The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

Vancouver doctors call for ‘heroin compassion clubs’ to reduce overdose deaths

https://www.vancourier.com/news/vancouver-doctors-call-for-heroin-compassion-clubs-to-reduce-overdose-deaths-1.23642085

BC Centre on Substance Use ties drug deaths to organized crime, money laundering and housing unaffordability

Legalise all drugs. That is something believe I would work, but not very easily in our current society.

My reasoning for this are a few.

- drug doses are getting smaller ( like really tiny), I heard an expert on the radio say that it will be impossible to prevent future designer drugs to enter the market. No walls etc will stop them.( I know this article is about H , but if we remove that, then it's on to the next one, on to the next one....there's a million ways to get, choose one)

- black market and dirty money run everything, just look how slow and awkward every aspect of the weed legalisation is.

- if we were an honest society we could tax the wazoo out of drugs and put all the funds into health care and education. Many people know you can get high of glue or gasoline but you don't see many people huffing these days, or drinking rice wine, or Auqa velva. This still happens in some remote places but I think general education has dissuaded most.

However I am of two minds over this, my ideological side leans to the above but my realistic side doesn't.

I run a business in the DTES, I am very tired of the addiction down there, It feels like its more rampant than ever. Now so many people stroll around with their '9 lives' Naloxone kits hanging off there side.....

I don't know what to think but I don't see many....Don't do drugs..Drugs kill ...posters down there, you see posters with info for injections sites and support for their habit... I want more education, I want more control over the substances, I want better health care support...I really want better mental health support.

I don't know what is the right thing to do. 

But I know I hate hate hate organised crime and would like to work to stop all the evil they bring to our country. 

This babble brought to you by a guy that is not an expert:wacko:

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if everyone is aware, but today would have been Steve Irwin's 57th birthday. (Google's main page has a Doodle of him today)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/the-irwin-family-pays-emotional-tribute-to-steve-on-his-57th-birthday/ar-BBTX5Iu?li=AAggSpD

RIP Steve. You were a great man....

image.thumb.png.7bf814161d95a50aa9da5f4f07d94785.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure if everyone is aware, but today would have been Steve Irwin's 57th birthday. (Google's main page has a Doodle of him today)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/the-irwin-family-pays-emotional-tribute-to-steve-on-his-57th-birthday/ar-BBTX5Iu?li=AAggSpD

Fearless and awesome. 

And what a way to go out.

I bet he wouldn't of had it any other way, doing what he loved, but still gone too soon. 

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

https://www.vancourier.com/news/vancouver-doctors-call-for-heroin-compassion-clubs-to-reduce-overdose-deaths-1.23642085

BC Centre on Substance Use ties drug deaths to organized crime, money laundering and housing unaffordability

Legalise all drugs. That is something believe I would work, but not very easily in our current society.

- drug doses are getting smaller ( like really tiny), I heard an expert on the radio say that it will be impossible to prevent future designer drugs to enter the market. No walls etc will stop them.( I know this article is about H , but if we remove that, then it's on to the next one, on to the next one....there's a million ways to get, choose one)

- black market and dirty money run everything, just look how slow and awkward every aspect of the weed legalisation is.

- if we were an honest society we could tax the wazoo out of drugs and put all the funds into health care and education. Many people know you can get high of glue or gasoline but you don't see many people huffing these days, or drinking rice wine, or Auqa velva. This still happens in some remote places but I think general education has dissuaded most.

However I am of two minds over this, my ideological side leans to the above but my realistic side doesn't.

I run a business in the DTES, I am very tired of the addiction down there, It feels like its more rampant than ever. Now so many people stroll around with their '9 lives' Naloxone kits hanging off there side.....

I don't know what to think but I don't see many....Don't do drugs..Drugs kill ...posters down there, you see posters with info for injections sites and support for their habit... I want more education, I want more control over the substances, I want better health care support...I really want better mental health support.

But I know I hate hate hate organised crime and would like to work to stop all the evil they bring to our country. 

If you tax the crap outta drugs, you can still have a thriving black market.

Regarding education... I find it hard to believe that anyone who starts talking heroin or something else hard like that is not already aware of the likely downside.

