The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

8 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t support the regime but Cubans should be able to choose their own system of government.  The US now accomplishes with embargoes what it used to with blockades. I agree that without US sanctions the regime might well have been toppled years ago. Or perhaps they would have flourished but either way that should be up to the Cuban people to decide for themselves.

Cuba: U.S. embargo blocks coronavirus aid shipment from Asia

Michael WeissensteinThe Associated Press
Published Friday, April 3, 2020 2:48PM EDT

HAVANA -- Cuban officials say a shipment of coronavirus aid from Asia's richest man, Jack Ma, has been blocked by the six-decade U.S. embargo on the island.

Carlos M. Pereira, Cuba's ambassador to China, said on his blog this week that Ma's foundation tried to send Cuba 100,000 facemasks and 10 COVID-19 diagnostic kits last month, along with other aid including ventilators and gloves.

Cuba was one of 24 countries in the region meant to receive the donations announced on March. 21 by the Jack Ma Foundation, which is sending similar aid to countries around the world, including the United States.

Cuban officials say the cargo carrier of Colombia-based Avianca Airlines declined to carry the aid to Cuba because its major shareholder is a U.S.-based company subject to the trade embargo on Cuba. The embargo has exceptions for food and medical aid but companies are often afraid to carry out related financing or transportation due to the risk of fines or prosecution under the embargo.

Human-rights groups have been calling for the U.S. to lift sanctions on Venezuela, Cuba and Iran during the coronavirus epidemic in order to permit the flow of more aid. The Trump administration has argued that only the countries' government would benefit from the sanctions relief.

Cuba has free universal health care and a high ratio of medical workers, 95,000, for a population of 11 million but operates without much of the equipment and testing generally available in developed countries.

The blocking of the aid should be “an action inconceivable in a global crisis,” but “it doesn't surprise us,” said Carlos Fernando de Cossio, Cuba's head of U.S. affairs. “It's the type of obstacle that Cuba confronts daily in order to take care of the country's basic necessities.”

The same way that the  CCP has deterred on replacement for years now? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

We might have " free elections" here in Aus however we don't get to really choose a government that represents the people.

In a 2 party political system where the candidates have to come through the party system where many of them have never had real jobs.

There is branch stacking on both sides of politics,this translates to candidates being chosen by factions with certain beliefs 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-30/victoria-liberals-religious-right-branch-stacking-fears/8667756?utm_source=abc_news_web&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_web

We do have the greens and a few great independents like Andrew Wilkie however our parliament is a joke.

Question time illustrates this,both sides abusing each other.

There is no accountability when they screw up. 

Yep we get to elect our idiots.

That makes me feel a whole lot better.

heh, a 2 party political system (which we have essentially have here in Canada) gives the plebs one additional choice vs an "election" under a dictatorship.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/cubas-internet-cutoff-tactic-global-despots-78804049

Cuba restricted internet access during the protests yesterday.

There’s a reason why people try to escape from places like Cuba.  How evil is a government that forces people to stay, and shoots those who try to escape?  Just using the word escape implies it’s a prison.  The Cuba people were tied nicely to the US, and would be so much better off without the whole Castro revolution and communism.  Now they suffer.  

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t support the regime but Cubans should be able to choose their own system of government.  The US now accomplishes with embargoes what it used to with blockades. I agree that without US sanctions the regime might well have been toppled years ago. Or perhaps they would have flourished but either way that should be up to the Cuban people to decide for themselves.

Personally i feel that sanctions should have been lifted years ago. Also Cuba getting caught in 1961 crisis was stupid. Unfortunately Cuban people are the ones that suffer and have suffered, Castro regime did good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Personally i feel that sanctions should have been lifted years ago. Also Cuba getting caught in 1961 crisis was stupid. Unfortunately Cuban people are the ones that suffer and have suffered, Castro regime did good.

Sure, Castro hooking up with Communist Russia really worked out well for the Cuban people.  People literally try to escape from Cuba, and have since 61.  The lucky ones got to the US, where they can live lives free from persecution by government. 

We could have offered a spot as a province or territory of Canada; and probably still should.

Show the world it is possible to grow, with out sending in the army to take over.

Cuba

Turks and Caicos Islands

Iceland

All would make fine provinces.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, gurn said:

We could have offered a spot as a province or territory of Canada; and probably still should.

Show the world it is possible to grow, with out sending in the army to take over.

Cuba

Turks and Caicos Islands

Iceland

I wouldn't mind us declaring HK a province of Canada as well, but I'm certain the ccp would freak, and they'd probably send the pla here, skipping over Taiwan.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Cuba

Turks and Caicos Islands

Iceland

That would be cool.  If we get Iceland might as well add Greenland to the list.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Definitely have discussions with Denmark, maybe they'll sell cheap.

While we're at it might as well add Vermont, Maine, Minnesota, and Alaska to the list.  Alright that's enough world conquering for tonight :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wouldn't mind us declaring HK a province of Canada as well, but I'm certain the ccp would freak, and they'd probably send the pla here, skipping over Taiwan.

They don't, yet, have the navy to do that, but in about a decade it would be different.

Too much water to cross, and resupply/ gathering points  are impossible with the US holding most Pacific Islands.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

They don't, yet, have the navy to do that, but in about a decade it would be different.

Too much water to cross, and resupply/ gathering points  are impossible with the US holding most Pacific Islands.

True, I guess... and then there's also the issue of how we'd be able to lay claim over it considering the pla have barracks there.  

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted in my mind.  :unsure:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

While we're at it might as well add Vermont, Maine, Minnesota, and Alaska to the list.  Alright that's enough world conquering for tonight :lol:

I'm open to almost anyone joining. Would have to be careful not to let countries with larger populations join, as a democracy we would quickly end up being the tail and not the brain.

AS Canada grows and people settle in, more would be invited to join

Just now, gurn said:

I'm open to almost anyone joining. Would have to be careful not to let countries with larger populations join, as a democracy we would quickly end up being the tail and not the brain.

AS Canada grows and people settle in, more would be invited to join

So in other words, hold off letting California join until much, much, much later then, eh?  :gocan:

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So in other words, hold off letting California join until much, much, much later then, eh?  :gocan:

Unfortunately yes, it was on of my biggest problems with the "Cascadia" separation idea that bubbles up every so often.

• Vintage 1