Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD
 Share

Recommended Posts

One can always hope:

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/russia-putin-opposition.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20221121&instance_id=78158&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=113819&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

 

What Will Russia Without Putin Look Like? Maybe This.

 

Russia’s current condition — militarized, isolated, corrupt, dominated by the security services and hemorrhaging talent as hundreds of thousands flee abroad to escape service in a horrific war — is bleak.

 

In hopes of an end to this grim reality, some wait expectantly for Vladimir Putin to leave office. To change the country, however, it is not enough for Mr. Putin to die or step down. Russia’s future leaders must dismantle and transform the structures over which he has presided for more than two decades. The challenge, to say the least, is daunting. But a group of politicians is devising a plan to meet it.

 

Composed of well-known opposition figures as well as younger representatives from local and regional governments, the First Congress of People’s Deputies of Russia met in Poland in early November. The location, Jablonna Palace outside Warsaw, was symbolic: It was the site of early negotiations in the round-table talks that led to the end of Communist rule in Poland. There, over three days of intense debate, participants laid out proposals for rebuilding their country. Taken together, they amount to a serious effort to imagine Russia without Mr. Putin.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

One can always hope:

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/russia-putin-opposition.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20221121&instance_id=78158&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=113819&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

 

What Will Russia Without Putin Look Like? Maybe This.

 

Russia’s current condition — militarized, isolated, corrupt, dominated by the security services and hemorrhaging talent as hundreds of thousands flee abroad to escape service in a horrific war — is bleak.

 

In hopes of an end to this grim reality, some wait expectantly for Vladimir Putin to leave office. To change the country, however, it is not enough for Mr. Putin to die or step down. Russia’s future leaders must dismantle and transform the structures over which he has presided for more than two decades. The challenge, to say the least, is daunting. But a group of politicians is devising a plan to meet it.

 

Composed of well-known opposition figures as well as younger representatives from local and regional governments, the First Congress of People’s Deputies of Russia met in Poland in early November. The location, Jablonna Palace outside Warsaw, was symbolic: It was the site of early negotiations in the round-table talks that led to the end of Communist rule in Poland. There, over three days of intense debate, participants laid out proposals for rebuilding their country. Taken together, they amount to a serious effort to imagine Russia without Mr. Putin.

Well good luck to them on that. IMHO the problem is not just Putin. He is simply the head of a very corrupt communist system that has stayed in power for +100 years by exploiting their own countrymen. The top down exploitation has been ingrained into the Russian persona. I honestly think there are lots of Putins scheming their ascendency to power. Real change likely won't happen without a civil war and a period of anarchy. The scary part is who will control the Russian nukes?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 7:30 AM, Boudrias said:

Well good luck to them on that. IMHO the problem is not just Putin. He is simply the head of a very corrupt communist system that has stayed in power for +100 years by exploiting their own countrymen. The top down exploitation has been ingrained into the Russian persona. I honestly think there are lots of Putins scheming their ascendency to power. Real change likely won't happen without a civil war and a period of anarchy. The scary part is who will control the Russian nukes?  

You're kidding right ?

 

Russia has not been a communist society for over 30 years.

 

It was a very flawed democracy under Yeltsin, though compared to the current democratic system in the US very similar.

 

Under Putin it has been and is now a Kleptocracy. 

 

What do you call the very corrupt American capitalists that have exploited Americans, a system where 68 percent of the wealth is held by the top 10 percent of earners and 

3.2 percent of the wealth is held by the bottom 50 percent. 

 

What do you call that system ?

 

A very corrupt capitalist system ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lets go skiing they said....It'll be fun, they said....

 

 

Its amazing these don't have emergency power shutoff on them to stop issues like this.  Not the first time I have seen videos of these malfunctioning.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You're kidding right ?

 

Russia has not been a communist society for over 30 years.

 

It was a very flawed democracy under Yeltsin, though compared to the current democratic system in the US very similar.

 

Under Putin it has been and is now a Kleptocracy. 

 

What do you call the very corrupt American capitalists that have exploited Americans, a system where 68 percent of the wealth is held by the top 10 percent of earners and 

3.2 percent of the wealth is held by the bottom 50 percent. 

 

What do you call that system ?

 

A very corrupt capitalist system ?

Being an apologist for communist like Putin must have perks. If you can't defend Putin up front then simply rebrand him into something else. Yes, the evil capitalist who have exploited Americans for centuries. The same American capitalist society that has welcomed millions of immigrants each year for hundred's of years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You're kidding right ?

