The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

Former Alabama coach Mike DuBose hospitalized after accidental shooting

(Not going to bore you all. I'll just get right to the meat and potatoes, and skip the rest)

Mike DuBose, a former Alabama defensive lineman and head coach, is being treated for non-life threatening injuries after accidentally shooting himself.

The incident happened shortly before 2 p.m. Monday, according to WSFA 12 News, when he was struck in the torso by a single .38 caliber handgun bullet.

WAAO-FM spoke to some of the coach’s family members, who said he was using a riding lawn mower at his father’s property when he was struck by the bullet. The family said the gun was for protection against snakes.

Aren't you more likely to get the snake with the riding mower than with a .38?

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

On 2018-10-02 at 9:21 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Former Alabama coach Mike DuBose hospitalized after accidental shooting

(Not going to bore you all. I'll just get right to the meat and potatoes, and skip the rest)

Mike DuBose, a former Alabama defensive lineman and head coach, is being treated for non-life threatening injuries after accidentally shooting himself.

The incident happened shortly before 2 p.m. Monday, according to WSFA 12 News, when he was struck in the torso by a single .38 caliber handgun bullet.

WAAO-FM spoke to some of the coach’s family members, who said he was using a riding lawn mower at his father’s property when he was struck by the bullet. The family said the gun was for protection against snakes.

Aren't you more likely to get the snake with the riding mower than with a .38?

Did this man actually have an education?

Suge Knight’s son says Tupac Shakur is ‘alive in Malaysia’

https://globalnews.ca/news/4516077/suge-knight-son-tupac-shakur-alive-malaysia/

Knew it! who records a million songs ( 6 albums worth?), releases under the name Makaveli ( a nod to Machiavelli, who actually pulled off faking his own death), then a prerecorded video is released with him singing from heaven right after he died. <_<

I wasn't a big Pac fan.... a little after my rap era ( I was into PE and NWA). However, these are the points I can remember from the conspiracy. I don't believe it but its fun to talk about.

That said, if anyone pulled it off.....could it be this thug?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wedding-limo-crash-leaves-20-dead-in-new-york/ar-BBO3ONj?ocid=spartandhp

"

Twenty people have been killed after a limousine reported to be carrying a wedding party collided with a car in upstate New York.

Police are investigating after the two-vehicle crash at an intersection in Schoharie shortly before 2pm on Saturday.

An SUV-style stretch limousine sped down a hill before hitting pedestrians outside the Apple Barrel Country Store and Cafe, the Albany Times-Union reports.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told the Associated Press that 18 of the fatalities were in the limousine. They added that the two other victims were bystanders.

Jessica Kirby, the store's manager, told the New York Times that "multiple" customers were killed in the shop's car park when they were struck by the vehicle."

Just horrible news. Hopefully the self driving vehicle will reduce carnage like this.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wedding-limo-crash-leaves-20-dead-in-new-york/ar-BBO3ONj?ocid=spartandhp

"

Twenty people have been killed after a limousine reported to be carrying a wedding party collided with a car in upstate New York.

Police are investigating after the two-vehicle crash at an intersection in Schoharie shortly before 2pm on Saturday.

An SUV-style stretch limousine sped down a hill before hitting pedestrians outside the Apple Barrel Country Store and Cafe, the Albany Times-Union reports.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told the Associated Press that 18 of the fatalities were in the limousine. They added that the two other victims were bystanders.

Jessica Kirby, the store's manager, told the New York Times that "multiple" customers were killed in the shop's car park when they were struck by the vehicle."

Just horrible news. Hopefully the self driving vehicle will reduce carnage like this.

Terrible tragedy indeed, I hope they look into limo safety as well.

SUV converted into limo like that, has no airbags in the back, rollover protection, way to escape etc.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how many people watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver last night, but Brazil looks poised to elect their own version of Donald Trump and if such a thing is possible, he might be even worse:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45780176

The former army captain has made provocative statements on a huge range of issues.

He has pledged tough punishments for offenders and the relaxing of gun ownership. He has also spoken of torture as a legitimate practice and wants to restore the death penalty.

His hard-line approach to law and order has brought back memories of the two-decade military dictatorship, and earned him backing from the military and those demanding greater safety in a country with rising levels of violent crime.

