The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On 10/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, gurn said:

Wish I lived in the city this happened in, I'd have a new favourite place to eat.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/woman’s-mistaken-call-to-a-sandwich-shop-saves-her-brother/ar-BBOYKif?ocid=spartandhp

Lisa Nagengast’s plane touched down in Tampa on Saturday evening, and the first thing she did before getting out of her seat was listen to her voice mail. That was when panic set in.

This Week's Circulars

t was her brother, Greg Holeman, an Army veteran, whom she had just returned from visiting in Nebraska following his back surgery. He was in extreme pain, something was wrong with his incision site, and he couldn’t feel his left leg, he said. He was alone with no one to call for help. He couldn’t afford a taxi, and he didn’t know if his veteran’s insurance would pay for an ambulance.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

“I’m going to drive myself to the hospital,” Holeman, 48, said on the voice mail.

Nagengast immediately called him back and forbade him from driving. Give me the name and number of your social worker, she said, and I’ll call her and she’ll send help. He dictated a number for Pam, his social worker, and Nagengast, 50, wrote it down on a napkin.

She dialed Pam as she started walking off the plane, where there was a lot of background noise.

When someone answered the line, Nagengast quickly and forcefully explained who she was and that her brother needed a ride to the hospital. He didn’t have money for a cab, and there were no ride-sharing services in his small town of Columbus, Neb.

“Let me get my manager for you,” the voice on the other end said.

When the manager picked up, Nagengast repeated her story. “I need you to help me. If you need me to pay for it, I will. We have to get this done.”

The manager said that he had some drivers and that he could send one to help her brother. He’d call her back in 15 minutes.

By then, Nagengast, an IT consultant, had walked her way through the airport and into her husband’s waiting car.

“Was I mean to him?” she asked her husband. She felt extra pressure to help her brother, she said, because both of their parents and their sister were deceased, so the two siblings had only each other for support.

Her husband assured her that, no, she wasn’t mean, she had merely conveyed that it was an emergency.

A few minutes later, Nagengast’s phone rang, and a man identifying himself as Zach said he was ready to take her brother to the hospital. He just needed her brother’s name and address, he said.

“Don’t you have it in his file?” Nagengast snapped at him incredulously.

Zach responded: “You called Jimmy John’s.”

Nagengast was silent for a moment.

“You mean, like, the food place Jimmy John’s?” she asked, realizing that she must have dialed the wrong number.

Zach confirmed that she had called the sandwich chain, not Pam, the social worker.

“I was like, ‘I’m so sorry, I called the wrong number,’ ” Nagengast said. “I’m so sorry.”

Zach, whose last name is Hillmer, assured her it was no problem.

“I’ll take your brother to the hospital,” he said. “You just need to give me his name and address.”

Hillmer, also a military veteran, is familiar with post-traumatic stress disorder and asked whether Holeman would be okay getting into his car.

“I will call him and make him get in the car with you,” she said.

Thirty minutes later, Nagengast called her brother’s phone, and he confirmed that he was at the hospital. It turned out that his bandage needed changing and his medication an adjustment. He went home later that evening in a cab — which the hospital paid for.

Jason Voss, the 19-year-old Jimmy John’s manager with whom Nagengast spoke, said it was pretty clear she had no idea she’d misdialed.

Lisa Nagengast.© Lisa Nagengast/ Lisa Nagengast.

He said he was making sandwiches that evening when his girlfriend, who also works at the shop, answered Nagengast’s call. Confused, she handed him the phone and he listened to Nagengast’s story.

“I was pretty sure she had no idea it was Jimmy John’s,” Voss said. “I didn’t think I needed to say anything. It didn’t seem relevant at that moment.”

He said he listened to her story and could hear the desperation in her voice and thought he could be of service.

“Somebody needed help, and I got on it as quick as I could,” Voss said. “I was going to go myself, but I was manager and I didn’t think that was the best option.”

Since local media reported the story, Voss said he has been interviewed several times, including on live radio.

“I feel like stuff like this happens all the time, and it’s interesting people are taking an interest in it now. People feel like they need something, anything good right now,” he said. “Something like this is really small, but if it helps people, that’s good.”

Read more:

Thanks for posting this.

All we seem to talk about is the crappy side of our species.

This reminds me there are quite a lot of good people out there.

Another study to show what we already know.

Canadians are more polite on Twitter, Americans more negative — study looked at 40M tweets

It seems the stereotype that Canadians tend to be more positive and polite than Americans is true — at least when it comes to language use on Twitter. Sorry! 