 

Russia has not been a communist society for over 30 years.

 

It was a very flawed democracy under Yeltsin, though compared to the current democratic system in the US very similar.

 

Under Putin it has been and is now a Kleptocracy. 

 

What do you call the very corrupt American capitalists that have exploited Americans, a system where 68 percent of the wealth is held by the top 10 percent of earners and 

3.2 percent of the wealth is held by the bottom 50 percent. 

 

What do you call that system ?

 

A very corrupt capitalist system ?

I don’t think Russia under Yeltsin was flawed democracy.

Yeltsin sent special forces and tank division to storm their White House in 1993.

 

When parliament voted to impeach Yeltsin and thousands of Russians protested against his economic reforms

His response was full on military assault that according to NGO sources killed as many as 2000 people.

 

 

 

Edited by CBH1926
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Being an apologist for communist like Putin must have perks. If you can't defend Putin up front then simply rebrand him into something else. Yes, the evil capitalist who have exploited Americans for centuries. The same American capitalist society that has welcomed millions of immigrants each year for hundred's of years. 

Are you suggesting I am defending Putin ?

 

Well then just so we are clear he is a despotic leader who has ripped off his people and started an unjust war that has caused harm to millions.

The world would be a better place with our him. 

 

However that does not mean Russia is a communist society, it is not.

It is a Kleptocracy. 

 

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/articles/the-rise-of-kleptocracy-power-and-plunder-in-putins-russia/ 

 

As I have suggested to you before read the communist manifesto and you will realise that there has never been a truly communist society, one that lived up to Marx's ideals, on this planet. 

 

And as for those American immigrants, they are the people who massacred millions of the original inhabitants of that land. 

 

You seem to be under the illusion that getting screwed in Russia is a lot different to getting screwed in America.

The end result is much the same. 

Especially if you are black.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t think Russia under Yeltsin was flawed democracy.

Yeltsin sent special forces and tank division to storm their White House in 1993.

 

When parliament voted to impeach Yeltsin and thousands of Russians protested against his economic reforms

His response was full on military assault that according to NGO sources killed as many as 2000 people.

 

 

 

 

Yeltsin was flawed like his version of democracy, however as most pundits agree it was a form of democracy, especially when you compare to what preceded it.

 

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-yeltsin-the-flawed-hero-who-gave-democracy-to-russia/

 

As for sending in the troops, remember the Kent State Massacre ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

 

Yeltsin was flawed like his version of democracy, however as most pundits agree it was a form of democracy, especially when you compare to what preceded it.

 

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-yeltsin-the-flawed-hero-who-gave-democracy-to-russia/

 

As for sending in the troops, remember the Kent State Massacre ?

Probably the closest Russia has ever been to a democracy in 1000 years.

Kent state was a terrible crime but tanks firing into a building full of people and killing hundreds (according Yeltsin sources) was a war crime.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Probably the closest Russia has ever been to a democracy in 1000 years.

Kent state was a terrible crime but tanks firing into a building full of people and killing hundreds (according Yeltsin sources) was a war crime.

I agree. 

It was the closest thing they have ever had.

 

However our reds under the bed friend needs to be educated on what communism actually is.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chess- in the headlines again.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/cricket/indian-chess-gm-narayanan-forced-to-stand-barefoot-for-metal-detector-check-during-match-in-germany/ar-AA14Efz6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2b61cae928334e18b2f051059a21bd79

AA14DWGa.img?w=768&h=432&m=6&x=471&y=142

 

 

"Indian Grandmaster S L Narayanan felt 'humiliated' as he was left to stand barefoot inside the playing hall for a metal detector check during a Bundesliga chess league match in Germany on Monday.

 

As there was a beeping sound during the metal detector check, Narayanan was made to remove his shoes and subsequently his socks too. It was later found that the beep sound emanated from the carpet on the floor.

This kind of checks happened earlier too, but they have become more rigid ever since world champion Magnus Carlsen accused American GM Hans Niemann of cheating earlier this year. 

...I felt humiliated. And if I prefer to remain silent about it, I'll not be doing justice to myself and other sportspersons who go through similar experiences," Narayanan wrote in a lengthy post on his Twitter handle. 

The 24-year-old Indian said he was one of the five players chosen by the arbiter for a random check before his first round match on Monday.