Misogynistic and homophobic rhetoric has prompted outrage and protests, and he has taken a strong anti-abortion stance.

Like Mr Trump, Mr Bolsonaro has criticised the Paris climate agreement, and he has vowed to make Brazil great again.

Economically, he favours a smaller state. He has announced plans to lower taxes, privatise state companies and limit foreign ownership of natural resources.

The difference between the US and Brazil, is that Brazil really was a disaster under the previous administration(s) and the backlash by voters is somewhat understandable, especially considering the involvement of government officials in Operation Car Wash, which investigators call "10 times worse than Watergate".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35810578

Bolsonaro is truly a terrible candidate and has the potential to cause a lot of damage, both at home and abroad, but, much like what happened in the US in 2016, his main opposition doesn't inspire much confidence. (or much of anything, really)

image.png.e516d27ffd849c4a270dec7ba85bc911.png

Here's hoping that Brazilians come to their senses and realize that a mediocre candidate is preferable to a crazy one, no matter how "great" he promises to make them.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure how many people watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver last night, but Brazil looks poised to elect their own version of Donald Trump and if such a thing is possible, he might be even worse:

The difference between the US and Brazil, is that Brazil really was a disaster under the previous administration(s) and the backlash by voters is somewhat understandable, especially considering the involvement of government officials in Operation Car Wash, which investigators call "10 times worse than Watergate".

Bolsonaro is truly a terrible candidate and has the potential to cause a lot of damage, both at home and abroad, but, much like what happened in the US in 2016, his main opposition doesn't inspire much confidence. (or much of anything, really)

Here's hoping that Brazilians come to their senses and realize that a mediocre candidate is preferable to a crazy one, no matter how "great" he promises to make them.

Don't see how Brazil avoids electing Bolsonaro given just how disastrous their previous governments have been. Be prepared for even worse, much worse.

Wouldn't be surprised if Brazil goes dictatorial under Bolsonaro given that they are still a young democracy and much of the populous is distrustful of democratic leaders currently.

People are swayed by showmanship and Bolsonaro has that in spades compared to Haddad. 

If you want to make some money, invest in the Brazil stock market now. Should continue to soar if Bolsonaro is elected. 

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Don't see how Brazil avoids electing Bolsonaro given just how disastrous their previous governments have been. Be prepared for even worse, much worse.

Wouldn't be surprised if Brazil goes dictatorial under Bolsonaro given that they are still a young democracy and much of the populous is distrustful of democratic leaders currently.

People are swayed by showmanship and Bolsonaro has that in spades compared to Haddad. 

If you want to make some money, invest in the Brazil stock market now. Should continue to soar if Bolsonaro is elected. 

Unfortunately, I agree. I don't see how someone as uninspiring as Haddad turns around a 15 point deficit in just a few weeks.

I'm sure the resident CC deniers will chime in with the usual objections to the 97%, or CO2 angles, but for those of us who understand that anthroprogenic Climate Change is a fact, the probable election of Bolsonaro is even more alarming when one considers this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html?no-st=1539026895

Governments around the world must take "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society" to avoid disastrous levels of global warming, says a stark new report from the global scientific authority on climate change.

The report issued Monday by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), says the planet will reach the crucial threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by as early as 2030, precipitating the risk of extreme drought, wildfires, floods and food shortages for hundreds of millions of people.
The date, which falls well within the lifetime of many people alive today, is based on current levels of greenhouse gas emissions.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, I agree. I don't see how someone as uninspiring as Haddad turns around a 15 point deficit in just a few weeks.

It's not quite a 15 point deficit as the majority of Gomes' voters will go to Haddad in the run-off election. 

Honestly, Haddad is probably a $&!# candidate as well. Part of the same party as former president Lucas, who's facing corruption charges. His party also has far-left sympathisers and supporters who support Maduro in Venezuela. These countries are a mess right now. 

22 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Terrible tragedy indeed, I hope they look into limo safety as well.

SUV converted into limo like that, has no airbags in the back, rollover protection, way to escape etc.

Driver was not licensed to drive that vehicle. That vehicle failed inspection a month ago and was not supposed to be on the road. 

What an enormous cluster. Sadly, when profit meets safety, profit wins out every time.

