The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Bad use of the word invade, when discussing military actions, but a decent article otherwise.

That article is from an outlet owned by the Murdoch empire.

Apart from the actual facts the rest is just BS.

It's a shame people need the Media's interpretation of events rather than the people around them interpretation of the Media's coverage of events.

This idea that unless you can post a link to an article you lack cred shows what a sad state human interaction has come to.

Former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy has been sentenced to jail:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/europe/french-ex-president-nicolas-sarkozy-sentenced-jail-intl/index.html

A French court on Monday sentenced former President Nicolas Sarkozy to three years in prison for corruption and influence peddling, but suspended two years of the sentence.

President from 2007 to 2012, he was found guilty of trying to illegally obtain information from a senior magistrate in 2014 about an ongoing investigation into his campaign finances.
The judge said Sarkozy did not need to serve time in jail. He could serve the sentence by wearing an electronic bracelet at home.
The 66-year-old is the first president to have been sentenced to jail in France's modern history.
The Paris prosecutor had requested a two-year prison sentence and a two-year suspended sentence for Sarkozy and his co-defendants, his lawyer Thierry Herzog and former magistrate Gilbert Azibert.
Herzog and Azibert were found guilty and handed prison sentences.
After a lengthy investigation and legal entanglements, the trial began at the end of last year. The judge handed down Sarkozy's sentence Monday afternoon in front of a full courtroom.
Dubbed the "wiretapping case," it began in 2013 when investigators bugged phones belonging to Sarkozy and his lawyer Herzog, in the context of an inquiry against Sarkozy.
They discovered that the two men promised senior magistrate Gilbert Azibert a prestigious position in Monaco, in exchange for information about an ongoing inquiry into claims that Sarkozy had accepted illegal payments from L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt for his successful 2007 presidential campaign.

I hope the US DOJ is taking notes....B)

Remember the East Coast shooter in Newfoundland/Nova scotia?

This is a related story.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/watchdog-recommends-no-charges-against-rcmp-officers-who-shot-at-nova-scotia-fire-hall/ar-BB1eap6S?ocid=msedgntp

"Two RCMP officers who unleashed a hailstorm of semi-automatic gunfire at the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade hall last April while searching for the Nova Scotia gunman will not face criminal charges, according to a report completed by the province’s Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT).

The SIRT report said that the two officers who fired their weapons did so believing the person they were shooting at was the gunman. This is because he was dressed similarly to the gunman — wearing a yellow and orange reflective vest — and standing near a marked RCMP cruiser at the time of the shooting.

"The investigation found that based on everything the officers had seen and heard since coming on duty and what they had observed at the time, they had reasonable grounds to believe that the male was the killer and someone who would continue his killing rampage. They discharged their weapons in order to prevent further deaths or serious injuries," the report said.

"Accordingly, no criminal offence was committed, and no charges are warranted against either officer."

The officers, who were not named in the report, were carrying semi-automatic police carbines at the time of the shooting, according to two eyewitnesses and surveillance video from the fire hall reviewed by Global News.

The shots were fired in the direction of a fellow RCMP officer who was stationed at the fire hall and an employee of the regional Emergency Management Office (EMO).

Video: Fire hall in Onslow peppered with bullets

Both men were outside the front entrance of the building when the RCMP officers began firing, according to two witnesses and surveillance video reviewed by Global News. Two volunteer firefighters and a man whose son was killed by the gunman the night before were inside the fire hall at the time of the shooting.

The shooting occurred at 10:21 a.m. on April 19 during the search for ************** , who murdered 22 people before he was shot dead by two other RCMP officers later that morning.

People who say they witnessed the RCMP officers firing their weapons, and some of those who were fired upon, say they are still traumatized by the incident.

“On that day, we were terrorized for one hour by the RCMP,” said Darrell Currie, Onslow deputy fire chief and one of the men who was shot at by the RCMP officers during an interview before the report was released.

The shooting

Currie was at the fire hall on the morning of April 19 with Onslow fire chief Greg Muise setting up an evacuation centre for people affected by the killing spree.

The two men were inside with the father of a shooting victim when they heard a flurry of semi-automatic gunfire coming from outside the building.

