The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Just look at what they're doing in HK to get a sense of the slow-mo version of locking things down and changing the narrative.

One thing here I hope makes a difference compared to HK is the outcry is internal, while HKers were always a separate culture from mainlanders. However the CCP does have unprecedented control over their population and information so nothing happening is the likely outcome.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In what &^@#ed up universe do we allow inorganic and potentially toxic substances to be given permission to be increased in presence on a foodstuff?  :picard:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/blueberry-pesticide-residue-increase-1.6120711

The producers don't want it.  Pretty sure the consumers don't want it.  Oh wait, the pesticide industry wants it?  So therefore the government should bend over and make a big gaping hole that even the goatse.cx man would feel jealous about?  :picard:

I really can't help but question the competence of the people at Health Canada, from the minister all the way down.  You &^@#ed up the preparations for the pandemic.  You &^@#ed up the response to the pandemic.  Now you're willing to poison your people - and in particular, that segment of the population you promised to seek reconciliation with.

Health Canada, and all its subsidiary agencies, including PHAC, should be shut down and the whole &^@#ing lot of them fired.

As I and others have pointed out, government s are just middle management for the corporation's that really run our societies and this is just more evidence of this fact.

49 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Poor fellow didn't need psychiatric drugs but had them forced on him while he was incorrectly incarcerated - now, after all that, I wouldn't be surprised if he needs psychiatric drugs just to forget what happened to him.

And I would never trust a policeman or person of authority ever again if I were in his shoes.

Hide contents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hawaii-mistaken-identity-1.6129737

Too F in lazy to run a simple set of fingerprints. That constable should be immediately fired; and then face charges of kidnapping.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, bishopshodan said:

Maybe it's because I'm a Brit immigrant that moved to the greatest place on earth...B.C... when I read this... 

How. Dare. You.

Should British Columbia change its name? As we reckon with history, some say it's time

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-name-change-1.6126983

Well the British Empire is pretty reprehensible but just no.....  are the 'some' the hippies at that logging protest?  

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Well the British Empire is pretty reprehensible but just no.....  are the 'some' the hippies at that logging protest?  

Fairy Creek?

I work with my ex-logger nephew, he just loooovvves talking about those dudes.

The British empire is awesome....and pretty reprehensible. That little island really kicked some ass, bunch of hooligans.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Fairy Creek?

The British empire is awesome....and pretty reprehensible. That little island really kicked some ass, bunch of hooligans.

Oh for a tiny nation they kicked ass for a long time even with inbred royalty of dubious English heritage. Still it is a pretty repugnant history but they're far from unique in that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Fairy Creek?

Kicked some ass and committed "some" genocide and gave South Asia a migrant crisis, large scale violence and unrest that westerners would have trouble comprehending as a baby shower for their independent nations that were set up to antagonize each other from the start. Don't tell me Britian didn't know making a theocratic Islamic state and bending for the extremists wasn't going to end up like this.

Renaming things is pointless but &^@# anyone praising the crown or the empire, Canada should be rid of those things.

They are far from unique in their treatment of "lesser races" as they thought at the time, but England was able to do the most widespread damage across multiple continents and their queen wears jewels plundered from lands they colonized. A disgusting state of affairs.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Kicked some ass and committed "some" genocide and gave South Asia a migrant crisis, large scale violence and unrest that westerners would have trouble comprehending as a baby shower for their independent nations that were set up to antagonize each other from the start. Don't tell me Britian didn't know making a theocratic Islamic state and bending for the extremists wasn't going to end up like this.

Renaming things is pointless but &^@# anyone praising the crown or the empire, Canada should be rid of those things.

...pretty reprehensible.

• Cheers 1

On 8/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, bishopshodan said:

Maybe it's because I'm a Brit immigrant that moved to the greatest place on earth...B.C... when I read this... 

How. Dare. You.

Should British Columbia change its name? As we reckon with history, some say it's time

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-name-change-1.6126983

I always just say/write BC... just keep the initials the same, so we don't have to adjust. I will lob a name suggestion though: 'Bud Country'. It's kinda what we're known for...

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Oh for a tiny nation they kicked ass for a long time even with inbred royalty of dubious English heritage. Still it is a pretty repugnant history but they're far from unique in that.

One of these guys is British and the other is Russian:

Family Ties: Cousins King George V And Tsar Nicholas II On Noble Blood |  iHeartRadio

On 8/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, bishopshodan said:

Fairy Creek?

Don't include us Scots in your empire you Sassenach so and so.

You can take our land but you can never take our freedom !

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Almost every empire at some point did some reprehensible stuff. There's not a single nation that are and were saints throughout their history.

I was listening to a lecture on this subject a couple of days ago.

All empires and nations have done things that they should be ashamed of.

The lecture was more about the effect of that shame on later generations that did not commit those acts.

That while we should admit/confront past mistakes and make sure we don't repeat them,shame should not define both a nation or an individual.

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Almost every empire at some point did some reprehensible stuff. There's not a single nation that are and were saints throughout their history.

There's also no Empire that did as much bad $&!# as England in history. Not to make it a competition, but hey Germany admitted they were messed up, a lot of European colonizing nations brush off their genocidal centuries because England wears it with pride and still love the royals that presided over hundreds of millions of dead foreigners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-07/two-killed-wildfires-spread-across-greece-residents-athens/100358448

I checked your fire thread and read a couple of members stories, heartbreaking.

This is when I actually get angry at the people who are in denial about climate change.

Societies like ours that have to deal with fire seasons like this on a yearly basis.

Each hemisphere's fire seasons merges into the next.

I would do the same.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8097258/child-rapist-killed-victim-brother-prison/

A 26-year-old went to prison for leading police on a wild chase in a stolen patrol car, only to find himself sharing a cell with the man who raped his underage sister a few years earlier.

So he killed him.

How can this be 25 years? Isn't this some kind of crime of passion? 

Should the jail not hold some responsibility? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I would do the same.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8097258/child-rapist-killed-victim-brother-prison/

A 26-year-old went to prison for leading police on a wild chase in a stolen patrol car, only to find himself sharing a cell with the man who raped his underage sister a few years earlier.

So he killed him.

How can this be 25 years? Isn't this some kind of crime of passion? 

Should the jail not hold some responsibility? 

This is 100% the prisons fault and his sentence should be reduced because of that fact. How do you not check into these things?

• Vintage 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:03 AM, Kurgom said:

There's also no Empire that did as much bad $&!# as England in history. Not to make it a competition, but hey Germany admitted they were messed up, a lot of European colonizing nations brush off their genocidal centuries because England wears it with pride and still love the royals that presided over hundreds of millions of dead foreigners.

Except we don’t wear it with pride, and the royals didn’t have much to do with it, the majority of the empire was built by parliament not by the monarch. 

also ‘loving the royals’ isn’t a tacit endorsement of past crimes of a nation

One of the key differences is that England acknowledges its past so it’s often more discussed than some countries who have buried that chapter in their history.