The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

wonder if it is truly "targeted" or just a coincidence of location.

In Powell River we had a cluster of a type of cancer in some of the police that were serving, or had served in this town.

Investigation revealed that the, at that time, police station was in an old B.C. Hydro building; that was used to store old pcb laden transformers.

A bunch of clean up later and that building became a restaurant for years, then a weed shop.

4 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

If it's Russia, why wouldn't they be doing this in other countries as well?

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Dunno

Just a guess, so take it FWIW, but Cuba is a country with a history of antagonism towards the US, is in close proximity and was allied with the Soviets.

Putin's aim for a while is to stoke division and he probably didn't like the thawing that took place during Obama's tenure. For the same reason he wanted Trump in the WH, he'd likely love to see increased tension between the US and Cuba. It's all about sowing division and destabilizing administrations.

I also believe that Cuba is where he feels he'd get the most bang for his buck, as opposed to say, one of the former Soviet republics, like Estonia or Kyrgyzstan....

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just a guess, so take it FWIW, but Cuba is a country with a history of antagonism towards the US

And who can blame them after the Spanish-american war in that country the seppos exploited them.

The cut tariffs on American goods going into Cuba not giving Cuban goods the same rights going into America.

From 1902 they had control of 80 percent of ore exports and owned nearly all of the sugar and cigarette factories.

I could go on and on.

Even though it went under the name of an Independent country to quote governor wood " little or no independence had been left to Cuba with the Platt amendment and the only thing appropriate was to seek annexation".

Just another example of America "defending democratic principles" translated defending American corporations interests around the world.

8 hours ago, gurn said:

wonder if it is truly "targeted" or just a coincidence of location.

In Powell River we had a cluster of a type of cancer in some of the police that were serving, or had served in this town.

Investigation revealed that the, at that time, police station was in an old B.C. Hydro building; that was used to store old pcb laden transformers.

A bunch of clean up later and that building became a restaurant for years, then a weed shop.

I work in the trades that toxic $&!# was used in every old building I've seen some disgusting and toxic $&!#.Im probably developing a nice tumor as I type this.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 2/9/2021 at 1:10 PM, UnkNuk said:

"At no time was there a significant adverse effect on the water being treated," Gualtieri said. "The public was never in danger."

Sounds to me like the public was very much in danger.   Had it not been for an alert worker that could have been pretty bad.

Yeah water systems are very easy to tamper with they put no real effort into them most of the systems are automated these days making it super easy to access.

Just read an article that stated Britian, France, Germany,Holland and Canada are sending a flotilla of warships with Britians new Flagship aircraft carrier the Queen Elizabeth as the centre piece,to the South China sea.

This has huge ramifications for us here in the Pacific and indeed the rest of the world.

The Chinese have been "building" Islands and generally throwing their weight around in the region including invading Taiwanese airspace.

Ping has been exhorting his troops to fire up and that a fight might be coming for a while now.

This could turn ugly real quick.

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Just read an article that stated Britian, France, Germany,Holland and Canada are sending a flotilla of warships with Britians new Flagship aircraft carrier the Queen Elizabeth as the centre piece,to the South China sea.

This has huge ramifications for us here in the Pacific and indeed the rest of the world.

The Chinese have been "building" Islands and generally throwing their weight around in the region including invading Taiwanese airspace.

Ping has been exhorting his troops to fire up and that a fight might be coming for a while now.

This could turn ugly real quick.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/british-and-canadian-warships-invade-south-china-sea-as-tensions-escalate-with-beijing/news-story/41cc91af2af8b5ec3126712d09fef454

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Bad use of the word invade, when discussing military actions, but a decent article otherwise.

That article is from an outlet owned by the Murdoch empire.

Apart from the actual facts the rest is just BS.

It's a shame people need the Media's interpretation of events rather than the people around them interpretation of the Media's coverage of events.

This idea that unless you can post a link to an article you lack cred shows what a sad state human interaction has come to.

Former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy has been sentenced to jail:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/europe/french-ex-president-nicolas-sarkozy-sentenced-jail-intl/index.html

A French court on Monday sentenced former President Nicolas Sarkozy to three years in prison for corruption and influence peddling, but suspended two years of the sentence.

