The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The US has slavery as it's so-called "original sin"....and we have this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/remains-of-215-children-found-at-former-residential-school-in-british-columbia/ar-AAKsKoo?li=AAggNb9

Yet another chapter in one of the most shameful stories in Canadian history....

Reading about slavery in Canada I found some interesting stories and stats that often get overlooked.
For example first black slave arrived in New France in 1629.

When British took over about 7% of the population of NF were slaves, mostly Panis and some Africans.

Also in 1777 slaves from Canada fled to Vermont which has abolished slavery.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You know, when I think of the best "hiding" place for my guns, the cushions of my sofa always comes to mind. :picard:

It’s a tragedy what happened and hopefully this kid pulls through.

When you look at the mug shots, your typical gang banging, drug dealing, gun packing  trash.

No sane woman would bring her kids around people like this.

• Vintage 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, CBH1926 said:

It’s a tragedy what happened and hopefully this kid pulls through.

When you look at the mug shots, your typical gang banging, drug dealing, gun packing  trash.

No sane woman would bring her kids around people like this.

With little to no common sense regarding firearms safety and storage. As you said, utter trash.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

With little to know common sense regarding firearms safety and storage. As you said, utter trash.

TBH, large population of gun owners down here, do not give guns respect it deserves.

On the other hand, razor blades refills for Gillette are under lock and key at Walgreens.

Whilst deadly weapon is tucked in some bros saggy pants, waiting to fall out and go off.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Ce qui est ça phrase à nouveau?  Ah oui, "Rouge à lèvres sur un cochon"  :picard:

Hide contents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/xi-china-spavor-kovrig-1.6052192

Just because you show a kinder face on the world stage doesn't mean that the atrocities and authoritarian, human-rights-breaking ways have changed.  And anyone who falls for superficial stylistic changes without confirming the substance itself has changed as well is a fool who doesn't deserve to lead their country/nation/peoples.

I don’t care if Xi starts cutting me checks for $5K on the first of every month, *** ‘em. 

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even....:sadno:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/warrant-mom-made-daughter-bury-sister-4-in-backyard/ar-AALbzqd?li=AAggFp5

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The mother of a 4-year-old girl whose remains were found at a North Carolina home last month forced her 13-year-old daughter to help bury her sister in the backyard, according to a search warrant.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police charged Malikah Bennett, 31, with first-degree murder, felony child abuse, inflicting physical injury and felony concealing a death, The Charlotte Observer reported. Bennett also has three pending misdemeanor child abuse charges from February 2020, according to a search of public records.

Police also arrested and charged Bennett’s mother, Tammy Taylor Moffett, 53, with concealing a death and accessory to murder after the fact, her arrest warrant said.

Officers found the body of Miegellic “Jelli” Young buried outside her mother’s home in Charlotte. The warrant accuses Miegellic’s mother of forcing her to stand in a laundry room for three days as punishment for soiling her pants. She eventually became too weak to stand, fell out the back door and hit her head, the 13-year-old sister told police. The girl told police that Bennett performed CPR on the child, but she died.

Bennett placed Miegellic's body in two black plastic trash bags in the trunk of an SUV, where she remained for five days until the smell became bad, the warrant said. Bennett then drove the SUV to go buy a shovel, and after digging the hole, made the 13-year-old pick up her sister’s body, place it in the ground and cover it with dirt, the search warrant said.

WTF is wrong with some people?

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:15 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I am sitting with my son in my lap reading this and it actually brought tears.

I know this $#@$ goes down however I can never get my head around it.

What adults do to adults is bad enough but acts like this against children ?

And your own Children 

• Upvote 1

Sesame Street is keeping up with the times:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/19/us/sesame-street-gay-dads-trnd/index.html

There are some new faces on “Sesame Street” and they’re bringing a new layer of diversity to the decades-old children’s show.

The show dropped its Family Day episode Thursday on HBO Max (which, like CNN, is owned by WarnerMedia) and YouTube. The episode featured a family with two gay dads.

On the episode, Nina introduces her brother and his husband, played by Chris Costa and Alex Weisman, as well as their daughter, played by Olivia Perez, to Elmo and his friends as they celebrate Family Day.

The milestone for the show comes during Pride Month, which Alan Muraoka, known as Alan on “Sesame Street,” acknowledged in a Facebook post.

“Sesame Street has always been a welcoming place of diversity and inclusion. So I’m so excited to introduce Nina’s Brother Dave, his husband Frank, and their daughter Mia to our sunny street,” Muraoka, who co-directed the episode, wrote. “Love is love, and we are so happy to add this special family to our Sesame family.”

LGBTQ advocates celebrated the inclusion.

Good on them, especially in honor of Pride Month.....but it also raises a question:

I guess the Ernie - Bert rumors are untrue? :unsure:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

From the article:

The U.S. Navy has started a series of tests on its newest and most advanced aircraft carrier by detonating powerful explosions to determine whether the ship is ready for war. The first of the tests, which are known as Full Ship Shock Trials, occurred Friday when the Navy set off a giant explosive event near the USS Gerald R. Ford, according to a statement.

Wonder if any of the sailors on board were wondering:  "What if it's not ready for war?"

I would be.

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

Wonder if any of the sailors on board were wondering:  "What if it's not ready for war?"

I would be.

Yeah,

Don't like it. wonder if they thought it was impressive?  Must have costs a lot of money that could be used elsewhere.

Now they have to spend even more for any repairing the ship might need.

And, more tests to come.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1