Surveillance video from inside the building shows Currie hurriedly moving toward another part of the building to take cover once the shooting begins. The video also shows the EMO employee who was outside when the shooting started entering the building, staying low in an apparent attempt to avoid being shot.

Currie and Muise said that when the shooting started, they began flipping tables on their sides to make it more difficult for whoever was shooting at them to find them. They also hid behind stacked metal chairs.

At the time of the shooting, no one inside the building knew who was firing at them, Currie and Muise said. Both men said they assumed it was the gunman. They also said they were relieved to make it out of the fire hall alive.

“It was probably the absolute worst moment of my life,” Currie said.

“I don't think people understand the seriousness of or how close somebody was to dying that day.”

The surveillance video

Global News has reviewed surveillance video from inside and outside the fire hall taken on the day of the shooting.

The video does not show the RCMP officers firing their weapons. At the time of the shooting, the officers were out of range of the fire hall cameras, Currie and Muise said.

Two people who witnessed the shooting told Global News they saw two RCMP officers in an unmarked vehicle stop on the road outside the fire hall and begin firing.

The witnesses said the RCMP officers exited the vehicle after stopping and took up positions in the ditch and near a set of garbage cans. Both officers then started shooting in the direction of the fire hall, the witnesses said.

The surveillance video from outside the fire hall shows two uniformed RCMP officers approach the building with assault-style weapons drawn. One of the officers goes toward the side of the building, while the other officer goes toward the front entrance.

The officer who headed toward the side of the building continues to walk around the back of the fire hall, surveillance video shows. The officer’s weapon appears to be pointed toward the ground as he walks.

The video shows that this officer does not appear to look behind or inside any of the sheds, trailers or shipping containers located on the property. His sweep takes less than a minute, according to the video.

Meanwhile, the other officer who approached the front entrance of the building is seen entering the fire hall with the RCMP officer who was stationed there.

According to time stamps on the surveillance video, the officer with the assault-style firearm was inside the building for less than 20 seconds. The officer who was stationed at the fire hall was inside the building for 30 seconds.

Currie and Muise said none of the RCMP officers checked on them to see if they were injured.

Currie said he heard one of the officers ask if everyone inside was OK, but neither he nor Muise replied because, at the time, they didn’t know who was shooting at them and because they didn’t know who was asking if they were OK.

The two men said they waited an hour before exiting the building. They only did so because they received an update on Twitter that said the gunman was spotted in another part of the province.

No apology

Currie and Muise said the RCMP paid for the cost of the damage to the building and equipment, including a firetruck, caused by the shooting.

But, they said, no one from the force has offered an explanation for what happened that morning and no one has apologized for the trauma they experienced.

“They put us through hell,” Muise said. “I don't feel any better than I did when this happened.”

Read more: RCMP officers who killed Nova Scotia gunman will not face criminal charges

Global News asked the RCMP if any police officers apologized for the shooting and if an explanation for what happened that morning was provided to the fire fighters. A spokesperson for the force declined to answer these questions.

"Our criminal operations officer has met with members of the Onslow-Belmont Fire Brigade in light of the distress the incident on April 19 may have caused," Cpl. Mark Skinner said. "RCMP has paid for damages to the Onslow fire hall, repairs to a fire truck and an electronic sign that was damaged as a result of the incident.”

Edited by gurn
2 minutes ago, gurn said:

They discharged their weapons in order to prevent further deaths or serious injuries," the report said.

B.S.      If you are shooting at someone you are trying to kill them.

so they began shooting at a cop, standing by his car and a citizen?

No mention of whether that cop,  standing there was pointing a gun at Joe Public or the at the cops that just began firing away.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

This is one of those cases where "celebrities" should stay away from politicizing these events. Abbot and Cruz already look like morons and all Bette did here was aim the criticism back at herself.

Maybe pick your spots and wait for situations where dozens aren't dead and millions aren't suffering....

Ricky Gervais said it best

"So if you do win an award tonight, don't use it as a platform to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and &^@# off, OK?"

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

"So if you do win an award tonight, don't use it as a platform to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and &^@# off, OK?"

