The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

This story makes me chuckle a bit. If you've been watching Real Time with Bill Maher over the last season, you'll understand why....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/science/astronauts-complete-solar-panel-work-in-3rd-spacewalk/ar-AALrvZ0?li=AAgh0dA

Astronauts finished unfurling a new pair of solar panels outside the International Space Station on Friday, making their third spacewalk in just over a week.

NASA's Shane Kimbrough and France's Thomas Pesquet successfully installed the second in a series of powerful solar wings that should keep the space station running the rest of this decade, as space tourism ramps up with visitors beginning in the fall.

“We have a lot of happy faces down here,” Mission Control radioed as power surged through the panel.

It should have been a two-spacewalk job, but spacesuit and other problems hampered the astronauts’ work on June 16. As a result, the first solar wing wasn't extended to its full length of 63 feet (19 meters) until Sunday. NASA added a third spacewalk for Friday to attach and unfold the second wing — this time everything went smoothly 255 miles (410 kilometers) up.

Once Pesquet released the final bolt, the newest solar wing unrolled like a giant stretch of wallpaper, high above the Bering Sea. It took 10 minutes for the slow but steady extension.

“Well done out there, buddy,” Kimbrough called out.

The upshot is, it takes roughly 2 years less to install Solar Panels in space, than it does in California....:lol:

• Vintage 2

Condominium tower collapsed in Florida. 150+ people missing and 11 with non-fatal injuries. The collapse happened at about 1:30 a.m. Death toll at 4 but expected to rise. Fires slowing down rescue efforts. Report from 2018 warned of major structural damage and nothing was done. A class action lawsuit exceeding 5M has been filed by some of the residents.

So far...

Casualties

As of June 26, 2021, four people are known to have died during the collapse, and eleven more were injured. As many as 159 people remained unaccounted for.

At least 31 people from South America who resided in or were believed to be in the building at the time of the collapse were among the missing. Paraguay's Ministry of External Relations stated that the First Lady Silvana López Moreira's sister, her sister's husband, and their three children were missing. Another Paraguayan citizen was also missing. A first cousin of Chilean Air Force general Alberto Bachelet is believed to be missing, according to his daughter. The other missing people were identified as nine citizens from Argentina, six from Venezuela, six from Colombia and three Uruguayan citizens.

Additionally, 20 Israeli citizens were reported missing by Israel's consul general in Miami. Global Affairs Canada announced that four Canadians "may be affected" by the tragedy, without giving further details.  As of June 26, 2021, the only identified fatality is 54-year-old Stacie Fang, the mother of a 15-year-old boy who was rescued from the rubble shortly after the collapse.

Response

More than 80 rescue units responded to the collapse, according to the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department. Surfside mayor Charles Burkett said in a news conference that ten people were treated at the scene of the collapse and that two people were taken to the hospital, with one later dying. At least 35 people were rescued from the building on June 24 and as many as 159 people were unaccounted for. Miami-Dade County mayor Daniella Levine Cava called a state of emergency and called for Florida governor Ron DeSantis to do the same. Governor DeSantis viewed the site on the same day, and issued a state of emergency.

Federal

The White House and Federal Emergency Management Agency stated that they were in contact with local officials and providing assistance after the collapse. President Joe Biden was briefed on the event, and spoke with Miami-Dade County mayor Cava. 

International

Israel offered clothes, medication, food, water, and other aid to the victims of the collapse. At least 36 of the victims were Jewish, and several had Israeli "connections" according to Israeli Consul-General Maor Elbaz-Starinsky, who came to the scene on the day of the collapse and conveyed an official offer from the Israeli government to send the Israel Defense Force’s Home Front Command search and rescue team to assist in the rescue efforts. This Israeli search and rescue has assisted in many other disasters such as the 2017 Puebla earthquake, 2010 Haitian earthquake, Typhoon Haiyan, and others. Florida did not respond to the Israeli offer of aid until June 25, three days after the offer was made.

Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin said in a statement, “Our prayers are with the families anxiously waiting for news of their loved ones in Miami. We hope for the recovery of the survivors and send heartfelt condolences to those who have lost family members.” While Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett tweeted, “Our Foreign Ministry representatives in Miami and Israel are doing everything possible to assist and address the situation. The entire nation of Israel prays for the safety of those injured and missing in the disaster. From here we send support to our brethren in the Jewish community in particular, and to all Florida residents in general, and express our sorrow following this tragic event.” Israeli Foreign Minister and alternate Prime Minister Yair Lapid added, “Foreign Ministry staff in Miami and Israel are doing everything they can to help those on the ground, the wounded and the families. It is a difficult and complex event and it will take time to deal with it. We are at their [Americans] disposal for any assistance they may need.” Diaspora Affairs Minister Nachman Shai was dispatched from Jerusalem to assist in the recovery in Surfside. 

On June 25, Israeli search and rescue teams from the IDF’s Homefront Command were permitted to join the search for survivors. Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said that people from Israel as well as Mexico have joined search-and-rescue groups. Workers from both countries rotate in and out as work teams sift through the rubble in two daily 12-hour shifts. 

Other organizations

The National Basketball Association's Miami Heat team helped state emergency workers at the site of the collapse. World Central Kitchen and Direct Relief, both of whom are recipients of the Heat's charitable arm, were also lending help.

American Red Cross volunteers assisted people displaced by the collapse.

Overall a pretty $&!#ty situation out of nowhere.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2021/06/25/what-we-know-so-far-about-the-florida-condo-building-collapse.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/death-toll-in-florida-collapse-rises-to-4-159-remain-missing-1.5485187

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfside_condominium_building_collapse

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Report from 2018 warned of major structural damage and nothing was done.

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Overall a pretty $&!#ty situation out of nowhere

Not out of norwhere, who ever ignored that 2018 report should be facing criminal negligence causing homicide, at the least.

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not out of norwhere, who ever ignored that 2018 report should be facing criminal negligence causing homicide, at the least.

Out of nowhere for the victims is where I was coming from. They're the ones reeling from the $&!#ty situation created by the actions of the few.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sure if this video has been posted of the collapse as it happens.

I posted a link to it on Thursday....at the time I couldn't find it anywhere except embedded in a CNN article.

Thanks for posting. This makes it easier for everyone....

• Cheers 1

On 6/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

and yet the Catholic Church doesn't think recognition and an apology is the way to go. 

To be clear, I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but I think it would be naive to assume that some First Nations folks aren't taking matters into their own hands....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/two-more-catholic-churches-burn-down-on-indigenous-land-in-southern-bc/ar-AALtKIL?li=AAggNb9

Two more Catholic churches on Indigenous land in B.C.’s Interior burned to the ground early Saturday morning.

The latest were located on reserves in the Similkameen Valley, and come just days after two Catholic churches burned down on Indigenous land in the southern Okanagan.

Chief Keith Crow, of the Lower Similkameen Indian Band, said St. Anne’s Church on the Chuchuwayha reserve in Hedley and the Lower Similkameen Indian Band church were destroyed by fire at about 4 a.m.

He said the fires were suspicious and “possibly” linked to the other two in the Okanagan.

“Some of our members attend these churches, they just had a service a couple of weeks ago,” he said Saturday, as he was just preparing to leave in a caravan to go to the Kamloops Residential School Saturday to support the community after the remains of 215 Indigenous children  were found in unmarked graves at the school last month.

“Luckily no one was injured and the fire here was contained before it spread to any of the neighbouring homes,” said Crow.

Crow said the RCMP were investigating. Mounties have not yet returned calls asking for information about the investigation.

Two Catholic churches on Indigenous land — the Sacred Heart Church and St. Gregory’s Church —  in the southern Okanagan were destroyed by fire early Monday.

According to Penticton South Okanagan RCMP spokesman Sgt. Jason Bayda, an officer on patrol spotted fire coming from the Sacred Heart Church on Penticton Indian Band land at around 1:20 a.m.

