The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

News from Kelowna:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/multiple-fatalities-after-crane-collapses-in-downtown-kelowna-police-say/ar-AAM4dYb?ocid=msedgntp

Multiple people are dead after a crane attached to a high-rise building under construction collapsed in downtown Kelowna, B.C., on Monday, police said.

“There are multiple confirmed fatalities and we are working to confirm all occupants and workers of the building and the worksite," said Inspector Adam MacIntosh of the Kelowna RCMP detachment.

“The crane fell to the north, striking the adjacent professional business building, causing damage. The crane also fell across the rear parkway, striking the roof to an old-age home.”

Read more: Emergency services are responding to a crane collapse in Kelowna on St. Paul and St. Bernard Avenue

Police would not say if the victims are workers or bystanders, stating that not all next of kin have been notified yet.

One person not connected to the worksite remains unaccounted for, MacIntosh said.

The Mission Group, a residential and commercial real estate developer, said the "catastrophic failure" occurred during the crane dismantling process.

"Mission Group expresses its deepest sympathy for the families of those affected by this tragedy," the company said in a written statement.

"We have set up support services to help those in need."

Read more: First hand accounts from the crane collapse in Kelowna, BC

BC Emergency Health Services (BC EHS) said 12 ground ambulances were dispatched to the scene, including two critical care teams.

Three patients were transported to hospital in stable, serious and critical condition.

The City of Kelowna has declared a local state of emergency in response to the threat to people and property caused by the crane collapse.

A 250-foot radius surrounding the building has been evacuated, in case the rest of the crane were to collapse, MacIntosh said.

Kelowna RCMP said the block of Bernard Avenue/St. Paul St/Doyle Ave/ Bertram Street is now closed to the public until further notice.

Read more: Kelowna condo fire: Site still off-limits because of construction crane concerns

"If you are in this area, please leave as soon as possible in a safe manner," said Cpl. Jocelyn Noseworthy in an emailed statement.

"Please remain away from this area at this time."

The apartment building where the incident occurred is called Brooklyn at Bernard Block.

Video: Construction crane collapses

The Central Okanagan Emergency Operations Centre has been activated.

Individuals evacuated from the area can go to the Salvation Army at 1480 Sutherland Avenue. Families of those injured or unaccounted for should go to the Parkinson Recreation Centre (McIntosh Room) at 1700 Parkinson Way.

The emergency operations centre (EOC) said a formal evacuation order has been issued for 547 – 612 Bernard Ave., 1450 – 1488 Bertram Street and 1441 – 1471 St. Paul Street.

"As an evolving situation, the incident site and its surrounding area remains unsafe and unstable. Road and sidewalk closures, including barricades, are in place to ensure safety. Residents and visitors are to stay out of the area," the EOC said in an emailed statement.

Impacted residents cannot return home and employees cannot return to their place of work until the order is lifted, the EOC said.

Interior Health said Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) issued a code orange alert, signalling a mass casualty event. It was stood down at approximately 1:00 p.m.

Witnesses said the massive crane collapsed at approximately 11:00 a.m. Video from the scene shows major damage to an adjacent building and at least one vehicle.

Read more: Damage reported after part of crane falls on downtown Toronto building

Authorities are asking motorists to stay away from the downtown core, as emergency responders deal with the "significant industrial incident."

Power has been disrupted to much of the downtown area and traffic is being re-routed, police said.

Dan Blocka, a part-time Kelowna resident, said he spotted the crane coming down.

“I just got on the bus at the Queensway bus depot to go to UBC and when I sat down looking east, a big part of a crane just tipped northward from Bernard going north," he told Global News.

“I was in shock looking up and seeing this thing go down.”

Read more: Weld failure caused 2019 collapse of Halifax construction crane during storm: report

WorksafeBC says its prevention and investigations teams are responding to the incident.

"The purpose of our investigation is to identify the cause of the incident, including any contributing factors, so that similar incidents can be prevented from happening in the future," the agency said in an email.

The cause of the collapse is under investigation.