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Driver was not licensed to drive that vehicle. That vehicle failed inspection a month ago and was not supposed to be on the road. 

What an enormous cluster. Sadly, when profit meets safety, profit wins out every time.

My God that is tragic.  These people did the right thing by hiring, what they thought, was a professional driver to transport them safely.  Now we hear the driver was not even licensed properly, and the Limousine was in disrepair!  I really don’t know what can be done in such situations, but surely there can be something?  

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

They originally rented a party bus, but it broke down so they got the limo.

One of the victims even texted her friend saying that the limo was real piece of $&!#.

Sad indeed for all the lives that were lost.

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Brazil is traveling down the same path as Italy, Germany, Sweden, Hungary, Poland, USA, Russia, Pakistan, Austria, Turkey, Indonesia, Philippines etc.

Populism and nationalism is spreading in America, Europe, Asia and Middle East.

Politics are very cyclical, pendulum is starting to swing the other way.

With global warming, diminishing natural resources, loss of traditional power, it is inevitable for conflicts to start happening.

Dog Surrendered with Heartbreaking Note Before Owner's Suicide Now Has New Loving Home

image.thumb.png.1ee39572795b571d4a4dee092113c35a.png

Shell’s owner just wanted to make sure her “very sweet girl” found a loving home — and that’s exactly what happened.

Last week, the small dog was surrendered at Stray Rescue of St. Louis with a heartbreaking note attached.

The portion of the letter that Stray Rescue posted on Facebook reads:

To Stray Rescue:

I am writing you cause I need you to take my dog Shell. My mother adopted Shell from Stray Rescue around 2009-2010 … In 2012 she had a massive stroke and now has Alzheimers. So in 2012 Shell came to live with me. I’ve been fighting cancer for a few months and if you’re reading this I lost my battle. I need for my baby girl to be taking [sic] care of in a home with one person.

Shell is a very sweet little girl. She’s been threw [sic] a lot so she has trouble with trust in the beginning. She loves to cuddle but doesn’t like to be carried. She’s very smart.

According to KMOV, Shell’s owner, who had cancer for the second time, died by suicide shortly after leaving her dog at the shelter.

Dedicated to honoring the owner’s wishes, Stray Rescue set to work finding the perfect person to adopt Shell. After receiving an onslaught of applications from animal lovers who felt for Shell and the struggle her owner endured, the shelter was able to pick one person.

On Thursday, they announced on Facebook that Shell found her ideal match in a woman who had lost her beloved Stray Rescue pup in July.

“She just felt so drawn to her. Wasting no time, she filled out an application and was here the very next morning. The two of them hit it off and she knew it was definitely the right time. She says Shell is already running the house, and that they are inseparable,” reads the post.

While every adoption is a win for the shelter, Stray Rescue staff say they were “honored” to fulfill a final wish for Shell’s owner, and promise that Shell will be “spoiled for the rest of her life.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dog-surrendered-heartbreaking-note-owner-183931471.html

At first I was :sadno:, but then I was :)

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Vancouver Police officer injured after assault during traffic stop

An officer with the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) was sent to hospital Tuesday night with significant injuries after he was assaulted during a routine traffic stop in downtown Vancouver.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-police-officer-injured-assault-traffic-stop

I cant stand this crap. I'm very tired of the thugs that just seem to do whatever they want in our cities these days. These guys should have the book thrown at them and their pictures displayed on sign posts for months when they commit these kinds of things. They should live with their actions following them.

I saw too much stuff in my years working in the clubs, I can't honestly count how many knocked out and hurt people I have seen. I don't know how anyone could become a cop anymore, they don't get any respect and they do not get paid enough for this.

If you or someone you know associates with a criminal in anyway and you think that's fine... If your kids hang out with people that you don't trust...If you date a guy that has too much money and it makes no sense....if you turn a blind eye when that BF gets into fights....if you think 'not my monkey, not my circus' is cool saying for when you see crimes...

You.Are.Part.Of.The.Problem.

To steal a Jim Jefferies line "we can all do better", talk to your neighbours and community leaders. The police and municipal councils wont be able to fix this problem without us all making an effort.

Edited by bishopshodan

This is the kind of POS that gives hunters a bad name:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/us/blake-fischer-idaho-fish-game-hunting-controversy-trnd/index.html

Idaho Fish and Game Commissioner Blake Fischer is in hot water over his account of a hunting trip to Africa, and former commissioners are now suggesting he resign.

