The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Been following this.

Turning into a humanitarian catastrophe.

The images coming out of that country are extremely distressing.

Those freaks actually look like freaks, wild eyed,fanatical.

I keep hearing reports that the average Afghani believes in democracy and now feels betrayed by western forces retreating from their country.

Could the UN (blue helmets) have helped after the US left?  Wishful thinking?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hope someone does something...once again in it's history Afghanistan is a complete mess.

There is a boycott Pakistan movement growing, as they are being accused of helping the Taliban.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Human being's react as they all ways have.

That is the one thing that has not and never will change....human nature.

IMHO people should consider what 10% inflation would mean to how they live. 10% in contrast to the 20% we experienced in 1979-80. I suggest the vast majority will not fair well. As virtually all political parties continue to promise more with no regard to affordability the inevitable collapse grows near. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Meh, they could have done a lot better

Mike Richards, Mayim Bialik to split hosting duties on Jeopardy!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/mike-richards-mayim-bialik-jeopardy-hosts-1.6137539

It's funny, because at the time, people were quite impressed by Richards' performance. Most thought that he was the second best host after Ken Jennings. (I can only assume that Jennings isn't able to take on the gig for some reason, because no-one has come close)

However, there was a groundswell of support for Levar Burton and any choice other than him was going to cause a lot of disappointment.

I'm a bit surprised at Bialik's choice. I thought she was in the bottom echelon of hosts so far. Maybe they chose her because of her science background? :unsure:

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Guess who's sitting around reading the news...

Anyway.

The Taliban now controls 65% of Afghanistan. They are taking over fast. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/politics/us-citizens-afghanistan/index.html

US Embassy in Kabul again urges Americans to leave Afghanistan ‘immediately’

The US Embassy in Kabul again urged American citizens to leave Afghanistan “immediately” amid rapid Taliban gains in the country.

It is the second such security alert in less than a week urging the immediate departure of US citizens.

“The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options,” the embassy said Thursday, noting that Americans who cannot afford to purchase airline tickets should contact the embassy “for information regarding a repatriation loan.”

The embassy issued its alert as the Taliban continued its assault, seizing major cities and capitols, dealing blow after blow to the Afghan government, its army and the US and its allies who trained Afghan forces.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The US Embassy in Kabul again urged American citizens to leave Afghanistan “immediately” amid rapid Taliban gains in the country.

It is the second such security alert in less than a week urging the immediate departure of US citizens.

“The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options,” the embassy said Thursday, noting that Americans who cannot afford to purchase airline tickets should contact the embassy “for information regarding a repatriation loan.”

The embassy issued its alert as the Taliban continued its assault, seizing major cities and capitols, dealing blow after blow to the Afghan government, its army and the US and its allies who trained Afghan forces.

Biden government asks Taliban to not attack US Embassy.  Holy crap!  Is Biden handing Afghanistan to the Taliban?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/us/politics/taliban-afghanistan-us-embassy.html

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, don't dig her as a selection.

My wife wanted Aaron Rodgers....

...for Jeopardy, just Jeopardy the game show of course. Get your mind out of the gutter. 

I thought Jennings was the best. I'm hoping that it was just a case of him not being available, rather than being passed over....

I also thought Levar Burton would have been a better choice. For me, as much as I like AR, I though he was okay at best, as a host.

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Biden government asks Taliban to not attack US Embassy.  Holy crap!  Is Biden handing Afghanistan to the Taliban?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/us/politics/taliban-afghanistan-us-embassy.html

Makes you wonder what happens if theTaliban does attack the US Embassy and kidnaps, wounds or kills American staff.

Does the whole cycle start over again?

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Me too.

Having the all time champ would make so much sense, the show he dominated becomes his to control.

The fact that he ended up losing on what was actually a pretty easy Final Jeopardy question just shows how amazing his run was. I watch religiously and probably 30% of the time, I see the FJ answer and wonder why I didn't get it, since it's so damn obvious. Sometimes the answers just come to you right away and sometimes you draw a blank.

