The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think we sometimes fail to realize just how dangerous the sea can be. The Edmund Fitzgerald was a huge freighter, but bad weather and Lake Superior weren't impressed.

Where I live, commercial fishing used to be a huge part of the local fabric. Longshoring still is. Even though I'm not (and never have been) involved in the fishing or transport businesses, I personally knew about a dozen people who lost their lives in water related accidents.

Worst I've sailed in was in B.C. waters, around Alert Bay, blowing 63 knots(72.5 mph or 116.5 klicks); same night the gas dock INSIDE Westiew Harbour got torn up by the wind and waves. IF not that day, then the time after leaving Swartz Bay on the Queen Of Saanich, had to turn around as it was too rough for her, despite her 426 foot lenght.

In Jervis inlet, by the mouth of Sechelt inlet, we were tasked with doing a search for 2 missing Coast Gaurd auxillary trainees. 4 people set out to do training, but their zodiac capsized, and only two made it to the surface. 2 ladies, training to help mariners, perished.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Worst I've sailed in was in B.C. waters, around Alert Bay, blowing 63 knots(72.5 mph or 116.5 klicks); same night the gas dock INSIDE Westiew Harbour got torn up by the wind and waves. IF not that day, then the time after leaving Swartz Bay on the Queen Of Saanich, had to turn around as it was too rough for her, despite her 426 foot lenght.

In Jervis inlet, by the mouth of Sechelt inlet, we were tasked with doing a search for 2 missing Coast Gaurd auxillary trainees. 4 people set out to do training, but their zodiac capsized, and only two made it to the surface. 2 ladies, training to help mariners, perished.

Sometimes these stories have a happy ending:

https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Les_Palmer.php

Every call different, every call answered.

One outstanding rescue involved the Larissa – a 45 foot Canadian shrimp boat that capsized in Grenville Channel with two crew aboard during a ferocious storm on January 27th 2004. The two men managed to scramble onto the rolling hull, grab and activate the EPIRB ( emergency position indicating radio beacon ) and tumble into their inflatable liferaft. The waves in the channel were upwards of 15 feet in height and flipped the raft over. One man dove into the water to right it and became tangled in the lines trailing from it. In desperation, he dropped his pants to free himself, got back into the flimsy craft and somehow, it was pushed ashore. Thus began a seven hour ordeal for the two as they huddled in minus degree temperatures, poorly clad and without adequate shelter as they had pulled the raft on shore and sought some slight refuge in it.

The EPIRB signal was picked up by the non-geostationary international satellite system Cospas–Sarsat dedicated to EPIRB activation detection. The alert was passed to the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Esquimalt BC and they tasked the Point Henry. The Henry departed Prince Rupert in a snowy blizzard facing ferocious winds. Visibility and sea conditions were at their worst. During their difficult transit, a passing freighter called to report they had seen what might have been a flashlight blinking from shore on the Pitt Island side of the narrow channel. It took three hours of slogging through deteriorating weather for the Henry to reach the men’s location. And that was only the beginning of the rescue epic that earned Les Palmer the Cross of Valour, only the 20th Canadian to receive such an honour for bravery. His efforts: landing the FRC at the only boat-accessible beach a half mile from the suffering crewmen, crawling through waist-deep snow and dealing with extreme freezing temperatures to give aid and affect rescue under such trying conditions truly deserves national recognition. The City of Prince Rupert also gave commendations to the crew of Point Henry for their combined exemplary display of selflessness and determination.

I know Les Palmer and I have to say that the thing that really strikes me about this story is that hardly anyone knows about it. (He isn't the kind of guy who goes around talking about himself)

Les is quite the athlete (which how I know him) but when I talk to people on the football or baseball fields, almost none of them know this story. His two sons, also terrific athletes were actually surprised that I knew about it.

• Like 1

Wow :blink:.....this guy is an Uber POS.....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/28/australia/pusey-sentencing-australia-scli-intl/index.html

An Australian court has jailed a man for 10 months after he drove dangerously and then filmed and mocked dying police officers at the scene of a deadly crash.

Richard Pusey was charged with reckless driving, possession of drugs and outraging public decency through his subsequent actions, which the sentencing judge in Victoria's county court described Wednesday as "heartless, cruel and disgraceful."

