The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Heard about this a few months ago.

The areas mentioned and shown on the map are lower socioeconomic populated by more than a few bogans.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/outbreaks-of-syphilis-rapidly-spreading-through-melbourne-suburbs/5ecf03a9-d3e1-4bc1-a913-d999f5edca83

• Cheers 1

Florida 911 calls released after woman killed by toddler while on Zoom call: 'There's blood everywhere'

Sun, August 15, 2021, 5:11 PM

911 calls released by police reveal the harrowing moments after a toddler shot her 21-year-old mother in the head during a Zoom call with her horrified colleagues.

Shamaya Lynn died Wednesday from the fatal gunshot to the head after her toddler found a loaded handgun left unsecured in the family’s Altamonte Springs, Florida apartment and shot her, police said.

A participant of the Zoom call dialed 911, telling a dispatcher she had seen a toddler in the background and heard a noise before Lynn fell backward and never returned to the call.

"One of the girls just passed out. She’s bleeding. She has her camera on," a coworker tells the dispatcher while trying to get more information from other colleagues.

"She just fell back and her nose was bleeding … I don't know if something hit, she hit the desk, I don't know. All I heard -- we heard a loud kaboom, and she then leaned back and we just saw blood from her face," Lynn’s colleague says. "The baby's back there crying, she's not answering or anything. We're calling her name, she's not talking or responding."

In another 911 call, the woman’s boyfriend – who was not identified – can be heard pleading with the dispatcher to send help.

"I literally just got home. And I come in the room and my girlfriend, she was working on the computer, she's just laid back. There's blood everywhere!" he says. "Come on, come on, come on! Come on now, hurry, please hurry! Please! I don't know what happened, I just went in the house. I just came through the door!"

Responding paramedics attempted to render aid but she was declared dead, police said.

No charges have been filed and the investigation is ongoing. The Altamonte Springs Police Department says it is working closely with the Seminole County State Attorney’s Office.

Police are urging gun owners to exercise basic safety precautions with firearms.

"Our message to the public is gun safety. Locking and securing your firearms," MPO Robert Ruiz Jr, with the Altamonte Springs Police, told Fox News in a statement. "Keeping them out of reach of curious children. Having a safe is ideal but if you don’t have one, gun locks are another way to secure them."

Ruiz said that the Altamonte Springs Police Department offers anyone who stops by the department a free gun lock. He also urged gun owners to keep codes and keys in a hidden area and to keep firearms separate from ammunition.

"There are so many precautions that could be taken to avoid something as tragic as this story," Ruiz said.

If it wasn't for that live Zoom call the boyfriend would probably get the electric chair.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Florida 911 calls released after woman killed by toddler while on Zoom call: 'There's blood everywhere'

911 calls released by police reveal the harrowing moments after a toddler shot her 21-year-old mother in the head during a Zoom call with her horrified colleagues.

Shamaya Lynn died Wednesday from the fatal gunshot to the head after her toddler found a loaded handgun left unsecured in the family’s Altamonte Springs, Florida apartment and shot her, police said.

A participant of the Zoom call dialed 911, telling a dispatcher she had seen a toddler in the background and heard a noise before Lynn fell backward and never returned to the call.

"One of the girls just passed out. She’s bleeding. She has her camera on," a coworker tells the dispatcher while trying to get more information from other colleagues.

"She just fell back and her nose was bleeding … I don't know if something hit, she hit the desk, I don't know. All I heard -- we heard a loud kaboom, and she then leaned back and we just saw blood from her face," Lynn’s colleague says. "The baby's back there crying, she's not answering or anything. We're calling her name, she's not talking or responding."

In another 911 call, the woman’s boyfriend – who was not identified – can be heard pleading with the dispatcher to send help.

"I literally just got home. And I come in the room and my girlfriend, she was working on the computer, she's just laid back. There's blood everywhere!" he says. "Come on, come on, come on! Come on now, hurry, please hurry! Please! I don't know what happened, I just went in the house. I just came through the door!"

Responding paramedics attempted to render aid but she was declared dead, police said.

No charges have been filed and the investigation is ongoing. The Altamonte Springs Police Department says it is working closely with the Seminole County State Attorney’s Office.

Police are urging gun owners to exercise basic safety precautions with firearms.

"Our message to the public is gun safety. Locking and securing your firearms," MPO Robert Ruiz Jr, with the Altamonte Springs Police, told Fox News in a statement. "Keeping them out of reach of curious children. Having a safe is ideal but if you don’t have one, gun locks are another way to secure them."