But then, this is coming from someone who uses to be on the fence abt legalizing weed but is shifting towards legalizing being a mistake.

Gotta be rough in your situation, being around DTES so much.  I was never there much when I lived up north, but did see signs of the problems.  To see it often would be disheartening, I'm sure.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

We’ve seen the government handle the legalization of marijuana.....:not sure I want the responsibility of heroin in their hands.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Kragar said:

If you tax the crap outta drugs, you can still have a thriving black market.

Regarding education... I find it hard to believe that anyone who starts talking heroin or something else hard like that is not already aware of the likely downside.

But then, this is coming from someone who uses to be on the fence abt legalizing weed but is shifting towards legalizing being a mistake.

Gotta be rough in your situation, being around DTES so much.  I was never there much when I lived up north, but did see signs of the problems.  To see it often would be disheartening, I'm sure.

Having grown up in Vancouver I saw the problem areas since I was a kid in the 80’s.

Last year I was there for the first time in a few years visiting some friends who live in the edge of China town.  It was another world entirely.  One aspect that really stood out was the police presence.  You barely saw any cops back in the day.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I saw this article earlier today.

When people start typing, I feel that they turn of common sense.

Sometimes it’s ok to keep dumb thoughts for yourself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/peta-steve-irwin-death-google-doodle-neck-bite-stingray-tweet-reaction-animal-rights-ethical-a8793301.html

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I saw this article earlier today.

When people start typing, I feel that they turn of common sense.

Sometimes it’s ok to keep dumb thoughts for yourself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/peta-steve-irwin-death-google-doodle-neck-bite-stingray-tweet-reaction-animal-rights-ethical-a8793301.html

I saw that as well and I have to confess that I was tempted to send PETA a message having to do with sex and travel.

Of all the people in the world to criticize about the treatment of animals...:picard:

On 2/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, bishopshodan said:

It's worked out well for the most part in Portugal. 

The weird winter weather (alliteration intended) has claimed another "victim". An Amtrak train with just under 200 passengers has been stranded south of Eugene, Oregon since Sunday:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/26/us/oregon-train-passengers-stranded-trnd/index.html

After record snow slammed Oregon, almost 200 people remain trapped on a train that came to a sudden stop Sunday evening south of Eugene.

After 36 hours stuck in one spot, the train finally started moving Tuesday morning. But it stopped again after about half a mile, passenger Emilie Wyrick told CNN.
Amtrak said no one was hurt Sunday when the train hit a tree that had fallen onto the tracks.
With the help of heat, power and (so far) food, passengers said the mood on board has been surprisingly upbeat.

It's just been like a giant kumbaya party," Rebekah Dodson told CNN early Tuesday. "Strangers are playing cards. A teenager played his ukulele to kids to get them to sleep. Ladies who have never met before were dancing in aisles."

Still, she said, the ordeal has been stressful as passengers cannot go anywhere. The train is surrounded by feet of snow. Some Los Angeles-bound college students have "panicked" because their professors won't accept their excuse for missing class, Dodson said.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari told CNN that none of the 183 passengers and dozen crew members were injured, but that after the accident "conditions further deteriorated with numerous track blockages from snow and fallen trees."
"Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon," he said. "We are actively working with Union Pacific to clear the right of way and get passengers off the train."
The train had power and enough food on board, for which passengers will not be charged, Amtrak said on Twitter on Monday.

I had the song "Train in Vain" by The Clash running through my head as I read this....

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Do you think the crocs are still upset that Steve got taken out by a pretty fish?

Steve's enthusiasm is what I miss most.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, bishopshodan said:

There seem to be some responsibility avoidance being championed by some people.  It's never their fault they use drug.  It's never their fault they have some catchy disease.  It's never their fault they are impoverished.  It's never their fault... etc, etc, etc.  

It's always society's fault or insert whatever boogieman for the 2-minutes of hate.  

Those who are suffering from whatever forms of psychological problems or abuse, trapped in the malaise of the DTES, being enabled by all the poverty pimps..... I can understand if their only release from their bodily suffering is via drugs.  But to almost literally playing Russian Roulette... lets just say that living doesn't seem like a high priority for them.  

