The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

John McAfee dies of suicide in prison cell - report

Wed 23 Jun 2021 19:27:19 GMT

McAfee was facing extradition

McAfee dead at 75

Spain's El Pais reports that McAfee antivirus founder John McAfee was found dead in his cell in Barcelona while awaiting extradition on tax evasion charges in the US.

McAfee was arrested in October at a Spanish airport en route to Turkey on a request from the US Justice Dept and earlier in the day he lost a court case and had his extradition scheduled.

In recent years McAfee had grown into a larger-than-life character after amassing a more-than $100m fortune on his sale of the anti-virus company.

He later claimed to be worth much more but said he had wasted it. The 75-year-old was a crypto enthusiast and conspiracy theorist.

McAfee owned 9 homes and a fleet of planes before the 2009 financial crisis when he was hit hard. He liquidated most of his assets and moved to Belize where he became increasingly unhinged, touting conspiracy theories and eventually going into hiding. He was named a person of interest in the death of his neighbour.

He was arrested in Guatemala for entering the country illegally and later deported to Miami. McAfee told ABC in 2017 that he was convinced he had been followed for the past four years.

In an eerie coincidence, ZeroHedge wrote about McAfee just yesterday, saying he faced 30 years and could die in prison while using a photo of him with a gun to his head.

McAfee zerohedge

He had long said the government was out to get him and two years ago tweeted that "if I kill myself I didn't."

McAfee  "if I kill myself I didn't."

Let's hope the security cameras were working this time.

more.

Hundreds of bodies reported found in unmarked graves at former Saskatchewan residential school

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hundreds-of-bodies-found-in-unmarked-graves-at-former-saskatchewan-residential-school

The total number of graves near the former Marieval Indian Residential School is expected to be over three times higher than the 215 discovered recently in Kamloops

• Sad 1

This is awful.....

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/miami-florida-building-collapse-06-24-21/h_8e3b5aa0eecb4059c32091b667602781

The mayor of Miami-Dade said Thursday that half of the units in Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, have collapsed.

“A massive search and rescue is underway and we know we are going to do everything we can possibly to identify and rescue those who have been trapped in the rubble,” Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told reporters Thursday.

The mayor said the building is 12 stories and has more than 130 units.

Chief Ray Jadallah with the Miami-Dade Fire Department said 35 people were rescued from inside the building following the overnight partial building collapse in Surfside, Florida.

A family reunification center has been set up for anyone looking for missing people. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said that is located at 9301 Collins Avenue.

Emergency officials are also asking for people to call 305-614-1819 if relatives are unaccounted for.

"Chaplains and victim advocates are on-site ready to support the survivors and family members who are in need of resources. Our social service agencies as well are coming in. They are going to be here to assist in the hours and days ahead," Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said at a news conference on Thursday morning.

The building partially collapsed overnight and at least one person is dead, official said.

The mayor said search and rescue operations is underway, adding that people need to let crews do their jobs.

"We need to allow them to do their work," she said. "We need to allow them to do their work because every minute in this search can make a huge difference."

Officials say people can also find additional resources, including family assistance at miamidade.gov/emergency.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, gurn said:

This is going to be very bad, toll wise,imo.

Happened at night, lot of people were likely in their suites, in bed.

That was my thought as well. They've reported one death, but I'll be absolutely astonished if that number doesn't go way up....

• Upvote 1

Will add, pictures such as that collapsed apt block used to be reserved for 3rd world "crap" hole countries.

May have simply been marketing, but the luster seems to be coming off the American/western empire.

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

more.

Hundreds of bodies reported found in unmarked graves at former Saskatchewan residential school

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hundreds-of-bodies-found-in-unmarked-graves-at-former-saskatchewan-residential-school

The total number of graves near the former Marieval Indian Residential School is expected to be over three times higher than the 215 discovered recently in Kamloops

Speechless ....... :(

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

more.

and yet the Catholic Church doesn't think recognition and an apology is the way to go. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We can hope, but the reality is that this happened at 1:30 am.....you have to think most people were sleeping....

CNN is now reporting it is now 99 unaccounted for. Including a family from Paraguay, whose daughter is attending a tennis camp. I think I heard the family is from the Gov't in Paraguay. Not relevant I know, but I take it this isn't a slum building.

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

CNN is now reporting it is now 99 unaccounted for. Including a family from Paraguay, whose daughter is attending a tennis camp. I think I heard the family is from the Gov't in Paraguay. Not relevant I know, but I take it this isn't a slum building.

It's just sad all around. Looking at that collapse and knowing what time it happened, it'salmost impossible that there won't be a significant loss of life....

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Will add, pictures such as that collapsed apt block used to be reserved for 3rd world "crap" hole countries.

May have simply been marketing, but the luster seems to be coming off the American/western empire.

Although that building is 40 years old, construction has been getting worse and worse.

From $&!#ty Chinese concrete, unqualified labor, low quality steel in rebars etc.

Roman viaducts are still around, no reason for new buildings to collapse but profit trumps quality nowdays.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and yet the Catholic Church doesn't think recognition and an apology is the way to go. 

About what I'd expect from a group of child molesters, misogynists and over all scumbags.