Wisconsin home.

Here's a timeline of her disappearance:

Another story with a happy ending. Maybe 2019 will be better?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rescuer-of-11-year-old-found-facedown-in-snow-was-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time/ar-BBS9Og2?li=AAggNb9

He wasn't on duty on Thursday, but when a Foam Lake volunteer firefighter heard about a missing 11-year-old girl, he knew he had to do something to help with the search.

"I was at a work and I'd seen cop cars taking off from different directions from town here at Foam Lake," said Cole Maksymytz, recalling the scene when police received word at about 5 p.m. that the girl had wandered away from her Bankend home. The tiny hamlet is located about 200 kilometres southeast of Saskatoon.

He followed the police and talked with officers, who explained to him that a 11-year-old girl had been at home sick, and wandered away from the house while her mother was away, some time between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.. The mother had seen tracks heading west from the house, but couldn't find her daughter nearby, recalled Maksymytz.

"I was thinking Jesus, if it was one of my kids, I'd want somebody, I'd want everybody that could help out there helping," said Maksymytz, who has four children of his own.

Officials told him they had crews on the search and didn't need extra help, but Makysmytz kept his eyes peeled as he drove toward home with two of his children with him in his truck.

"Driving down the back road, I noticed on the field, a trail. At first, I thought maybe it was a deer or a moose or something," he said, explaining a closer look revealed footprints.

"'Well, this could be her,'" he recalled thinking. "It had to have been, because the footprint was so small."

Maksymytz followed the trail in his truck, until his kids piped in to say they saw something black up ahead.  

"So we drove up there and there she was, laying face-first in the snow," he said, adding his thoughts immediately went to whether she was alive.

At this point, it was 7:40 p.m. in the evening, and the girl had walked nearly six and a half kilometres from her home, he said.

Relief filled him when he checked and found the girl still breathing, with Maksymytz quickly carrying her to his truck.

"It happened that my daughter knew this girl because she goes to school with her," he said, adding his six-year-old daughter was able to tell him the girl's name as they drove her back to the police and the ambulance.

On Friday, he learned the girl was recovering well, after receiving treatment for hypothermia and injuries related to exposure.

It reminded him of why he wanted to be a volunteer firefighter in the first place, to help people.

"I'm happy I did something to save someone's life," he said. "It just so happened that I was in the right place at the right time."

Maksymytz also serves in the Wishart fire department. His fire chief there, Darrell Bzedl, was among the locals giving credit to the volunteer for his actions. 

"He went above and beyond to do what he did," said Bzedl, adding, "We have a good ending thanks to it."

Add Burkina Faso to the growing list of places that it isn't safe to travel:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/canadian-kidnapped-in-burkina-faso-found-dead-security-ministry/ar-BBSmUSr?li=AAqARMz

OUAGADOUGOU (Reuters) - A Canadian kidnapped in Burkina Faso on Tuesday has been found dead, a spokesman for the security ministry told Reuters on Thursday.

The man was abducted after nightfall by a dozen gunmen on a mining site owned by Vancouver-based Progress Minerals near the border with Niger, in an area that the government says is under growing threat from armed jihadists.

Pretty much the entire continent is no longer safe for western travelers, which is unfortunate, since Cape Town is one of the top cities in the world to visit. 

I've noticed in other threads that there are some folks who believe that systemic racism is a thing of the past. This article shows otherwise. (In spoilers due to length and some NSFW racial slur quotes):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/us/gm-toledo-racism-lawsuit/index.html

Spoiler

Toledo, Ohio (CNN)It took 14 months for the noose to show up.