Is it wrong if I hope they don't catch the culprits? :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be clear, I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but I think it would be naive to assume that some First Nations folks aren't taking matters into their own hands....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/two-more-catholic-churches-burn-down-on-indigenous-land-in-southern-bc/ar-AALtKIL?li=AAggNb9

It's tough because the people of today are not the people of yesterday or tomorrow for that matter. They understandably want someone to blame but there's nobody to truly pin this on since these evil people are long-dead by now.

As I said before sometimes I wish we had time travelling machines.

Nevertheless the church should acknowledge that in it's past certain individuals that practice and share their same religious beliefs did commit heinous acts. Every group/race/religion has had certain contingents in it's past commit atrocities. No one are saints but we acknowledge and learn from our past so that we don't repeat those same mistakes and can help future generations be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't want to condone anything violent. But I can't say I'm surprised or have any sympathy either, with some of the idiotic statements coming from members of the church. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I don't think they're worried so much about assigning blame as they are wanting the Catholic Church (and possibly the RCMP) to acknowledge their roles in this shameful chapter of Canadian history and maybe even apologize, at the very least.

One might even make the argument that the Residential School System and the accompanying stifling of First Nations cultures helped perpetuate the cycle of poverty that has too often been a hallmark of the lives of so many indigenous people.

That means the people of today would be apologizing for the people of yesterday. Not saying the church should or shouldn't apologize, just that I don't see the point. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is like a parent apologizing for their kid misbehaving at school but going even further than that since we're looking at historical. In the end an apology holds less significance than it should. At least that's how I view it.

Acknowledgement and recognition is way more significant IMO. Letting people know you condemn the actions that, in history, certain individuals took that are a part of your group/religion/organization and that they don't speak for your entirety today. That they've grown and are better than they were before and let it serve as an example to not make the same sort of mistakes for future generations.

It would mean so much more if the people who did commit these crimes could face the consequences of their actions but we're long past that making it a tough situation. Hence why I wish time-travel was a thing. I'd bring a whole lot of heat and hand out my own sense of justice towards these horrendous individuals.

This sort of stuff just makes me wonder and I find myself asking questions in regards to similar situations and how to properly handle them. What's the way to go about it. How responsible are these people today for actions of the people of yesterday. How should the people of today act or feel on both sides. Every situation is different too.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That means the people of today would be apologizing for the people of yesterday. Not saying the church should or shouldn't apologize, just that I don't see the point. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is like a parent apologizing for their kid misbehaving at school but going even further than that since we're looking at historical. In the end an apology holds less significance than it should. At least that's how I view it.

Acknowledgement and recognition is way more significant IMO. Letting people know you condemn the actions that, in history, certain individuals took that are a part of your group/religion/organization and that they don't speak for your entirety today. That they've grown and are better than they were before and let it serve as an example to not make the same sort of mistakes for future generations.

It would mean so much more if the people who did commit these crimes could face the consequences of their actions but we're long past that making it a tough situation. Hence why I wish time-travel was a thing. I'd bring a whole lot of heat and hand out my own sense of justice towards these horrendous individuals.

This sort of stuff just makes me wonder and I find myself asking questions in regards to similar situations and how to properly handle them. What's the way to go about it. How responsible are these people today for actions of the people of yesterday. How should the people of today act or feel on both sides. Every situation is different too.

Wadr, I think you should look at the Catholic Church and the RCMP as institutions, rather than "people"....

When you look at it through that lens, it makes sense for Germany to acknowledge the Holocaust, The US and Canada to acknowledge their past mistreatment of Japanese citizens, etc., etc....

Specifically, I don't think it's so far out of line to hold an institution accountable for 100 year old crimes, when the central tenet of said institution is a 2000 year old book....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

Don't burn down assets that should be sold as reparations.

Also as some point a person could be in the church that gets lit up.

Just putting it out there (ie. not saying that what I'm about to suggest is fact), but has anyone considered this might be a "false-flag" situation, where "records" could be conveniently burned, and therefore forever lost and "no longer available"?

