The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On 6/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, Boudrias said:

That's quite a diet? Forgot about but still fed. Unlike Canada where those locked up get medical treatment that the average Joe has to wait in queue

Can you post a link on this? or even more info? why post a statement without any follow up when someone wants to discuss? we're on a, you know, discussion board.

Anyone else?

I'm curious but I do not think this poster is likely to expand. 

Edited by bishopshodan

What could possibly go wrong….missing mini sub. 

$250,000 dollars to  see the titanic. 13,000 ft deep , The only one of its kind  doing this, with a not so great track record. ?????

Edited by chon derry

Last Dec. You get a sense why someone would do this.  The CEO of the company is interviewed in the documentary and he is in the missing vessel. 

No judgements from me. There are people who go sky diving, climb everest, outer space, etc.  

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2055832643563

Edited by Jaimito

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Last Dec. You get a sense why someone would do this.  The CEO of the company is interviewed in the documentary and he is in the missing vessel. 

No judgements from me. There are people who go sky diving, climb everest, outer space, etc.  

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2055832643563

The judgment I have is charging people $250,000 a ride on a mini sub, that looks like the controller is from a dollar store. It also supposed to be a research vessel, yet was taking paying passengers on board. It's been stated that systems on the sub trigger automatically at 24 hours to surface in an emergency. Shouldn't there be an override if there's problems on board, it can surface immediately? (Well as quickly as it can to avoid decompression)

Here is a story about the guy in charge- complaining about the stict safety standards.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/companies/the-maker-of-the-lost-titan-submersible-previously-complained-about-strict-passenger-vessel-regulations-saying-the-industry-was-obscenely-safe/ar-AA1cMFwD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3cf139964909452886944d67d677d9c0&ei=17

The founder of the company behind the Titan submersible previously described his industry as "obscenely safe" and complained that passenger-vessel regulations held back innovation.

OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush is understood to be aboard the Titan, the submersible that lost contact with the surface Sunday, prompting fears for his safety.

The vessel, which set out with four other passengers to view the wreck of the Titanic, was believed as of early Tuesday to have between 70 and 96 hours of oxygen left, the US Coast Guard said.

Rush's efforts to advance the commercial submersible industry — distinct from the world of submarines —have been well documented in the media.

Describing the industry in a 2019 interview, Rush said that there had been no injuries in the field for decades, adding: "It's obscenely safe because they have all these regulations. But it also hasn't innovated or grown — because they have all these regulations."

OceanGate did not immediately respond to a request for comment, sent outside working hours.

Its website describes a commitment to "high-level operational safety" and the Titan's "unparalleled" hull-monitoring safety system.

The profile of Rush, which appeared in Smithsonian Magazine, describes his efforts to expand human exploration of the deep, calling him a "daredevil inventor." 

It chronicles Rush's passion for exploring and his efforts to energize the market in private submersibles, which had long been dampened by the number of industrial accidents in offshore submarine work.

A 1993 regulation put strict controls on safety standards and who could pilot a submersible. 

Rush called these developments "understandable but illogical," saying he felt the law was well meaning but lamenting the stifling effect it put on commercial innovation.

His remarks on safety came as part of a wider set of regrets about how little the US government prioritized ocean research.

A 2019 blog post on OceanGate's website cites speed of innovation as one of the reasons the Titan isn't classed according to standard regulatory processes. It said that while the company met standards "where they apply," the slow processes of vessel classification were "anathema to innovation."

Rush's company began to advertise in 2019 commercial trips in the Titan to see the famed Titanic wreck, touting an experimental design whose carbon-fiber hull was considerably lighter than other vehicles.

Trips were postponed, according to the magazine, after the company failed to get the proper permits for its contracted research-support vessel. 

As of Tuesday, efforts to locate and contact the Titan were still underway.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The judgment I have is charging people $250,000 a ride on a mini sub, that looks like the controller is from a dollar store. It also supposed to be a research vessel, yet was taking paying passengers on board. It's been stated that systems on the sub trigger automatically at 24 hours to surface in an emergency. Shouldn't there be an override if there's problems on board, it can surface immediately? (Well as quickly as it can to avoid decompression)

The money is needed to basically fund the research, as the the CEO said in one documentary.  The oils price for the entire voyage for the mother ship alone cost $1 million dollars he said.  Those that can pay are obviously well off.  Like when air travel first started, only the rich can afford it.  Whether you think that's worth it it's really up to the individual.   If offered a free ride to the moon landing and back, would you go?  Everyone will answer that a bit differently.  As person who survived a plane crash, I'm not going.

As for the auto surface and other safety designs, it didn't seem to work (unless we later find them stranded on the surface), which may imply that a catastrophic decompression happened, or got caught in a discarded net etc.   All signs point to a bad ending. 

Edited by Jaimito

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

The money is needed to basically fund the research, as the the CEO said in one documentary.  The oils price for the entire voyage for the mother ship alone cost $1 million dollars he said.  Those that can pay are obviously well off.  Like when air travel first started, only the rich can afford it.  Whether you think that's worth it it's really up to the individual.   If offered a free ride to the moon landing and back, would you go?  Everyone will answer that a bit differently.  As person who survived a plane crash, I'm not going.