"During the check with a metal detector, there was a beep sound. So, I was told to remove my shoes and they checked again. Beep. Now, I was told to remove my socks. The arbiter then ran the metal detector on my naked foot and we heard the beep again," he wrote.

"At this point, I was told to move aside and the next player was asked to step forward. It is hard to explain how bad it felt as if I was guilty of something I had no clue about whatsoever.

 

"All this happened in the middle of the playing hall. I held a sock and stood with a bare left foot. Imagine how I might have felt.

The metal detector beeped again when the other player's foot was scanned and that prompted the arbiter to check the floor.

"It was the carpeted floor that was triggering the beep and not any human," Narayanan wrote.

"The arbiter apologised to me. But I must say how embarrassing it was. And mind you, this happened just minutes before my round." Narayanan went on to lose his game against Czech Republic GM David Navara. This was his first loss of the season for his team SV Deggendorf.

He said the situation could have been handled better.

"The fact that the arbiter apologised is appreciated. But this whole situation could have been handled better. Yes, we need such vigilant arbiters to prevent cheating in chess but at the same time they should act in some professional way.

"Arbiters should check the floors first before asking weird question like if they had any surgery or not, before instructing them to remove the shoes and socks." 

"Perhaps, FIDE and tournament organisers will bring about a change and save players from going through such humiliation."

Replying to Narayanan, FIDE CEO Emil Sutovsky wrote: "Sorry for such an unpleasant experience. However as it was not a @FIDE_chess event, I can only readdress the question to the organizers of the particular Bundesliga leg - because FIDE Protocol implies the clothes could be requested to be taken off in the dedicated separate area."

Narayanan had recently won the individual bronze medal for India on the third board at the World Team Chess Championship 2022 in Jerusalem.

It may be recalled that India's woman Grandmaster Priyanka Nutakki was expelled from the World Junior Chess Championship in Italy recently for having a pair of ear buds inside her jacket pocket during a routine check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really can't think of where else to put this nugget, so into the WET it goes...

 

:bigblush:

 

Quote

Axl Rose ends ‘mic toss’ tradition after woman claims injury at Guns N’ Roses show

sarah-do-couto.jpeg?quality=85&strip=all
By Sarah Do Couto  Global News
Posted December 5, 2022 11:32 am
A split photo. On the left is Axl Rose on stage. On the right is Rebecca Howe, who claimed to have been hit in the face with a microphone at a Guns N' Roses concert.
An Australian woman claimed she was injured at a Guns N' Roses concert in November when she was allegedly hit in the face with a microphone thrown by front man Axl Rose. Getty Images / Facebook

Hopeful fans looking to catch a piece of Guns N’ Roses concert memorabilia may be disappointed to learn that Axl Rose is ending his microphone-toss tradition.

70c8fc80

Rose’s decision to stop throwing his microphone into the crowd during the band’s concerts — which he has done for more than 30 years — came after a woman in Adelaide, Australia, was reportedly injured at a show in November.

 

According the Adelaide Advertiser, Rebecca Howe had been standing close to the stage during the concert on Nov. 29. Howe claimed when Rose tossed his microphone into the crowd following the band’s last song, Paradise City, the device hit her in the face.

 

Rebecca Howe, whose face is covered in bruises reportedly obtained when she was hit with a microphone thrown by Axl Rose.
 
Rebecca Howe claimed to have been hit in the face with a microphone thrown by Axl Rose at a Guns N’ Roses concert in Adelaide, Australia in November 2022. Facebook

Howe told the Adelaide Advertiser that she thought her face had “caved in” from the blow. She claimed that if the microphone had hit her in the temple, it “could have killed me.”

 

On Friday, Rose, the Guns N’ Roses frontman, released a statement on Twitter about Howe’s alleged injury.

“If true obviously we don’t want anyone getting hurt,” wrote Rose.

 

 

Rose wrote that most Guns N’ Roses fans are aware of the microphone-throw tradition and look forward to the opportunity to catch it when tossed into the crowd.

 

“Regardless in the interest of public safety from now on we’ll refrain from tossing the mic or anything to fans during or at r [sic] concerts,” he wrote.
 
Rose concluded by thanking all of his fans “for understanding.”
 

On social media, several Guns N’ Roses fans mourned the end of the concert tradition. Several dedicated concertgoers asked Rose to keep throwing his microphone anyway, despite the possibility that someone could get hurt.

 

 

 

 

It remains to be seen if Rose will stay true to his word for the rest of the band’s tour.