As for those "recreational" users... screw them.  Not sure why society has to free sympathy for their stupidity.  You hear about how they're your everyday person... but since they are fully functioning, capable of rational thought... they are just personally choosing to engage in risky behaviour.  If they die, then so be it.  Should they be adrenaline addict speeding and driving off the Sea-to-Sky... we'd be handing them the Darwin's Award. 

I could probably go out to find and use drugs, but I don't because I want to be responsible.  It's not about being a square or I'm lucky to have a stress-free life (I've been to hell and back these past 2 years.....) but my life doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I have to think about my wife, my child and my friends.  If I value getting high over all that... then I fully responsible for all consequences.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:40 AM, riffraff said:

Having grown up in Vancouver I saw the problem areas since I was a kid in the 80’s.

Last year I was there for the first time in a few years visiting some friends who live in the edge of China town.  It was another world entirely.  One aspect that really stood out was the police presence.  You barely saw any cops back in the day.

The types of people that loiter there has changed too.  I remember going to Chinatown and venturing past that area to go to Army&Navy with my parents during the 80's and 90's.  My dad said that back in those days, most of the people there are usually just the (passive) homeless and/or drunks.  Now they're crackheads and other less than mentally stable people who are very aggressive.  I'm glad there's more cops in the area.

My wife works at the Japanese school there and she's always shocked by the behaviour of the homeless people there.  Japanese homeless people are very different from the North American homeless.  When I sometimes (accidentally) go to Tennoji (the DTES equivalent in Osaka), people are generally polite.  You see them picking up trash, sprucing up the area, just hanging out and most aren't even begging.  More actually engage in some low-level commerce to make ends meet.  

Here, you have people actively breaking into cars to steal coins.  One time I'm just sitting in my car to pickup my wife and some woman just opened my car door.  I only just said, "Excuse me?!" as my baby was in the backseat.... but she then just walked away pretending if nothing happened.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There seem to be some responsibility avoidance being championed by some people.  It's never their fault they use drug.  It's never their fault they have some catchy disease.  It's never their fault they are impoverished.  It's never their fault... etc, etc, etc.  

It's always society's fault or insert whatever boogieman for the 2-minutes of hate.  

Those who are suffering from whatever forms of psychological problems or abuse, trapped in the malaise of the DTES, being enabled by all the poverty pimps..... I can understand if their only release from their bodily suffering is via drugs.  But to almost literally playing Russian Roulette... lets just say that living doesn't seem like a high priority for them.  

As for those "recreational" users... screw them.  Not sure why society has to free sympathy for their stupidity.  You hear about how they're your everyday person... but since they are fully functioning, capable of rational thought... they are just personally choosing to engage in risky behaviour.  If they die, then so be it.  Should they be adrenaline addict speeding and driving off the Sea-to-Sky... we'd be handing them the Darwin's Award. 

I could probably go out to find and use drugs, but I don't because I want to be responsible.  It's not about being a square or I'm lucky to have a stress-free life (I've been to hell and back these past 2 years.....) but my life doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I have to think about my wife, my child and my friends.  If I value getting high over all that... then I fully responsible for all consequences.

The types of people that loiter there has changed too.  I remember going to Chinatown and venturing past that area to go to Army&Navy with my parents during the 80's and 90's.  My dad said that back in those days, most of the people there are usually just the (passive) homeless and/or drunks.  Now they're crackheads and other less than mentally stable people who are very aggressive.  I'm glad there's more cops in the area.

My wife works at the Japanese school there and she's always shocked by the behaviour of the homeless people there.  Japanese homeless people are very different from the North American homeless.  When I sometimes (accidentally) go to Tennoji (the DTES equivalent in Osaka), people are generally polite.  You see them picking up trash, sprucing up the area, just hanging out and most aren't even begging.  More actually engage in some low-level commerce to make ends meet.  

Here, you have people actively breaking into cars to steal coins.  One time I'm just sitting in my car to pickup my wife and some woman just opened my car door.  I only just said, "Excuse me?!" as my baby was in the backseat.... but she then just walked away pretending if nothing happened.  

Totally agree.  Interesting I used to A&N with my folks too during those years.

when went to visit my friend there last year they hadn’t three children with me all under 10 years of age.  My head was on a swivel and the game face was on big time as we walked to save on meats for lunch.