To be clear, I don't mind celebrities using their status to push social issues, but they need to pick their spots and in this particular case, Midler's claim had no basis in reality.

She was basically promoting the old "Karma is a b!tch" routine to Cruz and Abbott, but forgetting that while she was taking non sequitur shots at politicians, people were freezing to death....

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just once I'd like to see someone thank Satan or thank some people and say 'but not you God....%$%# you!' 

• Haha 2
  • Sedinery 1
56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be clear, I don't mind celebrities using their status to push social issues, but they need to pick their spots and in this particular case, Midler's claim had no basis in reality.

She was basically promoting the old "Karma is a b!tch" routine to Cruz and Abbott, but forgetting that while she was taking non sequitur shots at politicians, people were freezing to death....

Bette Midler has shown in recent years to not be the sharpest tool in the shed with some of her political comments. 

• Hydration 2
On 2/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, Ilunga said:

This idea that unless you can post a link to an article you lack cred shows what a sad state human interaction has come to.

I actually post links out of consideration really. Ideally it saves people the trouble of digging into a claim themselves.

Edited by Red Light Racicot
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Red Light Racicot said:

I actually post links out of consideration really. Ideally it saves people the trouble of digging into a claim themselves.

If you do not believe what I state just say so.

Then give me reasons why.

I stated I read an article that gave me certain information,I then verified that information elsewhere then shared it along with my personal views about stated information.

What makes a Murdoch  owned or for that mattered any news outlet more or even as credible as me ?

Also I am totally computer illiterate and do not have the ability to post links.

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Also I am totally computer illiterate and do not have the ability to post links.

I'll use Canuck.com as an example: Move the mouse cursor to the address bar and right click with mouse.

A drop down menu will appear, chose copy; then put the mouse cursor inside an open reply box, hit right click .

When the drop down menu appears hit paste and this should happen

https://forum.canucks.com/

Almost the same, technique works to just "copy and paste" the entire article or parts of it. Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste.

"Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste."

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

If you do not believe what I state just say so.

Then give me reasons why.

I stated I read an article that gave me certain information,I then verified that information elsewhere then shared it along with my personal views about stated information.

What makes a Murdoch  owned or for that mattered any news outlet more or even as credible as me ?

I'm not looking to engage in battle with you, but I thought it would be important to share a couple of consderations related to your 3rd and 4th sentences above:

1. Posting the link to an article (and in many cases, quoting the article in part or in full) allows for a basis of discussion.  In many cases, people don't want to discuss something unless the text or the video or the sound clip being discussed is available for review, comparison, examination, and verification.  In reference to the bolded part of an earlier post of yours copied below, it's not so much about credibility - I think most posters know that everything has a degree of bias to it - it's (again) more about providing a basis of discussion.

2. In relation to the point above, and with reference to your 3rd sentence: to not share the source of your point of discussion, put in a personal view, and then to expect people to accept it at face value for further discussion with no reference and no supporting material for a context to base the discussion on, to put it politely - that process is generally considered hearsay; to put it more bluntly, it's what people call gossip.  

I think you'll find (or perhaps you've already found) that most of the well-mannered (and even some of the more passionate) posters here prefer to engage facts and materials that they can refer back to, rather than hearsay.  I have no bone to pick with you and I've always considered you one of the more decent posters, so I just thought I'd share my perspective of why the posting of links to verifiable articles/clips (misguided, off-base, or biased as they may be) is considered so important to members on this site.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, Ilunga said:

That article is from an outlet owned by the Murdoch empire.

Apart from the actual facts the rest is just BS.

It's a shame people need the Media's interpretation of events rather than the people around them interpretation of the Media's coverage of events.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
5 hours ago, gurn said:

I'll use Canuck.com as an example: Move the mouse cursor to the address bar and right click with mouse.

A drop down menu will appear, chose copy; then put the mouse cursor inside an open reply box, hit right click .

When the drop down menu appears hit paste and this should happen

https://forum.canucks.com/

Almost the same, technique works to just "copy and paste" the entire article or parts of it. Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste.

"Put the cursor in front of what you wish to copy, LEFT click and drag the cursor over the words/paragraph you want copied. Hit copy in the drop down menu and move all those words to the place you want; hit right click and then hit paste."

