The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Why be concerned?

What proof or evidence do you have that Canada can't protect the North?

My comment is purely from military point of view.
Canada’s Arctic defense suffered the most in the 1990s after the Cold War was over.

In early 2000s military started to try to get things back together, but it has been rough going.

During first Operation Bison in 08 basically when the weather got frigid, the unit that was sent there was only able to function in survival mode. Granted it was 50 bellow zero. I know in subsequent Bison mission they had to rent ski mobiles because soldiers didn’t have enough of those to patrol. Also more needs to be invested in ice breakers and possibly new submarines that can stay under ice for very long periods.

I don’t think that the Russians have territorial aspirations on Canada’s Arctic, just because they also have vast land and resources. China on the other hand is another story imo. TBH to get those troops to better level of preparedness in harsh environment, it will take tens of billions of dollars. Just 1 military style ice breaker is around 1 billion dollars.

Will add there are 15 new frigates coming, and any decade now we will get new planes.

Ground forces are also being built up.

Could we do more, yes. I'd like to see basically double of everything we've got.

But interest payments on our debt are taking money away from things that could use it.

• Upvote 1

Women in legislature campaigned to be allowed to wear sleeveless garb. They won their right to dress in that way in a professional setting.

Now a group of lawyers and students are taking a 'how to dress' seminar to task over its  ' dress for success for women'. 

All power to them. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-lawyers-association-refuses-to-cancel-damaging-women-s-fashion-seminar-1.5386012

I post this with a side thought, back to the sleeveless issue with the legislature....men cannot go sleeveless. Men's dress code is very restricted.

That is not equal. Men rule the world, I get that, but the future should do away with these gender specific ideas of dress. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Women in legislature campaigned to be allowed to wear sleeveless garb. They won their right to dress in that way in a professional setting.

Now a group of lawyers and students are taking a 'how to dress' seminar to task over its  ' dress for success for women'. 

All power to them. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-lawyers-association-refuses-to-cancel-damaging-women-s-fashion-seminar-1.5386012

I post this with a side thought, back to the sleeveless issue with the legislature....men cannot go sleeveless. Men's dress code is very restricted.

That is not equal. Men rule the world, I get that, but the future should do away with these gender specific ideas of dress. 

First step... do away with the 3 piece suit. 

• Cheers 1

Bernie Madoff has died in prison:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ponzi-schemer-bernie-madoff-dies-in-prison/ar-BB1fDVXc?li=AAggNb9

Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in a federal prison early Wednesday, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

Last year, Madoff's lawyers filed court papers to try to get the 82-year-old released from prison in the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he had suffered from end-stage renal disease and other chronic medical conditions. The request was denied.

Madoff admitted swindling thousands of clients out of billions of dollars in investments over decades.

A court-appointed trustee has recovered more than $13 billion of an estimated $17.5 billion that investors put into Madoff’s business. At the time of Madoff's arrest, fake account statements were telling clients they had holdings worth $60 billion.

Not much to say, other than "good riddance", I suppose.....

On 4/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, bishopshodan said:

All power to them. 

Brother we all should wear budgie smugglers !

Just like this POS 

Tony Abbott.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile, France has banned sex with children under 15 years old....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/europe/france-consent-age-intl/index.html

The French parliament on Thursday adopted legislation that characterizes sex with a child under the age of 15 as rape and punishable by up to 20 years in jail, bringing its penal code closer in line with many other Western nations.

While the age of consent was previously 15, prosecutors in France used to be required to prove sex was non-consensual to obtain a rape conviction.
"This is an historic law for our children and our society," Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti told the National Assembly.
"No adult aggressor will be able to claim the consent of a minor younger than 15 years old."
The vote in favor of the bill was unanimous at its final reading, the Assembly said on Twitter.

I guess we now know where Woody Allen won't be going for his next vacay.....

On 4/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Agreed - it should be onesies: all day, every day!  :bigblush:

image.png.f103a98af5568a7fefdb8e4f3a85b7b9.png

f, that. somehow, someway even if your careful, that hood is going to end up in the toilet while your doing your buisness.

unless its got one of those rear compartment doors.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, CBH1926 said:

So this guy commits rape, giving this poor woman worst case of anal injuries that the hospital has seen.

Out of prison in 1 year, oh Canada, your justice system system should be re named to injustice system because it sucks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sexual-assault-deportation-1.5977578

he was released to be deported. hooray?