TOPICS FOR YOU

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Personally i feel that sanctions should have been lifted years ago. Also Cuba getting caught in 1961 crisis was stupid. Unfortunately Cuban people are the ones that suffer and have suffered, Castro regime did good.

Months after the revolution Castro visited the US but was rebuffed by Eisenhower who wouldn’t meet with him. No doubt that Castro was a polarizing figure but he would have preferred to have a relationship with the US but refused to be subservient. He told VP Nixon that he would not beg for normalized relations. Cuba was in some ways pushed into the sphere of USSR who treated them with respect.

Castro’s record in Cuba is pretty mixed. He brought universal healthcare and literacy to the country but never managed to raise the masses out of poverty. Whether this is due to the nearly constant embargoes by the US on anybody who does business with them or their system of government or both is irrelevant to the Cuban people. Poverty is rampant and everyday items like toothpaste or candy are golden gifts, electricity is sporadic outside of the resorts.

People that we met on the streets were guarded and fairly ambivalent about Castro if they would say anything at all but weren’t shy about their love for Che Guevara. They loved Canadians and were eager to talk about life here, spoke nicely but more reserved about the US. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Months after the revolution Castro visited the US but was rebuffed by Eisenhower who wouldn’t meet with him. No doubt that Castro was a polarizing figure but he would have preferred to have a relationship with the US but refused to be subservient. He told VP Nixon that he would not beg for normalized relations. Cuba was in some ways pushed into the sphere of USSR who treated them with respect.

Castro’s record in Cuba is pretty mixed. He brought universal healthcare and literacy to the country but never managed to raise the masses out of poverty. Whether this is due to the nearly constant embargoes by the US on anybody who does business with them or their system of government or both is irrelevant to the Cuban people. Poverty is rampant and everyday items like toothpaste or candy are golden gifts, electricity is sporadic outside of the resorts.

People that we met on the streets were guarded and fairly ambivalent about Castro if they would say anything at all but weren’t shy about their love for Che Guevara. They loved Canadians and were eager to talk about life here, spoke nicely but more reserved about the US. 

I always felt like Soviets played Fidel during that crisis.

Soviets were so behind the U.S in terms of nuclear arsenal and ability to deliver it.
They even felt that U.S was preparing first strike and that they might not even be able to counter it.

Missiles that they sent to Cubans would take a very long time to prepare and launch.

Satellites would have detected them way before the launch sequence.

In that case full invasion of Cuba would take place and even if they managed to get some missiles off, Cuba would be gone.

So while USSR got concessions and managed to get Jupiter nuclear missiles out of Italy and Turkey.
As well as being able to catch up to U.S nuclear Arsenal in 70s and 80s.

Castro made his island a launch pad for another country, and his would be wiped off from face of the earth if any nuclear missiles reached Florida. Not to mention 60 years of sanctions and poverty.

Reminds me of Poland and Romania drawing  a bullseye for Russian nuclear Iskanders located in Kalingrad.

This after they have decided to start housing the U.S missile shield.

We have a saying back home that goes, it’s easy to smack hawthorns with someone else’s dick.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Like 2

Add another to the pile of stories regarding wrongful convictions.

Man ordered released after 20 years:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/judge-exonerates-man-who-served-20-years-in-georgia-slayings/ar-AAMkpsX?ocid=msedgntp

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — A judge on Monday dismissed all charges against a man convicted of the 1985 slayings of a couple at a south Georgia church, exonerating him after he spent two decades behind bars, the man's attorneys said.

Glynn County Superior Court Judge Stephen Scarlett granted a motion by prosecutors to dismiss the case against Dennis Perry, 59. Scarlett last year gave Perry the chance for a new trial after DNA recovered from the crime scene matched a different suspect during reinvestigation of the case. He also ordered Perry's release from prison while prosecutors decided whether to refile charges.

Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Keith Higgins, who took office in January, decided not to pursue the case.

“There are times when seeking justice means righting a wrong,” Higgins said, according to WTLV-TV. “While this case was prosecuted prior to my administration, the new evidence indicates that someone else murdered Harold and Thelma Swain.”