Fourteen months where Marcus Boyd says he endured racist comments, slights, even threats in a hostile workplace run by General Motors.
A workplace where people declared bathrooms were for "whites only," where black supervisors were denounced as "boy" and ignored by their subordinates, where black employees were called "monkey," or told to "go back to Africa."
A workplace where black employees were warned a white colleague's "daddy" was in the Ku Klux Klan. Where white workers wore shirts with Nazi symbols underneath their coveralls.
In Ohio.
In 2018.
All those allegations are detailed in a lawsuit filed against GM in which eight workers say managers at the Toledo Powertrain plant did little or nothing to stop racism.
For Boyd, it began on his first day. He said he could feel the glare from white team members as if they were saying, "Who's he to be in charge of them?"
All the other supervisors, who were white, received training before their jobs, Boyd said. Boyd, an experienced supervisor albeit in a different industry, was given a clipboard and told to start.
But if he wondered if he was making too much of that, the situation crystallized when some of his juniors ignored him, refused to follow his directions and called him the N-word, though he could never see exactly who said it.
When he reported the insubordination to upper management, he said he was told to deal with it himself, to counsel his workers who'd used the slur.
The message he said he took from his leaders at the plant: Be happy you're here. Deal with it.
But it got harder each day to ignore, he told CNN in an interview.
A white employee Boyd oversaw told him: "Back in the day, you would have been buried with a shovel."
In his role as supervisor, Boyd reported that, too. The worker was taken to a disciplinary hearing with a union official and business leader where he freely admitted what he had said, Boyd recalled. But then Boyd himself was pulled aside and advised to let the matter go if he wanted to get along at the plant, he said. No disciplinary action was taken, Boyd said.
Boyd and other workers of color learned there was a coded language to talk about them, according to the lawsuit. White employees kept calling them "Dan." They thought some people didn't respect them enough to learn their names. But other colleagues told them it was a slur, an acronym for "dumb ass nigger."
The N-word was a regular part of life at Toledo Powertrain, where components are made for various Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles, Boyd said. A white woman seen walking with him later found "Nigger lover" written on her pizza box.
When Boyd and others reported the abuse, their leadership told them to handle it themselves, he said.
Even more violent situations were brushed away. Boyd said he feared for his life when a member of his team, irate about a vacation request, yelled and raised a heavy, metal clutch assembly as if he was going hit him.
Boyd said he reported it. This time the offender was punished by losing one day's salary. "One day!" Boyd repeated, frustrated. For what felt like a direct threat to his life. One swing with that clutch could have been deadly, Boyd said. He said he believes there's a simple reason why.
"You have management people in high places, and union officials in high places, that work together to protect people ... that are white," Boyd said.
It got to the point where Boyd began asking God to protect him.
"I used to have to pray. Literally, 'Lord protect me,'" Boyd said.
"It was like being at war," he added.
He said he and another black supervisor, Derrick Brooks, who was a former Marine, treated their workplace almost like it was a battlefield. When they saw each other or checked in by phone, as they did every day, they would let the other know, "I got your six," the term soldiers use to say they have your back.
It was the kind of reassurance they felt they were not getting from GM management.
And then Brooks found a noose hanging in the area where he worked. As the only black employee in that space on his shift, he believed it was aimed to intimidate him.
It was a breaking point, the beginning of the end of his career -- and that of Boyd -- at GM. Not just because the noose had been hung. But because of how GM allegedly reacted.
That first noose, and then a second, then third, fourth and fifth were all reported to GM, according to the lawsuit Boyd and eight other black employees have filed against the company for allowing an "underlying atmosphere of violent racial hate and bullying."
GM rejects that characterization.
The company declined to be interviewed but provided a statement that it held mandatory meetings and closed the plant for a day to have training for every shift.
"Every day, everyone at General Motors is expected to uphold a set of values that are integral to the fabric of our culture," GM said in the statement. "Discrimination and harassment are not acceptable and [are] in stark contrast to how we expect people to show up at work."
It continued: "We treat any reported incident with sensitivity and urgency, and are committed to providing an environment that is safe, open and inclusive. General Motors is taking this matter seriously and addressing it through the appropriate court process."
Boyd, Brooks and other black workers said initial meetings after the noose focused on violence, but not racial discrimination or intimidation.
GM, which declined to answer questions on the record after supplying the statement, placed an article about harassment in the employee magazine. The company replaced all ropes in the plant with yellow chains in an effort to stem the noose incidents.
But Boyd, Brooks and other black workers say that just removed an object, not the hatred.
The union at the plant also disagreed that any practices were discriminatory.