Elephants be like.."Hey  Rhinos, we got yer back"

Elephants ‘trample’ suspected poacher to death in South Africa

https://globalnews.ca/news/7769593/elephants-trample-poacher-kill-south-africa/

The man was one of three suspected rhino poachers...

...The rangers pursued the three suspects with dogs and air support. They eventually caught up with one who said his accomplice had run into a herd of breeding elephants, but he did not know what happened after that.

...Rangers went to the spot where the man was last seen and found that he had been “badly trampled,” SANParks said.

Not sure if people are following this story, but an absolute tragedy is unfolding in the waters off Java.....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/asia/missing-indonesian-submarine-oxygen-intl/index.html

Concerns were mounting Thursday over the fate of an Indonesian submarine that went missing with 53 crew members on board, as a military official warned the vessel would run out of oxygen in three days.

Admiral Yudo Margono, the chief of staff of the Indonesian Navy, said the submarine has sufficient oxygen for 72 hours, based on calculations from when the vessel lost contact during a military exercise on Wednesday.
The German-made KRI Nanggala-402 asked for permission to dive, or submerge, at 3 a.m. local time Wednesday before losing contact, authorities said. Margono said the submarine had just fired two torpedoes -- one with real ammunition and another with a practice warhead -- as part of training exercises in the Bali Strait, a stretch of water between the islands of Java and Bali that connects to the Indian Ocean and Bali Sea.
Answering questions on the submarine's condition before participating in the war simulation, Margono said the KRI Nanggala-402 and all of its crew are well prepared. It last docked for maintenance in 2020 in Surabaya, a port city on the island of Java, he said.
The military suspects that an oil spill seen in aerial surveillance near the dive point on Wednesday came from the craft. Margono said the Navy also found one object at the depth of 50-100 meters (approximately 164-328 feet) that was magnetic, meaning it likely came from the submarine.
Margono said there are two possibilities to explain the oil spill spotted on the surface: the submarine tank could be leaking because it dove too deep, or the submarine released fluid on board in an attempt to rise to the surface.
Indonesian Navy spokesman First Adm. Julius Widjojono said that the submarine has the capability to dive up to 500 meters (approximately 1,640 feet) below sea level, but authorities estimate it went 100-200 meters below that depth.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Kursk disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

Just a horrible way to die. I just hope that the Indonesian military can rescue these crew members before they suffer the same fate.

58 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure if people are following this story, but an absolute tragedy is unfolding in the waters off Java.....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/asia/missing-indonesian-submarine-oxygen-intl/index.html

The first thing that comes to mind is the Kursk disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

Just a horrible way to die. I just hope that the Indonesian military can rescue these crew members before they suffer the same fate.

THe oil slick would indicate a rupture. It is likely those poor sailors died almost instantly.

THe courage and mindset needed to deliberately dive to 500 plus feet depth, in nothing more than some large fancy welded oil drums astounds me.

My condolences to the families, and mariners everywhere.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

THe oil slick would indicate a rupture. It is likely those poor sailors died almost instantly.

THe courage and mindset needed to deliberately dive to 500 plus feet depth, in nothing more than some large fancy welded oil drums astounds me.

My condolences to the families, and mariners everywhere.

I think we sometimes fail to realize just how dangerous the sea can be. The Edmund Fitzgerald was a huge freighter, but bad weather and Lake Superior weren't impressed.

Where I live, commercial fishing used to be a huge part of the local fabric. Longshoring still is. Even though I'm not (and never have been) involved in the fishing or transport businesses, I personally knew about a dozen people who lost their lives in water related accidents.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think we sometimes fail to realize just how dangerous the sea can be. The Edmund Fitzgerald was a huge freighter, but bad weather and Lake Superior weren't impressed.

Where I live, commercial fishing used to be a huge part of the local fabric. Longshoring still is. Even though I'm not (and never have been) involved in the fishing or transport businesses, I personally knew about a dozen people who lost their lives in water related accidents.

Worst I've sailed in was in B.C. waters, around Alert Bay, blowing 63 knots(72.5 mph or 116.5 klicks); same night the gas dock INSIDE Westiew Harbour got torn up by the wind and waves. IF not that day, then the time after leaving Swartz Bay on the Queen Of Saanich, had to turn around as it was too rough for her, despite her 426 foot lenght.

In Jervis inlet, by the mouth of Sechelt inlet, we were tasked with doing a search for 2 missing Coast Gaurd auxillary trainees. 4 people set out to do training, but their zodiac capsized, and only two made it to the surface. 2 ladies, training to help mariners, perished.

• Huggy Bear 1