President from 2007 to 2012, he was found guilty of trying to illegally obtain information from a senior magistrate in 2014 about an ongoing investigation into his campaign finances.
The judge said Sarkozy did not need to serve time in jail. He could serve the sentence by wearing an electronic bracelet at home.
The 66-year-old is the first president to have been sentenced to jail in France's modern history.
The Paris prosecutor had requested a two-year prison sentence and a two-year suspended sentence for Sarkozy and his co-defendants, his lawyer Thierry Herzog and former magistrate Gilbert Azibert.
Herzog and Azibert were found guilty and handed prison sentences.
After a lengthy investigation and legal entanglements, the trial began at the end of last year. The judge handed down Sarkozy's sentence Monday afternoon in front of a full courtroom.
Dubbed the "wiretapping case," it began in 2013 when investigators bugged phones belonging to Sarkozy and his lawyer Herzog, in the context of an inquiry against Sarkozy.
They discovered that the two men promised senior magistrate Gilbert Azibert a prestigious position in Monaco, in exchange for information about an ongoing inquiry into claims that Sarkozy had accepted illegal payments from L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt for his successful 2007 presidential campaign.

I hope the US DOJ is taking notes....B)

Remember the East Coast shooter in Newfoundland/Nova scotia?

This is a related story.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/watchdog-recommends-no-charges-against-rcmp-officers-who-shot-at-nova-scotia-fire-hall/ar-BB1eap6S?ocid=msedgntp

"Two RCMP officers who unleashed a hailstorm of semi-automatic gunfire at the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade hall last April while searching for the Nova Scotia gunman will not face criminal charges, according to a report completed by the province’s Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT).

The SIRT report said that the two officers who fired their weapons did so believing the person they were shooting at was the gunman. This is because he was dressed similarly to the gunman — wearing a yellow and orange reflective vest — and standing near a marked RCMP cruiser at the time of the shooting.

"The investigation found that based on everything the officers had seen and heard since coming on duty and what they had observed at the time, they had reasonable grounds to believe that the male was the killer and someone who would continue his killing rampage. They discharged their weapons in order to prevent further deaths or serious injuries," the report said.

"Accordingly, no criminal offence was committed, and no charges are warranted against either officer."

The officers, who were not named in the report, were carrying semi-automatic police carbines at the time of the shooting, according to two eyewitnesses and surveillance video from the fire hall reviewed by Global News.

The shots were fired in the direction of a fellow RCMP officer who was stationed at the fire hall and an employee of the regional Emergency Management Office (EMO).

Video: Fire hall in Onslow peppered with bullets

Both men were outside the front entrance of the building when the RCMP officers began firing, according to two witnesses and surveillance video reviewed by Global News. Two volunteer firefighters and a man whose son was killed by the gunman the night before were inside the fire hall at the time of the shooting.

The shooting occurred at 10:21 a.m. on April 19 during the search for ************** , who murdered 22 people before he was shot dead by two other RCMP officers later that morning.

People who say they witnessed the RCMP officers firing their weapons, and some of those who were fired upon, say they are still traumatized by the incident.

“On that day, we were terrorized for one hour by the RCMP,” said Darrell Currie, Onslow deputy fire chief and one of the men who was shot at by the RCMP officers during an interview before the report was released.

The shooting

Currie was at the fire hall on the morning of April 19 with Onslow fire chief Greg Muise setting up an evacuation centre for people affected by the killing spree.

The two men were inside with the father of a shooting victim when they heard a flurry of semi-automatic gunfire coming from outside the building.

Surveillance video from inside the building shows Currie hurriedly moving toward another part of the building to take cover once the shooting begins. The video also shows the EMO employee who was outside when the shooting started entering the building, staying low in an apparent attempt to avoid being shot.

Currie and Muise said that when the shooting started, they began flipping tables on their sides to make it more difficult for whoever was shooting at them to find them. They also hid behind stacked metal chairs.

At the time of the shooting, no one inside the building knew who was firing at them, Currie and Muise said. Both men said they assumed it was the gunman. They also said they were relieved to make it out of the fire hall alive.

“It was probably the absolute worst moment of my life,” Currie said.

“I don't think people understand the seriousness of or how close somebody was to dying that day.”

The surveillance video

Global News has reviewed surveillance video from inside and outside the fire hall taken on the day of the shooting.

The video does not show the RCMP officers firing their weapons. At the time of the shooting, the officers were out of range of the fire hall cameras, Currie and Muise said.

Two people who witnessed the shooting told Global News they saw two RCMP officers in an unmarked vehicle stop on the road outside the fire hall and begin firing.