There was no trial after Pusey pleaded guilty last month to all three charges. He attended Wednesday's sentencing via video link from prison.
The 42-year-old was speeding on a Melbourne freeway in his Porsche 911 coupé in April last year when police officers Lynette Taylor and Glen Humphris pulled him over, according to court sentencing documents. Two other police officers, Kevin King and Josh Prestney, arrived at the scene shortly after.

Pusey was under the influence of cannabis and MDMA at the time, according to the documents.
All four officers stood outside their vehicles in the emergency lane while Pusey urinated on the side of the freeway. A truck towing a trailer veered into the lane and struck the police officers, fatally injuring them.
After the collision, Judge Trevor Wraight said in his sentencing, Pusey purposefully walked around the crash site filming and taking photographs of the dying or dead officers while giving a running commentary and zooming in on their injuries.
Pusey's phone was seized by investigators and the video, which lasted more than a minute, showed one officer on Pusey's Porsche as her arm hung through his sunroof after the truck had crushed her legs. Another officer's leg was jammed between the truck's bullbar and his sports car.
As other witnesses tried to help the injured, Pusey could be heard in the video saying that this was "justice" and that he'd have to get an Uber home, Judge Wraight added.
Pusey did not help the victims himself, and instead began a second, longer recording, zooming in on an officer's name tag as other witnesses asked him to stop what he was doing.

He continued to focus on the officers' injuries even after other witnesses had covered some of the bodies in blankets, the judge said.
Pusey fled the scene and later showed the video footage to staff at a drugstore and general practitioner's office, before sending photographs to three people.

The former finance broker had a criminal history that included numerous driving offenses, according to court documents.

In his sentencing remarks, Judge Wraight stressed that Pusey did not cause the deaths of the four police officers, but that what he did was "extremely insensitive and heartless."

Even though he didn't kill the officers....somehow 10 months just seems way too lenient for this scumbag....<_<

Although the language is somewhat salty, I applaud the Filipino Foreign Secretary for his direct approach to dealing with a bully.

Spoiler

Philippines’ top diplomat swears at China on Twitter, tells Beijing to leave disputed waters

by AFP07:51, 3 MAY 2021

The Philippines’ top diplomat unambiguously told Beijing where to go on Monday, as the government insisted Chinese vessels were still illegally lingering in the disputed South China Sea.

“China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see… O… GET THE &^@# OUT,” Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin tweeted.

The latest spat between Manila and Beijing over the resource-rich waters — which China claims almost entirely — flared up in March after hundreds of Chinese boats were spotted inside the Philippines’ Exclusive Economic Zone.

China has refused repeated calls from the Philippines to withdraw the boats, and tensions have intensified as Manila steps up maritime patrols in the area.

Locsin frequently uses strong language on Twitter and defended his latest outburst by saying: “Usual suave diplomatic speak gets nothing done.” 

He also likened China to “an ugly oaf forcing your attentions on a handsome guy who wants to be a friend”.

The order came as his foreign affairs department accused China’s coastguard of “belligerent actions” against Filipino boats involved in maritime drills near the contested Scarborough Shoal.

south china sea islands Scarborough Shoal
Scarborough Shoal. Photo: Googlemaps.

China-controlled Scarborough is one of the region’s richest fishing grounds and a flashpoint between the two countries, which have rival claims.

The department said it has lodged a diplomatic protest over the Chinese vessels’ actions towards the Southeast Asian country’s coastguard during patrols and training exercises near the reef last month.

The department said the presence of the Chinese boats was a “blatant infringement of Philippine sovereignty”.

China’s embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

Scarborough Shoal is 240 kilometres (150 miles) west of the Philippines’ main island of Luzon.

China seized it in 2012 and has subsequently ignored a 2016 international tribunal decision that declared its historical claim over most of the South China Sea to be without basis.

Once-frosty ties between the two countries had warmed under President Rodrigo Duterte, who set aside the ruling in exchange for promises of trade and investment that critics say have largely not materialised.

Facing growing domestic pressure to take a harder line, Duterte said last week the Philippine maritime patrols would continue, insisting its sovereignty over the waters was not negotiable.

For reference, this was the tweet:

Spoiler

Article: https://hongkongfp.com/2021/05/03/philippines-top-diplomat-swears-at-china-on-twitter-tells-beijing-to-leave-disputed-waters/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Spoiler

Young males being disappeared by Myanmar security forces

'They think if they can kill off the boys and young men, then they can kill off the revolution'

The Associated Press · Posted: May 05, 2021 3:46 PM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

anti-coup-protesters-in-yangon-myanmar-o
Anti-coup protesters flash the pro-democracy three-finger salute during a rally in Yangon, Myanmar on Tuesday. The ruling junta continues to face a challenge in the cities and towns of Myanmar, where street protests are still being held more than three months after it seized power. (The Associated Press)

Myanmar's security forces moved in and the street lamps went black.