In the middle of September, Fischer sent an email to more than 100 friends and colleagues recapping his recent hunting trip to Namibia.

Along with the email, obtained by CNN, Fischer attached 12 pictures of himself and his wife standing over various kills: an oryx, a giraffe, a waterbuck, a leopard and, perhaps most notably, a group of four dead baboons.

• Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/russian-official-student-gunman-killed-17-at-crimea-college/ar-BBOv76P?ocid=spartandhp

"

A Russian official said a student attacked a vocational college Wednesday in Crimea, a rampage that killed 17 other students and left more than 40 people wounded, before killing himself.

The comments from Sergei Aksyonov, the regional leader in Crimea, were the latest in a series of shifting explanations by Russian officials as to what exactly happened at Kerch Polytechnic College in the Black Sea city of Kerch.

Russian officials at first reported a gas explosion, then said an explosive device ripped through the college canteen in a suspected terrorist attack. But witnesses reported that at least some victims were killed in an attack by a gunman or gunmen.

Aksyonov said on television that the student, a local man acting alone, killed himself after the attack.

Russia's Investigative Committee, the nation's top investigative agency, identified the attacker as Vladislav Roslyakov, 18. It said he was caught on security cameras entering the college with a rifle and firing at students.

The committee said all the victims died of gunshot wounds, contrasting with the previous statements by other officials saying they were injured in an explosion.

Reflecting the official confusion, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the victims were killed by an explosion just as the Investigative Committee was announcing they were fatally shot.

Putin deplored the attack as a "tragic event" and offered condolences to the victims' families at a news conference in Sochi, where he had talks with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.

After the attack, local officials declared a state of emergency on the Black Sea peninsula that they had annexed from Ukraine in 2014. They also beefed up security at a new 19-kilometre (11.8-mile) bridge that links the peninsula with Russia that opened earlier this year.

Military units were deployed around the college.

The Investigative Committee initially said an explosive device that went off at the college's canteen was rigged with shrapnel.

Sergei Melikov, a deputy chief of the Russian National Guard, said the device was homemade. Explosives experts inspected the college building for other possible bombs, according to Anti-Terrorism Committee spokesman Andrei Przhezdomsky.

Witnesses did not speak of an explosion but said one or more armed men attacked the school.

The Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper quoted student Semyon Gavrilov as saying he fell asleep during a lecture and woke up to the sound of shooting. He said he looked out and saw a young man with a rifle shooting at people.

"I locked the door, hoping he wouldn't hear me," the paper quoted Gavrilov as saying.

He said police arrived about 10 minutes later to evacuate people from the college and he saw dead bodies on the floor and charred walls.

Another student, Yuri Kerpek, told the state RIA Novosti news agency that the shooting went on for about 15 minutes.

Olga Grebennikova, director of the vocational college, told KerchNet TV that men armed with automatic rifles burst into the college and "killed everyone they saw." Grebennikova, who said she had left the grounds shortly before the attack occurred, said students and staff were among victims.

Russian Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova headed to the area to help co-ordinate assistance to the wounded and helicopters carrying emergency medical teams flew to the area.

Russia's annexation of Crimea from Ukraine triggered Western sanctions. Russia has also supported separatists fighting the Ukrainian government in eastern Ukraine, a conflict that has left at least 10,000 people dead since 2014.

Over the past few years, Russian security agencies have arrested several Ukrainians accused of plotting terror attacks in Crimea, but no attacks have occurred."

Watching soccer while black;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-white-woman-people-have-dubbed-golfcart-gail-called-the-police-on-a-black-man-for-cheering-on-his-son-during-a-soccer-game/ar-BBOw8Up?ocid=spartandhp

"

• A white woman in Florida called the police on a black man who was cheering on his son during a soccer game, according to a viral Facebook post.
  • A woman who is referred to as "Golfcart Gail" felt that he was exhibiting "threatening behavior," and she decided to call 911, even though the man offered to leave.
  • Two St. Johns County sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene.
  • They ultimately let the man, who was not identified, go.

A white woman in Ponte Vedro, Florida called the police on a black man who was cheering on his son during a soccer game, according to a viral Facebook post."