The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

more.

Hundreds of bodies reported found in unmarked graves at former Saskatchewan residential school

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hundreds-of-bodies-found-in-unmarked-graves-at-former-saskatchewan-residential-school

The total number of graves near the former Marieval Indian Residential School is expected to be over three times higher than the 215 discovered recently in Kamloops

Speechless ....... :(

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

more.

Hundreds of bodies reported found in unmarked graves at former Saskatchewan residential school

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hundreds-of-bodies-found-in-unmarked-graves-at-former-saskatchewan-residential-school

The total number of graves near the former Marieval Indian Residential School is expected to be over three times higher than the 215 discovered recently in Kamloops

and yet the Catholic Church doesn't think recognition and an apology is the way to go. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We can hope, but the reality is that this happened at 1:30 am.....you have to think most people were sleeping....

CNN is now reporting it is now 99 unaccounted for. Including a family from Paraguay, whose daughter is attending a tennis camp. I think I heard the family is from the Gov't in Paraguay. Not relevant I know, but I take it this isn't a slum building.

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

CNN is now reporting it is now 99 unaccounted for. Including a family from Paraguay, whose daughter is attending a tennis camp. I think I heard the family is from the Gov't in Paraguay. Not relevant I know, but I take it this isn't a slum building.

It's just sad all around. Looking at that collapse and knowing what time it happened, it'salmost impossible that there won't be a significant loss of life....

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Will add, pictures such as that collapsed apt block used to be reserved for 3rd world "crap" hole countries.

May have simply been marketing, but the luster seems to be coming off the American/western empire.

Although that building is 40 years old, construction has been getting worse and worse.

From $&!#ty Chinese concrete, unqualified labor, low quality steel in rebars etc.

Roman viaducts are still around, no reason for new buildings to collapse but profit trumps quality nowdays.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Although that building is 40 years old, construction has been getting worse and worse.

From $&!#ty Chinese concrete, unqualified labor, low quality steel in rebars etc.

Roman viaducts are still around, no reason for new buildings to collapse but profit trumps quality nowdays.

I see what you did there, in your post about $&!#ty construction methods. :bigblush:

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and yet the Catholic Church doesn't think recognition and an apology is the way to go. 

They should have to apologise, pay reparations and have their tax exemption status revoked.

Update: they have found 751 graves in Sask. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

About what I'd expect from a group of child molesters, misogynists and over all scumbags. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They should have to apologise, pay reparations and have their tax exemption status revoked.

Update: they have found 751 graves in Sask. 

my guess is they'll never admit to wrongdoing, but hey the Vatican sure is shiny. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my guess is they'll never admit to wrongdoing, but hey the Vatican sure is shiny. 

Nope

With regards to Miami, maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the politicos that American infrastructure both private and public is approaching par with 3rd world countries. Although I guess another handout and looking the other way is easier to do than anything else.

2 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Nope

With regards to Miami, maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the politicos that American infrastructure both private and public is approaching par with 3rd world countries. Although I guess another handout and looking the other way is easier to do than anything else.

Take a drive through Montreal (and much of ?Quebec) and look at their overpasses and bridges built during the last fifty years.  They are literally crumbling and have nets hanging underneath to catch the falling concrete chunks from hitting the cars below.  It’s not just in the US where some things were built poorly.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Take a drive through Montreal (and much of ?Quebec) and look at their overpasses and bridges built during the last fifty years.  They are literally crumbling and have nets hanging underneath to catch the falling concrete chunks from hitting the cars below.  It’s not just in the US where some things were built poorly.  

I don't know if it has to do with poorly built but more to do with complete lack of maintenance and using tax money for frivolous BS.

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So, is this basically like the CRTC mixed with forced Canadian content (like radio stations have to do)?

I'm not up to speed on it but is it designed to curb hate speech? and now individuals can be held accountable?

Since social media turns everyone into a broadcaster ( they have to define that designation though when it come to the internet..)

Is it that weird that they are trying to do this?... I dunno

I'm one of those that thinks that we have nothing close to freedom, so under the 'social contract' this doesn't surprise me.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I don't know if it has to do with poorly built but more to do with complete lack of maintenance and using tax money for frivolous BS.

These are bridges and overpasses built in the 60’s and 70’s.  They are not so old they should be falling apart.  It’s a nightmare caused by poor construction, and some say corrupt officials.  

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/montreal-is-falling-down/

• Sad 1