The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Also I am totally computer illiterate and do not have the ability to post links.

I'll use Canuck.com as an example: Move the mouse cursor to the address bar and right click with mouse.

A drop down menu will appear, chose copy; then put the mouse cursor inside an open reply box, hit right click .

When the drop down menu appears hit paste and this should happen

https://forum.canucks.com/

Almost the same, technique works to just "copy and paste" the entire article or parts of it. Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste.

"Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste."

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

I'll use Canuck.com as an example: Move the mouse cursor to the address bar and right click with mouse.

A drop down menu will appear, chose copy; then put the mouse cursor inside an open reply box, hit right click .

When the drop down menu appears hit paste and this should happen

https://forum.canucks.com/

Almost the same, technique works to just "copy and paste" the entire article or parts of it. Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste.

"Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste."

Thanks for the advice however I do not have an internet or a computer.

I post from a phone.

I used to be able to do what you have stated when I did have a computer, but now I cannot seem to post links no matter how hard I try to.

Also I trust you as I trust Rupert and Sharpie and Cerridwen and Bishopodan and King Heffy and Nuckin Futz and I am iron man and 4 Pete's sake,I could go on.

I don't need you to prove yourselves to me I just trust what you tell me.

And I do not give my trust away easily.

You guys have earnt it.

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm not looking to engage in battle with you, but I thought it would be important to share a couple of consderations related to your 3rd and 4th sentences above:

1. Posting the link to an article (and in many cases, quoting the article in part or in full) allows for a basis of discussion.  In many cases, people don't want to discuss something unless the text or the video or the sound clip being discussed is available for review, comparison, examination, and verification.  In reference to the bolded part of an earlier post of yours copied below, it's not so much about credibility - I think most posters know that everything has a degree of bias to it - it's (again) more about providing a basis of discussion.

2. In relation to the point above, and with reference to your 3rd sentence: to not share the source of your point of discussion, put in a personal view, and then to expect people to accept it at face value for further discussion with no reference and no supporting material for a context to base the discussion on, to put it politely - that process is generally considered hearsay; to put it more bluntly, it's what people call gossip.  

I think you'll find (or perhaps you've already found) that most of the well-mannered (and even some of the more passionate) posters here prefer to engage facts and materials that they can refer back to, rather than hearsay.  I have no bone to pick with you and I've always considered you one of the more decent posters, so I just thought I'd share my perspective of why the posting of links to verifiable articles/clips (misguided, off-base, or biased as they may be) is considered so important to members on this site.

Thanks for the input.

Refer to my reply to burn.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for the advice however I do not have an internet or a computer.

I post from a phone.

too funny.

I do have a computer, but do not have a cell phone. So can offer no technical advice.  :(

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those wacky French....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/europe/france-naked-protest-intl-scli/index.html

A French actress stripped naked at the country's prestigious César Awards to demand more support for the country's struggling arts industry, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

Actress Corinne Masiero, 57, took to the stage at France's equivalent of the Oscars wearing a fake donkey skin and a blood stained dress to present the award for the best costume, before undressing.
The actress had "no culture no future" written on her torso, and "give us our art back, Jean" on her back, in a direct address to French Prime Minister Jean Castex.
Cinemas and theaters have been closed since October 30, as announced two days earlier by French President Emmanuel Macron.
Protesters have this month occupied several large theaters across the country to demand "a reopening of cultural places, in compliance with health rules" according to a press release by students at the National Theater of Strasbourg.
On Thursday the government acknowledged that "the cultural industry is one of the sector that has been the most impacted by the covid-19 crisis," and announced an additional 20 million euros ($24 million) in support of the sector.
Other figures used the César ceremony to take aim at the restrictions.
"Without political will, we won't be able to preserve our system, which is so virtuous. My children -- who are 6 and 8, wonderful age -- can go to Zara but not the cinema... it's incomprehensible," said producer and director Stephane Demoustier, referring to the high street clothes chain.
France's coronavirus death toll reached 90,146 on Friday, according to figures released by the French public health agency, as the government raised the alarm over rising pressure on hospitals in the Paris region.
Another 316 deaths were reported in hospitals nationwide on Friday, compared with 265 on Thursday, figures showed.

Of course, there are no photos of her naked in the article, but I'm certain you could see her ass.....B)
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/justin-trudeau-canada-china-trial-michael-spavor-espionage

China up their usual routine... secret trial against one of the Michaels.