House after house, people shut off their lights.

Huddled inside her Yangon home, 19-year-old Shwe dared to peek out her window. A flashlight shone back, and a man's voice ordered her not to look.

Two gunshots rang out. Then a man's scream.

When the military's trucks finally rolled away, Shwe and her family emerged to look for her 15-year-old brother.

"I could feel my blood thumping," she says. "I had a feeling that he might be taken."

anti-coup-protesters-burn-tires-in-myanm
Anti-coup protesters burn tires and chant slogans during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon on Monday. (The Associated Press)

Across Myanmar, security forces are arresting and forcibly disappearing thousands of people, especially boys and young men, in a sweeping bid to crush a three-month uprising against a military takeover.

In most cases, the families of those taken don't know where they are.

UNICEF, the UN children's agency, is aware of around 1,000 cases of children or young people who have been arbitrarily arrested and detained.

It is a technique the military has long used to instill fear and crush pro-democracy movements.

The boys and young men are taken from homes, businesses and streets.

Some end up dead. Many are imprisoned and sometimes tortured. Many more are missing.

"We've definitely moved into a situation of mass enforced disappearances," says Matthew Smith, co-founder of the human rights group Fortify Rights, which has collected evidence of detainees being killed in custody.

blood-stained-floor-of-auto-body-shop-in
This March 21, 2021 photo obtained by The Associated Press shows blood stains left behind following a raid by Myanmar's security forces on an auto body shop in Yangon. (The Associated Press)

Frantic search

The AP is withholding Shwe's full name to protect her from retaliation by the military.

The autobody shop in Shwe's neighbourhood was a regular hangout for local boys.

On the night of March 21, her brother had gone there to chill out like he usually did.

As Shwe approached the shop, she saw it had been ransacked. Frantic, she and her father scoured the building for any sign of their beloved boy.

But he was gone, and the floor was covered in blood.

Thousands detained

Ever since Myanmar's military seized control in February, faces of the missing have flooded the internet.

Recently, photos of young people detained by security forces also have begun circulating online and on military-controlled television, their faces bloodied, with clear markings of beatings and possible torture.

At least 3,500 people have been detained since the military takeover began, more than three-quarters of whom are male, according to an analysis of data collected by the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP), which monitors deaths and arrests.

Of the 419 men whose ages were recorded in the group's database, nearly two-thirds are under age 30, and 78 are teenagers.

Nearly 2,700 of the detainees are being held at undisclosed locations, an AAPP spokesman said.

"The military are trying to turn civilians, striking workers, and children into enemies," said Ko Bo Kyi, AAPP's joint secretary.

buddhist-monk-among-a-group-of-anti-coup
A Buddhist monk joins anti-coup protesters during a demonstration in Yangon on April 27. (The Associated Press)

"They think if they can kill off the boys and young men, then they can kill off the revolution."

After receiving questions from The Associated Press, the military, known as the Tatmadaw, called a Zoom news conference, during which it dubbed the AAPP a "baseless organization," suggested its data is inaccurate and denied security forces are targeting young men.

"The security forces are not arresting based on genders and ages," said Capt. Aye Thazin Myint, a military spokesperson.

"They are only detaining anyone who is rioting, protesting, causing unrest, or any actions along those lines."

Some of those snatched by security forces were protesting. Some have links to the military's rival political party. Others are taken for no discernable reason.

Neighbours keep watch

Across the country, residents regularly take turns holding night watches, banging pots and pans or yelling to neighbours if soldiers or police are spotted.

"I am more afraid of being arrested than getting shot," says one 29-year-old man who was arrested, beaten and later released, and who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid retribution.

Back in Yangon, Shwe tried to convince herself the blood on the floor of the shop wasn't her brother's.

He and three other young men from the shop had been hauled away. Neighbours said security forces may have targeted the boys because they spotted someone inside the shop with a steel dart slingshot.

At 2 a.m., a police officer called to say Shwe's brother was at a military hospital and had been shot in the hand.

Shwe's family told the police that her brother was underage. On March 27, they learned that her brother and the three others had been charged with possession of weapons, and sentenced to three years in prison.