A new study published by McMaster University researchers Wednesday analyzed nearly 40 million tweets from both countries including some from Donald Trump during his campaign to become President.

While the team found the vast majority (99.66 per cent) of words, emojis and emoticons were not drastically different, a list of words which were typed out most disproportionately by Twitter users in Canada and our neighbours to the south shows a distinct difference in tone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/mcmaster-linguistics-twitter-u-s-canada-trump-1.4915955

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I wish I could set up dominoes that well

I was actually waiting for someone to try and blame ISIS or Al Qaeda....

....saying the it looked like a "controlled demolition" and/or that "shelves just don't collapse that way".....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it must have been stamped "Air Mail".....

The way it all happens so fast to the point where he doesn't have time to put his hands up to protect his face, is hilarious.

Have to give the poor guy credit for getting up less than a minute after that face plant. Damn!

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The way it all happens so fast to the point where he doesn't have time to put his hands up to protect his face, is hilarious.

Have to give the poor guy credit for getting up less than a minute after that face plant. Damn!

I love the way he just walks away afterward.....

....."Yup. I'm fired......"

• Upvote 1

Many people have exaggerated their education on a resume, in order to try and land that dream job....

.....just don't try it in Greece:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/10-years-in-prison-for-exaggerating-her-elementary-school-record/ar-BBQ2jSv?li=AAqARMz

ATHENS, Greece — A prosecutor on Greece’s Supreme Court is set to intervene in a case of educational fraud that has roiled the country and united political parties, labor unions and rights groups: A 53-year-old cleaner is serving 10 years in prison for falsifying her primary school diploma to get a public sector job.

An initial court ruling two years ago handed the woman a 15-year prison term for defrauding the public; the sentence was reduced this month, and she has been in Thiva prison in central Greece ever since.

An online petition for her release had drawn more than 20,000 signatures by Friday afternoon.

“This decision is not simply inhumane,” the Hellenic League for Human Rights said of the decision to sentence her to jail for 10 years. “It is another very indicative sign of permanent ailments in the criminal justice system.”

The unidentified cleaner had worked at a state kindergarten in Volos, in central Greece, for 18 years, until a review in 2014 revealed that she had doctored a certificate to show she had completed six years of primary education (roughly elementary level) instead of only five. Six years is the required term for primary school students to complete their education.

....that's a justice system that even Jeff Sessions would be proud of....:blink:

On 11/14/2018 at 10:35 PM, Sean Monahan said:

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/siamese-twins-in-vicious-legal-battle-over-right-to-masturbate/

Alfred and Wilbert Peterson were born joined at the waist and facing each other, and spent their entire life this way.

They have two sets of arms and legs and their own hearts and stomachs but share a lower digestive tract and a penis.

This shared penis has become a major source of conflict between the twins over recent years, and Alfred is now going to court to keep his brother from masturbating.

clearly the boys need some alone time

does that make wilbert an exhibitionist

and alfred a voyeur?

the issues these 2 have to deal with are mindboggling

On 11/22/2018 at 3:12 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I love the way he just walks away afterward.....

....."Yup. I'm fired......"

actually that guy is pretty athletic

he must have a background in football

he gets pulled over by the dolly 

but has the presence of mind to fully stretch his body as he is flying through the air

so that the impact is spread over his entire body and he is also able to slide to reduce /spread out the force

good that he did not try to put down an arm or he would have broken it

he also lifts his head so there is no contact with the ground

i simply see a guy with a strong football background

but maybe there is some pre existing brain injury symptoms as well

i mean, did he not realize he was elevated on the back of a truck ? :P

Nice to see some positive news once in a while. These two boys are pretty amazing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/brothers-age-7-and-10-perform-cpr-to-save-grandmother-in-cardiac-arrest/ar-BBQ8SYo?li=AAggXBV

It was a Saturday night and seven-year-old Grayson Wu said that he knew something was wrong with his grandma when he asked for a snack and she didn't answer.

"So I looked over and she was, like..." he said.

"Unconscious, on the couch," interjects ten-year-old Kian Wu, rolling his head back and opening his mouth wide to illustrate.

"She looked really dead," adds Grayson. "Spit was going back into her mouth. She was grunting a little."

He makes a gurgling sound.

It was Nov. 10 and the brothers were having a sleepover at their grandma's house. They'd just watched a movie when 62-year-old Patti Chatterson had a massive heart attack and went into full cardiac arrest.

"It was so scary. I didn't want to let our grandma die," said Grayson.

"We just acted," said Kian.

Lee Chatterson Wu said she hadn't planned on teaching CPR to her young boys.