Canada needs to stop acting so nice and outright embarrass the CCP.  Instead of just complaining and objecting, just go out and take the high road by saying that China should reciprocate the courtesy given to Meng.  That Canada has acted in complete transparency, allowed consular services, access to legal assistance and behaved with honourably... that if China doesn't want to appear uncultured and uncivilized, that it should behave the same.  

CCP is all about "face"... might as throw some egg at it.  

• Vintage 2

Anyone catch the story about the idiot who decided to take his 2 year-old daughter into the elephant enclosure at San Diego Zoo, because he wanted to take a photo with them?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/elephant-charges-at-dad-toddler-seeking-photo-inside-zoo-enclosure/ar-BB1eQK1z?li=AAggNb9

A U.S. father is facing child endangerment charges after allegedly breaching an enclosure at the San Diego Zoo with his toddler, only to be chased out of the pen by a big, angry bull elephant.

Police say the man brought the two-year-old girl into the pen so he could get a photo with an elephant last Friday. Zoo officials say the suspect breached multiple barriers and "purposely and illegally trespassed" into the elephant habitat for the photo op, CBS News reports.

Video captured by a witness shows the father standing inside the elephant pen with his toddler held in one arm. He is seen standing with his back to the elephants, seemingly posing for a photo while onlookers watch in disbelief.

"Oh... oh!" the crowd can be heard saying, just before an African bull elephant turns and charges at the pair.

The man runs to the fence and tries to duck under with the girl. He drops her in the process, then gets through to the other side and pulls her through.

The elephant can be heard trumpeting loudly at him during his escape. The animal's ears are fully opened and pushed forward in a threatening manner.

Jose Manuel Navarrete, 25, was arrested on suspicion of child endangerment, San Diego County jail records show. He was being held on $100,000 bail and is slated to be arraigned on March 30.

No one was injured in the close encounter.

Luckily, no-one was injured, but wow, that is a special kind of stupid.:picard:

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading the comments section, after seeing this story on Faux News yesterday. Thanks to the idiot's last name, the entire discussion quickly devolved into an "illegal immigrant / "open borders" echo chamber....:rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone catch the story about the idiot who decided to take his 2 year-old daughter into the elephant enclosure at San Diego Zoo, because he wanted to take a photo with them?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/elephant-charges-at-dad-toddler-seeking-photo-inside-zoo-enclosure/ar-BB1eQK1z?li=AAggNb9

Luckily, no-one was injured, but wow, that is a special kind of stupid.:picard:

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading the comments section, after seeing this story on Faux News yesterday. Thanks to the idiot's last name, the entire discussion quickly devolved into an "illegal immigrant / "open borders" echo chamber....:rolleyes:

going between B.C. and Alberta, tourists would pull over in the national park to watch the elk.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tourist-jasper-national-park-elk-video

and the idiots from a couple years back down at the dock in Steveston

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

going between B.C. and Alberta, tourists would pull over in the national park to watch the elk.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tourist-jasper-national-park-elk-video

and the idiots from a couple years back down at the dock in Steveston

I remember this. Still, I wouldn't put it in the same category. These folks let their guard down and were unaware of the potential danger.

The moron in San Diego had to put a lot of effort into his stupidity. Total Wile E. Coyote moment....

On 3/19/2021 at 4:15 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

For something a little more closer to home...

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-china-forum-vancouver-uyghur-association-1.5954445

Sad to know that our government (facing the issue of the two Michaels) and our local university (who has lots of dealings with that company) have overtly supported this event.  Shows a complete lack of tact with these sort of sensitive matters.  :picard:  

(As the Cantonese saying goes, they're being so "7".)

I'm reading today that the trial of the second Michael is about to begin and once again, China is barring Canadian diplomats from attending:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/western-nations-protest-as-second-canadian-man-tried-in-china/ar-BB1ePB3M?li=AAggNb9

A second Canadian went on trial in Beijing on Monday after being detained for more than two years in apparent retaliation for the arrest in Vancouver of a top executive with Chinese telecom giant Huawei.

The trial of former diplomat Michael Kovrig on spying charges follows an initial hearing in the case of Canadian businessman Michael Spavor, who faces similar charges, in the northeastern city of Dandong on Friday.

Canadian diplomats were denied access to the trials with the explanation the hearings were being held behind closed doors because of alleged national security concerns. 

Diplomats and journalists showed up nonetheless to seek information and show support, a move that was applauded by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Monday as he again condemned the arrests. 

"We continue together to demand their release," Trudeau said in French during an event in Trois-Rivieres, Que.