Edited by riffraff

15 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Wow. I have a lot to say, but I fear I may get banned if I do. Let's just hope nobody in your life ever falls victim to drugs, whether by choice or circumstance. 

PS. Recreational users don't need your idiotic sympathy, what they need are rational drug laws that allow people to get high safely. People will get high, whether you like it or not. The current laws are what put people into harm's way.

Well, I've hit my tolerance level of disgust for humanity, and it's not even noon. Thanks CDC.

• Upvote 1

Better stock up on KD and Ketchup, folks:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/25/investing/kraft-heinz-stock-debt/index.html

The Kraft Heinz food empire has a debt problem.

Heinz took on debt when the ketchup giant was taken private in 2013 by 3G Capital for $28 billion. Financing was also a key ingredient that made the marriage of Kraft and Heinz possible in 2015.

The Warren Buffett-backed food giant's serious missteps have brought its bloated balance sheet into sharp focus.

Last week, Kraft Heinz (KHC) posted a massive loss of $12.6 billion and warned that 2019 profits will tumble. Its stock price plummeted 27% on Friday.

Kraft Heinz, the owner of Oscar Mayer, Velveeta and Planters nuts, is now scrambling to raise cash that can be used to pay down its nearly $31 billion of long-term debt.

The fact that a company can somehow remain afloat with 31 billion in debts is pretty amazing.:blink:

Still you have to give the CEO credit.....amassing that kind of debt pretty much makes him a perfect candidate for a Republican president.....

45 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Get high safely. On heroin. There's an oxymoron if I ever heard of one.

Fry your brain on your own dime..

This country at all levels of government is a complete embarrassment. I'd leave, but the States are just as bad.

I guess you prefer them stealing from grandmas to "earn" their dime. Also, I'm sure you love having all the junkies clogging up healthcare, right? Can't give people free, clean drugs, or they might get high and not die. Why won't somebody think of the children. :picard:

PS. Heroin is a prescription drug in the UK. 

Edited by Lockout Casualty

18 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

I guess you prefer them stealing from grandmas to "earn" their dime. Also, I'm sure you love having all the junkies clogging up healthcare, right? Can't give people free, clean drugs, or they might get high and not die. Why won't somebody think of the children. :picard:

PS. Heroin is a prescription drug in the UK. 

Gonna buy your a sibling or relative his or her heroin if they develop an addiction? No. And if you do you might as well give them a gun instead and get it over with. It's not any different if it's a stranger and subsidized heroin. People have continue to overdose and die in record numbers in this province. The concept of safe spaces and "safe drugs" has done jack $&!# to deter any of this.

15 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gonna buy your a sibling or relative his or her heroin if they develop an addiction? No. And if you do you might as well give them a gun instead and get it over with. It's not any different if it's a stranger and subsidized heroin. People have continue to overdose and die in record numbers in this province. The concept of safe spaces and "safe drugs" has done jack $&!# to deter any of this.

You know, I'll ask my friend this question. Would he rather have bought clean heroin for his brother, or had him declared dead for 3 minutes before coming back and being paralyzed on the right side of his body, not to mention all the previous overdoses in downtown Starbucks over the years we were growing up. I wonder what his answer will be. Brother is clean now, has a son, and lives a productive life, by the way.

What's your alternative? Letting people continue to overdose and die? You may as well tell water to stop being wet if you think people will ever stop doing drugs. Best society can do is minimize the costs. Costs to our healthcare system, costs to our police enforcement, costs to families in bad neighbourhoods, costs to families of users themselves. Give people access to clean, affordable heroin, and reap the benefits. Or continue on the same path as the last century and watch the problem continue to get worse, because "drugs are bad, mmmkay".

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of seeing my tax money go to save lives that never had to be endangered in the first place. Think of harm reduction next time you see a dozen officers on Hastings arresting some poor schmoe trying to unload stolen goods for pennies on the dollar, all to feed his illegal (and therefore extremely expensive and dangerous) habit. It doesn't have to be this way. 

Or maybe you're the guy making a fortune buying expensive bikes for 20 bucks a pop?