Ruiz said that the Altamonte Springs Police Department offers anyone who stops by the department a free gun lock. He also urged gun owners to keep codes and keys in a hidden area and to keep firearms separate from ammunition.

"There are so many precautions that could be taken to avoid something as tragic as this story," Ruiz said.

If it wasn't for that live Zoom call the boyfriend would probably get the electric chair.

you're probably right 

15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Imagine that after oh so many years of people owning guns and stories like these, they still have to put out statements that say "Yea keep away from curious children you bloody morons"

• Upvote 1

The Norwegian sovereign fund announced a quarterly gain of $150 billion. Value of that fund is currently $1.4 Trillion. This fund was financed by North Sea oil that Norway exploited in a very calculated effort to secure their long term welfare. 

The fact that Canada has not replicated the same effort that the Norwegians have managed is a serious failure for Canada. Canada should be producing 5-6 million barrels of oil daily. Canadian crude has one of the lowest carbon footprints in the world. It could be displacing other world crude oil with questionable environmental impacts. As a country Canada is continually subject to manipulation by global powers who impose their interests on us. Currently it is the USA and China. I will give the Liberal government credit for Trans Mountain pipeline but it is not enough and it is 10 years late. Not defending Keystone XL more vigorously was a slap to our sovereignty and defied the precepts of continental energy security laid out in NAFTA. The fact that Biden called on OPEC to produce more oil is a glaring example of how the Americans use Canada. 

At what point will Canadians realize that our sovereignty is threatened daily, our well being is less than what it should be. Charting a independent path takes political resolve which is in short supply in this country. I highly doubt the issue of threats to our national security is even debated during this election campaign. 

On 8/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, Boudrias said:

The Norwegian sovereign fund announced a quarterly gain of $150 billion. Value of that fund is currently $1.4 Trillion. This fund was financed by North Sea oil that Norway exploited in a very calculated effort to secure their long term welfare. 

The fact that Canada has not replicated the same effort that the Norwegians have managed is a serious failure for Canada. Canada should be producing 5-6 million barrels of oil daily. Canadian crude has one of the lowest carbon footprints in the world. It could be displacing other world crude oil with questionable environmental impacts. As a country Canada is continually subject to manipulation by global powers who impose their interests on us. Currently it is the USA and China. I will give the Liberal government credit for Trans Mountain pipeline but it is not enough and it is 10 years late. Not defending Keystone XL more vigorously was a slap to our sovereignty and defied the precepts of continental energy security laid out in NAFTA. The fact that Biden called on OPEC to produce more oil is a glaring example of how the Americans use Canada. 

At what point will Canadians realize that our sovereignty is threatened daily, our well being is less than what it should be. Charting a independent path takes political resolve which is in short supply in this country. I highly doubt the issue of threats to our national security is even debated during this election campaign. 

I see the CEO of the Norg Sovereign Fund warning of global inflation on the horizon. Canada hit 3.7% YoY the other day.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, UnkNuk said:

Makes you wonder what happens if theTaliban does attack the US Embassy and kidnaps, wounds or kills American staff.

Does the whole cycle start over again?

Go to the Canadian embassy and film a sci-fi film if that happens.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think the popular choice would be Geordi LaForge.....If the show runners are paying attention (and the fact that Richards is stepping aside suggests they are) Burton would be the consensus choice.

Still, I never underestimate the ability of upper management to misread the room....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the popular choice would be Geordi LaForge.....If the show runners are paying attention (and the fact that Richards is stepping aside suggests they are) Burton would be the consensus choice.

Still, I never underestimate the ability of upper management to misread the room....

I'll do it, keep the Sudbury lineage going

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

David Faber was very good in his stint. But no one knows who he is.

I'm behind on my watching, and only about halfway through Faber's time on the show.  I think he is perfect for the job, if he threw his hat in for the full time position.

When I saw the lineup back when all this started, I had very high hopes for Levar, figuring he could even be the best of the bunch.  Sadly, I found him quite disappointing (middle-of-the-pack as far as these guest hosts have gone).  The way he was going there, it makes me wonder if his hearing is failing, the way he was slow to react to contestants and the times he would nearly yell out YES! every once in a while after a correct response/question.  It got to a point where we were imitating him before he would do it.

If Levar does get the job after all, hopefully it was all nerves and he settles in fine.

Be interested to see what happens with Mayim Bialik on the prime time version.  She was quite good, so glad they kept her involved.

• Cheers 1