Perry, who had maintained his innocence, said in a statement he “knew that eventually someone else would see the truth.”

"This indictment has been hanging over my head for over 20 years, and it’s such a relief to finally not have to worry about being accused of this awful thing,” he said.

The Swains were killed inside Rising Daughters Baptist Church in Waverly, Georgia, in 1985.

Perry was convicted in 2003 largely on the testimony of his ex-girlfriend’s mother, who said Perry had told her he planned to kill Harold Swain. The state didn’t disclose to the defense that the woman was paid $12,000 in reward money for her testimony. Perry received two consecutive life sentences in prison.

The new DNA evidence has cast suspicion on another man in the slaying. Authorities were led to that suspect after reporting by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution found his alibi was fabricated, Perry's attorneys say.

“We are thrilled that Dennis and his family can now begin the long process of recovery and healing," said Jennifer Whitfield, an attorney with the Georgia Innocence Project, which along with the King & Spalding law firm helped secure Perry's exoneration. “It takes so little to convict, and yet so much to undo a wrongful conviction.”

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Add another to the pile of stories regarding wrongful convictions.

Man ordered released after 20 years:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/judge-exonerates-man-who-served-20-years-in-georgia-slayings/ar-AAMkpsX?ocid=msedgntp

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — A judge on Monday dismissed all charges against a man convicted of the 1985 slayings of a couple at a south Georgia church, exonerating him after he spent two decades behind bars, the man's attorneys said.

Glynn County Superior Court Judge Stephen Scarlett granted a motion by prosecutors to dismiss the case against Dennis Perry, 59. Scarlett last year gave Perry the chance for a new trial after DNA recovered from the crime scene matched a different suspect during reinvestigation of the case. He also ordered Perry's release from prison while prosecutors decided whether to refile charges.

Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Keith Higgins, who took office in January, decided not to pursue the case.

“There are times when seeking justice means righting a wrong,” Higgins said, according to WTLV-TV. “While this case was prosecuted prior to my administration, the new evidence indicates that someone else murdered Harold and Thelma Swain.”

Perry, who had maintained his innocence, said in a statement he “knew that eventually someone else would see the truth.”

"This indictment has been hanging over my head for over 20 years, and it’s such a relief to finally not have to worry about being accused of this awful thing,” he said.

The Swains were killed inside Rising Daughters Baptist Church in Waverly, Georgia, in 1985.

Perry was convicted in 2003 largely on the testimony of his ex-girlfriend’s mother, who said Perry had told her he planned to kill Harold Swain. The state didn’t disclose to the defense that the woman was paid $12,000 in reward money for her testimony. Perry received two consecutive life sentences in prison.

The new DNA evidence has cast suspicion on another man in the slaying. Authorities were led to that suspect after reporting by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution found his alibi was fabricated, Perry's attorneys say.

“We are thrilled that Dennis and his family can now begin the long process of recovery and healing," said Jennifer Whitfield, an attorney with the Georgia Innocence Project, which along with the King & Spalding law firm helped secure Perry's exoneration. “It takes so little to convict, and yet so much to undo a wrongful conviction.”

His ex-girlfriend's mother should be thrown in the clink for the remainder of her life, if she's still alive

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, gurn said:

Also, who ever did not release the info about the payment to a 'witness' should face all applicable charges.

I hope he has the determination to sue the state for miscarriage of justice, and the prosecution team for malicious prosecution.  Something like that deserves a multi-million dollar punitive award.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Fined for inappropriate attire.....:picard:

Norway beach handball team fined for wearing shorts, not bikini bottoms

https://globalnews.ca/news/8042726/beach-handball-bikini-bottom-shorts-women-norwegian/

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They got fined for wearing what?  This is so confusing.  It doesn’t make any sense, right?  

If I were part of a mens team, I would totally convince my teammates to show up in bikini bottoms in solidarity with the Norweigians.  I guarantee you the officials would disqualify us on the spot just to get us off the field of play with our... *ahem*... "inappropriate attire".

