The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, riffraff said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-07/suspected-poacher-killed-by-elephant-eaten-by-lions-south-africa/10979436

An elephant has killed a suspected poacher and lions have eaten his remains, with a human skull and a pair of pants all that authorities have been able to recover.

Key points:

• The man was believed to have been trying to poach rhinos in the Kruger National Park when he was killed
  • Authorities have warned against entering the reserve on foot as "it holds many dangers"
  • The suspected poacher's four accomplices were arrested by rangers

attaway nature!!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1

Oy......:wacko:

https://www.space.com/israeli-beresheet-moon-landing-attempt-fails.html

Israel's first moon lander came up just short in its historic touchdown bid this afternoon (April 11).

The robotic Beresheet spacecraft, built by SpaceIL and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), aimed to become the first Israeli craft, and the first privately funded mission, ever to land softly on the moon. But the little robot couldn't quite make it, crashing into the gray dirt around 3:25 p.m. EDT (1925 GMT). Mission control lost communications with the spacecraft when it was about 489 feet (149 meters) above the moon's surface.

"We had a failure in the spacecraft; we unfortunately have not managed to land successfully," Opher Doron, the general manager of IAI, said during a live broadcast from mission control. "It's a tremendous achievement up 'til now."

"If at first you don't succeed, you try again," said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who watched Beresheet's landing attempt from SpaceIL's control center in Yehud, Israel.

So the list of moon-landing nations remains at three, all of them superpowers — the Soviet Union, the United States and China.

But Beresheet accomplished plenty during its short life, as we shall see.

Something's up in downtown Penticton:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/serious-unfolding-incident-in-downtown-penticton-prompts-police-warning/ar-BBVY0vW?li=AAggXBV

Members of the public are being asked to stay out of downtown Penticton due to a "serious and unfolding incident."

Penticton RCMP have issued a statement asking the public to "abide by all police directions."

Residents are also being told to stay out of an area bordered by Eckhardt Avenue, Power Street, Lakeshore Drive and Main Street.

"For your own safety we ask that you restrict travel inside this zone and remain inside your residence, or place of work until we have issued further direction," reads the statement.

More to come...

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Sometimes I wonder if there is actually more hatred in this world now.... or just this world has always been fill with this amount of hatred and we are just hearing about it more.  

I'm hoping it's the latter.

There was also a story today about a guy pretending to be a delivery man, who pulled out a crossbow and shot a woman with it, at her home in Mississauga...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crossbow-shooting-mississauga-1.5098342

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm hoping it's the latter.

There was also a story today about a guy pretending to be a delivery man, who pulled out a crossbow and shot a woman with it, at her home in Mississauga...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crossbow-shooting-mississauga-1.5098342

Cheers to that.  

Sometimes it's way easier to just ignore the news and current events.... way too depressing.

There should be a "Good News" thread sticki'ed in this forum.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Sometimes I wonder if there is actually more hatred in this world now.... or just this world has always been fill with this amount of hatred and we are just hearing about it more.  

World has always been the same, 24 hour a day media coverage is new.

This is a story that seems like it should be a True Detective series, but it actually happened:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/us/florida-school-possible-graves/index.html

Nearly eight years after shutting its doors following a bone-chilling 111-year legacy of abuse, Florida's Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys is still unearthing dark secrets.

Last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wrote that "anomalies consistent with possible graves," were discovered at a site near the defunct Marianna, Florida, school during a recent ground pollution cleanup.
University of South Florida Anthropology Professor Dr. Erin Kimmerle told CNN that a company conducting "ground penetrating radar" (GPR) tests on the grounds reported discovering 27 anomalies in a wooded area about 500 yards north of the area where her team found the remains of 51 boys in 2013.
Kimmerle said the area is near where an old working farm on the school grounds used to be.
Nearly 100 children died while at the school, according to state and school records, many as a result of a tragic dormitory fire in 1914 and a deadly flu epidemic in 1918. But the circumstances surrounding other deaths have remained a mystery and it has long been unclear who is buried where.
It's too early to tell if the most recent discovery is a gravesite, Kimmerle said, and there will be more testing -- including "ground truth" testing -- as needed. "Ground truth" testing includes tedious digging of trenches and test pits to see what exactly is in the ground there and confirm what is possibly seen on the GPR tests.
"I think it needs to be ground-truthed and checked out further," Kimmerle says. "Given the historical sensitivity, this needs to be done and put to rest."

The state has confirmed that the school grounds contained a burial site for unknown students.

In 2008, Gov. Charlie Crist ordered an investigation after a group of men known as "the White House Boys" came forward with stories of beatings inside a small, white building on the property. The men shared stories of being beaten unconscious, or whipped until their underwear was embedded in their buttocks.
A state investigation concluding a year later found insufficient evidence of abuse at Dozier and determined there was no criminal activity or abusive treatment connected to any of the deaths. Former students continued speaking out with stories of abusive administrators, beatings, killings and the disappearances of other students.
Former school administrator Troy Tidwell said in a 2009 deposition "spankings" took place but no one was ever beaten or killed.
Florida's Department of Juvenile Justice closed the school in 2011, citing budget cuts.

I wouldn't be surprised of there were similar things that happened in Canada's Residential School system. In fact, I'd be surprised if there weren't.

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I know a older fella from Yugoslavia, he told me some sort of agreement or a deal is coming to an end he fears war is likely over there. ??

@CBH1926

Not sure if this is it, but I found some reference online to a Slovenia - Croatia border dispute that goes back to when the former Yugoslavia was disbanded. Seems as though tensions are quite high ATM...

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure if this is it, but I found some reference online to a Slovenia - Croatia border dispute that goes back to when the former Yugoslavia was disbanded. Seems as though tensions are quite high ATM...

Ya I read that also. Didn't they turn into like 4 or 6 countries? 

I know @CBH1926 is from the area so figured he might know more. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I read that also. Didn't they turn into like 4 or 6 countries? 

I know @CBH1926 is from the area so figured he might know more. 

Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Macedonia (now North Macedonia)

BTW: Montenegro is where Milos Raonic is originally from....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1