Guns N’ Roses’ current tour ends in London, England at Hyde Park on June 30, 2023.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9326099/axl-rose-mic-toss-guns-n-roses-woman-injured/

 

"I went to a Guns N' f**kin' Roses concert, and all I got were these two black eyes..."  :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the dumber things you will ever hear of ...............

 

Indonesia passes criminal code banning sex outside marriage

Indonesia's parliament has approved a new criminal code that bans anyone in the country from having extramarital sex and restricts political freedoms.

 

Sex outside marriage will carry a jail term of up to a year under the new laws, which take effect in three years.

 

The raft of changes come after a rise in religious conservatism in the Muslim-majority country.

 

Critics see the laws as a "disaster" for human rights, and a potential blow to tourism and investment.

 

Several groups of mainly young people protested against the legislation outside parliament in Jakarta this week. It is expected the new laws will be challenged in court.

 

They apply equally to locals and to foreigners living in Indonesia, or visiting holiday destinations such as Bali. Under the laws, unmarried couples caught having sex can be jailed for up to a year.

 

They are also banned from living together - an act for which people could be jailed for up to six months. Adultery will also be an offence for which people can be jailed.

 

Sex before marriage was already banned prior to the approval of this new criminal code, but the law was often not enforced.

 

The old law defined adultery as sex between a married man and someone who was not his wife, while the new law bans all sex outside of marriage, including between unmarried couples. The sentencing for those caught has also been increased from nine months to a year.

 

Supporters of the new legislation say changes were made to accommodate concerns of critics - for prosecutions to start a complaint must be filed by the children, parents or spouse of the accused couple.

 

Ajeng, a 28-year-old Muslim woman living in the West Java city of Depok, said she was now at risk for living with her partner for the past five years.

 

"With the new law, both of us can go to jail if one of the family decides to make a police report," she told the BBC.

 

"What if there's one family member who has a problem with me and decides to send me to jail?

 

"I think living together or having sex outside of marriage is not a crime. In my religion, it's considered a sin. But I don't think the criminal code should be based on a certain religion."

 

She said she had joined the nationwide protests in 2019 when the law had first been broached. She took the sign: "For the right to cuddle, I took to the streets."

 

However on Tuesday, parliament unanimously approved the new code of over 600 articles.

 

Many businesses had also been opposed to the legislation, saying it discouraged visitors and investment. But lawmakers have celebrated overhauling laws dating back to Dutch colonial rule.

 

"It is time for us to make a historical decision on the penal code amendment and to leave the colonial criminal code we inherited behind," law minister Yasonna Laoly told parliament.

 

The new legislation contains scores of new clauses criminalizing immorality and blasphemy and restricting political and religious expression.

 

Human Rights Watch's Asia Director Elaine Pearson told the BBC it was a "huge setback for a country that has tried to portray itself as a modern Muslim democracy".

 

The group's Jakarta-based researcher, Andreas Harsano, said there were millions of couples in Indonesia without marriage certificates "especially among Indigenous peoples or Muslims in rural areas" who had married in specific religious ceremonies.

 

"These people will be theoretically breaking the law as living together could be punished up to six months in prison," he told the BBC.

 

He added that research from Gulf states, where there are similar laws governing sex and relationships, showed women were punished and targeted by such morality laws more than men.

 

There are now also six blasphemy laws in the code, including apostasy - renouncing a religion. For the first time since its independence, Indonesia will make it illegal to persuade someone to be a non-believer.

 

New defamation articles also make it illegal for people to insult the president or criticise state ideology.

 

However legislators said they had added defences for free speech and protests made in the "public interest".

 

more in the link https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63869078

 

********************

 

Flights to Bali soon to be 50% off.

Edited by nuckin_futz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Alf's status update says that Jimmy got banned. Is this true? What for?

I don't know any of this case; however I'll guess it has to do with a bit of a 'purge' that is happening around here.

Though it is possible JM is just taking a break, as he did about a year ago.

However this guy:

A.V. has been axed. 

Which is remarkable, as none of the folk that would follow him around, and call him names, seem to have been exiled.

  • There it is 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I don't know any of this case; however I'll guess it has to do with a bit of a 'purge' that is happening around here.

Though it is possible JM is just taking a break, as he did about a year ago.

However this guy:

A.V. has been axed. 

Which is remarkable, as none of the folk that would follow him around, and call him names, seem to have been exiled.

Can't say I know who that is....although I might recognize him if I came across some of his posts....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...