They were allowed one brief phone call with him when he was first hospitalized. Her brother told their anguished mother: "I am OK."

Shwe worries for her brother, as well as for their mother, who cries and cries, and for their father, who aches for his only son.

For now, they can do little more than wait and hope: That he won't be beaten. That he will get a pardon. That the people of Myanmar will soon feel safe again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/myanmar-military-disappearing-young-men-1.6014802

Scary $&!#, man.  I'm reminded of the protestors in HK who were found "suicided" - either in the water or from the housing complexes, and were likely the work of the police or even covert agents of the ccp operating in HK, meant to silence and intimidate the pro-democracy protestors - but this is orders of magnitude more overt and brutal than that, even if it's under the cover of night.

• Sad 2

On 4/29/2021 at 5:04 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/28/australia/pusey-sentencing-australia-scli-intl/index.html

Even though he didn't kill the officers....somehow 10 months just seems way too lenient for this scumbag....<_<

He spoke to the female officer as she lay dying,"there you go amazing,absolutely amazing,all I wanted to do was go home and have my sushi and now you have $#@$@# my @#$@$#@ car".

He will be out in a few weeks,most of his time has been served already.

However he is facing other chargers for unrelated events.

Sad news out of Kazan, Russia:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/school-shooting-in-russia-kills-9-people-suspect-arrested/ar-BB1gBDGb?li=AAggXBV

A gunman launched an attack on a school in the Russian city of Kazan that left at least nine people dead Tuesday — including seven youngsters — and sent students running out of the building as smoke poured from one of the windows.

At least 21 others were hospitalized, six in extremely grave condition, authorities said.

The attacker, identified only as a 19-year-old, was arrested, officials said. They gave no immediate details on a motive.

But Russian media said the gunman was a former student at the school who called himself “a god” on his account on the messaging app Telegram and promised to “kill a large amount of biomass” on the morning of the shooting.

Attacks on schools are rare in Russia, and President Vladimir Putin reacted by ordering the head of the country's National Guard to revise regulations on the types of weapons allowed for civilian use.

Four boys and three girls, all eighth-graders, died, as well as a teacher and another school employee, said Rustam Minnikhanov, governor of the Tatarstan republic, where Kazan is the capital.

Footage released by Russian media showed students dressed in black and white running out of the building. Another video depicted shattered windows, a stream of smoke coming out of one, and the sound of gunfire. Dozens of ambulances lined up at the entrance.

Russian media said while some students were able to escape, others were trapped inside during the ordeal.

“The terrorist has been arrested, 19 years old. A firearm is registered in his name. Other accomplices haven’t been established. An investigation is underway,” Minnikhanov said.

Authorities said the 21 hospitalized included 18 children.

Authorities announced a day of mourning on Wednesday and canceled all classes in Kazan schools. Authorities tightened security at all schools in the city of about 1.2 million people, 430 miles (700 kilometers) east of Moscow.

Sounds like an Adam Lanza clone....

On 4/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

He has fitting last name for sure, Pusey suits him quite well imo.

Even the guy that killed 4 cops got only 22 years in prison, he was high on drugs.

Probably be out in 10 or less.

Regarding these Middle East issues, there is interesting analysis on the myriad problems with today's presentation from "The Duran"(episode 969).

As they frequently present viewpoints contrary to the mainstream western-propaganda, part of me wonders how much longer Youtube will allow independent voices, like the two Alexes? Mercouris's daily channel might be(for me) the best thing going on Utube. Guy's analysis is clear, practical, & a lesson in geopolitical-history.

Ooooooooooops.......someone has egg on their face.....:picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/doctors-amputate-the-wrong-leg-of-an-elderly-man-in-austria-in-tragic-mistake/ar-AAKf5eB?li=AAggNb9

Doctors at an Austrian hospital amputated the wrong leg of an elderly man, they said Thursday, in a "tragic mistake."

The 82-year-old patient was supposed to have his left leg removed on Tuesday, but doctors instead amputated his right leg above the knee, which the hospital, the Freistadt Clinic in northern Austria, blamed on "human error."

"We are deeply shocked that on Tuesday, May 18, despite quality assurance standards, the wrong leg of an 82-year old man ... was amputated," the clinic said in a statement, Reuters reported.

The man is suffering from "numerous medical conditions," the hospital said, and past sicknesses caused the need for amputation.