Mind you, razing someone's place of worship is not the act of a civilized society - but then again, Christians have been doing that to others they've encountered in the course of their millenia of history, in the name of salvaging souls and protecting their faith.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I don't think they're worried so much about assigning blame as they are wanting the Catholic Church (and possibly the RCMP) to acknowledge their roles in this shameful chapter of Canadian history and maybe even apologize, at the very least.

One might even make the argument that the Residential School System and the accompanying stifling of First Nations cultures helped perpetuate the cycle of poverty that has too often been a hallmark of the lives of so many indigenous people.

Healing can’t begin until these two institutions acknowledge their roles in the residential school system and the harm caused by them to the First Nations people. The RCMP to this day teaches its cadets in Regina a romanticized version of how they brought law and order and helped tame the Wild West. Young recruits are sent off to remote ares across Canada and have no concept of how or why they are viewed with distrust and contempt when they get there.

The church’s record on apologizing or acknowledging its part in causing harm to victims of any kind is disgusting and ought to make even their most devoted congregants have doubts about their beliefs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think an apology from the Church would go a long way toward setting their record straight on their position on the matter. If the Pope would come out and do it, the words of the Church’s members like that moron pastor in Ontario wouldn’t mean squat. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Wadr, I think you should look at the Catholic Church and the RCMP as institutions, rather than "people"....

When you look at it through that lens, it makes sense for Germany to acknowledge the Holocaust, The US and Canada to acknowledge their past mistreatment of Japanese citizens, etc., etc....

Specifically, I don't think it's so far out of line to hold an institution accountable for 100 year old crimes, when the central tenet of said institution is a 2000 year old book....

I know what they're capable of. I posted a story of how my mother and her step-father(native) and how the catholic church affected them both in the Jake Virtanen sexual-assault thread. It falls in line with this.

But I have never been one for generalizing in that sense or pinning the actions of the few onto the many. They're groups/institutions but the people within them are not those people that committed those crimes then. Times have changed since, these groups/institutions/etc have changed since then(some more than others) with society as a whole.

Almost every group/race/country/religion has done some stuff in the past. I think every one of them should acknowledge every event in the past regardless. These sort of mistakes made are teaching moments that should never be forgotten so they we don't repeat these sort of events. We live and learn. The perspective we give to future generations will serve to create a better tomorrow.

If the Church/RCMP/etc are not acknowledging the fact that in the past these people who were a part of us were responsible for this and now we condemn these people and actions today then they deserve to be called out. They aren't expressing that they've learned from the mistakes the people of yesterday that were a part of them made in the past. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think an apology from the Church would go a long way toward setting their record straight on their position on the matter. If the Pope would come out and do it, the words of the Church’s members like that moron pastor in Ontario wouldn’t mean squat. 

I suspect the reason why the Pope won't commit to an apology is because they have so many situations where their missionaries and representatives cause so much mayhem to local populations that they imposed themself onto that once the precedent is set, he'd be spending the rest of his waking hours (and those of his successors) apologizing and paying reparations to all the groups that have a valid grievance against the church.  I don't think the Vatican feels it's wealthy enough to cover all their liabilities.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think that's more of an acknowledgement/recognition of what happened more than an apology.

An apology would mean taking responsibility which would mean taking responsibility for what people did then. I don't see the significance in that for the victims. The people apologizing aren't the ones who committed these crimes.

Like I said if they're not acknowledging and recognizing what these individuals did that were a part of their group/institution then they deserve to be called out.

I am also not familiar with what the pastor in Ontario said but it sounds like it is gonna piss me off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

also not familiar with what the pastor in Ontario said but it sounds like it is gonna piss me off.

Paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of “people don’t acknowledge the good that the residential schools did for the indigenous population”. Also referred to them as allegations being propagated by the media (again paraphrasing).

I think the majority of Catholics would condemn statements like his but I still think there needs to be something said by the Vatican re: the matter. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1