Thanks for the advice however I do not have an internet or a computer.

I post from a phone.

I used to be able to do what you have stated when I did have a computer, but now I cannot seem to post links no matter how hard I try to.

Also I trust you as I trust Rupert and Sharpie and Cerridwen and Bishopodan and King Heffy and Nuckin Futz and I am iron man and 4 Pete's sake,I could go on.

I don't need you to prove yourselves to me I just trust what you tell me.

And I do not give my trust away easily.

You guys have earnt it.

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm not looking to engage in battle with you, but I thought it would be important to share a couple of consderations related to your 3rd and 4th sentences above:

1. Posting the link to an article (and in many cases, quoting the article in part or in full) allows for a basis of discussion.  In many cases, people don't want to discuss something unless the text or the video or the sound clip being discussed is available for review, comparison, examination, and verification.  In reference to the bolded part of an earlier post of yours copied below, it's not so much about credibility - I think most posters know that everything has a degree of bias to it - it's (again) more about providing a basis of discussion.

2. In relation to the point above, and with reference to your 3rd sentence: to not share the source of your point of discussion, put in a personal view, and then to expect people to accept it at face value for further discussion with no reference and no supporting material for a context to base the discussion on, to put it politely - that process is generally considered hearsay; to put it more bluntly, it's what people call gossip.  

I think you'll find (or perhaps you've already found) that most of the well-mannered (and even some of the more passionate) posters here prefer to engage facts and materials that they can refer back to, rather than hearsay.  I have no bone to pick with you and I've always considered you one of the more decent posters, so I just thought I'd share my perspective of why the posting of links to verifiable articles/clips (misguided, off-base, or biased as they may be) is considered so important to members on this site.

Thanks for the input.

Refer to my reply to burn.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for the advice however I do not have an internet or a computer.

I post from a phone.

too funny.

I do have a computer, but do not have a cell phone. So can offer no technical advice.  :(

• Hydration 1

Romeo for King President Governor-General!

Spoiler

Roméo Dallaire urges Canada to act on 'genocide' in China

'Self-interest' is getting in the way of Canada's obligation to defend human rights in China: Dallaire

Brennan MacDonald, Vassy Kapelos · CBC News · Posted: Mar 10, 2021 7:47 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

DIGITAL-DALLAIRE-FULL_7000kbps_1280x720_

WATCH: Full interview with retired Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire

3 hours ago
12:41Retired Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire told Power & Politics Wednesday that he agrees with the newly published report that concludes that China is conducting a genocide against its Uighur population. Dallaire urged the Canadian government to play a leading role in building a coalition of like-minded allies to respond to China's alleged human rights abuses. 12:41

Retired Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire is urging the Canadian government to act in response to the "genocide" being committed by the Chinese government against its Muslim minority Uighur population.

"When there is massive abuses of human rights by a state ... we all have the responsibility to go in and protect them. We signed up to it. The world signed up to it," Dallaire said Wednesday in an interview with CBC News Network's Power & Politics.

Dallaire, who led the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda during the 1994 genocide, said there are many avenues Canada and the international community could pursue to respond to China's actions, adding that the use of force must be a last resort.

Form a coalition to pressure China: Dallaire

Dallaire is urging the Canadian government to build a coalition of other like-minded middle powers to call out China over its abuses and build a pressure campaign to influence China's actions.

The comments from the former peacekeeping commander came just one day after an independent legal report concluded that the Chinese government is conducting an ongoing genocide in Xinjiang.

The Canadian government says it will be reviewing the report, but does not appear ready to declare that China is guilty of genocide.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government have been reluctant to use the word genocide, arguing that more evidence from independent investigations is needed.

Last month, the House of Commons voted to label China's persecution of Uighurs and other Turkic Muslims a genocide. 

A substantial majority of MPs — including most of the Liberals who participated — voted in favour of a Conservative motion that says China's actions in its western Xinjiang region meet the definition of genocide set out in the 1948 United Nations Genocide Convention.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Marc Garneau formally abstained from the vote, while Prime Minister Trudeau and the rest of his cabinet failed to show up for the vote.