The current champion (Matt Amodio) is kind of a cross between Jennings and James Holzhauer....really knowledgeable in a lot of areas like KJ and not afraid to bet big on the double jeopardy questions, like JH. That being said, he has this infuriating habit of using "What" when referring to people and it's super annoying.....

Like, if the response would be, "This person was the lead singer for Queen"....his answer would be "What's Freddie Mercury?" Who TF talks like that? :wacko:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Makes you wonder what happens if theTaliban does attack the US Embassy and kidnaps, wounds or kills American staff.

Does the whole cycle start over again?

I’m wondering why (how) the White House trusts the Taliban, and will negotiate with them?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering why (how) the White House trusts the Taliban, and will negotiate with them?  

I'm wondering if they can ship over Y'all Qaeda. Vanilla ISIS and QAnon to battle it out in the name of freedumb. 

They could take their trucks, their flags, their automatic weapons and their crazy ideas. I would think they would rather enjoy it.

There, problem(s) fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't follow your logic? That is like saying the human condition is solely based on the era they happen to live. Even the study of geo politics can clearly tell us that physical reality impacts how populations react. 

People are product of the society and time that they live in.

Looking to events from Middle Ages through 2021 perspective doesn’t make sense imo.

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The UK has sent 600 troops and helicopters to get UK nationals and Afghan interpreters out of the country asap

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don't know Alf.

The Taliban's strength is their belief system.  

Hard to overcome a fanatical enemy with out using extreme measures.

18 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO people should consider what 10% inflation would mean to how they live. 10% in contrast to the 20% we experienced in 1979-80. I suggest the vast majority will not fair well. As virtually all political parties continue to promise more with no regard to affordability the inevitable collapse grows near. 

Even more importantly than inflation is interest rates.

People over here in Aus have mortgages ranging from 500k to 1 million in Sydney and Melbourne.

With a 1 in front of the interest rates household budgets are still stretched.

Back in the late 80's interest rates were 17-18 percent.

Combine that with government debt.

Sooner or later this house of cards will come tumbling down.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Even more importantly than inflation is interest rates.

People over here in Aus have mortgages ranging from 500k to 1 million in Sydney and Melbourne.

With a 1 in front of the interest rates household budgets are still stretched.

Back in the late 80's interest rates were 17-18 percent.

Combine that with government debt.

Sooner or later this house of cards will come tumbling down.

USA department released a 7.8% increase in the cost of living. Location of stat escapes me. Between geo political pressures and the ongoing pressure of a global aging demographic I agree with you that the house of cards will collapse. Current debt increases are simply hollowing out the value held within North America. There is no voice here that gets any national stage to discuss or warn people of the implications. Any actuary should be able to tell people of the implications of institutions, both government and private, they repeatedly use ROI rates of +8%. These are the types of numbers needed to make their forecasts work. The fact that they cannot meet those numbers should scare the hell out of all citizens. 

We are about to enter another federal election in Canada and I would bet that this situation will not be addressed during the campaign. To me this is a national security issue that is no dif than the encroachment of a foreign power into our territory. Factions within Canada and the USA, both right and left, will love this outcome. It will led to instability and extremism.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

USA department released a 7.8% increase in the cost of living. Location of stat escapes me. Between geo political pressures and the ongoing pressure of a global aging demographic I agree with you that the house of cards will collapse. Current debt increases are simply hollowing out the value held within North America. There is no voice here that gets any national stage to discuss or warn people of the implications. Any actuary should be able to tell people of the implications of institutions, both government and private, they repeatedly use ROI rates of +8%. These are the types of numbers needed to make their forecasts work. The fact that they cannot meet those numbers should scare the hell out of all citizens. 

We are about to enter another federal election in Canada and I would bet that this situation will not be addressed during the campaign. To me this is a national security issue that is no dif than the encroachment of a foreign power into our territory. Factions within Canada and the USA, both right and left, will love this outcome. It will led to instability and extremism.  

Mushrooms mate 

Feed them $#@# and keep them in the dark.

• Upvote 1