"Their arbitrary detention is unacceptable and we will not give up until both are home."

Outside Beijing's No. 2 Intermediate Court, Jim Nickel, the Canadian Embassy’s deputy chief of mission, said he'd been told the trial had begun, but was barred from entry in what he complained was a violation of China's international and bilateral treaty obligations.  

“Michael Kovrig has been detained for more than two years now. He's been arbitrarily detained and now we see that the court process itself is not transparent," Nickel told reporters. 

Nickel said 26 countries had sent representatives to show their support, including the U.S., the U.K, Australia and many European nations. 

Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau also thanked them all for their efforts. 

“The eyes of the world are on these cases and proceedings," he said in a statement. 

U.S. Sen. Jim Risch, the ranking Republican on the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, added his own condemnation via his committee's Twitter account Monday.

"It is reprehensible that (China) is holding trials in secret against Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor," he wrote on Twitter.

"China should stop taking hostages and instead uphold basic human rights and rule of law. Both men should be released immediately."

The Chinese government has provided almost no information about the accusations against the two, but a newspaper run by the ruling Communist party alleges they collaborated in stealing state secrets and sending them abroad. 

No verdicts have been announced and it wasn't clear if additional hearings would be held

Petition · Revoke Beijing's right to host the 2022 Winter Olympics on human  rights ground · Change.org

• Vintage 3

I'd tell the Chinese government, we are not coming to the Olympics, and we will sign no more trade deals with your country.

Continue to behave poorly and we will start canceling trade deals already in effect. If your behaviour does not improve we will close our border to all your tourists.

If you still persist we will look at taking back all the property in Canada that is currently owned by Chinese citizens.

Next step- no more dual citizenship, either you are Canadian or Chinese, if they choose chinese then, expel them.

Will it hurt us?        Yes, but doing the right thing is not always easy.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd tell the Chinese government, we are not coming to the Olympics, and we will sign no more trade deals with your country.

Continue to behave poorly and we will start canceling trade deals already in effect. If your behaviour does not improve we will close our border to all your tourists.

If you still persist we will look at taking back all the property in Canada that is currently owned by Chinese citizens.

Next step- no more dual citizenship, either you are Canadian or Chinese, if they choose chinese then, expel them.

I'd feel bad for Canadian athletes (at least the amateur ones).....but as you say, the right thing is sometimes hard.

But I'd have an easier time supporting boycott and looking a Speed Skater in the eye, than I would opposing the boycott and looking the Kovrig or Spavor families in the eye....

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, gurn said:

But I don't want my iPhone to cost $9000 :(

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

20 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And then there are also issues surrounding how you define "Chinese citizens"

Very simply really, do they have a Chinese passsport, and are they willing to give it up and become Canadian? No, then they are Chinese and would be explelled.

Looks like they have their own version of Alberta drivers in the Middle East....

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/24/container-ship-blocks-suez-canal-causing-traffic-jam

A container ship heading to Rotterdam has ran aground in the Suez Canal, blocking other vessels from travelling through one of the world’s busiest waterways, according to shipping company GAC and shipping data on Refinitiv Eikon.

The 200,000-tonne vessel en route from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean ran aground at about 7:40am (05:40 GMT) on Tuesday after the ship suffered a blackout, GAC said on its website.

It added that 15 other ships in the northbound convoy behind the vessel were detained at anchorages waiting for the Canal to be cleared. A southbound convoy was also blocked, GAC said, while other ships in the canal were being diverted to an older channel.

The container ship, the Ever Given, is 400 metres long (1,312 feet), 59 metres wide (193 feet), and can carry up to 20,000 20-foot (6.09 metres) equivalent (TEU) shipping containers.

Suez Canal Is Blocked by Container Ship Causing Huge Traffic Jam - WSJ

Should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque.....B)

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Easier said then done.  Plus, don't expect that all Canadians of Chinese heritage to shun the actions of the ccp.  I know of a few people who are chest-thumping blind ccp-supporting nationalists who are also 2nd+ generation Canadians, who don't carry a Chinese passport. 

The proposed actions you suggested don't address the core issue, which is to force the ccp to change its behaviour of blatant human rights abuses and authoritarian bullying.  Going after a population (that is neither homogenous in its belief system nor its political stance) based on their extraction or heritage is misguided at best, and genocidal at worst.  We're supposed to be better than that.

I refuse to take the blame for correcting bad behaviour. That is on the country behaving badly.

If I refuse to do business with my wife beating neighnour, that is on him.