Back in June, Kian had a sleepover party to celebrate his tenth birthday. The boys were all playing downstairs.

"There was a little boy there whose parents are medical professionals and they've taught their kids things like this. The kids were all downstairs watching a movie and I heard this little boy yell out, 'It's cardiac arrest, start CPR.'  So I made a big deal about it, I said you're very smart and good job," she said.

"And my boys asked me to teach them."

Chatterson Wu is a nurse and said she ran the boys through the basics.

"Where to do compressions, how to do compressions, the breaths, plugging the nose, covering the mouth. It wasn't a very in-depth teaching of it," she said.

"I honestly didn't think they'd ever need it, or that it was necessarily an important thing to teach them at the ages of 7 and 10."

Kian and Grayson say they first tried calling their Mom and Dad, but they didn't pick up. So Grayson said they had to call 9-1-1.

Kian had already started chest compressions.

"We gave them our address, and then we told them that our grandma was unconscious and not waking up and not breathing and had no pulse. And then we checked her nose, and she wasn't breathing," said Kian.

"There was no air coming out," adds Grayson.

The 911 operator walked the boys through the steps on the phone. They got their grandma off the couch and onto the floor.

Kian continued with compressions, hard enough to crack her ribs, while Grayson plugged her nose and gave her breaths.

Seven minutes later, the paramedics arrived.

Patti Chatterson said she knows that she's lucky to be alive.

Like her daughter, she is also a nurse.

"Cardiac arrest is a complete heart stop. Everything shuts right down, there's nothing working," she said.

"Not too many people recover from cardiac arrest. They just don't, if they're not witnessed."

Chatterson said she has no recollection of that day. Her first clear memory is waking up four days later in the cardiac care unit at Royal University Hospital, under the care of her co-workers.

It's through their stories that she pieced together what happened.

"From the time I actually arrested until probably I got loaded into the ambulance, I'm thinking it was a good 10, 12 minutes or so. They had to re-start my heart five times in the house because it kept stopping and starting," she said.

"A terrible experience, one that I would never want to repeat."

Aside from cracked ribs and the memory loss, she's made a complete recovery. Her medical background gives her a full appreciation of her luck.

"With cardiac arrest, there's usually just three outcomes. Death, you can survive it and be completely brain dead, or my recovery," she said.

Lee Chatterson Wu said that she now recommends that parents teach their kids the lifesaving technique.

"I hadn't shown them thinking they would ever need it," she said.

"But obviously, in this situation, it was important, it saved my Mom's life. They've done an amazing thing with it, so I would definitely be a big advocate of that."

Greta job, Kian and Grayson...

• Upvote 1

If you've ever been to Pincher Creek, this story will come as no surprise:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/lesbian-couple-made-to-quit-jobs-for-being-‘too-gay’/ar-BBQq260?li=AAggFp5

A lesbian couple from Alberta, western Canada, have said they were driven out of their emergency services jobs for being “too gay.”

Lesbian couple Sheri and Alyssa Monk claimed that they were discriminated against and treated differently to their heterosexual colleagues.

The pair quit their jobs at Pincher Creek Emergency Services in Pincher Creek back in July 2017.

Lesbian couple told colleagues offended by use of word “wife”

The lesbian couple have since filed a complaint with Alberta’s Human Rights Commission about their treatment.

Speaking to CBC News’ Go Public investigative team, Sheri explained that she and Alyssa, one of five married couples in their detachment, were called into a meeting with then-deputy chief Margaret Cox in May 2017.

“We approached people and apologised for being too gay. We wanted to know what we had done wrong.”

—Sheri Monk

We landed another rover on Mars a few weeks ago.

I remember the wonder I and many others on this forum felt when we landed a rover a few years back.

There was a thread that existed for months that many people contributed to.

Now all we seem to be concerned about is trump and shootings of one sort or another.....sigh.....

Edited by Ilunga

if there's anything to this, I'm looking forward to living until I'm 250 years old....

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/101-old-wwii-veteran-coors-light

Forget green juices and turmeric smoothies — one man credits his longevity to a different kind of beverage.

Andrew E. Slavonic, who celebrated his 101st birthday on Dec. 1 with his family and friends in McMurray, Penn., has been drinking one Coors Light every day at 4 p.m. for the past 15 years.

“In 1996, he actually started drinking regular Coors beer,” Andrew’s son, Bob Slavonic, told Fox News. “He switched to Coors Light beer about 15 years ago. I think I am the one to blame for the switch because that is all that I have been drinking for about the past 25 years.”

Just imagine if he was drinking beer.....

• Haha 1