The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On 6/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, bishopshodan said:

I was just mentioning occupy wall st the other day in another thread.

It's coming around Richie Rich.

No Billionaire is a cool or good person. None of them. Hoarders, that hurt the entire planet. 

Could contain: Text, Page

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

quite a contrast to the US political news now.

Everyone knows soapy punted the prancing ponce more than 3 years ago. Liberals just looking for a distraction from their diving poll numbers

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Everyone knows soapy punted the prancing ponce more than 3 years ago. Liberals just looking for a distraction from their diving poll numbers

That guy will be able to fish with nets.

Ladies will have to take a number like they are at the DMV. 

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That guy will be able to fish with nets.

Ladies will have to take a number like they are at the DMV. 

Well good for him if that's what he wants. He'll have plenty of time after the next election 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Confirmed 36 souls have lost their lives, this is devastating. To anyone that has ever vacationed in Hawaii, and to see what's left of that part of Maui, you'll know what I mean. That huge banyan tree in the center of town was iconic to those who visited and had their pictures taken near it.

• Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

https://globalnews.ca/news/9901527/yellowknife-evacuation-order-wildfires/

The N.W.T. is grappling with more than 200 wildfires that have already burned an area four times the size of Prince Edward Island.

Already eight communities have evacuated, representing 15 per cent — or nearly 6,800 people — of the territory’s population.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Land, Mountain, Chart, Plot, Vegetation, Shoreline

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

^ You know, it's almost like it is time the governments started getting serious about building an LARGE,  mobile  and effective response team for dealing with this kind of thing.

Year after year,  fires and flooding  wiping out vast areas of land, towns, and cities.  causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. Billions most likely.

Killing people. Destroying lives.

Get a national response team of thousands of people -or grow the military to double/triple our current size and have them take over responsibility.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

^ You know, it's almost like it is time the governments started getting serious about building an LARGE,  mobile  and effective response team for dealing with this kind of thing.

Year after year,  fires and flooding  wiping out vast areas of land, towns, and cities.  causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. Billions most likely.

Get a national response team of thousands of people -or grow the military to double/triple our current size and have them take over responsibility.

I have been following these fires in Canada and the US.

After years of fires I am kinda amazed there is still forests left to burn.

We have had a break for a few years, 2019 - 20, however with the El Nino and lush growth over the last few years, we are primed, and being warned about a big fire season coming.

I have lived through a few major fire events, the biggest of which was the 2009 fires, one of the deadliest fires ever.

I can still vividly remember the day they started, it was the hottest ever temperature ever recorded here in Vic, 48.8c.Hopetoun, 46.4 115.5F, here in Melbourne, 80 -100KMH winds.

I was watering on my farm, the heat was literally like a weight, pushing down on my body. 

When I heard Kinglake was being destroyed I went up and volunteered, fighting the fires, just like we did in 83 for the ash Wednesday fires. 

The town was totally destroyed however we managed to save some people and their animals. 

Mum always used to talk about the 1939 fires, how bad they were, did a bit of research, the second highest ever recorded temperature, 13th January 1939, 45.4c 114.1F.

Those fires destroyed towns that are now suburbs of Melbourne.

In the high plains fires could not be put out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gurn said:

When I was a young buck the forestry service hired logging contractors to help with forest fires. I was on one of those fires in 1974 in the Princeton area operating my uncles skidder. There were at least 3, maybe 4 contractors and their equipment as well as the suppression crew on that one fire alone. My voice took well over a week to come back from working in the smoke during that time. I'm not sure if these methods are still being used but if not, what a waste of valuable equipment and knowledge of the bush. Those old Cat operators could cut smoke guards around a fire in less than a day. Global warming, and human caused, in my opinion how many young people want to hire on as forest fire fighters?

• Upvote 1