As for the auto surface and other safety designs, it didn't seem to work (unless we later find them stranded on the surface), which may imply that a catastrophic decompression happened, or got caught in a discarded net etc.   All signs point to a bad ending. 

It would entirely depend on who's building the moon rocket. If Lockheed was reviving the Venturestar single stage to orbit, I'd volunteer to help test fly it. 

But I wouldn't pay Musk, or the Russians to book a flight with SpaceX or Soyuz to the ISS. 

Space exploration is risky enough for professionals. Deep sea submersibles are also risky. I understand doing something you love. 

If I rode a motorbike at the Isle of Mann, I'd love to run the circuit. But I'd never go as fast as the guys going on the TT. 

If you are doing research, that's what grants, and raising money is for. I have no issues with that. Deep sea tourism I'm concerned about passenger safety. 

Dying via suffocation is bad enough… Cant imagine being at bottom of the ocean, pitch black, counting down the hours until you run out of air, I doubt there’s bathrooms in there either.

it’ll be a damn miracle if they manage to be saved, not to be downer but god knows where an under water current took them, and then the logistics to pull them out if found.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It would entirely depend on who's building the moon rocket. If Lockheed was reviving the Venturestar single stage to orbit, I'd volunteer to help test fly it. 

But I wouldn't pay Musk, or the Russians to book a flight with SpaceX or Soyuz to the ISS. 

Space exploration is risky enough for professionals. Deep sea submersibles are also risky. I understand doing something you love. 

If I rode a motorbike at the Isle of Mann, I'd love to run the circuit. But I'd never go as fast as the guys going on the TT. 

If you are doing research, that's what grants, and raising money is for. I have no issues with that. Deep sea tourism I'm concerned about passenger safety. 

heh, neither would Musk pay himself to ride a flight with SpaceX until something like 100 flawless flights happen with his rockets (I'm pretty sure he something to that effect).:P

This emergency is puzzling. From what I have read the surface crews lost all communication with the Titan about 1.5 hrs after the dive began. This despite the submersible having a reported 4 means of communicating with the surface. That would put the vessel at about 2/3 of the way down to the oceans floor. 

Suggests to me that something catastrophic happened suddenly before the crew had a chance to communicate it to the surface. 

It has been suggested that possibly the submarine could have become entangled in a “ghost net” (abandoned or lost fishing gear) and unable to surface or maneuver. Also could be tied up with debris at the Titanic site. 

With all the safety features built into its design would the Titan not have a small capsule containing relevant situational information that could be jettisoned to the surface and easily located by transponder? This would at least give rescue crews some insight as to what they’re up against, 
This situation raises so many questions and could possibly remain a mystery for an eternity. 
I hope there is some good news soon and the 5 mariners are found alive. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

This emergency is puzzling. From what I have read the surface crews lost all communication with the Titan about 1.5 hrs after the dive began. This despite the submersible having a reported 4 means of communicating with the surface. That would put the vessel at about 2/3 of the way down to the oceans floor. 

Suggests to me that something catastrophic happened suddenly before the crew had a chance to communicate it to the surface. 

It has been suggested that possibly the submarine could have become entangled in a “ghost net” (abandoned or lost fishing gear) and unable to surface or maneuver. Also could be tied up with debris at the Titanic site. 

With all the safety features built into its design would the Titan not have a small capsule containing relevant situational information that could be jettisoned to the surface and easily located by transponder? This would at least give rescue crews some insight as to what they’re up against, 
This situation raises so many questions and could possibly remain a mystery for an eternity. 
I hope there is some good news soon and the 5 mariners are found alive. 

The wreck is 3700 metres or over 12,000 feet from the surface. It's pretty unlikely any nets on there. I mean it's possible, but that deep, that would be one durable net to go that deep and with the current.

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The wreck is 3700 metres or over 12,000 feet from the surface. It's pretty unlikely any nets on there. I mean it's possible, but that deep, that would be one durable net to go that deep and with the current.

Deep sea fishing nets are both weighted and  buoyant to ensure they can get to depth to target species. When sections of net  get damaged or outlive their use they are often cut free and left to drift. Over time they slowly sink to the bottom and rise again as the ghost fishing cycle persists.

There are lots of different nationalities fishing out there and many have little respect for the ocean. It costs them fuel and time to deal with hauling damaged nets back to port.

It’s possible Titan encountered a net long before it reached the Titanic site. It’s pitch black on the way down and battery powered light is conserved for actual viewing the Titanic. As I posted earlier, things went amiss long before the sun was scheduled to arrive at the bottom. With a single 21 inch window they could find themselves in a net before they had a chance to react. 

Edited by Barnstorm

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

As for the auto surface and other safety designs, it didn't seem to work (unless we later find them stranded on the surface), which may imply that a catastrophic decompression happened, or got caught in a discarded net etc.   All signs point to a bad ending. 

Actually it would be an implosion. 

That'll do Canada, that'll do.

3 out of the top 10 cities.

2023’s Global Liveability Index: The top 10

1. Vienna, Austria

2. Copenhagen, Denmark

3. Melbourne, Australia

4. Sydney, Australia

5. Vancouver, Canada

6. Zurich, Switzerland

7. Calgary, Canada

7. Geneva, Switzerland