The hospital said that error began before the operation, when a worker incorrectly marked his right leg as the one to operate on. They realized the issue two days after the operation.

"It was [Thursday] morning, in the course of the standard wound dressing change, that the tragic mistake, caused by human error, was discovered," the hospital said, according to CNN.

PEOPLE has contacted the Freistadt Clinic for further comment.

I was going to say something about an impending lawsuit and then something about "not a leg to stand on", but that's a bit too easy.....

....oh...and also...Too soon? :unsure:

Heroes exist.

The courage, the speed in how he reacts, no regard for his own well being.. he saved this woman.

CBC freelance camera operator intervenes in New York subway stabbing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cbc-camera-operator-intervenes-stabbing-new-york-1.6037196

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 year old shoots 2 year old- with a gun LEFT "HIDDEN" IN A SOFA .     :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/toddler-finds-gun-in-sofa-accidentally-shoots-young-sister/ar-AAKhcMv?ocid=msedgdhp

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — A 3-year-old boy accidentally shot his 2-year-old sister after finding a gun that had been hidden between sofa cushions by a family friend, Florida authorities said Saturday.

The girl was in “exceptionally" critical condition, said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd at a news conference.

After the girl was shot, three men in the home at the time scooped up the children and jumped in a car to drive to a hospital. On their way, they got into a crash with another vehicle, causing several injuries. The girl and one of the adults was taken to the hospital by a good Samaritan who had stopped to offer assistance after the crash, Judd said.

The gun was brought into the Lakeland, Florida, home by one of three men who had gathered Friday night to watch TV, authorities said.

Kevonte' Wilson, 23, told investigators he had placed the gun between sofa cushions so that it would be hidden from the children. He was arrested on charges of failing to safely store a firearm, carrying a concealed firearm and possession of marijuana. He could face other counts, Judd said.

The home's owner, Chad Berrien, 24, was charged with possession of marijuana and maintaining a house for drug use, the sheriff said.

Judd said a Florida crime victim's privacy law prevented him from saying how the children were related to the adults in the home. An online court docket showed no cases for either Wilson or Berrien on Saturday, so it was unknown if they had attorneys who could comment.

Judd said everyone was cooperating with detectives.

The boy was taken by the Department of Children and Families and placed in the home of his grandmother.

“There was no reason to think that this was an intentional act," Judd said. “He was a baby playing with what he saw as some kind of toy."

What are people's thoughts on this story? From what I can tell, the Belarusian military hijacked an Irish Airliner, so they could arrest a political dissident:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/journalist-arrested-after-belarus-military-forces-ryanair-flight-to-land/ar-AAKimXI?li=AAggFp4

A Ryanair jet landed in Lithuania after the Belarusian military forced it earlier on Sunday to divert to Minsk, where authorities arrested a journalist who covered protests against President Alexander Lukashenko.

The Boeing Co. 737-800 carrying scores of passengers from Athens to Vilnius was diverted to the Belarusian capital under the escort of a Mig-29 fighter jet after its crew was notified by authorities in Minsk of a “potential security threat on board,” a Ryanair spokeswoman said.

Authorities boarded the plane and arrested Raman Pratasevich, the former editor-in-chief of one the most popular Telegram news channels in Belarus. Pratasevich wasn’t on the plane when it took off again, Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda said in a recorded statement.

An adviser to Belarusian opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya said Pratasevich, 26, had been bundled off the flight in Minsk by police. “At first he panicked, then calmed down a bit, but still was trembling. He said he’ll face the death penalty here. He was taken aside, his belongings dumped on the runway,” Franak Viacorka said on Twitter, citing passengers.

You have to wonder if they would have had the stones to do this if Pratasevich had been on a US, UK or German flight.....

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

All international trade to Belarus should be cut off till the man is released and safely in another country.

And charges along the lines of "international piracy" or whatever comes close should be pressed against those that participated in this criminal act.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What are people's thoughts on this story? From what I can tell, the Belarusian military hijacked an Irish Airliner, so they could arrest a political dissident:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/journalist-arrested-after-belarus-military-forces-ryanair-flight-to-land/ar-AAKimXI?li=AAggFp4

You have to wonder if they would have had the stones to do this if Pratasevich had been on a US, UK or German flight.....

Pretty audacious move. The despotic 'elected' POS in change of that $&!# hole is a real piece of work even by despotic leaders standards. 

• Cheers 1