Dallaire said "self-interest" is getting in the way of the government's obligation to act.

"Self-interest and a lack of wanting to take the risk of holding accountable great nations who do horrible things is still prevalent," said Dallaire. "You're either a great nation that believes in its values and in what its flag stands for, and what so many have died to defend it ... you're either that, or you're not.

"I think there is a need for a very reinforced diplomatic corps in this country to show the innovation, to show the gumption, to show the ability to go beyond the call of a nation that we are and ... punch way above our weight because we're not doing that enough now, if at all.

"I think we did in the past and I would love to see our diplomatic corps regain that stature and help guide the politicians down this road."

China has detained an estimated 1 to 2 million Uighurs in China in what the government calls 're-education centres.'

The Chinese government has denied accusations of genocide and human rights abuses. The Chinese ambassador to Canada has accused his country's critics of fabricating the "lie of the century."

WATCH: China releases report on forced relocation of Uighurs

china-uighur-report-petricic-030321.jpg

China accidentally releases report on forced relocation, retraining of Uighurs

7 days ago
2:00A Chinese government report, unintentionally made public, outlines how Uighurs and other minorities were forcibly relocated and retrained for new jobs in what’s considered an attempt to dilute their culture and reduce populations. 2:00

In October 2020, the House of Commons subcommittee on international human rights concluded that China is committing a genocide, saying that the Uighur population is facing mass detention, forced labour, pervasive state surveillance, physical, psychological and sexual abuse, forced sterilizations and forced abortions.

Given the ongoing human rights abuses against the Uighurs, Dallaire said Canada should not participate in the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. "There's no logic to it," he said. "There's not continuity."

"If in 1936, we had known the extent of how the Jewish community and other communities were being abused already by that regime, would we have given in to participating at an event that is supposed to provide a high-water mark for a nation in the face of the world? I think probably we wouldn't. So why are participating in this one?"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/romeo-dallaire-genocide-china-1.5944504

• Hydration 2

Those wacky French....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/europe/france-naked-protest-intl-scli/index.html

A French actress stripped naked at the country's prestigious César Awards to demand more support for the country's struggling arts industry, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

Actress Corinne Masiero, 57, took to the stage at France's equivalent of the Oscars wearing a fake donkey skin and a blood stained dress to present the award for the best costume, before undressing.
The actress had "no culture no future" written on her torso, and "give us our art back, Jean" on her back, in a direct address to French Prime Minister Jean Castex.
Cinemas and theaters have been closed since October 30, as announced two days earlier by French President Emmanuel Macron.
Protesters have this month occupied several large theaters across the country to demand "a reopening of cultural places, in compliance with health rules" according to a press release by students at the National Theater of Strasbourg.
On Thursday the government acknowledged that "the cultural industry is one of the sector that has been the most impacted by the covid-19 crisis," and announced an additional 20 million euros ($24 million) in support of the sector.
Other figures used the César ceremony to take aim at the restrictions.
"Without political will, we won't be able to preserve our system, which is so virtuous. My children -- who are 6 and 8, wonderful age -- can go to Zara but not the cinema... it's incomprehensible," said producer and director Stephane Demoustier, referring to the high street clothes chain.
France's coronavirus death toll reached 90,146 on Friday, according to figures released by the French public health agency, as the government raised the alarm over rising pressure on hospitals in the Paris region.
Another 316 deaths were reported in hospitals nationwide on Friday, compared with 265 on Thursday, figures showed.

Of course, there are no photos of her naked in the article, but I'm certain you could see her ass.....B)
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/justin-trudeau-canada-china-trial-michael-spavor-espionage

China up their usual routine... secret trial against one of the Michaels.

Canada needs to stop acting so nice and outright embarrass the CCP.  Instead of just complaining and objecting, just go out and take the high road by saying that China should reciprocate the courtesy given to Meng.  That Canada has acted in complete transparency, allowed consular services, access to legal assistance and behaved with honourably... that if China doesn't want to appear uncultured and uncivilized, that it should behave the same.  

CCP is all about "face"... might as throw some egg at it.  

• Vintage 2