The witnesses said the RCMP officers exited the vehicle after stopping and took up positions in the ditch and near a set of garbage cans. Both officers then started shooting in the direction of the fire hall, the witnesses said.

The surveillance video from outside the fire hall shows two uniformed RCMP officers approach the building with assault-style weapons drawn. One of the officers goes toward the side of the building, while the other officer goes toward the front entrance.

The officer who headed toward the side of the building continues to walk around the back of the fire hall, surveillance video shows. The officer’s weapon appears to be pointed toward the ground as he walks.

The video shows that this officer does not appear to look behind or inside any of the sheds, trailers or shipping containers located on the property. His sweep takes less than a minute, according to the video.

Meanwhile, the other officer who approached the front entrance of the building is seen entering the fire hall with the RCMP officer who was stationed there.

According to time stamps on the surveillance video, the officer with the assault-style firearm was inside the building for less than 20 seconds. The officer who was stationed at the fire hall was inside the building for 30 seconds.

Currie and Muise said none of the RCMP officers checked on them to see if they were injured.

Currie said he heard one of the officers ask if everyone inside was OK, but neither he nor Muise replied because, at the time, they didn’t know who was shooting at them and because they didn’t know who was asking if they were OK.

The two men said they waited an hour before exiting the building. They only did so because they received an update on Twitter that said the gunman was spotted in another part of the province.

No apology

Currie and Muise said the RCMP paid for the cost of the damage to the building and equipment, including a firetruck, caused by the shooting.

But, they said, no one from the force has offered an explanation for what happened that morning and no one has apologized for the trauma they experienced.

“They put us through hell,” Muise said. “I don't feel any better than I did when this happened.”

Read more: RCMP officers who killed Nova Scotia gunman will not face criminal charges

Global News asked the RCMP if any police officers apologized for the shooting and if an explanation for what happened that morning was provided to the fire fighters. A spokesperson for the force declined to answer these questions.

"Our criminal operations officer has met with members of the Onslow-Belmont Fire Brigade in light of the distress the incident on April 19 may have caused," Cpl. Mark Skinner said. "RCMP has paid for damages to the Onslow fire hall, repairs to a fire truck and an electronic sign that was damaged as a result of the incident.”

Edited by gurn

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

They discharged their weapons in order to prevent further deaths or serious injuries," the report said.

B.S.      If you are shooting at someone you are trying to kill them.

so they began shooting at a cop, standing by his car and a citizen?

No mention of whether that cop,  standing there was pointing a gun at Joe Public or the at the cops that just began firing away.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

This is one of those cases where "celebrities" should stay away from politicizing these events. Abbot and Cruz already look like morons and all Bette did here was aim the criticism back at herself.

Maybe pick your spots and wait for situations where dozens aren't dead and millions aren't suffering....

Ricky Gervais said it best

"So if you do win an award tonight, don't use it as a platform to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and &^@# off, OK?"

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

"So if you do win an award tonight, don't use it as a platform to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and &^@# off, OK?"

To be clear, I don't mind celebrities using their status to push social issues, but they need to pick their spots and in this particular case, Midler's claim had no basis in reality.

She was basically promoting the old "Karma is a b!tch" routine to Cruz and Abbott, but forgetting that while she was taking non sequitur shots at politicians, people were freezing to death....

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just once I'd like to see someone thank Satan or thank some people and say 'but not you God....%$%# you!' 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be clear, I don't mind celebrities using their status to push social issues, but they need to pick their spots and in this particular case, Midler's claim had no basis in reality.

She was basically promoting the old "Karma is a b!tch" routine to Cruz and Abbott, but forgetting that while she was taking non sequitur shots at politicians, people were freezing to death....

Bette Midler has shown in recent years to not be the sharpest tool in the shed with some of her political comments. 

• Cheers 2

On 2/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, Ilunga said:

This idea that unless you can post a link to an article you lack cred shows what a sad state human interaction has come to.

I actually post links out of consideration really. Ideally it saves people the trouble of digging into a claim themselves.

Edited by Red Light Racicot
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Red Light Racicot said:

I actually post links out of consideration really. Ideally it saves people the trouble of digging into a claim themselves.

If you do not believe what I state just say so.

Then give me reasons why.

I stated I read an article that gave me certain information,I then verified that information elsewhere then shared it along with my personal views about stated information.

What makes a Murdoch  owned or for that mattered any news outlet more or even as credible as me ?

Also I am totally computer illiterate and do not have the ability to post links.