Dennis Earl, who was elected UAW local president in 2017, said: "Union people protect employees no matter what race, ethnicity."
Of Boyd's allegations, he said: "Punishments were equal across the board. If he feels management was being more lenient -- I don't see that. I've never seen that. It's pretty colorblind, if you ask me."
Earl, who is white, has worked for the plant for 34 years. He told CNN there could be "bad actors" like there can be anywhere, but there was no widespread intentional racism.
"Do I believe people are a little too sensitive these days? Absolutely," he said. "What passed 20 years ago doesn't pass today."
"You can't say the things you used to say off the cuff. It doesn't excuse it, but it's not racially motivated statements," he added.
"It's just bad judgment."
Brooks and Boyd both wanted to keep their supervisor jobs. They had worked hard to get these jobs, very good jobs with a six-figure salary, far higher than most in Toledo.
Brooks used his salary for his eight children and Boyd takes care of his mother, a double amputee.
Both felt they had an extra requirement to draw their paycheck, beyond the work they did -- be grateful, do not complain. "There's unwritten rules with regards to manufacturing plants and when it comes to management," Brooks said. "When it comes to us being black supervisors, you need to be more appreciative of the job title that you have and go along and do the job that we're asking you."
But the noose felt like a direct threat.
"How rough and tough can you be when you got 11 to 12 people who want to put a noose around your neck and hang you 'til you're dead?" Brooks asked.
As with Boyd's experiences, Brooks was told to investigate the incident himself, he said. One person told him in a blatant lie: "That's not a noose used for hanging, it's a noose maintenance operators use to tie off a line."
Brooks shook his head as he recalled the scene. "Being in the military I know plenty about knots," he said, "and I know there is no reason whatsoever to tie a knot like that other than to use it for hanging a person."
For Boyd, the noose was a threat filled with deeply racist roots, capping the fear he felt each of the previous shifts over 14 months in a workplace where he says racism was often ignored and allowed to thrive. "A noose just represented everything that happened to me every day before that."
And then two colleagues said they had heard alarming rumors and advised Boyd to get a gun, he said.
"There were eight white males that was supposedly plotting to sabotage and to follow me out," Boyd said.
It got to the point he was terrified. He feared that he'd be on the news after being found dead after an incident at the plant.
His mother urged him to quit the job, however much it paid. He left. So did Brooks.
It wasn't just Boyd and Brooks complaining. Another employee made a police report about the nooses and conversations about guns being brought to work. Others filed complaints with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
The commission, which enforces state laws against discrimination, announced the findings of a nine-month investigation last March: GM did allow a racially hostile environment.
Darlene Sweeney-Newbern, the commission's director of regional operations, said racist behavior was so prevalent at Toledo Powertrain that she'd rank it among the worst cases her team has seen. Incidents continued while the commission was investigating, according to Sweeney-Newbern.
And she rejected GM's defense that it had taken appropriate action.
"GM did not deny that these things were taking place. They simply said, 'Hey as soon as we heard of these things we moved in and we took action.' That is not what we found in the investigation," she said.
One example came from a former union president's testimony, Sweeney-Newbern said, that at a meeting to address the placing of nooses a white supervisor bemoaned that "too big of a deal" was being made.
That supervisor went on to say, "There was never a black person who was lynched that didn't deserve it."
"That shows part of the culture problem at the plant," Sweeney-Newbern said.
"This is the individual that's going to go back and explain how wrong it is to the staff?" she exclaimed.
With no hope of change at the plant, Brooks took another job that paid a lot less. He is working on his Ph.D. Boyd is back in school with plans to go into a different industry.
Both say they can't believe that in this day and age they experienced the racism they did at work for one of the United States' oldest and most storied companies, still a key part of the economy at No. 10 on the Fortune 500 list.
And they hear it's continuing at the plant, which is why, they said, as part of their lawsuit they want the court to dictate procedures and policies to address incidents of harassment, as well as compensation for their suffering.
"There hasn't been anything put in place with regards to trying to deal with the issue," Brooks said. "They are not doing anything with regards to really getting into the crux of what the issue is."
GM has not identified who was responsible for hanging the nooses so no one has been fired for those incidents. However, a GM representative said there have been some people dismissed in Toledo during the entire process of extensive anti-discrimination, anti-harassment work, which is continuing across its plants with cooperation from the union.
Lawyers for the men suing GM say there continue to be hateful and racist remarks at the plant to this day, which they plan to include in the lawsuit.
On Wednesday, lawyers showed photos including one showing a message scrawled on a cart on the plant floor that says: "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."
GM said it is aware of the incidents and has retained a handwriting expert to analyze the graffiti, noting that the police are involved.