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They got fined for wearing what?  This is so confusing.  It doesn’t make any sense, right?  

They got fined for not wearing skimpy bikini bottoms. It's cool that the Norwegian Handball Federation says that they will pay the fine for their team.

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If I were part of a mens team, I would totally convince my teammates to show up in bikini bottoms in solidarity with the Norweigians.  I guarantee you the officials would disqualify us on the spot just to get us off the field of play with our... *ahem*... "inappropriate attire".

Your idea reminds me of those cool school boys that showed up in skirts to support the girls in their school.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/boys-in-several-quebec-high-schools-wear-skirts-to-protest-dress-code-1.5755570

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

How dare Olympic beach volleyball players show up in shorts.

074FDDE2-A15C-4242-AA1C-682AB3E29E37.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Can't think of where best to place this, and I don't think it deserves its own thread, so I'm going to toss it here into the WET in hopes that the mention of Monty Python is worldly enough.

'Dead parrot' sketch invoked as B.C. judge OKs glucosamine sulfate class action

Mislabelling claim reminds judge of British comedy troupe's legendary ode to frustrating purchase

Jason Proctor · CBC News · Posted: Jul 21, 2021 5:00 AM PT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

news-for-parrots.jpeg
In this post from British comedy troupe Monty Python's Facebook page, cast member Michael Palin delivers the news for parrots. A B.C. Supreme Court judge has referred to the group's famous 'Dead Parrot Sketch' in certifying a class-action lawsuit against pharmaceutical companies. (Monty Python/Facebook)

It's not every lawsuit that tickles the judicial funny bone.

But a Vancouver judge saw parallels this week between one woman's proposed class-action claim against a handful of pharmaceutical companies and a legendary British comedy sketch involving an irate customer who complains that he was tricked into buying a dead parrot.

"Sometimes a consumer will make a purchase but not receive what they ordered," B.C. Supreme Court Justice Ward Branch wrote before citing nearly all of the so-called Dead Parrot Sketch by Monty Python's Flying Circus at the start of a lengthy ruling certifying the class-action claim.

The woman leading the legal charge — Uttra Kumari Krishnan — claimed she spent years buying glucosamine sulfate products that allegedly contained no glucosamine sulfate.

In giving Krishnan the go-ahead to sue, Branch compared her to "Mr. Praline" — the customer in the decades-old skit who confronts a shopkeeper with a "Norwegian Blue" parrot that turns out to have been nailed to its perch — an "ex-parrot" in the words of Mr. Praline, "expired and gone to meet his maker!"

"Much like the poor Mr. Praline, [Krishnan] complains that she was sold a health product that did not contain what it said on the bottle," Branch wrote.

"[She] admits that she does not know for certain what is in the bottles, but argues that what is important is that it was not glucosamine sulfate."

From dead parrots to dead shellfish

The judge approved the class-action lawsuit against WN Pharmaceuticals Ltd. and Natural Factors Nutritional Products Ltd. in relation to products purchased after May 6, 2004 that claimed to contain glucosamine sulfate.

Glucosamine is part of the human cartilage, but it is also found in the covering of shellfish. Glucosamine sulfate is produced by combining glucosamine and mineral salt.

Global sales of the compound are worth billions.

unproven-remedies.jpg
Glucosamine pills, shown on the right, are at the centre of a proposed class-action lawsuit in B.C. brought by a customer who claims the products do not contain glucosamine sulfate, as listed. (Eric Risberg/The Associated Press)

If Health Canada approves a licence for a glucosamine sulfate product, a manufacturer is allowed to say it "helps to relieve joint pain associated with osteoarthritis and to protect against cartilage deterioration."

According to Branch's ruling, the lawsuit was sparked by a 2012 academic article that threw doubt on the contents of many commercial products claiming to contain glucosamine sulfate.

Krishnan claims that a University of British Columbia professor hired to test a bottle of "Webber Naturals Glucosamine Sulfate 500 mg Capsules" found they did not contain "glucosamine sulphate or so-called glucosamine sulfate potassium chloride."