The article is in it's entirety, but there are several photos that are not shown. I recommend clicking the link to see the complete picture.

Bear in mind that this isn't Alabama or Mississippi....it's Ohio. There is obviously a long way to go...

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've noticed in other threads that there are some folks who believe that systemic racism is a thing of the past. This article shows otherwise. (In spoilers due to length and some NSFW racial slur quotes):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/us/gm-toledo-racism-lawsuit/index.html

The article is in it's entirety, but there are several photos that are not shown. I recommend clicking the link to see the complete picture.

Bear in mind that this isn't Alabama or Mississippi....it's Ohio. There is obviously a long way to go...

:sadno: so insane, especially being so recent.  I could imagine something like this at some small company (can't fix stupid), but how something so big like a GM plant is involved and management ignoring it is unbelievable.  

42 minutes ago, Kragar said:

:sadno: so insane, especially being so recent.  I could imagine something like this at some small company (can't fix stupid), but how something so big like a GM plant is involved and management ignoring it is unbelievable.  

I was shocked when I read about it. For sure, there are always going to be one or two racists in among hundreds of employees, but this particular place seemed to be full of them, top to bottom.

As I said earlier, it's the kind of thing you would have thought had disappeared in the 70s and if it hadn't, you would have expected to see in Tupelo, not Toledo....

Yet another kid is killed by a trigger happy cop:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/tempe-police-shooting/index.html

A 14-year-old boy holding a replica gun was shot and killed Tuesday by a police officer as he ran down an alley in Tempe, Arizona, authorities said.

The Tempe Police Department on Friday released body-camera footage of the incident involving the teen, identified as Antonio Arce by the city's mayor.
The officer, identified by Tempe police as Joseph Jaen, was responding to a call from a citizen who reported a suspicious vehicle. In the alley, he approached a parked gray Chevy pickup that was apparently involved in a burglary, Tempe Police Chief Sylvia Moir said during a news conference.
The video shows the officer taking cover behind a trash can while the teen exits the truck. The officer is heard calling for the teen to put his hands up as the boy runs away.
"He's got a handgun," Jaen is heard saying on the footage.
The video shows the teen run almost to the end of the alley, then the officer fires two shots.
One of the shots struck the teen in the shoulder blade and the other hit a wall at the end of the alley, Moir said. Authorities did not give a cause of death.
Hours after Tuesday's shooting -- and days before the video was released -- a Tempe police spokesman told CNN affiliate KNXV that the teen turned and faced the officer.
"The suspect turned toward the officer, at which time the officer perceived a threat and fired his service weapon," Sgt. Ron Elcock said.
A police statement Wednesday states, "During the case, the officer perceived a threat and fired his service weapon, striking the suspect." It adds that officers performed CPR at the scene and "immediately called for paramedics."
However, the body-camera video only shows the teen running away from the officer and does not appear to show him turn.

I watched the video (click on the KNXV link) and at no point does the kid turn and face the officer. He was shot in the back while running away.

I'm not holding out much hope that justice will be done in this case, not in the least part due to the fact that this occurred in Arizona, a state that embraced a racist POS like Joe Arpaio. (I'm expecting the requisite "the kid was no saint" argument that we always see in such cases) 
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So teens can rob us with toy guns, but the real criminals are the cops?

Get some new material. 

The guys who shoot kids in the back? Yes.

Take your own advice. No one here is impressed by your tough guy act.

• Upvote 4

:sadno:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/spanish-rescuers-find-body-of-toddler-trapped-in-well/ar-BBSKuuz?li=AAggFp4

TOTALAN, Spain, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Spanish rescuers on Saturday found the dead body of a two-year-old boy who had fallen into a deep narrow well in southern Spain on Jan. 13, a Spanish official said.

Miners had been drilling day and night to reach the boy, Julen, into the borehole - 100 meters (300 feet) deep and just 25 cm (10 inches) wide - which was blocked with soil. "At 1:25 a.m. (0025 GMT), the rescue teams reached the area of the well where they were looking for Julen and they found the lifeless body of the little one," said a government spokesperson in Malaga.

There had been no signs of life since the boy had fallen into the borehole as his family was walking through a private estate in Totalan in southern Spain. Rescuers found the well was blocked with soil, raising fears the well had collapsed on top the child

These kind of stories are like a punch in the gut. I can't help thinking of how the poor little guy spent his last hours of life....:(

• Upvote 1

Today Chicago is most likely to experience the coldest day in its entire history of recorded temperatures. 

Currently a -28 (temperatures in celcius) standing temperature with a wind chill of -36.  And only getting colder.  Yikes!  

Even the dog refuses to go outside.