The distinction is crucial because experts cited by the claimant say only glucosamine sulfate itself is effective in managing osteoarthritis and that other forms of glucosamine are harder to digest.

The companies dispute the claims. They also say their products met Health Canada's testing requirements and that the scientific tests done by Krishnan's expert go beyond what is required by the government.

Branch reached for the dead parrot sketch again when considering whether Health Canada's approval for glucosamine sulfate mattered more when it came to suing than if the product actually contained glucosamine sulfate.

"To invoke the opening comedic extract, Health Canada's testing protocols cannot change a dead parrot into a live one," the judge wrote.

"Health Canada cannot establish a protocol that requires that a parrot only still have its feathers in order to be sold as a live parrot, and thereby prevent anyone from suing after being sold a parrot who 'joined the bleedin' choir invisible.'"

In approving the class action for certification, Branch did not decide on the merits of the claim — only whether it met the bar to proceed. The allegations have not been proven in court.

'Eye-glazing, bum-numbing'

A search of the Canadian Legal Information Institute database shows a judicial fondness for Monty Python — a British comedy troupe that created the Flying Circus TV show, which was broadcast on the BBC between 1969 and 1974.

The dead parrot sketch is a particular favourite.

798848.jpg
The members of Monty Python are shown in an undated publicity still. From left: John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Graham Chapman, Michael Palin and Eric Idle. The British comedy group is often cited in Canadian court decisions. (PBS/Python (Monty) Pictures Ltd./The Associated Press)

In 1998, a tax court judge compared the behaviour of employees at Human Resources and Development Canada to the parrot seller for their treatment of taxpayer claims: "They simply refused to accept the parrot was not napping or meditating but was, in reality, extremely dead," the judge wrote.

The Alberta Court of Appeal also cited the sketch as a means of showing that a "moribund" pipe company that had been struck off the corporate registry could not file a civil claim: "To borrow from the satire of Monty Python, it is a non-entity and denial does not change that fact," the judges wrote.

And in a literary tour-de-force, an Ontario Superior Court justice compared a witness to Monty Python's so-called Minister of Silly Walks, claiming the man's "credibility was reduced to existential confetti" when he finished testifying and "he even appeared to be physically shorter than when the trial began."

The same judge described the closing arguments as "eye-glazing, bum-numbing" and "disc-herniating."

Not to be outdone, B.C.'s Civil Resolution Tribunal ruled last year in a dispute involving a man who claimed he was sold a defective parrot. In that case, the tribunal member found that there was an "implied warranty" that the ex-parrot — Tiberius — would be healthy for at least six months after purchase.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/glucosamine-sulfate-monty-python-class-action-1.6109894

Life can be stuffy, and court cases even stuffier, but I'm glad that the occasional case that hits the courts evokes enough of a sense of humour from the bench that even the stuffiest court cases can sometimes have its moment of levity, even if it's satire that is driving the humour.

• Hydration 2

48 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can't think of where best to place this, and I don't think it deserves its own thread, so I'm going to toss it here into the WET in hopes that the mention of Monty Python is worldly enough.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/glucosamine-sulfate-monty-python-class-action-1.6109894

Life can be stuffy, and court cases even stuffier, but I'm glad that the occasional case that hits the courts evokes enough of a sense of humour from the bench that even the stuffiest court cases can sometimes have its moment of levity, even if it's satire that is driving the humour.

Pining for the fjords.....

• Hydration 1

This is some very brutal stuff, don't watch if you don't feel like being depressed. I hope the government isn't lying and all those people in the subway and stuck in their cars were saved.

Edited by Kurgom

Some posters on here state we live in a time of unprecedented peace.

That we should not worry about the "old stockpile" of nuclear weapons.

Well maybe we should take heed of the bulletin of atomic scientists.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-20/russia-conducts-missile-test-hypersonic-euro-atlantic-tsirkon/100308688 

Russia have been updating their nuclear weapons and delivery systems for years and now they have developed a delivery system that is both harder to detect and intercept.

Edited by Ilunga